[Movies] The Avengers 2

I had no idea what the context of the Thor comment was since I haven't seen the movie.

and I've seen Firefly, that doesn't make it any less crass

Also if you don't understand why objectifying Thor is completely different than Black Widow, please come back when you have more than a small child's understanding of gender inequality and the patriarchy, plz
He was naked.

In Fiefly, it is meant "I'm gonna go masturbate" but that's not how it's been used, at least on this forum. And it's been used a lot.

It is completely different, but if the exact words were used, you'd still not want to hear about another forum member's masturbation habits, right? I thought that was the issue.

I had no idea what the context of the Thor comment was since I haven't seen the movie.

and I've seen Firefly, that doesn't make it any less crass

Also if you don't understand why objectifying Thor is completely different than Black Widow, please come back when you have more than a small child's understanding of gender inequality and the patriarchy, plz

It's Tuesday! Time for the extra hour of Avengers sexy goodness on Agents of Shield tonight!

Inhumans and Ultrons and Lady Sif!

Oh Myyyyyy.

For what it's worth, my Thor thoughts were unworthy :)
B-b-but then you're objectifying him! He's nothing more than an object to you! Chris Hemsworth is a person, you know! He has a personality! He's not just a set of rippling pectorals or a washboard stomach for you to admire! You're treating him like an object the same way he treats his hammer like an object.

The hammer is his penis.

B-b-but then you're objectifying him! He's nothing more than an object to you! Chris Hemsworth is a person, you know! He has a personality! He's not just a set of rippling pectorals or a washboard stomach for you to admire! You're treating him like an object the same way he treats his hammer like an object.

The hammer is his penis.
Yes :)

fade

Staff member
Does that mean if he fell asleep on top of you after, you couldn't lift it off?[DOUBLEPOST=1430842330,1430842294][/DOUBLEPOST]Or maybe he has to spin it really fast with his hand to get, uh, lift.

GasBandit

Staff member
Does that mean if he fell asleep on top of you after, you couldn't lift it off?[DOUBLEPOST=1430842330,1430842294][/DOUBLEPOST]Or maybe he has to spin it really fast with his hand to get, uh, lift.
You make it SO tempting to post meatspin.gif.

fade

Staff member
The funny thing about controversial topics is that you will never win any support--and will perhaps lose a great deal of potential support--by resorting to anger and invective.

The funny thing about controversial topics is that you will never win any support--and will perhaps lose a great deal of potential support--by resorting to anger and invective.
nah, not really, if you don't support equality because someone was mad about it, you don't really anyways???

and if you're nice and kind all the time, nothing ever changes

Saw ot Sunday night. I thought it was great, but I'm glad i readjusted my expectations heading in based on reviews.

Storywise it definitely suffered from the bloated cast. Things moved way too quickly and so character introductions were rushed and cameos seemed a little out of place. It is perhaps the most comic booky movie so far in that regard (ie: the party scene. Those cameos going on in one big splash page to establish the setting- very comic book cool, but cut into 30 little 5-30 second snippets of conversation, it stands out for the fanservice it is.)

But the action was amazing, the jokes all hit their mark. It outdoes the original Avengers, and most comicbook movies so far, in both categories. So I forgive it's story structure for it's campiness. Overall, very solid.

Last edited:
nah, not really, if you don't support equality because someone was mad about it, you don't really anyways???
It doesn't cause people to reject equality, it causes them to reject your arguments and viewpoint about the specifics of what it is and how to achieve it. Which, for any person who thinks that they're correct, is something no one wants to do. Any good idea someone may have gets filtered out along with the angry, ranting noise.

Counter-evidence:

Last edited:
He's saying the people who are potentially in the middle on something, who could be swayed to your side and agree with you, won't because you come off as an irrational screeching bat-monster. There are a number of us who've been on your side with a thing, try to discuss it with you, and are ignored because you're only interested in getting a pissed off reaction. Several of us have brought this up to you, in fact, and been ignored, because unless someone is angry at you, you didn't succeed and it's not worth your time.

Being on the right side of an issue is not an exclusive club, with your shitty personality as the bouncer. Being on the right side of an issue means explaining and educating, because while those of us who agree with you have our minds set and wouldn't be swayed by your agitation, the people who don't understand, don't know much about it, i.e. the people who could come to agree with you, will see your side of things as the wrong side.

It's been said to you and ignored by you many times, but here it is again: you hurt your own side. You hurt people on your side by your attitude. You hurt the people you allegedly want to help with manner of representing their interests. You make us seem less credible when you resort to the same trolling behavior as the people we're against.

There was an article I read, written by a young black man who was protesting during the Ferguson protests (not in Ferguson, but another city as a show of unity). And the people causing problems, agitating the police, turning the peaceful protest into something else, were the white protestors. Later, he met up with some of the people who organized the protest, who were black and some of whom had been around in the 60s civil rights movements, and they told him the same thing used to happen then. White allies causing problems, unaware they were making things worse because they weren't the ones who would suffer for it.

Who does that remind me of?

The point of difference in when aggression is the necessary mode for change is not for you, the person with privilege, to decide.

Charlie might read two words of this and then skip the rest without response, so I'm not sure why I bother, but then, why do any of us bother in these situations?

Back on topic: excessive expenses means I won't be seeing the movie this paycheck, and the further away from the opening week we get, the less likely I'll see it at all. An empty theater for a movie like this is no fun.

Charlie might read two words of this and then skip the rest without response, so I'm not sure why I bother, but then, why do any of us bother in these situations?
Put him on ignore. He's openly admitted that most of the things he says on here is to get a rise or a reaction from us, not to contribute to the actual conversation. By ignoring him, he doesn't get the reactions he wants.

Though I must say, it's funny seeing threads derail out of nowhere without seeing his side. Even without seeing what he said, I can predict in my head what it was.

In the meantime and back on topic, I finally saw Age of Ultron last night. Liked it a lot. Didn't love it like the first one. While it had just as many (if not more) great back and forth dialogue between the characters, it didn't really have as many key, iconic character moments like "Puny God," Cap giving orders to the police, or them finally assembled as the camera pans around them.

In terms of where it fits with the rest, I think it comfortably sits at the bottom of my top 5 favourites. My order: Winter Soldier, Guardians, Avengers 1, Captain America 1, then Age of Ultron. The first three could easily be interchangeable among themselves in any spot.

So yeah, thought it was great, but not as great as the first Avengers. Loved all the new characters introduced, especially Vision, who was introduced very well and Paul Bettany knocks it out of the park. Really great action sequences and I loved how it felt like they kept going, "See? SEE?! This is how it's done!" to Man of Steel.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member

But that's not my point at all! The point, I assume is to change someone's mind. If you believe that your audience is incapable of change, why address them at all? It's not about being nice necessarily, but rather about not attacking. Literally reams of paper have been written about this based on empirical observation by great leaders (regardless of whether you agree with what they are leading). Its been said by far greater leaders than me that the quickest way to make someone fully believe a point they only half believe in is to attack them for believing it at all. If you're interested, I highly recommend "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. It's a misleading title because the book is about what works in a disagreement. The tl;dr is that it's not about being nice, it's about convincing, which will never happen with an attack. Or to put it a different way, people may change if you tell them why you're right, not why they're wrong. Humans have egos. No way around it.

Last edited:
I think Charlie's goal is for us to talk about him, because that is the only effect he has.

It occurred to me that my morning would've been better spent finding out how many times I could masturbate to Thor and Black Widow. Hindsight is 20/20, y'know?