[Movies] The Avengers 2

Since it's a big movie, I know Tom Kane won't do the voice, but he should. The Next Avengers (despite being unbelievably terrible) had him doing the voice and it was the only redeeming part of the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1374535761][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who's the first?
Dr. Doom

Since it's a big movie, I know Tom Kane won't do the voice, but he should. The Next Avengers (despite being unbelievably terrible) had him doing the voice and it was the only redeeming part of the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1374535761][/DOUBLEPOST]

Dr. Doom
How pissed are you at what the Fantastic Four films did to him? I mean, seriously, Julian McMahon.

I kinda agree with charlie. I don't know why everyone hated Julian McMahon so much as doom. He was significantly arrogant and calculating for me.

I kinda agree with charlie. I don't know why everyone hated Julian McMahon so much as doom. He was significantly arrogant and calculating for me.
I agree. He did a solid job. But the rest of those movies were terrible, and I prefer to pretend they didn't exist.

He did the best he could, but I felt he was horribly miscast. Arrogant and calculating, yes, but without any of the presence and gravitas of a major villain like Doom.

Though, of course, when it comes to miscast people in the Fantastic Four, we have Jessica Alba...

He did the best he could, but I felt he was horribly miscast. Arrogant and calculating, yes, but without any of the presence and gravitas of a major villain like Doom.

Though, of course, when it comes to miscast people in the Fantastic Four, we have Jessica Alba...
To be fair, I don't know if Jessica Alba's poor performance was because of her acting ability, or simply very poor directing. I honestly haven't seen her in enough roles to get a judgment of her ability.

To be fair, I don't know if Jessica Alba's poor performance was because of her acting ability, or simply very poor directing. I honestly haven't seen her in enough roles to get a judgment of her ability.
I suspect poor directing has more than a little to do with it. The first movie was on TV recently, and I watched some of it, and I was struck by how much it felt like movie hackery. It was the cinematography, or the acting, or the effects, or the script, or something, I don't know. It just felt cheap and bad throughout.

Still though. Jessica Alba.

Poor directing. She's spoken out numerous times about how the director of the movies wanted her to just be a pretty face and basically refused to let her use her acting ability.

Anyone who thinks Julian McMahon did a solid job has never read a Dr.Doom book in their life.

Was he a good movie villain? Sure, he did some great acting as a villain.

Was he a solid/good Dr.Doom? Fuck no.

Anyone who thinks Julian McMahon did a solid job has never read a Dr.Doom book in their life.

Was he a good movie villain? Sure, he did some great acting as a villain.

Was he a solid/good Dr.Doom? Fuck no.
That there basically tells me that it wouldn't have mattered who was cast, you wouldn't have been satisfied with anyone.

Or, you're just kneejerk disagreeing with Charlie.

That there basically tells me that it wouldn't have mattered who was cast, you wouldn't have been satisfied with anyone.

Or, you're just kneejerk disagreeing with Charlie.
That made zero sense. Just because I think he made a good villain but not a good Doom suddenly that means noone can do a good Doom? Your train of thought is strange. There's different ways to play a villain, McMahon did a good one, just not a Doom style one.

That made zero sense. Just because I think he made a good villain but not a good Doom suddenly that means noone can do a good Doom? Your train of thought is strange. There's different ways to play a villain, McMahon did a good one, just not a Doom style one.
He was calculating, arrogant, manipulative, and self aggrandizing. I'm not really sure what books you were reading with Dr. Doom in them, but that pretty much is the character in a nutshell. The only thing that was extremely UN doom was the fact that they shoehorned in some love bullshit with Sue that is just... well, gross. But that's not the actor's fault, that's the writer's fault.

His performance in the second movie was way better because that didn't exist anymore.

watered down arrogance, hardly manipulative, and not that self-agrandizing. I have to agree with Gilgamesh, Movie Doom is hardly worthy of being called Doom.

It's sounding like you guys want some sort of over the top hammyness that would look stupid as hell on film.
No, but someone who genuinely strikes fear into his subordinates with a regal lord style to him instead of some evil CEO style villainy.

It's sounding like you guys want some sort of over the top hammyness that would look stupid as hell on film.
Considering this is in an Avengers thread about a sequel to a movie that did everything that "you can't do in a movie because it would look stupid as hell on film", yes. Doctor Doom chews the hell out of scenery and is chock full of over the top hammyness. That's a big part of what makes him the number one Marvel villain. Julian McMahon might has well been playing the Wizard.

See, there, you're blaming the actor for the shitty writing.
By that logic Halle Berry was a great Catwoman, it's not her fault the script was shit.

By that logic Halle Berry was a great Catwoman, it's not her fault the script was shit.

She's a great actress, but there's only so much she could do with that writing.

But yeah, you know how Loki was in Avengers? Pompous, full of himself, believing that people should kneel before him because that's just how things should be? That's closer to what Doom should've been like. McMahon could've done that very well, and for what he was given, he acted well enough. But the way Doom was written was not Doom. He was closer to Lex Luthor.

When I watched Catwoman, I couldn't even enjoy Halle Berry in a revealing catsuit. That's how bad the movie was.

Dr. Doom is supposed to be hammy. In the comics he refers to himself in the third person and monologues every diabolical plan. "Dr. Doom now has the power to dominate the world and shape it to his will! You will all bow down and grovel, for your DOOM is at hand! Nyeh heh heh... nyeh heh heh! BAHAHAHA!!!" And yes, he's fighting Kiss in the below comic. The 70s must have been one hell of a decade.

By the way, just to let folks know, there was a teaser clip to go along with the announcement of Age of Ultron.

Namely, it depicted Iron Man's helmet twisting and distorting into Ultron's head. They've said that Hank Pym won't be in it, so here's my theory at the moment:

Based upon Iron Man 3, I think that Tony Stark will create an Iron Man armor with its own artificial intelligence, so that there can still be an Iron Man to fight with the Avengers while he can focus his time on Pepper. Suffice to say that something goes wrong with the AI and results in Ultron.

Based upon Iron Man 3, I think that Tony Stark will create an Iron Man armor with its own artificial intelligence, so that there can still be an Iron Man to fight with the Avengers while he can focus his time on Pepper. Suffice to say that something goes wrong with the AI and results in Ultron.
I totally called that a page back. ;)

Having a Quicksilver without Magneto is going to be... weird.
You mean because the character is almost exclusively defined by his daddy issues? :p

I'm obviously not the biggest Quicksilver fan, even if he was featured prominently in my favorite run of X-Factor.

Eh, as I said before, Quicksilver is just as defined - if not more - as an Avenger as he is as Magneto's loin droppings. They could just have him and Scarlet Witch as former criminals looking to redeem themselves. That'd be the same as the comics, just without the mutant or Magneto connection. I think they can even use the term "mutant," but I don't know if the term is owned by Fox as well. But yeah, they could still be former terrorists or something, maybe even current terrorists at the start of the movie.

Of course, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him because, frankly speaking, he's not a very interesting character. Then again, I feel that way about the majority of X-Men characters. I find a lot of them very flat, defined by their powers or ethnicity. See: Gambit.

It'd be funny if they try to drop some not-so-subtle hints.

"Yeah, my dad was half German, half Irish. Died in a shootout in a tavern's basement, back in World War Two. Apparently he's also got some Spartan blood in him."

Quicksilver is great. He's a complete and total dick because all he wants to do is go 700 miles per hour at all times and everyone he knows mooooooooooooves sooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. I remember one line in an old comic where he described his life as being eternally in the slowest line of the DMV.