:awesome:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The Wonder Twins!

:awesome:
THAT'S DC, NUMBSKULL!

Covar

Covar

Thought those two were tied up in the X-Men license (for some reason)? Including She-Hulk would be awesome (dreaming).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Thought those two were tied up in the X-Men license (for some reason)? Including She-Hulk would be awesome (dreaming).
Apparently, since they also have very strong ties with Avengers (arguably stronger than X-Men), it's one of those "DIBS!" kind of things. Whoever can get them on screen first gets to use them.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Marvel is getting the ball rolling already, airing commercials for their commercials for this movie!

Frank

Frank

That's so bizarre that Magneto's kids are in the Marvel Studios universe and not the FoX-Men universe.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Not bad.

What I'm really hoping is that Guardians of the Galaxy leads to a Nova movie. If that's ever announced the first two words out of my mouth will be "blue blazes!"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I should say that, as much as I love Rocket Racoon, it's sad that he'll make his big screen debut before Flash, Wonder Woman, or Martian Manhunter. And maybe Aquaman.

Tress

Tress

DC just cannot get their shit together. They had two good Superman movies a few decades ago and caught lightning in a bottle with the Nolan/Bale Batman films. Everything else they've done (non-animated) is embarrassingly amateur.

Frank

Frank

Oh come on, the first Burton Batman movie is why there's superhero movies now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ehhhh, I don't know about that. I think Blade, followed by X-Men, and then especially Spider-Man had more of a hand in giving us all the superhero movies we have today.

Frank

Frank

The mad snapping up of superhero properties by the studios happened after the massive buzz and success Batman had in 1989. I know a lot of you folks are younger than me, but those of you my age or older can't be forgetting the fucking insane crazy anticipation for Batman. Everyone was nuts for it. The superhero genre was all but dead until Batman. You can dislike it all you want, but you can't deny it's success.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh, I won't deny its success at all. Though I will admit the Burton movies have not aged well.

That said, while we did get a slew of superhero movies, there were only a handful that were of any great quality. Sure, we got Ninja Turtles, Darkman, The Rocketeer, but for every one of those, we got quite a few stinkers, too. The quality ration of good to bad didn't really start until after Blade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Keaton's Batman may have revived the Superhero movie genre but after 2 films, it killed it again too.

Frank

Frank

Keaton's Batman may have revived the Superhero movie genre but after 2 films, it killed it again too.
Almost, for sure, but the studios bought up all those rights during those times. That's when the X-Men rights were picked up and James Cameron finally let go of his stranglehold on Spider-Man.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's also fair to say that Batman would never have been made had the Christopher Reeve Superman movies hadn't done so well.

As to DC, really, they should have been poised to do what Marvel did years ago. They've been owned by WB for quite some time, they don't have to worry about liscencing all over the place because they never had to split their properties to multiple studios like Marvel did. All around, DC has done a piss poor job of making a coherent universe for their movies. As much as I love the Bale Batman movies, they don't feel like part of a larger universe like the Marvel Studios movies do.

What I'm really excited about is the fact that they said after they do their super mega-star movies in the marvel universe, we'll start to see wierder properties. I can't wait for the Dr. Strange movie.

Frank

Frank

It's also fair to say that Batman would never have been made had the Christopher Reeve Superman movies hadn't done so well.

As to DC, really, they should have been poised to do what Marvel did years ago. They've been owned by WB for quite some time, they don't have to worry about liscencing all over the place because they never had to split their properties to multiple studios like Marvel did. All around, DC has done a piss poor job of making a coherent universe for their movies. As much as I love the Bale Batman movies, they don't feel like part of a larger universe like the Marvel Studios movies do.

What I'm really excited about is the fact that they said after they do their super mega-star movies in the marvel universe, we'll start to see wierder properties. I can't wait for the Dr. Strange movie.
Well, really, they're already going with some of the weirder shit with GotG. I'm really stoked for that.

Covar

Covar

That's because the Marvel Studio movies were produced by studio created by Marvel for the purpose of having control (and profits) of their properties on the big screen. Any movie based on a DC property is going to be produced by Warner Bros. a movie company that owns the rights for the DC properties because they bought them. It's kind of unfair when people blame DC for this as WB has all the control in the process.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's because the Marvel Studio movies were produced by studio created by Marvel for the purpose of having control (and profits) of their properties on the big screen. Any movie based on a DC property is going to be produced by Warner Bros. a movie company that owns the rights for the DC properties because they bought them. It's kind of unfair when people blame DC for this as WB has all the control in the process.
DC is a division of WB now. Look at the animated universe. It doesn't run into an liscencing issues because they're all under one roof. Of course DC doesn't have direct studio control, but it would be extremely easy to pull characters together. Particularly given the success that Marvel Studios has had, WB is just plain stupid to not follow suit.

Frank

Frank

DC is a division of WB now. Look at the animated universe. It doesn't run into an liscencing issues because they're all under one roof. Of course DC doesn't have direct studio control, but it would be extremely easy to pull characters together. Particularly given the success that Marvel Studios has had, WB is just plain stupid to not follow suit.
That's not entirely true, they run into infighting issues too(the Batman character embargo on Justice League).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The problem with DC being owned by Warner Bros is honestly WB themselves. For one, they have no flipping idea how to make a superhero movie that isn't Batman. They wanted the new Superman to be dark, dark, dark, which had me worried but the latest trailer has my hopes up. Two, they don't seem keen on just making a good, fun superhero movie like Marvel is all willing to do. They seem wanting to make big budget arthouse movies ala the newer Bat-movies.

They seem afraid to just let the superhero stuff go nuts and have fun. Then again, I suppose they attempted that with Green Lantern and they completely fell flat on their face.

EDIT: I agree that the lack of spin-off division devoted just to making the movies like Marvel has is a distinct problem. Look at the animated division. They've done an amazing job. I'd love to see Bruce Timm have his own live-action division for all things DC, but I read somewhere that Timm has no interest in anything live-action and firmly believes animation gets a bum rap. Which I agree on, but if it meant we get Timm doing live action, I wish he'd make the sacrifice.

Shawn

Shawn

I wish Marvel movies were all sunshine and rainbows.
Then I remember the Fantastic 4 movies and weep rivers.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I wish Marvel movies were all sunshine and rainbows.
Then I remember the Fantastic 4 movies and weep rivers.
That movie wasn't produced by Marvel Studios, both were produced by Fox.

Shawn

Shawn

That movie wasn't produced by Marvel Studios, both were produced by Fox.
Well... it certainly makes sense now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fox currently owns the rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and I believe a few others. It really sucks.

Shawn

Shawn

Fox currently owns the rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and I believe a few others. It really sucks.
I was under the impression that Disney had the rights to Spider-Man and they were responsible for the reboot.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sorry, Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man.

Disney owns Marvel.

Shawn

Shawn

Sorry, Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man.

Disney owns Marvel.
Sounds like Disney has a hand in the films though.

Frank

Frank

The rights to Daredevil just reverted to Marvel.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sounds like Disney has a hand in the films though.
Not Spider-Man, they don't have the movie rights to the character. Sony can do whatever they want with him, movie wise. They make money off the movies via licensing fees and merchandising, but beyond that, they have nothing to do with them. They really don't have anything to do with the current Marvel movies beyond financial backing and distribution. Marvel Studios is backed by Disney, but they don't fall under the Disney movie production umbrella. Marvel Studios is basically Avi Arad's show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The problem with DC being owned by Warner Bros is honestly WB themselves. For one, they have no flipping idea how to make a superhero movie that isn't Batman. They wanted the new Superman to be dark, dark, dark, which had me worried but the latest trailer has my hopes up. Two, they don't seem keen on just making a good, fun superhero movie like Marvel is all willing to do. They seem wanting to make big budget arthouse movies ala the newer Bat-movies.

They seem afraid to just let the superhero stuff go nuts and have fun. Then again, I suppose they attempted that with Green Lantern and they completely fell flat on their face.

EDIT: I agree that the lack of spin-off division devoted just to making the movies like Marvel has is a distinct problem. Look at the animated division. They've done an amazing job. I'd love to see Bruce Timm have his own live-action division for all things DC, but I read somewhere that Timm has no interest in anything live-action and firmly believes animation gets a bum rap. Which I agree on, but if it meant we get Timm doing live action, I wish he'd make the sacrifice.
Someone being good at animation doesn't mean they'll be good at live action. See: Andrew Stanton, director of Finding Nemo and Wall-E, taking on John Carter. Now, I like that movie and it's still good, but the reason the budget was so high and there were so many bumps in the road development-wise is because Stanton planned it out like he was doing an animated film and caused a lot of headaches for Disney. The nice thing about animated films is that you can make everything at once. You don't have to worry about a 30-day shoot, feeding and housing actors and extras, etc.

So I'm not saying Timm wouldn't make a good movie, but WB would likely bring the hammer down either while he was making it, thus stifling his vision, or afterward, killing a lot of potential with comic book movies from their company.

At this point, I don't really care what WB does with the DC property. Marvel was smart--they hired the right people to do work that made sense for those filmmakers. WB wants what's popular. It's like comparing Pixar and Dreamworks from a few years ago, before Dreamworks started making really good animated films. Pixar would get voice actors to match their vision; Dreamworks would get name actors to do their voices. Marvel gets people who get their material; WB wants people who are popular.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They also own the rights to the X-Men, as well as mutants in general. So Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver probably aren't going to be mutants, unless Marvel and Fox came to a deal.

The Fantastic Four deal excludes Silver Surfer and Galactus because of a deal Marvel made to let Fox keep the FF rights. Don't be surprised if they show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Expect to hear stuff on Ghost Rider 3 soon, though Nicholas Cage already said he won't be involved. This means the franchise will ether be reverting to Marvel or a deal will be made.

Unless that Deadpool movie is in production, it's likely the rights will be reverting to Marvel soon.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Unless that Deadpool movie is in production, it's likely the rights will be reverting to Marvel soon.
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please
I'm just going by the time frame... the last Fantastic 4 movie was released the same year as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which depicted Deadpool (kinda). If they were willing to make a deal to extend the rights on one, that probably meant that the rights were being threatened by inaction. This means that Deadpool, as a character, is probably going back home unless the upcoming Wolverine 2 movie resets that timer.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Y'know, if they did another FF movie/reboot under Marvel Studios, I'd love to see a story involving Namor. It's perfect for adaption to the big screen due to the romantic triangle with Sue/Namor/Reed.

I just wish Spider-Man would revert to Marvel Studios. Imagine a Spider-Man movie written by Joss Whedon. If anyone would be able to write his banter well, it would be him. All his protagonists have their bad guy fight banter down to a science.

Tress

Tress

I could never get into Namor. What's the appeal? Did I just not see any good storylines?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I could never get into Namor. What's the appeal? Did I just not see any good storylines?
I think he was best when he was a Villain. His imperious attitude lends itself far better to villainy than to heroism. Plus, for a while, he kind of had Sue Storm wrapped around his finger.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Personally, I'm ecstatic to see Spider-Man as far away from Whedon's film career as possible.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Personally, I'm ecstatic to see Spider-Man as far away from Whedon's film career as possible.
All the more reason for anyone to look forward to it actually happening :)

bhamv3

bhamv3

The Amazing Spider-Man was pretty decent, I thought. Well, apart from the inconsistent and often perplexing Lizard.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've already said my piece on ASM. I'm still baffled by people liking that movie.

Frank

Frank

All the more reason for anyone to look forward to it actually happening :)
But it won't. Ever.

I've already said my piece on ASM. I'm still baffled by people liking that movie.
And this too.

evilmike

evilmike

The main villain in Avengers 2 isn't going to be Thanos...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hope they're doing this for a good reason and not just to tie in with the recent comic storyline, because I was really looking forward to Thanos.

Covar

Covar

Thank Goodness. An Avengers villain for an Avengers movie. Plus now we'll get Wasp and Ant/Giant Man.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Step 1: Tease Thanos.
Step 2: Use Ultron, instead.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Fuck ton of profit, anyway.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll be seeing this bad boy ASAP, anyway. I have faith in Whedon.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

/thread

Zappit

Zappit

Thanks gets teased for Guardians of the Galaxy, and we get one of the all-time great Avengers villains instead?

I have no problem with this. Ultron frikkin' rocks.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Hell yeah!

*plus Thanos is probably getting more build-up in GotG.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Thanos does seem the better villain for the final part of the Trilogy, since all these movies seem to be made with a 3rd movie in mind.

Frank

Frank

FUCK YEAH ULTRON!

Age of Ultron is fucking awful, but that doesn't mean shit. I want Ultron main villain movie right now DIRECTLY IN MY VEINS!

Ultron's my second favorite Marvel villain.

Just sayin'.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Henry Pym built Ultron, meaning we'll see Ant Man. That also means Wasp.

Tress

Tress

Ultron's my second favorite Marvel villain.
Who's the first?

I'm tentatively excited. Ultron is a fantastic villain as well as being a classic Avengers antagonist... but they had better not try do a movie version of the Age of Ultron storyline. That arc was shit, and it would be even worse if they tried to transport it to film.

Necronic

Necronic

I really hope they play up the abusive Pym angle.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Henry Pym built Ultron, meaning we'll see Ant Man. That also means Wasp.
Whedon has already said that Pym will not be in the movie, and it's not following the "Age of Ultron" series.

Tress

Tress

...and it's not following the "Age of Ultron" series.
Oh thank goodness.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I desperately want to hear something about Runaways. The movie was supposed to come out in 2012 and I don't think they've ever officially come out and said it's been canned. Some news would be good, especially considering it's one of the few Marvel properties that didn't get terrible. It got weird, but not terrible.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I desperately want to hear something about Runaways. The movie was supposed to come out in 2012 and I don't think they've ever officially come out and said it's been canned. Some news would be good, especially considering it's one of the few Marvel properties that didn't get terrible. It got weird, but not terrible.

I stopped reading it after Vaughan left. From what I've heard, it sounded like the right call.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just recently started reading Runaways through Marvel Unlimited, WHY DID I NOT READ THIS BEFORE?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's great right up til the end of the 2nd or third arc, then it gets weird and never recovers because Marvel seemed to think they should become an actual super hero team and not just a bunch of kids with powers trying to live away from just about anyone who would control them.

Really, I blame Joss Whedon. His stuff wasn't bad but it just completely changed the tone of the series for a while and it just never went back to normal.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Really glad they are going with Ultron. I really want the Avengers to be grounded on Earth for the most part. Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy can get into the whole universe part of the series. I was worried that either we would have AVENGERS IN SPACE or Thanos come down to Earth and pretty much suck because he couldn't do any big power plays. Ultron will fit better and has always been a classic enemy to the Avengers.

Though I am actually DISAPPOINTED that the second one will not have Pym. Can we at least get Wasp darn it?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm kind of concerned that without Pym, what Ultron's origin is going to be. He doesn't even have to be Ant Man, Yellowjacket, Giant Man, or any of the other fifty names he's gone by, just at least have him be the creator of Ultron.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm kind of concerned that without Pym, what Ultron's origin is going to be. He doesn't even have to be Ant Man, Yellowjacket, Giant Man, or any of the other fifty names he's gone by, just at least have him be the creator of Ultron.
Long ago they made a movie called "Next Avengers" about the Avengers having children, who are being raised by Tony Stark in the arctic after nearly the whole world was taken over by Ultron. In that movie they made no mention of Pym developing Ultron and instead said that Tony Stark developed him entirely. They might go that route. The recent cartoon even implied that Ultron was a combination of Pyrm and Tony's work.
Actually they did already set it up a bit in Iron Man 3, considering Tony had developed suits that could walk and fight on their own using the Jarvis AI. Maybe the story will go that with him "retiring" from his role as Iron Man, he makes another "suit" using a new sentient AI, which goes on to become Ultron.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Next Avengers was fucking terrible. :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Long ago they made a movie called "Next Avengers" about the Avengers having children, who are being raised by Tony Stark in the arctic after nearly the whole world was taken over by Ultron. In that movie they made no mention of Pym developing Ultron and instead said that Tony Stark developed him entirely. They might go that route. The recent cartoon even implied that Ultron was a combination of Pyrm and Tony's work.
Actually they did already set it up a bit in Iron Man 3, considering Tony had developed suits that could walk and fight on their own using the Jarvis AI. Maybe the story will go that with him "retiring" from his role as Iron Man, he makes another "suit" using a new sentient AI, which goes on to become Ultron.
I could see this happening. Plus, it would allow RDJ to take a centerpiece role in the movie, which seems to suit both RDJ and the studio just fine.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Next Avengers was fucking terrible. :p
But it had Hulk with a beard! How awesome was that?

BananaHands

BananaHands

We should make a MCU thread and merge all of these! I want to comment on everything!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I think it works better as separate threads since there are multiple release dates and discussion on one movie just flows better.

Frank

Frank

Since it's a big movie, I know Tom Kane won't do the voice, but he should. The Next Avengers (despite being unbelievably terrible) had him doing the voice and it was the only redeeming part of the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1374535761][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who's the first?
Dr. Doom

bhamv3

bhamv3

Since it's a big movie, I know Tom Kane won't do the voice, but he should. The Next Avengers (despite being unbelievably terrible) had him doing the voice and it was the only redeeming part of the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1374535761][/DOUBLEPOST]

Dr. Doom
How pissed are you at what the Fantastic Four films did to him? I mean, seriously, Julian McMahon.

Tress

Tress

How pissed are you at what the Fantastic Four films did to him? I mean, seriously, Julian McMahon.
Fantastic Four films? What are you talking about? They never made any.

Never.

Do you understand?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Julian McMahon owned and was the best part of those movies

Bowielee

Bowielee

I kinda agree with charlie. I don't know why everyone hated Julian McMahon so much as doom. He was significantly arrogant and calculating for me.

Tress

Tress

I kinda agree with charlie. I don't know why everyone hated Julian McMahon so much as doom. He was significantly arrogant and calculating for me.
I agree. He did a solid job. But the rest of those movies were terrible, and I prefer to pretend they didn't exist.

bhamv3

bhamv3

He did the best he could, but I felt he was horribly miscast. Arrogant and calculating, yes, but without any of the presence and gravitas of a major villain like Doom.

Though, of course, when it comes to miscast people in the Fantastic Four, we have Jessica Alba...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He did the best he could, but I felt he was horribly miscast. Arrogant and calculating, yes, but without any of the presence and gravitas of a major villain like Doom.

Though, of course, when it comes to miscast people in the Fantastic Four, we have Jessica Alba...
To be fair, I don't know if Jessica Alba's poor performance was because of her acting ability, or simply very poor directing. I honestly haven't seen her in enough roles to get a judgment of her ability.

bhamv3

bhamv3

To be fair, I don't know if Jessica Alba's poor performance was because of her acting ability, or simply very poor directing. I honestly haven't seen her in enough roles to get a judgment of her ability.
I suspect poor directing has more than a little to do with it. The first movie was on TV recently, and I watched some of it, and I was struck by how much it felt like movie hackery. It was the cinematography, or the acting, or the effects, or the script, or something, I don't know. It just felt cheap and bad throughout.

Still though. Jessica Alba.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Poor directing. She's spoken out numerous times about how the director of the movies wanted her to just be a pretty face and basically refused to let her use her acting ability.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Anyone who thinks Julian McMahon did a solid job has never read a Dr.Doom book in their life.

Was he a good movie villain? Sure, he did some great acting as a villain.

Was he a solid/good Dr.Doom? Fuck no.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Anyone who thinks Julian McMahon did a solid job has never read a Dr.Doom book in their life.

Was he a good movie villain? Sure, he did some great acting as a villain.

Was he a solid/good Dr.Doom? Fuck no.
That there basically tells me that it wouldn't have mattered who was cast, you wouldn't have been satisfied with anyone.

Or, you're just kneejerk disagreeing with Charlie.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That there basically tells me that it wouldn't have mattered who was cast, you wouldn't have been satisfied with anyone.

Or, you're just kneejerk disagreeing with Charlie.
That made zero sense. Just because I think he made a good villain but not a good Doom suddenly that means noone can do a good Doom? Your train of thought is strange. There's different ways to play a villain, McMahon did a good one, just not a Doom style one.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That made zero sense. Just because I think he made a good villain but not a good Doom suddenly that means noone can do a good Doom? Your train of thought is strange. There's different ways to play a villain, McMahon did a good one, just not a Doom style one.
He was calculating, arrogant, manipulative, and self aggrandizing. I'm not really sure what books you were reading with Dr. Doom in them, but that pretty much is the character in a nutshell. The only thing that was extremely UN doom was the fact that they shoehorned in some love bullshit with Sue that is just... well, gross. But that's not the actor's fault, that's the writer's fault.

His performance in the second movie was way better because that didn't exist anymore.

Covar

Covar

watered down arrogance, hardly manipulative, and not that self-agrandizing. I have to agree with Gilgamesh, Movie Doom is hardly worthy of being called Doom.

Bowielee

Bowielee

watered down arrogance, hardly manipulative, and not that self-agrandizing. I have to agree with Gilgamesh, Movie Doom is hardly worthy of being called Doom.
It's sounding like you guys want some sort of over the top hammyness that would look stupid as hell on film.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's sounding like you guys want some sort of over the top hammyness that would look stupid as hell on film.
No, but someone who genuinely strikes fear into his subordinates with a regal lord style to him instead of some evil CEO style villainy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

No, but someone who genuinely strikes fear into his subordinates with a regal lord style to him instead of some evil CEO style villainy.
See, there, you're blaming the actor for the shitty writing.

Covar

Covar

Considering this is in an Avengers thread about a sequel to a movie that did everything that "you can't do in a movie because it would look stupid as hell on film", yes. Doctor Doom chews the hell out of scenery and is chock full of over the top hammyness. That's a big part of what makes him the number one Marvel villain. Julian McMahon might has well been playing the Wizard.

See, there, you're blaming the actor for the shitty writing.
By that logic Halle Berry was a great Catwoman, it's not her fault the script was shit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

By that logic Halle Berry was a great Catwoman, it's not her fault the script was shit.

She's a great actress, but there's only so much she could do with that writing.

But yeah, you know how Loki was in Avengers? Pompous, full of himself, believing that people should kneel before him because that's just how things should be? That's closer to what Doom should've been like. McMahon could've done that very well, and for what he was given, he acted well enough. But the way Doom was written was not Doom. He was closer to Lex Luthor.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Halle Berry gets big props for accepting her Raspberry award in person, though.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It takes a lot of people to make a terrible movie.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Halle Berry was fucking AWFUL in Catwoman. I watched it. Everything about that was bad.

bhamv3

bhamv3

When I watched Catwoman, I couldn't even enjoy Halle Berry in a revealing catsuit. That's how bad the movie was.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Dr. Doom is supposed to be hammy. In the comics he refers to himself in the third person and monologues every diabolical plan. "Dr. Doom now has the power to dominate the world and shape it to his will! You will all bow down and grovel, for your DOOM is at hand! Nyeh heh heh... nyeh heh heh! BAHAHAHA!!!" And yes, he's fighting Kiss in the below comic. The 70s must have been one hell of a decade.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

By the way, just to let folks know, there was a teaser clip to go along with the announcement of Age of Ultron.

Namely, it depicted Iron Man's helmet twisting and distorting into Ultron's head. They've said that Hank Pym won't be in it, so here's my theory at the moment:

Based upon Iron Man 3, I think that Tony Stark will create an Iron Man armor with its own artificial intelligence, so that there can still be an Iron Man to fight with the Avengers while he can focus his time on Pepper. Suffice to say that something goes wrong with the AI and results in Ultron.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Based upon Iron Man 3, I think that Tony Stark will create an Iron Man armor with its own artificial intelligence, so that there can still be an Iron Man to fight with the Avengers while he can focus his time on Pepper. Suffice to say that something goes wrong with the AI and results in Ultron.
I totally called that a page back. ;)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I totally called that a page back. ;)
Darn! Sorry about missing that.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Darn! Sorry about missing that.
It's not like I have a monopoly on theories. Glad to see others think the same.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Aaron Taylor Johnson (Kick-Ass) is Quicksilver. According to the recent cast-call, Stark will indeed be the creator of Ultron.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Aaron Taylor Johnson (Kick-Ass) is Quicksilver. According to the recent cast-call, Stark will indeed be the creator of Ultron.
Having a Quicksilver without Magneto is going to be... weird.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Having a Quicksilver without Magneto is going to be... weird.
You mean because the character is almost exclusively defined by his daddy issues? :p

I'm obviously not the biggest Quicksilver fan, even if he was featured prominently in my favorite run of X-Factor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, as I said before, Quicksilver is just as defined - if not more - as an Avenger as he is as Magneto's loin droppings. They could just have him and Scarlet Witch as former criminals looking to redeem themselves. That'd be the same as the comics, just without the mutant or Magneto connection. I think they can even use the term "mutant," but I don't know if the term is owned by Fox as well. But yeah, they could still be former terrorists or something, maybe even current terrorists at the start of the movie.

Of course, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him because, frankly speaking, he's not a very interesting character. Then again, I feel that way about the majority of X-Men characters. I find a lot of them very flat, defined by their powers or ethnicity. See: Gambit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It'd be funny if they try to drop some not-so-subtle hints.

"Yeah, my dad was half German, half Irish. Died in a shootout in a tavern's basement, back in World War Two. Apparently he's also got some Spartan blood in him."

Frank

Frank

Quicksilver is great. He's a complete and total dick because all he wants to do is go 700 miles per hour at all times and everyone he knows mooooooooooooves sooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. I remember one line in an old comic where he described his life as being eternally in the slowest line of the DMV.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Quicksilver is great. He's a complete and total dick because all he wants to do is go 700 miles per hour at all times and everyone he knows mooooooooooooves sooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. I remember one line in an old comic where he described his life as being eternally in the slowest line of the DMV.
The bulk of his portrayal attributes his being a dick directly to his issues with Magneto, culminating ultimately in House of M where he uses his own sister to give his daddy the gift of power.

Shawn

Shawn

klew

klew

It seems that different movie studios have rights to certain characters and concepts. I recall earlier versions of Ultron being built of adamantium, is that still the case with Age of Ultron? Does Fox own the rights to adamantium and the word "mutants"? If Marvel is not going to have Hank Pym be the creator, I guess they change the material to vibranium, which does exist in the Marvel Studios Avengers universe. Then what about Quicksilver? Would he still be a mutant?[DOUBLEPOST=1375396506][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://io9.com/how-the-runaways-movie-that-never-happened-helped-to-fu-508826057

Bowielee

Bowielee

I am impressed that they were able to make the Iron Man armor look like the traditional Ultron.

Frank

Frank

James Spader is Ultron.

Meh.

Necronic

Necronic

Who would you prefer?

Frank

Frank

Who would you prefer?
I dunno, considering it's (probably) entirely a voice role it could be anyone really, James Spader seems like an odd choice there. I'm neither here nor there about it, which is why I meh'd it.

Necronic

Necronic

Yeah, its weird to use someone so visually recognizeable for a voice role.. I saw your mention of Tom Kane on the previous page, would have been interestign. In fairness to Spader though, he doesn't have a bad voice. I never realized that until his stint on The Office. If he does a "Robert California" Ultron, that could be sseriously creepy.

Frank

Frank

Well, I knew Tom Kane wouldn't be voicing him as they don't cast voice actors in big movies. I guess, like with Affleck, I'll just wait and see. He doesn't have a terrible voice and obviously he did enough to win over the casting director. It's not like he's needed to add "star power" to the role since they've already got like 12 billion big name actors.

Necronic

Necronic

More often than not the real make or break killer of one of these things isn't so much the actor, but the writing/directing. The discussion of Dr Doom on the previous page for instance. That was all writing/directing really. The actor is the only thing that will make a really good movie a great movie, but they are rarely what makes a movie bad.

edit: Not saying it isn't interesting who plays one of thse iconic characters.

Frank

Frank

Of course there could be so much modulation on his voice that he'll barely be recognizable, like Hugo Weaving in the Transformers movies.

evilmike

evilmike

Perhaps this is a sign that Ultron will be more of a freak than you would normally expect for a main stream movie

Gryfter

Gryfter

This news does not bother me at all. Spader can provide a good deal of menace with his voice and from the FX of the first one, I am sure Ultron will look really cool. I have confidence that Whedon knows what he is doing.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yeah, I like Spader. He always seems villainous to me - more of a douchey villain, but a villain all the same.

BananaHands

BananaHands

There's no definite source, but there are rumors that Jarvis (Paul Bettany), in an attempt to hack Ultron, needs to make physical contact.

Vision, baby.

Anonymous

Spader and Bettany? Brokeback Avengers?

Dave

Dave

Sex, Lies and Artificial Intelligence?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Jarvis becoming the Vision would be wonderful.

Zappit

Zappit

Who would you prefer?
There is always only one answer for that question.

Tim Curry.

bhamv3

bhamv3

There is always only one answer for that question.

Tim Curry.
I'd prefer Simon Templeman.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I like Spader as Ultron. I take it as a sign that Ultron will be a corrupted version of Jarvis that takes over the Stark armour. Only because I am imagining Spader voice as a Bettanys voice going menacing instead of sarcastic.

Is Elisabeth Olson really going to be Scarlet Witch? That would make her quiet young.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This just in: Bradley Cooper has been confirmed as Rocket Raccoon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108375

EDIT:...Looks like the wrong thread. My apologies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Y'know what I just realized? That movie poster isn't real, it's a deviant art picture.[DOUBLEPOST=1377913269,1377912915][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't see how people can think James Spader isn't perfect. An emotionless evil douchebag intent on destroying humanity. That's pretty much almost every role he's ever played.

Covar

Covar

I think Michael Shanks would a do a better job. :trolol:

evilmike

evilmike

From Comic Con:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

From Comic Con:
Well, that was a quick takedown.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Why take down free advertising?

Shawn

Shawn

Why take down free advertising?
Because Avengers 2 essentially sells itself.

Plus it's probably a recording of the footage. If Disney wants it to get out, they will release a high quality version themselves, and probably will.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Here it is again (at least I think, never saw the other one above), better quality. Looks like my theory that Tony Stark was going to end up being the creator of Ultron while attempting to make a AI to control his suit it pretty much a confirmed reality.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fuck yeah, that was an Ultron ass looking Ultron!

Shawn

Shawn

2015 is such a long wait.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

2015 is such a long wait.
Psh! Speak for yourself. Now, could you pass me that screwdriver? I need a hand putting together this cryogenic chamber.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Psh! Speak for yourself. Now, could you pass me that screwdriver? I need a hand putting together this cryogenic chamber.
Yeah, and then the next thing you know there's this guy in a lab coat and a dramatic voice, going "Welcome to the world of TOMORROW!"

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Yeah, and then the next thing you know there's this guy in a lab coat and a dramatic voice, going "Welcome to the world of TOMORROW!"
He would be greeted by Walt Disney when he comes out of the chamber?

Just made me think about the promotional videos for EPCOT when they started the early ideas for that park.

Covar

Covar

He would be greeted by Walt Disney when he comes out of the chamber?

Just made me think about the promotional videos for EPCOT when they started the early ideas for that park.
Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called showmanship?

Come your DESTINY AWAITS!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I was just meaning what I typed, it made me think of The Wonderful Wold of Disney that used to show on Sunday nights, and they'd show the old promo reels that Walt made about EPCOT. (and of course the modern take of that with Tony Stark and his dad with the Stark Expo stuff in IM2) It's a happy memory for me, and Bhamv3's post made me this about that this morning.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Frank

Frank

Samuel L. Jackson dropped that Elizabeth Olsen (the younger sister to Mary-Kate and Ashley and with more talent than both combined) has been cast as Scarlet Witch.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

whoa, she's a really good actress

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Samuel L. Jackson dropped that Elizabeth Olsen (the younger sister to Mary-Kate and Ashley and with more talent than both combined) has been cast as Scarlet Witch.
SCARLET WITCH?! YEEEEEEESSSSSS!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Baron Von Strucker is going to be in the next one and he has been cast.

http://io9.com/avengers-age-of-ultron-finds-and-casts-its-second-v-1502076286

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Rumor has it John Hamm is in talks to play Dr. Strange in the next phase of Marvel movies.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rumor has it John Hamm is in talks to play Dr. Strange in the next phase of Marvel movies.
I've heard similar rumors about Johnny Depp for some reason.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've heard similar rumors about Johnny Depp for some reason.
That was brief and turned out to be unsubstantiated.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That was brief and turned out to be unsubstantiated.
Would've been interesting though. Imagine Depp's trademark cocky grin on Dr. Strange.

BananaHands

BananaHands

HAIL HYDRA

Necronic

Necronic

That's a bit of a strange choice. Strange always struck me as someone who should be played by a Shakespearian actor.

I just can't see Hamm saying "By the hoary hosts of Haggoth!"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Someone elsewhere on the net suggested Liam Neeson for Dr. Strange. Which I think would be awesome if he wasn't getting up there in age now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's a bit of a strange choice. Strange always struck me as someone who should be played by a Shakespearian actor.

I can definitely see him playing "pre-accident" Strange. Hell he practically WAS Don Draper before he became humbled.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Strange choice.

You son of a bitch.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like J.A.R.V.I.S. is getting an upgrade.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114568

evilmike

evilmike

Although it sounds as if the movie is getting a bit crowded, it seems like a natural fit in the movie given the characters ties to Ultron and to the Scarlett Witch.

And now, Latino Review is reporting that another Marvel character will be in Avengers 2 -- Ms. Marvel. If this is true, and it's hard not to take it with a grain of salt considering they can't even get her name right in the article, I suspect the character will appear as Carol Danvers which provides a lead in to a Phase 3 project in 2017.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I feel like they're introducing characters just to kill them off. The Chitauri blew up New York? Yawn, they were up against civilians and beat cops with pistols. But if you see Ultron effortlessly murder a powerful superhero, now you know the shit's hit the fan.

evilmike

evilmike

I can't imagine Captain Marvel would be introduced just to be killed off.

It does make sense to put her in Avengers 2 if, for no other reason, because the studio can claim bragging rights by getting her on the big screen before Wonder Woman.

Covar

Covar

I can't imagine Captain Marvel would be introduced just to be killed off.

It does make sense to put her in Avengers 2 if, for no other reason, because the studio can claim bragging rights by getting her on the big screen before Wonder Woman.
That's not hard. Making a Captain Marvel movie would be far easier than any Wonder Woman movie. Simple reason? You can get 5 Captain Marvel fans in a room and get them to agree what kind of movie they would like. You ask 5 WW fans what kind of movie they would like and you'll get 5 different answers, ranging from WWII movie to Angry Lesbian who hates all men.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'd really dig it if Carol Danvers is in Avengers 2, you know... just some ace pilot that gets a quick scene.

Aren't the Kree in GotG or am I making that up?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'd really dig it if Carol Danvers is in Avengers 2, you know... just some ace pilot that gets a quick scene.

Aren't the Kree in GotG or am I making that up?
I don't know to what extent we'll get the Kree, but I know the film's main villain will be Ronan the Accuser. Here, he's serving as an agent of Thanos.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Here, he's serving as an agent of Thanos.
Hm.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Indeed. We'll have to see what happens. But aside from the question of the Kree, we'll also have the Nova Corps in the film.

BananaHands

BananaHands

There's no definite source, but there are rumors that Jarvis (Paul Bettany), in an attempt to hack Ultron, needs to make physical contact.

Vision, baby.
Aw hey my rumor bin was actually correct! 8)

That makes be bummed for what they told me about Cap 2.

evilmike

evilmike

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Marvel has released a few pieces of concept art, among them their concepts for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Too bad their dad can't be in the movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'd prefer a silver-haired Quicksilver, but it's still not bad look.

Also, I would've loved to see Wanda in her European gypsy look ala Busiek & Perez' Avengers run, but again, I'm okay with this look.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Does that Scarlet Witch pic remind anyone else of Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What no Hulk Buster?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

What no Hulk Buster?
Actually...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It looks like Hulk Buster is in, concept art shown in the Marvel Special tonight. They even showed a bit of Ant-Man at the end of the show without mentioning the character.[DOUBLEPOST=1395195984,1395195941][/DOUBLEPOST]ninja'ed

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm pretty sure the Hulk Buster was in Iron Man 3 as one of the suits that Tony remotes in during the finale.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They also showed a giant sized Hulk-Buster hand with repulsor as one of the props.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It makes sense to me that they would have Hulk and Tony fight, after how much they were presented as bros in the last one. Also, it seems Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to start out as antagonists.

I'd prefer a silver-haired Quicksilver, but it's still not bad look.
I bet the change was a big design choice. Not only does it mean not having to deal with wigs or dying, but it officially severs the biggest aesthetic cross over with his comic father, which they have to do considering it's right now impossible for both characters to exist in the same movie universe. Though it does make his name a little silly.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

MOTHER

FUCKING

HULKBUSTER

God I am super hyped now.

Also the Ant Man footage looked awesome! I loved the effect used for his size changing and how he used it in that fight.

Frank

Frank

It makes sense to me that they would have Hulk and Tony fight, after how much they were presented as bros in the last one. Also, it seems Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to start out as antagonists.

I bet the change was a big design choice. Not only does it mean not having to deal with wigs or dying, but it officially severs the biggest aesthetic cross over with his comic father, which they have to do considering it's right now impossible for both characters to exist in the same movie universe. Though it does make his name a little silly.
He still looks...I dunno, INFINITELY better than his X-Men movie counterself.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They also showed a giant sized Hulk-Buster hand with repulsor as one of the props.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Unf. Hulkbuster.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Someone elsewhere wondered if the Hulkbuster could be driven by Ultron.

I am intrigued.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They could also briefly blame Tony for Ultron. Banner, in particular, feels betrayed because of how much he and Tony got along.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

My friends in Korea are saying that filming is about to start in our old neighborhood. Looks like Korea will be in Avengers 2. :)

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm a teensy bit disappointed with Scarlet Witch's concept art. It's not bad, but I was hoping they would make her a little bit more super-hero-y. Obviously, they can't do a direct translation because it would look a bit silly, but tweak it a bit so it looks somewhere in the middle of "live-action believability" and "signature Wanda". Kinda like they did for ...basically everyone but Iron Man. Or maybe just work a little more red into the costume besides the jacket.

While I'm sure this was planned, I watched the special last night and it amuses me how much of Marvel Phase 2, as far as designs and characters, were included in LEGO Marvel Superheroes. I thought some of the character options and designs were odd at first, but it all makes sense now. And the irony that out of all the playable X-Men, Rogue was cut out of LMS, too. :(

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think part of the problem, though, is most of the uniforms used in Avengers were pulled mainly from the Ultimate universe. Cap's costumes in Winter Soldier are also inspired by costumes he's used pretty recently in the 616. Scarlet Witch has never really had a costume that wasn't out there in X-Men spandex-land, save maybe for this one:

Spoiler'd for image size. Without the big cowl it might be useable, but then it's pretty much just street clothes.

tegid

tegid

Well, they had these costumes when they first joined the Ultimates. Not very memorable.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ah, forgot about those. Guess that proves your point, though, hah.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Considering they start out as antagonists, ones that likely will be like super powered street thugs, I think the outfits are fine. They are trying to make this one realistic, and I don't imagine Quicksilver trying to rob a bank in super bright silver spandex, or Wanda walking around in a cape. All that may come later when they are officially "super heroes".

Celt Z

Celt Z

I forgot to mention in my original post, the thing I'm happiest about in the concept art is that, hero or villain, at least they put her in an outfit that looks like he can run and move without worry of flashing someone. An actual shirt, a jacket, what appears to be legging under the skirt... good choices.

I was trying to find a bigger shot of the concept art, and I came across this. I think this would be an awesome direction to take Wanda's uniform (once she goes hero).
Although, maybe a change here or there in the details so she doesn't look like a red Mal Reynolds.

Frank

Frank

I seriously hope Quicksilver gets one of these moments in the movie:

bhamv3

bhamv3

Who's faster, Quicksilver or the Flash?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Marvel published book or DC published book? :devil:

Other than that statement, I ain't touchin' that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Flash. He can tap into the Speed Force.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I'd say the Flash. He's completely defined by his speed, but Quicksilver is more defined by being Magento's son.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Quicksilver's not fast enough to run through time and dimensions, so yeah, Flash is way faster.[DOUBLEPOST=1395499395,1395499306][/DOUBLEPOST]I ALWAYS hated the Scarlet Witch's cowl.

mikerc

mikerc

Quicksilver tops out at about Mach 10, the Flash can run faster than the speed of light (because screw physics, this is COMICS!).

In practical terms both run at the speed of plot.[DOUBLEPOST=1395501864,1395501718][/DOUBLEPOST]
I forgot to mention in my original post, the thing I'm happiest about in the concept art is that, hero or villain, at least they put her in an outfit that looks like he can run and move without worry of flashing someone. An actual shirt, a jacket, what appears to be legging under the skirt... good choices.

I was trying to find a bigger shot of the concept art, and I came across this. I think this would be an awesome direction to take Wanda's uniform (once she goes hero).
Although, maybe a change here or there in the details so she doesn't look like a red Mal Reynolds.
I have no problem with Scarlet Witch being a rule 63'd Mal Reynolds.

Covar

Covar

Flash, not even a contest. Even when they have crossovers it's not even close.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Wanda's outfit kinda reminds me of Carmen Sandiego.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Some set pictures of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have popped up, with special guest Hawkeye.

SW in streets isn't bad, I guess. QS would be alright if it wasn't for the Backstreet Boys-ish beard/bowl cut.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Some set pictures of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have popped up, with special guest Hawkeye.

QS would be alright if it wasn't for the Backstreet Boys-ish beard/bowl cut.
1) Backstreet Boys? I thought of BASEketball

2) I actually think it looks fine.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Either way he looks like the man the 90's forgot.

Frank

Frank

Still looks better than the Days of Future Past version. Also, those outfits definitely look pre-Avengers super hero getups.

Also, not seen in those shots is the stand-in guy for Ultron. Even the stand-in looks pretty BA.

bhamv3

bhamv3

SW in streets isn't bad, I guess. QS would be alright if it wasn't for the Backstreet Boys-ish beard/bowl cut.
BEWBS!!!

In other news, I think they look fine. I'm sure with all the post-processing and special effects that'll go in, everything will be all right.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why is Michael Bay's Megatron so sad?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm going to pretend that's James Spader walking around in there, because that would be hilarious.

Frank

Frank

From the set of Avengers 2. Costume looks much better than Avengers thus far.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Looks like almost the same outfit from Winter Soldier, only going back to a few of his old color schemes and adding back more stripes.

evilmike

evilmike

Robert Downy Jr has posted a few pictures to his Twitter account:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That table shot is adorable.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I'll just put this here....

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'll just put this here....

That's a solid look for Ultron.

Also, I came across what exactly Entertainment Weekly has to report about the film. Apparently, Tony designs Ultron as a tool to help the Avengers and deal with incidents to help lessen the load for the team. However, things go wrong when Ultron decides that, in order to make the world safe, it's going to have to take control of it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant!

[DOUBLEPOST=1405530089,1405530040][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a solid look for Ultron.

Also, I came across what exactly Entertainment Weekly has to report about the film. Apparently, Tony designs Ultron as a tool to help the Avengers and deal with incidents to help lessen the load for the team. However, things go wrong when Ultron decides that, in order to make the world safe, it's going to have to take control of it.
*nods* So it's basically Ultron's origin minus Pym. Shame, but having Tony do it makes sense, too.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Considering all the focus on his suits being able to auto-pilot in IM3 it makes sense, but it does suck we won't get the Pym angle as that's something pretty big for the character.

Espy

Espy

Looking good.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Is it weird for me to hope that Ultron turns out to be bigger than how he appears in that picture? Because I think that'd make him more imposing.

Otherwise, good look.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Is it weird for me to hope that Ultron turns out to be bigger than how he appears in that picture? Because I think that'd make him more imposing.

Otherwise, good look.
Size has never Ultron's strength, though.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yeah. Besides that, there's the army of Ultron drones that he's got goin' for him, so that's nice.

bhamv3

bhamv3

True true. I'll admit I'm not too familiar with Ultron, but if he's merely human-sized, I can imagine Hulk going all "puny robot" on him.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

True true. I'll admit I'm not too familiar with Ultron, but if he's merely human-sized, I can imagine Hulk going all "puny robot" on him.
He is human-sized, but his body is generally made from adamantium (or at least the closest thing to it). So, Hulk might say "puny robot", but it's going to take a big beating to get a dent on Ultron.

Celt Z

Celt Z

That's what she said! :awesome:

(To break up the usual "prom night" schtick.)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's what Nick said.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

To be fair, I don't think a prom night joke would fit there, anyway. :)

(Also, of course I don't notice until after it's been quoted that the sentence should have read "Strength has never been Ultron's strength.)[DOUBLEPOST=1405562778,1405562700][/DOUBLEPOST]
He is human-sized, but his body is generally made from adamantium (or at least the closest thing to it). So, Hulk might say "puny robot", but it's going to take a big beating to get a dent on Ultron.
While I have a feeling they can't legally use adamantium, they COULD have him re-make himself in Vibranium. Not only has it already been established via Cap's shield, but it could set up Black Panther for a future movie.

Gryfter

Gryfter

To be fair, I don't think a prom night joke would fit there, anyway. :)

(Also, of course I don't notice until after it's been quoted that the sentence should have read "Strength has never been Ultron's strength.)[DOUBLEPOST=1405562778,1405562700][/DOUBLEPOST]

While I have a feeling they can't legally use adamantium, they COULD have him re-make himself in Vibranium. Not only has it already been established via Cap's shield, but it could set up Black Panther for a future movie.
As well as already being "discovered" by Stark in IM2.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That makes sense, considering how Wakanda will be a location in the film, if I remember correctly.

Also, read some more of what Entertainment Weekly had to say. It turns out that Ultron isn't looking to rule. To him, the key to world peace is the elimination of the problem: namely, the human race.

Celt Z

Celt Z

To him, the key to world peace is the elimination of the problem: namely, the human race.
Didn't we just do that with the Sentinels in Days of Future Past? I don't mind if that's the case, because XM-DoFP was full of plot-holes (though still enjoyable) and I'll trust Joss Whedon to make things more coherent. Hopefully.

(Edited because colons are only used for eyeballs now.)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Didn't we just do that with the Sentinels in Days of Future Past? I don't mind if that's the case, because XM:DoFP was full of plot-holes (though still enjoyable) and I'll trust Joss Whedon to make things more coherent. Hopefully.
Well, the Sentinels aren't that geared for at least explaining their rationale in detail. Apparently, one example of dialogue from Ultron in the film is, "I know you're 'good' people. I know you mean well, but you just didn't think it through. There is only one path to peace: your extermination."

Also, Ultron is apparently going to have touches of Tony Stark's personality, sort of like how in the comics he was modeled off of Pym's brain patterns. I must say, it will be interesting to see how James Spader does as Ultron.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I just want a scene in this film where Thor gets knocked back by Ultron and drops his hammer, only for Cap to pick it up and hand it back to Thor. They don't even need to address this more than Thor looking somewhat confused before running back into the fray.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cap is most worthy...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just want a scene in this film where Thor gets knocked back by Ultron and drops his hammer, only for Cap to pick it up and hand it back to Thor. They don't even need to address this more than Thor looking somewhat confused before running back into the fray.
I would love that, except that my wife's reaction months ago when I told her Steve could pick up the hammer was overbearing giddiness, and I don't know if we can handle an internet population's worth of that.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

More news from Entertainment Weekly, this time about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Specifically, they'll show up not only as antagonists to the Avengers, but they'll be working alongside Ultron.

Also, Joss Whedon has all but confirmed J.A.R.V.I.S. becoming the Vision.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120728

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I hope they're not introducing TOO many characters all at once. Between Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, all the characters from the previous film, possible appearances from second stringers like War Machine and Falcon (as rumoured), AND a possible cameo by Black Panther, this movie is starting to feel awfully crowded.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

More news from Entertainment Weekly, this time about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Specifically, they'll show up not only as antagonists to the Avengers, but they'll be working alongside Ultron.

Also, Joss Whedon has all but confirmed J.A.R.V.I.S. becoming the Vision.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120728
Considering Bettany was cast awhile ago as Vision, and has been voicing Jarvis, I think people knew that was coming.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I hope they're not introducing TOO many characters all at once. Between Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, all the characters from the previous film, possible appearances from second stringers like War Machine and Falcon (as rumoured), AND a possible cameo by Black Panther, this movie is starting to feel awfully crowded.
There's an image of Don Cheadle talking to the rest of the Avengers out there. He's definitely in the movie, but who knows if it's as War Machine.

Shawn

Shawn

So maybe this had been covered but i take it the Quicksilver in the new X men movie is not the same as the one in the new film?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So maybe this had been covered but i take it the Quicksilver in the new X men movie is not the same as the one in the new film?
Since Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (who made a brief cameo as Quicksilver's little sister in DoFP) are synonymous with BOTH X-Men and Avengers, they were apparently up for grabs for both studios. Some would argue they have stronger ties with Avengers than with X-Men, since historically, they spent more time with the Avengers for decades than with the X-Men.

Their relationship with Magneto was rarely brought up after they joined the team. They really broke away from his shadow for a long time. It'd be mentioned once in awhile or maybe when the Avengers crossed over or teamed up with the X-Men, but aside from that, they were their own characters. It wasn't until about ten years ago, when Marvel did Disassembled and House of M that they were tied in more closely with Magneto again.

But yeah, back to the original question? Basically, since they have strong ties in both franchises, they were kind of open for grabs. I thought it was a dibs thing, like whichever studio could debut them first had exclusive rights, but apparently not.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Since Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (who made a brief cameo as Quicksilver's little sister in DoFP) are synonymous with BOTH X-Men and Avengers, they were apparently up for grabs for both studios. Some would argue they have stronger ties with Avengers than with X-Men, since historically, they spent more time with the Avengers for decades than with the X-Men.

Their relationship with Magneto was rarely brought up after they joined the team. They really broke away from his shadow for a long time. It'd be mentioned once in awhile or maybe when the Avengers crossed over or teamed up with the X-Men, but aside from that, they were their own characters. It wasn't until about ten years ago, when Marvel did Disassembled and House of M that they were tied in more closely with Magneto again.

But yeah, back to the original question? Basically, since they have strong ties in both franchises, they were kind of open for grabs. I thought it was a dibs thing, like whichever studio could debut them first had exclusive rights, but apparently not.
Actually, what had happened was that an arrangement was settled between Marvel and Fox on their film rights. Namely, Fox can use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but can't mention anything related to the Avengers, while Marvel Studios can use them but can't mention their relationship to the X-men or the fact that they're mutants.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Actually, what had happened was that an arrangement was settled between Marvel and Fox on their film rights. Namely, Fox can use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but can't mention anything related to the Avengers, while Marvel Studios can use them but can't mention their relationship to the X-men or the fact that they're mutants.
That's a pretty easy thing to do, then, since as I said, they're easily synonymous with both sides for different reasons. They can be mutants without ever being Avengers and they can be Avengers that have super powers without being mutants. Heck, I hear talk that since they can't use mutants, they're going to introduce The Inhumans into the Marvel film universe. Which, as luck would have it, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have ties to.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That's a pretty easy thing to do, then, since as I said, they're easily synonymous with both sides for different reasons. They can be mutants without ever being Avengers and they can be Avengers that have super powers without being mutants. Heck, I hear talk that since they can't use mutants, they're going to introduce The Inhumans into the Marvel film universe. Which, as luck would have it, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have ties to.
That is precisely what I think will happen. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. dropped plenty of hints related to the Inhumans near the end of the first season, and I mentioned earlier in the "Comic News" thread how in the comics there was the reveal of an Inhuman gene present in mankind. My bet is that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are folks whose Inhuman genes have become active, thus giving them their powers.

evilmike

evilmike

Marvel produced a series of concept posters for Age of Ultron which are available at SDCC. Here are the ones that have been released so far:
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_6.jpg
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_7.jpg
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_8.jpg
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_9.jpg
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_10.jpg
hr_Avengers _Age_of_Ultron_11.jpg

(via ComingSoon.net)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Has anyone tired assembling* them yet? I know it's missing Hulk, Thor, possible Fury, etc. but it looks like some of those link up already.

(*Heh heh.. "assemble")

Gryfter

Gryfter

Oooooo is that Vision floating in the air in the last one? Sweet!

Also the Hulk and Thor ones are missing but you can see where they connect (Hulk in the Black Widow one and Thor in the Quicksilver one).

Covar

Covar

VISION!!!!!!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Digging the look of Stark's armor, too, hopefully that's the mainstay suit for the movie.

Also, to echo, VISION!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Has anyone tired assembling* them yet? I know it's missing Hulk, Thor, possible Fury, etc. but it looks like some of those link up already.

(*Heh heh.. "assemble")
Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch have edges that connect, so yeah... it's all one big poster. Thing is, we're missing Hulk, Thor, and War Machine so you can't connect the rest of them.

tegid

tegid

They are all linked at the end of this gallery!
http://www.newsarama.com/21665-more-new-avengers-age-of-ultron-concept-art-posters.html

The poster seems to be complete minus the Hulk and Thor pieces

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are all linked at the end of this gallery!
http://www.newsarama.com/21665-more-new-avengers-age-of-ultron-concept-art-posters.html

The poster seems to be complete minus the Hulk and Thor pieces
Can't get it to open, even after disabling adblock and noscript.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wanda staring right at the "camera" is a bit odd, but it's a pretty cool piece when it's all put together.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Can't get it to open, even after disabling adblock and noscript.
No problems opening it, could it be your java or flash needs updating?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No problems opening it, could it be your java or flash needs updating?
It might be Java. I keep getting errors when I try to update it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here are the Avengers 2 posters (that we know of thus far) assembled.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See, I guess I don't understand why they're bothering not to reveal the whole thing now. Hulk and Thor were obviously going to be in the new one. If anything, the shot of Vision is the bigger spoiler (even if it's been all over various news spots).

That said, I hope they plan on selling that poster, because I want to buy it.

On a related note, I'm curious to see how they're going to tackle and juggle the growing roster. It's a lot easier to do in comics, obviously. Heck, you can have a roster as big as 20+. I know adding only three members to the current six isn't a big leap, but it's still a 30% increase in people on-screen.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

On a related note, I'm curious to see how they're going to tackle and juggle the growing roster. It's a lot easier to do in comics, obviously. Heck, you can have a roster as big as 20+. I know adding only three members to the current six isn't a big leap, but it's still a 30% increase in people on-screen.
Hulk an Thor will probably get the shaft again and NO ONE cares about Hawkeye. Vision is probably a last act trump card, so it's more like 4 characters with things that need to be addressed.

- What Cap's been doing since Cap 2. Widow too.
- What Tony's been doing since Ironman 3 (probably fucking up by building Ultron)
- Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's story.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wanda staring right at the "camera" is a bit odd, but it's a pretty cool piece when it's all put together.
She's not staring at the camera, she's staring down at the ultronbot head she's asploding.

Also, my bet is they're hiding Thor because surprise, he's gonna be a woman now.

And Hulk is played by yet another actor.

*pretty sure neither of these are true, but I'm waging my bets now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Female Thor would be SUPER ballsy. I almost wish it would happen, if only so they can spend all of the next Thor movie explaining it.

Shawn

Shawn

Female Thor would be SUPER ballsy. I almost wish it would happen, if only so they can spend all of the next Thor movie explaining it.
"I felt like a Goddess in a God's body."

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Last two posters have been posted by... well everyone that's been posting them.

http://www.newsarama.com/21711-inte...ltron-concept-art-poster-the-whole-thing.html

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's the whole poster set together:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I can't wait to see how they deal with Pietro and Wanda's powers. I was really surprised at how ridiculously cool the slo-mo scene was in DoFP, and I hope they can find a way to make this Quicksilver's powers seem as fun to watch.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh yeah. I want that for a poster.

Espy

Espy

Poor Hawkeye. He looks like he's about to cry.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Josh Brolin decided to show up to the Marvel Studios panel in style.

Frank

Frank

I bet Diane Lane's glad she divorced him before he got that.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I bet Diane Lane's glad she divorced him before he got that.
I was going to Brofist this comment, then I realized how innpropreate/ironic that would be...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Buzz Aldrin has the Infinity Gauntlet. Your argument is invalid.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want to read the rest of that T-Shirt

found it.

Get your ass to MARS

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So...looks like shit's gonna go down when Ultron throws down.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm... that probably confirms Ultron's going to be made of vibranium.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hmm... that probably confirms Ultron's going to be made of vibranium.
It will probably be one of the later versions of him in the film. I read a report talking about the Age of Ultron footage they showed and one of Ultron's earlier forms is made from an older Iron Man suit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Buzz Aldrin has the Infinity Gauntlet. Your argument is invalid.

Is that Tamara Krinsky on the right? Oh, yes, yes it is.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And now we have a little look at the first version of Ultron, in a wrecked and disheveled form.

Espy

Espy

So...looks like shit's gonna go down when Ultron throws down.

I hope that isn't really a spoiler for what would obviously be a huge moment in the film.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I hope that isn't really a spoiler for what would obviously be a huge moment in the film.
Who knows? All I know is that it's a prop that Marvel decided to show off at San Diego Comic-Con. Odds are that it does end up being a big moment to reveal how strong Ultron has gotten with his upgrades.

fade

fade

I can't wait to see how they deal with Pietro and Wanda's powers. I was really surprised at how ridiculously cool the slo-mo scene was in DoFP, and I hope they can find a way to make this Quicksilver's powers seem as fun to watch.
No kidding. That scene almost broke the movie. I got up to go, because I was like, "Welp. Can't top that. Movie's over."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If it is, that'd make Captain America 3 VERRRRRY interesting.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Could be a total misdirect also, training exercise type thing. Not the real shield, but just something that was standing in for it type thing. I'm not saying I know, just pointing out that they could be purposefully putting out misleading info.

Espy

Espy

You guys.

Come on.

Cap dies in a heroic act.

Discover at the very end he's alive but lives in Europe above a gay disco under an assumed identity

Next movie: Ben Affleck is the new Captain America.

Thats how it works.

END OF STORY.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Next movie: Matt Damon is the new Captain America.
Bonus: he uses his "native" accent. Cap'an Americah!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bonus: he uses his "native" accent. Cap'an Americah!
Did someone say Native Captain America?

evilmike

evilmike

Superherohype has a picture that shows clearer concept art for the Vision.

evilmike

evilmike

Screencaps have leaked for the Hulkbuster armor and Ultron:

fade

fade

I'm seeing a Drac from Enemy Mine.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Coooooool!

Adam

Adam

Dave

Dave

Thank you! That was awesome!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Oh, I am really liking how Ultron himself is shaping up for it. James Spader is sounding like a good match. I think a moment I really like is his last line in the trailer of "There are no strings on me", having compared the Avengers to puppets all tangled in strings, unwilling to really change the world.

evilmike

evilmike

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dave

Dave

Oh, I am really liking how Ultron himself is shaping up for it. James Spader is sounding like a good match. I think a moment I really like is his last line in the trailer of "There are no strings on me", having compared the Avengers to puppets all tangled in strings, unwilling to really change the world.
You did notice the song they were singing was from Pinocchio, right?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And it's an apt comparison considering this origin of Ultron.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh yeah, I'm ready for this movie.

Null

Null

Okay, Marvel handling this "leak" is brilliant. Tweeting "Dammit Hydra!" and then just going ahead and officially launching it? That's how you handle a leak - go with it and capitalizing on the buzz. Well done, MCU marketing team.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I did catch that. Actually, I had read the reports from Comic-Con about it, and the idea of Ultron saying "I've got no strings on me" sounded sort of fun what with the Pinocchio reference and Disney owning Marvel.

Now, actually hearing James Spader's delivery of that line? That really sold me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Now, actually hearing James Spader's delivery of that line? That really sold me.
I remember watching an interview where someone asked Chris Evans what he thought of James Spader as Ultron, and while I don't remember the exact words, he said the performance was terrifying. I am starting to see what Chris Evans meant.

Also about some scenes in the trailer.
They have one shot of Ultron in what appears to be that Hydra base seen at the end of Winter Soldier while SW and QS walk up behind him. I think when he first becomes sentient he is too damaged to do anything, but Hydra collects him and rebuilds him, only for him to turn on them and obliterate the facility. He takes SW and QS to be his lackeys for whatever reason.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That's a pretty effective trailer

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also, looks like

Hulk/Banner is going to lose control somehow, maybe Ultron gets in his head or it has something to do with them all feeling Stark betrayed them (Thor grabs him at one point as well).

Kovac

Kovac

yup. That trailer works for me.

The biggest question marks for me at this point are quicksilver and scarlet witch.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Trailer was awesome, but it's probably time for me to stop visiting this thread again so there can still be some surprises in the movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Trailer was awesome, but it's probably time for me to stop visiting this thread again so there can still be some surprises in the movie.
Surprise! Ultron is in it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I like to imagine some scenes, like the rather large one implied at the end, are just a red herring, but trailers these days are rather bad about throwing out all the damn twists these days. Just can never be sure anymore.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Surprise! Ultron is in it.
I'd say that's a big leap of logic, isn't it? Next thing you know you'll be telling us the Avengers are in it too.

Psht, yeah right, Ultron and the Avengers?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So what do people think of Ultron's redesign? Most of the promotional material like the very first teaser and that huge poster with the hundreds of Ultrons used his more classic design, but you can tell from the last scene they are trying to go for a a more human faced feel, very reminiscent of the Transformers from the Bay movies. I hope at the least we get a scene with the classic design, even if just used for his robot army.

Tress

Tress

Just don't become a muddy pile of lines like Bay's Transformer designs, and we'll be just fine.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So what do people think of Ultron's redesign? Most of the promotional material like the very first teaser and that huge poster with the hundreds of Ultrons used his more classic design, but you can tell from the last scene they are trying to go for a a more human faced feel, very reminiscent of the Transformers from the Bay movies. I hope at the least we get a scene with the classic design, even if just used for his robot army.
I think, based on the trailer, it looks like they're going with a more human-like face for Ultron himself (most likely due in part to the MoCap they did with James Spader), while his robot army looks like they'll have his classic look. Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad. If they can maintain some level of creepiness from the uncanny valley of his "sort-of-human-but-not-quite" face, I'm sure it will work.

Adam

Adam

If I remember correctly, Ultron goes through multiple stages throughout the movie so we'll probably see a couple iterations of his look.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Probably not a popular opinion, but I'd rather not see much Black Widow or Hawkeye on screen. Their characters are super-boring, IMO. I'd rather have a Ms. Marvel and another Avenger. I am glad to see Scarlet Witch too.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Probably not a popular opinion, but I'd rather not see much Black Widow or Hawkeye on screen. Their characters are super-boring, IMO. I'd rather have a Ms. Marvel and another Avenger. I am glad to see Scarlet Witch too.
BW got better thanks to a big part in Cap 2, but overall I agree. They haven't gotten a whole lot of characterization, Hawkeye especially, and if they don't get more in this movie they're going to be boring background characters like they were in Avengers 1, and just not stand out at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1414082390,1414082197][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like it. I've heard the TF comparison in other places, but really I don't think it's that bad as the overall composition of Ultron in the trailer is smooth/sleek, whereas Bay's 'bots are kind of a big mess of moving parts and random pieces of metal.

Also, keep in mind this trailer's movie is nearly what, 6-7 months away? Odds are a lot of the CG is going to look better come release day.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

By the way, did anyone notice Andy Serkis in the trailer? Based on his look, some are speculating that he might turn up as Ulysses Klaw.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

If I remember correctly, Ultron goes through multiple stages throughout the movie so we'll probably see a couple iterations of his look.
I'm hoping we can see this version in one scene.

Covar

Covar

I hope they defeat Ultron several times throughout the movie.

Null

Null

I hope they defeat Ultron several times throughout the movie.
See, I don't know if that would work in a movie. If Ultron keeps being beaten down, he comes off as more of a punching bag than a serious threat. "Well, it's been 16 minutes since the last big fight scene, time to get beaten up by the Avengers again." It works in a TV series, where you can have defeats and victories over the course of a season, but not repeatedly in a 3-hour movie. I mean, if you've seen Ultron lose 6 times already by the third act, he no longer reads as a credible threat.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

See, I don't know if that would work in a movie. If Ultron keeps being beaten down, he comes off as more of a punching bag than a serious threat. "Well, it's been 16 minutes since the last big fight scene, time to get beaten up by the Avengers again."
The whole point is that no matter what they throw at him, he can't be fully defeated. Each time he comes back even stronger then the last, which makes him feel more threatening.

Covar

Covar

The whole point is that no matter what they throw at him, he can't be fully defeated. Each time he comes back even stronger then the last, which makes him feel more threatening.
Not to mention he can't be defeated the same way twice. I don't need it 6 times or anything, but I think 3 would drive the point home, breakup the three act structure a bit, and hopefully show the Avengers being tactical and not just falling into the solution.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Not to mention he can't be defeated the same way twice. I don't need it 6 times or anything, but I think 3 would drive the point home, breakup the three act structure a bit, and hopefully show the Avengers being tactical and not just falling into the solution.
I expect we'll probably see no more than three variations of Ultron. We've got his early, cobbled-together appearance, and we've got a Vibranium build that's most likely what we see near the end of the trailer (I say that because I remember reading somewhere that there is a sequence of the film set in Wakanda).

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

in a 3-hour movie.
ugh, I just realized that you're probably right

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, the movie can illustrate how big a threat he is if he's demonstrably stronger every time he comes back.

Round 1: Captain America solos Ultron, smashing Ultron's head off with his mighty shield.
Round 2: Ultron comes back, Cap tries to hit it with his shield, shield bounces off (or breaks). Iron Man is needed to defeat Ultron.
Round 3: Ultron comes back again, with an army. Iron Man tries to defeat Ultron, fails completely, and gets knocked around. Thor/Hulk come in and smash Ultron into the ground. Rest of the Avengers deal with the robot army. All's seemingly well now, until Ultron's hand bursts out of the rubble. "You didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?"

Celt Z

Celt Z

Either that, or Wanda is screwing with everyone's perception of reality, making her the Big Bad all along.

Hey, it's a Joss Whedon movie. You never know.

evilmike

evilmike

IGN is reporting that new Avengers 2 footage will be aired during Agents of Shield in place of the leaked trailer.

@Adam, I believe that's your cue.

Adam

Adam

Final form for ultron (Spoiler)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

IGN is reporting that new Avengers 2 footage will be aired during Agents of Shield in place of the leaked trailer.

@Adam, I believe that's your cue.
I figured that what they would so is just show the short scene they showed at Comic Con, which sounded pretty cool.

General Specific

General Specific

"You didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?"
Off topic, I know, but this is the voice I always hear when I read that line:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Did Ultron quote Pinocchio at one point? ...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Did Ultron quote Pinocchio at one point? ...
Yup.

In fact, as it has been pointing, the song playing throughout the trailer is a slowed-down version of "I've Got No Strings", a particularly apt song considering Ultron's origins.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yup.

In fact, as it has been pointing, the song playing throughout the trailer is a slowed-down version of "I've Got No Strings", a particularly apt song considering Ultron's origins.
I'm really not familiar with those comics at all. Might be fun to do some research before I see any more Avengers movies.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm really not familiar with those comics at all. Might be fun to do some research before I see any more Avengers movies.
Well, the basic idea of Ultron is that he is an artificial intelligence who gains sentience, like a puppet freeing itself from its strings. In Ultron's case, however, he also gains a major craving for destroying humanity. In the comics, Hank Pym (better known as Ant-Man) was the inventor of Ultron. For the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Tony Stark will be inventing Ultron and an entire Iron Legion as a way of helping the Avengers with their workload. Suffice to say, things do not turn out well.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well, the basic idea of Ultron is that he is an artificial intelligence who gains sentience, like a puppet freeing itself from its strings. In Ultron's case, however, he also gains a major craving for destroying humanity. In the comics, Hank Pym (better known as Ant-Man) was the inventor of Ultron. For the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Tony Stark will be inventing Ultron and an entire Iron Legion as a way of helping the Avengers with their workload. Suffice to say, things do not turn out well.
In Tony's defense, I think every geek has, at some point, said to himself or herself, "I'll bet I could find some way to automate this process, it'll save me so much work," and then only to find that it turns out to be more work than before.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

In Tony's defense, I think every geek has, at some point, said to himself or herself, "I'll bet I could find some way to automate this process, it'll save me so much work," and then only to find that it turns out to be more work than before.
I am really keen on how they handle the JARVIS to Vision change. Obviously Tony made a new AI to handle the robot suits, the AI that ultimately becomes Ultron, but then I wonder how this goes back to JARVIS. Like, why didn't he use JARVIS in the first place? Why use him now to form Vision? So many questions.

Though I am going to puke if Tony says a line like "No, my friend, you are no longer Jarvis, you are... MY VISION."

Terrik

Terrik

I am really keen on how they handle the JARVIS to Vision change. Obviously Tony made a new AI to handle the robot suits, the AI that ultimately becomes Ultron, but then I wonder how this goes back to JARVIS. Like, why didn't he use JARVIS in the first place? Why use him now to form Vision? So many questions.

Though I am going to puke if Tony says a line like "No, my friend, you are no longer Jarvis, you are... MY VISION."

That line will most certainly be in there now. Thanks.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That line will most certainly be in there now. Thanks.
I can't help it, I went to film school, some of this stuff is like paint by numbers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm going to call it now and say that Vision is born from Ultron attempting to corrupt/convert Jarvis.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm going to call it now and say that Vision is born from Ultron attempting to corrupt/convert Jarvis.
Actually I like that idea way better. I hope they go that route. Like, Ultron links with Jarvis and give him true sentience, and in the end he chooses to continue fighting for Tony. I know Ultron technically created Vision in the comics, but I figured the whole Jarvis link was going to force a change in that dynamic.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If I remember correctly, the original vision was created by Ultron out of the remnants of the original Human Torch, because the first Human Torch was actually a robot... because comics were weird back then.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If I remember correctly, the original vision was created by Ultron out of the remnants of the original Human Torch, because the first Human Torch was actually a robot... because comics were weird back then.
At some point in the comics everyone has been a robot.

evilmike

evilmike

That brings up an interesting point. Will they reference that since Howard Stark actually had access to the body of the original human torch in the movie universe?
human torch.jpg

fade

fade

I wish superhero based movies and TV shows would stop trying to avoid using the characters' handles from the comics anyway. You want to give the name a natural feeling origin in the movie? Sure. Avoiding it outright by using an even cheesier ersatz name? No, that sucks. I feel like someone--a director, writer, or producer--felt the original code name was corny, so they shoehorn in half-names like "Arrow", or the S means Hope on my planet, or The Streak--all of which sound equally corny, and worse feel really out of place to the existing fanbase, who will probably make up most of your audience initially.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wish superhero based movies and TV shows would stop trying to avoid using the characters' handles from the comics anyway. You want to give the name a natural feeling origin in the movie? Sure. Avoiding it outright by using an even cheesier ersatz name? No, that sucks. I feel like someone--a director, writer, or producer--felt the original code name was corny, so they shoehorn in half-names like "Arrow", or the S means Hope on my planet, or The Streak--all of which sound equally corny, and worse feel really out of place to the existing fanbase, who will probably make up most of your audience initially.
Which sounds like it's a BIG problem for DC & WB, but not Marvel. Marvel has at least been openly accepting some of the cornier aspects of comics. Which I'm okay with. Superheroes are inherently corny and silly. You can't have dudes flying around in bright, primary coloured spandex and expect everyone to take it completely seriously. You either accept it and run with it or...well, whatever the hell DC is doing.

Covar

Covar

The Streak will stop once Barry either stops to make sure someone he just rescued is okay, or Iris writes the "My evening with Superman the Flash" article.

fade

fade

Yeah, I mean, I really like Arrow. It's been a good show so far. But I can't help but wince every time they say "The Hood" or "The Arrow" in the show. And then every actor looks uncomfortable saying even those names. I mean, come on. It's a superhero show.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Which sounds like it's a BIG problem for DC & WB, but not Marvel. Marvel has at least been openly accepting some of the cornier aspects of comics. Which I'm okay with. Superheroes are inherently corny and silly. You can't have dudes flying around in bright, primary coloured spandex and expect everyone to take it completely seriously. You either accept it and run with it or...well, whatever the hell DC is doing.
I honestly loved what they did with Star-Lord. One of the most generic and cheesy names in comics and by the end you just understand why he uses it, understand so much.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Guys, I think Marvel used the wrong song for the Avengers 2 trailer...

http://www.dorkly.com/post/69930/th...om&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=amplification

Fun Size

Fun Size

One of my favorite moments on Agents of Shield was the early lampshading of a potential villain.

"Ah crap...they gave him a name."

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, I mean, I really like Arrow. It's been a good show so far. But I can't help but wince every time they say "The Hood" or "The Arrow" in the show. And then every actor looks uncomfortable saying even those names. I mean, come on. It's a superhero show.
In the first season, Mr. Merlin asks "how about Green Arrow?" Only for Oliver to dismiss it as "lame."

When we see Vision for the first time, I hope there's enough theatrical flair. That's what I've come to associate with that character.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wonder if Wanda will flirt with him and make things really weird. That would be hilarious.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm trying to think of a time when flirting with a robot ISN'T weird.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Japan.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Here, perhaps?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Celt Z

Celt Z

I would say you guys are proving me right. :)

Terrik

Terrik

evilmike

evilmike

Tonight's extended trailer from Agents of SHIELD

(Updated with the official version)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Tonight's extended trailer from Agents of SHIELD
Cap is totally picking up that hammer later in the movie.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The look Thor gives when Cap moves the hammer a little was fucking priceless.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, I was thinking...

We don't see Banner try to lift the hammer in that scene, and in Avengers 1 we saw the Hulk try to lift it, and fail, although he was interrupted by Thor after just a few seconds.

However, the Hulk's strength increases with his anger. Suppose the Hulk was given all the time in the universe to get increasingly mad at the hammer. Would he, eventually, get mad enough to overcome Mjolnir's enchantment and pick it up through sheer force?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, I was thinking...

We don't see Banner try to lift the hammer in that scene, and in Avengers 1 we saw the Hulk try to lift it, and fail, although he was interrupted by Thor after just a few seconds.

However, the Hulk's strength increases with his anger. Suppose the Hulk was given all the time in the universe to get increasingly mad at the hammer. Would he, eventually, get mad enough to overcome Mjolnir's enchantment and pick it up through sheer force?
No. The hammer is magic (well, kinda, might as well be magic), and the magic simply says only the worthy can wield it. It's not infinitely heavy, or have some resisting force that can be overcome through sheer power. I'm pretty sure that Hulk would tear through the floor of whatever he's standing on before he ever got it to budge.

bhamv3

bhamv3

No. The hammer is magic (well, kinda, might as well be magic), and the magic simply says only the worthy can wield it. It's not infinitely heavy, or have some resisting force that can be overcome through sheer power. I'm pretty sure that Hulk would tear through the floor of whatever he's standing on before he ever got it to budge.
What if, hypothetically, he was standing on an indestructible floor? Say a planet made of adamantium or something.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

What if, hypothetically, he was standing on an indestructible floor? Say a planet made of adamantium or something.
Still missing the point. It's not that the hammer is heavy, it's that Odin magicked it so nobody unworthy can lift it. If Hulk's not worthy, Hulk can't lift it.

Though, truth be told, that's always been kinda shaky as there is at least one instance of Hulk using the hammer to beat the shit out of Thor. Fairly sure Hulk has, in fact, lifted it a few times (and I think even broke it at one point).

Also, in space, apparently, anyone can move the hammer. I've seen pages of Red Hulk and Iron Man moving it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Still missing the point. It's not that the hammer is heavy, it's that Odin magicked it so nobody unworthy can lift it. If Hulk's not worthy, Hulk can't lift it.

Though, truth be told, that's always been kinda shaky as there is at least one instance of Hulk using the hammer to beat the shit out of Thor. Fairly sure Hulk has, in fact, lifted it a few times (and I think even broke it at one point).

Also, in space, apparently, anyone can move the hammer. I've seen pages of Red Hulk and Iron Man moving it.
Hmm, all right then.

Don't suppose the Hulk could get angry enough to start warping reality, could he?

Adam

Adam

Hmm, all right then.

Don't suppose the Hulk could get angry enough to start warping reality, could he?
Punching holes in reality when angry? What kind of nonsense do you think comic book writers would come up to justify broad sweeping changes to a universe?!?

evilmike

evilmike

Another clip (watch it while it lasts...)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, it's the in MCU Phase 3 thread, but it belongs here, too. The short preview seen on Agents of SHIELD, along with the trailer.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Another clip (watch it while it lasts...)
Warning for those wearing headphones: VERY LOUD VIDEO.

Adam

Adam

Even though I've been a Captain American fan forever, I really have to say they nail his characterization in the MCU SOOOOO well. He's a legitimate badass.

Mathias

Mathias

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Even though I've been a Captain American fan forever, I really have to say they nail his characterization in the MCU SOOOOO well. He's a legitimate badass.
Cap is easily my favorite of the MCU characters. Chris Evans really does play him perfectly. There's no question as to why he's the leader of the Avengers.*

*There is a question of why Hawkeye is still there. I mean, if you call upon the Avengers for help, and Hawkeye shows up, you're going to tell him to go back and get a real Avenger.

Dave

Dave

Null

Null

I love how Cap is like "Gettin' real tired of your shit, Stark."

His line, "Every time somebody tries to stop a war before they start, innocent people die. Every time." That's not rhetoric - that was literally the goal of Project Insight, and look what became of that.

Krisken

Krisken

On the question of who has wielded Mjolnir and been found worthy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_(comics)

Ahem, treat this as a spoiler for all intents and purposes. Don't look if you don't really want to know.

GasBandit

GasBandit

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

And we have a new extended trailer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ok, Jingle Bells won me over.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, Jingle Bells won me over.
Me too. I was jaded and unimpressed until Jingle Bells, then I knew I had to share it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Tony Stark does say Christmas an awful lot, doesn't he.

evilmike

evilmike

New Trailer

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Want.

Adam

Adam

Wow.. That's basically comic panel to movie literal translation.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think I saw the moment that single soldier in the front pissed his pants.

Also VISION FUCK YEAH!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I noticed that the letterbox kept moving around. I so hope there's no shaky cam in Avengers 2.

Also, I'd love to hear Thor say "Ultron. We would have words with thee."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

New Trailer
Nnnnngggrrrrrraaaaaaaaah...

I... need to go get cleaned up.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That steady-cam fix on the letterbox was weird, but outside of that, oh dang.

Oh dang.

Also, maybe it's SW that's going to make Hulk go all nutty, there was a shot of her doing something to Widow that might have been some kind of mental suggestion thing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Also, maybe it's SW that's going to make Hulk go all nutty, there was a shot of her doing something to Widow that might have been some kind of mental suggestion thing.
That may explain that implied romance between Widow and Hulk that they hinted near the beginning of the trailer.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That may explain that implied romance between Widow and Hulk that they hinted near the beginning of the trailer.
Well, she's kind of shown as his anchor in Avengers 1, so it could just be that sort of deal again, kind of a King Kong thing.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, she's kind of shown as his anchor in Avengers 1, so it could just be that sort of deal again, kind of a King Kong thing.
Hulk always had a thing for the pretty ladies...

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Hulk always had a thing for the pretty ladies...

Hulk...smash! Wrrrar

GasBandit

GasBandit

You guys are making it SO hard not to post *that* gif again.

BananaHands

BananaHands

;_;

Celt Z

Celt Z

.....Wait a minute. Something's amiss...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah!

Shouldn't Iron Man be moving way faster than the rest of them?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah!

Shouldn't Iron Man be moving way faster than the rest of them?
He gave the others a head start. Notice how he's catching up from behind.

That's the only thing unusual thing I can see in that gif. Everything else seems to be in order. All is as it should be.

Null

Null

You know, seeing that trailer, then watching it again, and again, then watching the others, then this one again, I sat there and thought. "Well, that's kind of it, isn't it? Sony, Fox, Warner Brothers, they should just bow out gracefully from the superhero genre. Avengers 2 has already won, because there's no way they'll come even close to that."

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Wow.. That's basically comic panel to movie literal translation.
They forgot Legolas's blonde wig.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I did not like the first Avengers movie, and do not understand why people did. I'm looking forward to this, it's very much the kind of thing I'll probably enjoy. I still like the trailer with the creepy riff on Pinocchio better, though. That was just.. It was so good.

Celt Z

Celt Z

So, who wants to watch 25 hours straight of Marvel Movies? You get a medal if you survive sign up!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So, who wants to watch 25 hours straight of Marvel Movies? You get a medal if you survive sign up!
I'd love that, as long as they don't wake me up during Thor 2 and Captain America 2.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Mr. Z and I were just discussing certain films would be used for pee breaks/naps. (Looking at you, Incredible Hulk.)

BananaHands

BananaHands

I don't know if I could make it through Iron Man 2 again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You people are cray cray. Iron Man 2, Cap Amer 2, and Thor 2 were all fun movies. Thor 2 was better than Thor 1, IMO.

Incredible hulk, nnnyyaaahh not so much.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just I've seen those movies recently. So there is no reason to struggle.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Thor 2 deserves more crap than it got, but I still wouldn't call it a bad movie.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Captain America 2 is supposed to be way better than the first one. I haven't seen it yet, though, but I was going to. Should I not? I found the first one pretty bad and boring.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Captain America 2 is supposed to be way better than the first one. I haven't seen it yet, though, but I was going to. Should I not? I found the first one pretty bad and boring.
I also found the first one a little tiresome, to be honest. The second one is MUCH better.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I did not like the first Avengers movie.
Captain America 2 I found the first one pretty bad and boring.
Uh... maybe these movies aren't your cup of tea.

As to the marathon, I have seen all of them recently enough enough that a marathon like this would be ponderous. Love them all... yes even Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 (though I acknowledge they are the low end of the movies thus far).

Null

Null

The Winter Soldier is VERY different from Captain America: The First Avenger. It's a much more grown up story that revolves around the balance between freedom and security, and what the ramifications can be when the ends justify the means.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You people are cray cray. Iron Man 2, Cap Amer 2, and Thor 2 were all fun movies. Thor 2 was better than Thor 1, IMO.

Incredible hulk, nnnyyaaahh not so much.
Hulk is unquestionably the bottom of the bunch, but I think it's an okay movie on its own. Certainly way better than Ang Lee's Hulk.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I personally think cap 2 is the best* of the marvel movies. And this from someone who liked the first, but wouldn't rewatch.

*other than GotG

Null

Null

Hulk is unquestionably the bottom of the bunch, but I think it's an okay movie on its own. Certainly way better than Ang Lee's Hulk.
That was another movie where the person making the movie just didn't fucking get the nature of the story he was trying to tell. The Hulk is about Rage. Loneliness. Despair. About losing control of one's self and being a danger to everyone you're close to, whether you want to be or not. It's about the guilt of knowing the harm you've done, and will do again, and knowing that you can't stop it. And yet, when push comes to shove, Hulk more often than not uses his anger to try and save people, whether they'd thank him for it or not.

Hulk is NOT about weird daddy issues, dogs filled with green water, and ridiculous flea jumps.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well its a nice tweak. Someday soon perhaps.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Someone recently pointed out to me that in the first Avengers movie, no one ever actually says "Avengers Assemble".

The film is now retroactively ruined. :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Someone recently pointed out to me that in the first Avengers movie, no one ever actually says "Avengers Assemble".

The film is now retroactively ruined. :p
That was one of the few complaints I had about the movie.

Fortunately, hearing that the main cast became a close knit group that would go out together for dinner on a regular basis - usually with Chris Evans texting everyone "Avengers Assemble!" - salvages that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That was one of the few complaints I had about the movie.

Fortunately, hearing that the main cast became a close knit group that would go out together for dinner on a regular basis - usually with Chris Evans texting everyone "Avengers Assemble!" - salvages that.
I was completely joking. That's a dumb complaint :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was completely joking. That's a dumb complaint :p
YOU'RE a dumb complaint!

Yeah, that's right.

Frank

Frank

I didn't dislike the first Captain America, but I think the second is probably the best super hero movie.

It's at least the best Marvel movie.

evilmike

evilmike

Bowielee

Bowielee

I JUST CAME!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I JUST CAME!
Hey hey hey.. The sex thread is over there.

Null

Null

....where is that Halforums ahegao face icon again? I feel it would be applicable here.

But seriously: Every trailer for Age of Ultron has managed to top the previous. This isn't ridiculous hype, this movie is going to be amazing because it *gets* superheroes and how to tell a compelling story about them. Epic action mixed with the relationship between the members of the Avengers, and how their differences both make them stronger as a team and threaten to tear them apart.

Dear DC/WB: You lose.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think I am pretty well sold on this movie, so I'll do my best to skip ads and trailers in the hope of missing more spoilers.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I mean, come on, Captain America flip kicks A GODDAMN MOTORCYCLE INTO A GODDAMN CAR!!!!!!!

Null

Null

Watched all the trailers again. Now my brain is stuck doing this:

evilmike

evilmike

They've released the final trailer. It's similar to the previous TV spot but has additional footage:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They've released the final trailer. It's similar to the previous TV spot but has additional footage:
I cannot wait to see the world's greatest heroes. And Hawkeye.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I cannot wait to see the world's greatest heroes. And Hawkeye.
5084175.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You know that scene at the end of Avengers, when Loki is defeated, and we see the whole group standing over him? And Hawkeye has his bow drawn and an arrow cocked, pointing it at Loki. GOOD JOB HAWKEYE. That arrow that would have no effect on an asgardian is totally what's convincing him he's defeated. Good thing you're on the ball, otherwise he might try something.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You know that scene at the end of Avengers, when Loki is defeated, and we see the whole group standing over him? And Hawkeye has his bow drawn and an arrow cocked, pointing it at Loki. GOOD JOB HAWKEYE. That arrow that would have no effect on an asgardian is totally what's convincing him he's defeated. Good thing you're on the ball, otherwise he might try something.
Hey now, even Hawkeye got a good shot at him. Remember? Shot the exploding arrow that Loki caught? Totally tricked that horny bastard.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey now, even Hawkeye got a good shot at him. Remember? Shot the exploding arrow that Loki caught? Totally tricked that horny bastard.
Also, did any of his shots actually miss. Say what you will about a guy who chooses to take part in a superhero battle with a bow and arrows, but if he doesn't miss a single shot, then he's still a pretty useful part of the team.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, did any of his shots actually miss. Say what you will about a guy who chooses to take part in a superhero battle with a bow and arrows, but if he doesn't miss a single shot, then he's still a pretty useful part of the team.
He's the Aquaman of the Avengers, except at least Aquaman is a goddamn KING.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Poe
:troll: :trolol:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I know that Hawkeye doesn't seem to belong in the same league as the god of thunder or an immeasurably powerful rage monster. Strength isn't the point, however. What makes Hawkeye Avenger material is his willingness to put everything on the line. Whether the enemy of the week is Loki, Ultron, Dormammu, or a Skrull invasion, the Avengers can count on Hawkeye to hold the line.

Plus, whenever the Avengers are hit with a spell that removes superpowers then Hawkeye is completely unaffected.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Plus, whenever the Avengers are hit with a spell that removes superpowers then Hawkeye is completely unaffected.
Until the sudden yet inevitable mutant retcon.

Dave

Dave

"I'm out of arrows."
"What? How many did you have?"
"Like...11."
"But there are hundreds and thousands of aliens!"
"And I killed 11. You're welcome."

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Lucky he lives in a movie world, so he pretty much has unlimited arrows as long as the plot does not require him to be out of them. (Same for Black Widow and bullets)

Null

Null

I'm a bit biased in favor of Hawkeye, because one of the first comics I read was Solo Avengers #3, in which Hawkeye faces off against Batroc's Brigade in Paris. Batroc the Leaper, Machete, and Zaran the Weapon Master ambushed him, and he came out on top. Battered and exhausted, but victorious. Granted, they're all low-level super villains, but still, 3 on 1 odds.

To me, Hawkeye is still pretty badass because despite not being clad in hyper-advanced power armor, or being a chemically augmented super soldier, or a rage-powered monster, he's there every step of the way with them.

Celt Z

Celt Z

A few days ago, I realized I was going to be over-seas for opening night, which means I'll have a wait an extra week to see the movie. (And dodge spoilers.) :cry:

But then I found out it opens in Taiwan a week before the US! :sohappy:

(Now I just have to figure out which relative we can leave Li'l Z with for a few hours...)

Dave

Dave

I'm not going to see it until the 8th when my son gets back from Korea. I'm going to WANT to see it beforehand, but I want to go see it with him.

Bubble181

Bubble181

A few days ago, I realized I was going to be over-seas for opening night, which means I'll have a wait an extra week to see the movie. (And dodge spoilers.) :cry:

But then I found out it opens in Taiwan a week before the US! :sohappy:

(Now I just have to figure out which relative we can leave Li'l Z with for a few hours...)
@bhamv3 obviously. He's totally safe around children!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yes, because I want my 2-year-old to explain to me the ins and outs of 4chan.

Null

Null

Yes, because I want my 2-year-old to explain to me the ins and outs of 4chan.
Well, he'd have the right mentality...

Celt Z

Celt Z

He's too mature for that. ;)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I saw that there will be (credits)
no end of end of credits scene but a middle of credits scene.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pah, 4chan's practically family friendly these days.

8chan, however...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Pah, 4chan's practically family friendly these days.

8chan, however...
/co/ is a surprisingly good board lately, and weirdly enough /v/ can be a good time if you're on it late-night. Daytime /v/ is still pretty much a shithole.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

/co/ is a surprisingly good board lately, and weirdly enough /v/ can be a good time if you're on it late-night. Daytime /v/ is still pretty much a shithole.
I still enjoy the /v/ musicals whenever they put them out. They are always a lot of fun, even if they can be completely mean spirited sometimes.

But yeah, 8chan is where most of the "real" shit goes down these days.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

The only way I am going to get to see this in theater is either:
1. Skipping work while the kiddo is in daycare
2. Taking said kiddo and ruining the flick for all
3. Waiting until it is re-released for its 20 yr anniversary

I think I am going to try #2. :troll:

J/K, relax

bhamv3

bhamv3

Actually, I'm heading back into the army for the week it's released here.

Given the choice between army life and babysitting Lil' Z, I'd choose babysitting every time. But, well, duty calls.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Given the choice between army life and babysitting Lil' Z, I'd choose babysitting every time. But, well, duty calls.
They can call you back like that, or is this the most creative way to get out of babysitting ever?

bhamv3

bhamv3

They can call you back like that, or is this the most creative way to get out of babysitting ever?
Yep, upon completing our national service, we can get called back for one-week refresher courses, up until we're 36 years old I think. Basically, they're afraid we're going to forget how to use our assault rifles.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

To me, Hawkeye is still pretty badass because despite not being clad in hyper-advanced power armor, or being a chemically augmented super soldier, or a rage-powered monster, he's there every step of the way with them.
That's what I'm saying. Some of the best Marvel heroes are non-powered. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Two-Gun Kid, even Rick Jones and the Teen Brigade. They know they're outclassed but they'll charge in regardless. That's what heroes do.

bhamv3

bhamv3

And Batman. Don't forget Batman.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's what I'm saying. Some of the best Marvel heroes are non-powered. Hawkeye, Black Widow, Two-Gun Kid, even Rick Jones and the Teen Brigade. They know they're outclassed but they'll charge in regardless. That's what heroes do.
And Batman. Don't forget Batman.

bhamv3

bhamv3

:troll:

Null

Null

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of Batman. He's sort of played out at this point.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of Batman. He's sort of played out at this point.
Bats can't seem to lose (his sidekicks do instead) and Joker is basically some kind of immortal Chaos God now, so yeah, I agree. Things got weird and dumb.

Bubble181

Bubble181

doody > duty.

evilmike

evilmike

New poster courtesy of Entertainment Weekly (via io9)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Our first good look at Vision, if I'm not mistaken?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Did Tony forget to build Ultron legs?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Liefeld took the picture.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Poster design by Rob Liefeld.[DOUBLEPOST=1428554861,1428554824][/DOUBLEPOST]
Liefeld took the picture.

Null

Null

I, too, was going to make a Liefeld reference.

fade

fade

Is it just me, or does this look like a terrible shoop your weird cousin posts on facebook?

Covar

Covar

It's not just you. I think it looks really bad, especially quicksilver who is clearly just standing. It doesn't help that it's all individual promo pictures arranged together via photoshop. It honestly looks like the same "artwork" you find on third rate licensed products.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is there anyway to make Quicksilver look good?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It's all about drawing them swooshes. Especially swooshing hair. Twilight got the swooshes just right.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Did HULK close his eyes to avoid the camera flash?

GasBandit

GasBandit

For some reason it reminds me of one of those old plastic lunchboxes I had in elementary school.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hate how every movie poster/promo has the actors copy-pasta'ed into the pic together. You would think they could afford a photographer on a 100 million dollar movie.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I hate how every movie poster/promo has the actors copy-pasta'ed into the pic together. You would think they could afford a photographer on a 100 million dollar movie.
It's being produced by Entertainment Weekly, not Disney/Marvel, who probably didn't want to shell out the $$$$ to get a new group photo. Cheap Photoshop it is, then!

Adam

Adam

Parallel to Xmen cover?

MindDetective

MindDetective

The best thing about that ugly poster is that Hawkeye is the one turned around looking over his shoulder.

Null

Null

The best thing about that ugly poster is that Hawkeye is the one turned around looking over his shoulder.
Jeremy Renner didn't buy Buns of Steel for nothing!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Parallel to Xmen cover?

Man, 90's X-Men had the best costumes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Man, 90's X-Men had the best costumes.
I own that issue!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I own that issue!
I don't think there's anyone who read comics in the 90s that doesn't own that issue.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I don't think there's anyone who read comics in the 90s that doesn't own that issue.
Considering that there were over 8 million copies of it printed, yep.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I never did. But then, I'm not a big X-Men fan. Or a big Jim Lee fan.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was a DC Street Level Hero fan. Batman, Green Arrow, Question, El Diablo, etc...

figmentPez

figmentPez

"I've got no legs to hold me here; so you can mock, and you can jeer. Promo pics cost quite a fee, those legs just don't come free!"

Frank

Frank

I wonder how long Paul Bettany has known they planned on him being Vision.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I wonder how long Paul Bettany has known they planned on him being Vision.
One of the biggest curiosities about the movie that I can't wait to see is how they make Vision. There is obviously going to be a J.A.R.V.I.S connection but they have been very tight lipped on Visions whole origin, and I really just want to see how that connection plays out.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

One of the biggest curiosities about the movie that I can't wait to see is how they make Vision. There is obviously going to be a J.A.R.V.I.S connection but they have been very tight lipped on Visions whole origin, and I really just want to see how that connection plays out.
My theory is Ultron gets into all of Tony's systems and one of them is JARVIS. Maybe gives JARVIS some more self-control or self-awareness. Then builds him a body to "free" him from his digital prison. And JARVIS, still being of free will, joins The Avengers.

That's all totally theory, mind you. It could - and likely will - play out entirely differently.

bhamv3

bhamv3

My guess is that Vision will only show up at the very end. Sort of like Nick's scenario, but Vision only "breaks free" of Ultron's control near the end, and tips the scales in the Avengers' favor.

I say this because so far we haven't seen the Vision in any of the battle scenes in the trailers, such as that one where the Avengers are standing in a circle surrounded by Ultron-bots.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

From what I remember, Vision is stupid powerful, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and he's only a big part of the last battle.

Frank

Frank

Clip from the movie, with my reservations about it below.

This shows Tony Stark giving less of a shit about civilian collateral damage than fucking Man of Steel. That's not good. It's also about as video gamey as it gets with the regenerating self repairing armor in the worst way possible. The driver of that delivery vehicle. Probably dead. Tony's just letting loose with his Hulk powered repulsors willy fucking nilly.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Clip from the movie, with my reservations about it below.

This shows Tony Stark giving less of a shit about civilian collateral damage than fucking Man of Steel. That's not good. It's also about as video gamey as it gets with the regenerating self repairing armor in the worst way possible. The driver of that delivery vehicle. Probably dead. Tony's just letting loose with his Hulk powered repulsors willy fucking nilly.
1) Eh, of all the Avengers, Tony is probably the most reckless. Plus, he's against The Hulk, who's known for collateral damage. Plus plus, we haven't seen the whole fight yet. Reserve judgement until that.
2) I actually liked the way Tony repaired the armour. It's basically an extension of what we already saw in Iron man 3.

Frank

Frank

It's the total nonchalantness of the whole thing that bugs me. It's only a 90 second clip but there's no tension whatsoever when a rampaging rage Hulk should be cause for a lot more alarm than a snarky dick move quip.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Did you see Iron Man 1 or 3? In IM1, Tony kills several terrorists during his escape from the 10 Rings, then comes back for more later where he wastes even more (though he's a bit more careful about not hitting civilians this time). Then, in Iron Man 3, when he builds gadgets to sneak into The Mandarin's base of operations, he's gunning down thugs left and right to the point that he literally uses an Uzi/Mac-10 on one at one point.

Tony may speak big about the sanctity of human life and not wanting to make weapons anymore, but he's probably got a body count up there with Black Widow and Hawkeye at this point.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I do think that at least trying to address the issue of collateral damage would've been nice. For example, the Hulkbuster armor is shown as being capable of picking up the Hulk and carrying him, as well as knocking the Hulk back a considerable distance. How about a brief scene where Tony picks up the Hulk and tries to fly him somewhere less populated (possibly while muttering "gotta get you off the street") but the Hulk interrupts Tony by punching him two hundred yards backwards. And then Tony's all like "okay then", gets up, and the rest of the fight proceeds as we see in the clip.

EDIT: Or, heck, just add a scene with Tony muttering about getting the Hulk off the street in this very clip, during the part where the Hulkbuster picks up the Hulk.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hate getting into these storyline arguments, but-

When Superman blows up buildings in Man of Steel during his FIRST REAL FIGHT WITH SOMEONE EVER IN HIS LIFE, and then later while fighting three different alien threats at once alone - this is inexcusable, Superman is a monster and shouldn't even be called Superman anymore!

If the Avengers do the same with 10 members and 20 movies' experience fighting super villains in crowded cities - eh, it's collateral damage/the Hulk

I'm at least consistent in not caring, since a superhero fight in a field in Montana would be boring as fuck and never happen on film.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Difference being Superman's the literal incarnation of Good and Justice and Caring while Iron Man's a drunk asshole who used to be the world's biggest weapons supplier. I mean, there's a difference of expectations there.

fade

fade

I hate getting into these storyline arguments, but-

When Superman blows up buildings in Man of Steel during his FIRST REAL FIGHT WITH SOMEONE EVER IN HIS LIFE, and then later while fighting three different alien threats at once alone - this is inexcusable, Superman is a monster and shouldn't even be called Superman anymore!

If the Avengers do the same with 10 members and 20 movies' experience fighting super villains in crowded cities - eh, it's collateral damage/the Hulk

I'm at least consistent in not caring, since a superhero fight in a field in Montana would be boring as fuck and never happen on film.
I don't think that's a correct assessment of the argument. It's not that he's not Superman because killing is objectively bad, he's not Superman when he does that because 90 years of comics have built up a character whose one consistent feature is his boy scout, almost naively innocent nature. Stark, on the other hand, has quite a different personality in the comics.

evilmike

evilmike

I ran across an article that is on point with the recent discussion:

How Avengers: Age of Ultron Handles Destruction Better Than Man of Steel

I thought about that third-act carnage a lot while watching Avengers: Age of Ultron, which places an unusual emphasis on evacuating and saving innocent people.
With Ultron, said Whedon, the filmmaker wanted to "get back to what's important, which is that the people you're trying to protect are people.
said Whedon. "What a hero does is not just beat up the bad guy — a hero saves the people."

fade

fade

You know there was also quite a bit of attention paid to saving the citizens in the first avengers movie, too.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Korea gets the movie first *and* an Age of Ultron ice cream cake. UNFAIR.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, i'm seeing this tomorrow... does the US not get it yet?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So, i'm seeing this tomorrow... does the US not get it yet?
May 1st.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

My friends who are still in Korea saw Avengers 2 the other day. They say it's great.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wonder what the business decision was to have it release later in the states this time? To drum up more hype?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As said in the video above, for Korea, it's to keep everyone from just downloading it instead.

Frank

Frank

Not uncommon for big films to release overseas first nowadays. Except Japan, for some reason. They have to wait like 3 months.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, it's fairly standard practice to release movies first in Asia these days, because the idea is that regions such as Korea, China, Southeast Asia etc have the highest rates of piracy, so if you release it in the US first, then audiences in Asia will just download a cam version instead of going to theaters.