Export thread

The 2014 MLB Season Thread

jwhouk

jwhouk

Or, "How the Pirates will disappoint DarkAudit again this year."

My Brewers are ready with their latest acquisition: HANK!

Stray Dog makes the Brewers, will join team in Milwaukee

Tress

Tress

I feel like the Giants did nothing to improve this year. And they still have one of the worst farm systems in the league. When your plan for the season is "let's just pray no one gets injured, ever," then you are not going to go anywhere.

Gared

Gared

I don't even know how the Mariners did this off-season except for the fact that we kept King Felix and we got Cano. Will that be enough? Well, no, because Felix and Kuma can't pitch every other day. But it will be nice to have at least one good hitter. Maybe we'll lose a few less games by a score of 1 - 0.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You might actually contend for fourth in the division.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I appreciate the normal name for this season. WTF was honkbal?

And if you change it to spite me then fuck you.

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Honkbal" is the name of the game in Dutch. I named it that last year because of the Netherlands' success in the World Baseball Classic.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

let's go the Astros, bitch

jwhouk

jwhouk

And there you go. Seattle finishes at least fourth in the AL West.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And there you go. Seattle finishes at least fourth in the AL West.
no arguments here

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

After a winter full of non-moves, the fans here are nervous. 82-80 will be fine by me. Anything beyond that is gravy.

jwhouk

jwhouk

As long as we finish ahead of the Cubs and Pi-rates.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can't wait to sit and watch a baseball game.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I feel like the Giants did nothing to improve this year. And they still have one of the worst farm systems in the league. When your plan for the season is "let's just pray no one gets injured, ever," then you are not going to go anywhere.
Morse I think is a nice addition, he's looked good at the plate during Spring training. Panda has lost a ton of weight, and the last time he did that he was better at the plate too. Yeah, we need to hope everyone stays healthy, but I think we have all the tools to make another run at the championship again.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hopefully The Astros get out of the Comcast agreement this year, and maybe I can see some games this year. I've followed this team for nearly 20 years, and I don't think I can name a single player now. That comes from them trading off all their players and the terrible cable deal that keeps over half of their fan base with no way to watch their games.

Tress

Tress

Morse I think is a nice addition, he's looked good at the plate during Spring training. Panda has lost a ton of weight, and the last time he did that he was better at the plate too. Yeah, we need to hope everyone stays healthy, but I think we have all the tools to make another run at the championship again.
That lack of depth worries me so much. There is no one in AAA if they need a replacement for any reason. If they don't make a deep run at the playoffs, they need to consider trading everyone not named Cain, Bumgarner, and Posey to start reloading for the coming years.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

MLB approved protective caps for pitchers in January. Would it have protected Chapman? There's still a whole lot of face left exposed even if you are wearing one of those.

Covar

Covar

Hopefully The Astros get out of the Comcast agreement this year, and maybe I can see some games this year. I've followed this team for nearly 20 years, and I don't think I can name a single player now. That comes from them trading off all their players and the terrible cable deal that keeps over half of their fan base with no way to watch their games.
MLB.tv + VPN. I did that with NHL GameCenter Live and it worked great.

Yankees lost Cano, and Jeter is retiring after this season, but new arms on the mound and I think they'll be able to make a better run of it then last year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

MLB approved protective caps for pitchers in January. Would it have protected Chapman? There's still a whole lot of face left exposed even if you are wearing one of those.
Probably not. I don't even think a BP screen would protect anything.

It's a bit ironic that the pitcher's name is "Chapman". Sadly ironic.

Covar

Covar

Bought MLB.tv Premium this year. It continues to be the best digital sports offering out there. I'm kind of kicking myself for not spending the extra $25 to include MiLB.tv. My only annoyance is that the only 2 games on right now feature the two "local" teams so the video is blacked out (not the radio broadcasts strangely). Local is in quotes, as both the Nationals and the Orioles are 4 and 5 hours away from me.[DOUBLEPOST=1396635809,1396635318][/DOUBLEPOST]Cubs Phillies just started, so I have something to watch while working. :)

I love the Cubs, they remind me that as bad as things seem for my sports teams, it could always be much, much worse.

Celt Z

Celt Z

If we're taking about the Yanks...eh, this might not be the season high you want to go out on Jeter.

But in MLB related news, I think the Mets' Daniel Murphy is a class act and has his priorities straight. Can't say the same for certain sports radio commentators...:mad:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

let's go the fuckin' Astros!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

And that explains everything about Charlie.

See, he's an ASTROS fan.

Anyone who's had to put up with the #### he has over the last several years since the Killer B's retired would have the same attitude.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Astros fans are more likely angry that they can't watch the games on TV. Than they are angry about the team being terrible.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And that explains everything about Charlie.

See, he's an ASTROS fan.

Anyone who's had to put up with the #### he has over the last several years since the Killer B's retired would have the same attitude.
Ahem.

Try TWENTY years. And most of the 80s as well. :p

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The tragedy of it is that I have Comcast and have watched way too many Astros games in the last ~7 years since I moved to Texas/adopted them

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, you're just special, DA. :p

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The best hit of the Cub's 2014 season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Their left fielder had the wrong jersey on to start the game the other day.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The best hit of the Cub's 2014 season.

That's...not actually the mascot. That's some creepy guy who dresses up as a bear and pretends to be the mascot, and then acts like an asshole to people around the park before and after the game. The Cubs have instructed him to stop several times, and actually created their own mascot just so they could legally make him stop pretending to be one.

Gared

Gared

<sigh> New Manager, new players, new season, same old Mariners.

Covar

Covar

So the Yankees made an around the horn triple play last night in Tampa.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v32159635

Covar

Covar

Null

Null

Jacoby Ellsbury has been doing a fine job in pinstripes, and Tanaka is living up to his reputation so far. Jeter seems like he's working his way back, if he can keep healthy (which, at 40, is a big if).

Teixiera is well on his way to becoming Bruce Willis' supervillain nemesis, the way he's going.

I hope the Yankees can make it to the world series this year, but it's too early to tell.

Gared

Gared

A walk-off grand slam. Are you kidding me?! God damn we need some pitchers.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:facepalm:

Muck Filwaukee. GTFO of our league, interlopers. Bring back Houston.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Tell your trash talking pitcher to shut up first.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tell your trash talking pitcher to shut up first.
Um, no. Gomez has a history...

jwhouk

jwhouk

He who is without sin, cast the first pictures of Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla doing the exact same thing years ago.

You know, back when you guys were "good"?

Covar

Covar

Not Major League ball, but here's a video of an Umpire at a minor league game ejecting the organist for playing 3 blind mice.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Suspensions came down from MLB today:

Martin Maldonado, Brewers: five games
Carlos Gomez, Brewers: three games (he is appealing, as he already stated)
Travis Snider: Pirates: two games
Russell Martin, Pirates: one game

Cole got nothing. Reports are that his only comment was "flick your bat for a homer, not a flyball".

Gared

Gared

It's sad. The Houston Second-to-Lastro's just doesn't have the same ring to it. But we'll always be the Seattle Moroners.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't beat yourself up over it, Gared. You've got yourselves positioned for the long haul; now you just need to get some pitching out there.

You'd think pitchers would flock to Seattle, because of the conditions @ Safeco (sea level, humidity).

Zappit

Zappit

Okay, Red Sox, I wasn't expecting a repeat. I wasn't expecting another shocking season. But a nine game losing streak? Come on, now!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Beckett throws the first no-no of the season. Free pizza will cause the MLB webiste to crash at 3 PM ET Tuesday.

Null

Null

Beckett throws the first no-no in history. Free pizza will cause the MLB webiste to crash at 3 PM ET Tuesday.
Not sure what you mean by that. Beckett threw his first no-hitter, but there have been many no-hitters before (281 by official reckoning), and he walked three, so it wasn't a perfect game (of which there have been 23.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

All right, all right, I was half asleep when I wrote that. Sue me.

It was the first of the year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I love baseball.

Crew ties it in the bottom of the ninth, K-Rod gets the O's down in the 10th; they walk the winning run on in the bottom of the inning to bring up the pitcher's spot.

It's a pitcher, all right - tomorrow's starter, Yovanni Gallardo. He of the career .202/.348/.230 percentages.

And what does he do?

Just lace a double to left center that scores the winning run.

I love baseball.

jwhouk

jwhouk

(munches on a slice of pizza)

Fank yu Yash Behkit.

(munches on some more pizza)

(clears throat)

Oh and DA? About Carlos? I got at least one girl in Wisconsin who likes him.

Tress

Tress

I'm happy that I was wrong about the Giants supposed lack of improvement during the offseason. I had no idea Hudson and Morse would be such vast improvements over their predecessors.

The lack of depth is still scary, though, especially with the starting rotation.

But hey, a 6 game lead over the fucking Bums! Not a bad way to start the season.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

SPRINGER DINGERS

jwhouk

jwhouk

(munches on a slice of pizza)

Fank yu Crayton Kehshaw.

(munches on some more pizza)

(clears throat)

Mmm. I've had more Domino's Pizza this year than I've had in about two decades.

evilmike

evilmike

30 MLB first basemen reciting a speech made 75 years ago today:

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, I seem to remember something about an adage in baseball: "First on the Fourth, First at the end."

Gee, what do those standings look like, @DarkAudit?

NLC W L GB
MIL 51 35 --
STL 46 40 5.0
PIT 44 41 6.5
CIN 43 41 7.0
CHC 37 46 12.5

jwhouk

jwhouk

Still atop the Central at the break.

It must be... Crew Love. :D

Zappit

Zappit

Hmmm...Red Sox drop The Most Hated a Player In The Majors, and immediately win 8 of their next nine.

Coincidence?

jwhouk

jwhouk

The bad news is, David Price is now a Detroit Tiger.

The good news is, he isn't a Pittsburgh Pirate! :cool:

jwhouk

jwhouk

AAAAAASRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, DA, you wanna tell your boys to STOP WINNING BALLGAMES for a while?

BErt

It's just a three game series this weekend, no big deal

*hyperventilates into a paper bag*

jwhouk

jwhouk

(goes and sobs quietly in the corner)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

(goes and sobs quietly in the corner)
Something wrong? ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

May you get slaughtered in the play-in game, Bucco Boy. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is lovely. Not only do the Buccos clinch their playoff spot in Atlanta, they close out the season series with the Barves with an absolute curbstomping. (10-0 as I type this). :D

Celt Z

Celt Z

Nice way to close out your final home game, Captain. (I wish the Yanks had give you a better final season, but too late now.)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not to gloat or anything, but that was loss #82 for the Barves. :devil:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Astros didn't lose 100 games!!!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I want the Brewers to lose out the rest of the season, even if it is to the horrendous Cubs.

Because going from first place in late July to 81-81 would mean Attanasio would HAVE to make heads roll.

Dave

Dave

Can you imagine what would have happened last night had the pitcher intentionally walked Jeter or hit him with a pitch instead of throwing him a meatball?

Null

Null

Can you imagine what would have happened last night had the pitcher intentionally walked Jeter or hit him with a pitch instead of throwing him a meatball?
If he'd hit him with a pitch, the crowd would have been howling for his blood. As for a meatball... well, yeah, it certainly didn't seem to have a lot of movement on it, though the first two batters ahead of Jeter made contact in fairly short order as well - base hit and sacrifice bunt. So it wasn't like he was throwing dynamite to start with. As for an intentional walk? You'd have two runners on, one out, with the cleanup guys in the batting order coming up. That's not exactly a great call, unless you assume the double-play.

Yankees Stadium is going to miss Jeter. 20 years, a class act. One of the best of all time all-around players.

Dave

Dave

It was definitely a meatball pitch. The guy threw the same first pitch to both of the batters in front of him. Same pitch, same speed. Jeter knew what was coming.

Null

Null

It was definitely a meatball pitch. The guy threw the same first pitch to both of the batters in front of him. Same pitch, same speed. Jeter knew what was coming.
So Showalter wanted to throw the game, by putting a runner in scoring position and then giving it up? While fighting for home field advantage in the post-season, too. Yes, that seems more likely than a guy with over 3,000 career hits getting an actual base hit in a big moment.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Null keeps stealing all my answers, so I'm just going to sit here and agree with him.

Dave

Dave

With 3 games left in the season, the only way that was happening was if they won out and the Angels lost them all. And since the Angels had already won, this loss does almost nothing to the O's. No pitcher starts all three batters off in the same inning with the same pitch at the same speed. Not at that level. It was telegraphed and gift-wrapped.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't mind me, I'm just sitting over here in the corner, weeping upon hearing that the F###ING KANSAS CITY ROYALS made the playoffs.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now that Lorde song may get to be popular again...

I guess that makes it worse news.

Null

Null

Now that Lorde song may get to be popular again...

I guess that makes it worse news.
Just imagine how big it'll be if they make it to the World Series.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Just imagine how big it'll be if they make it to the World Series.
Nah. The stars are aligning for yet another Pittsburgh-Baltimore series. :D

Null

Null

And the door is closed on the career of Derek Sanderson Jeter, in his final game at Fenway Park, the Yankees winning 9-5 over the Red Sox. Jeter went 1-for-2, with an RBI single.

Career numbers (regular season):
Games played: 2,747 (26th)
At-bats: 11,195 (7th)
Runs: 1,923 (9th)
Average: .309 (77th - tied)
Hits: 3,465 (6th)
Total bases: 4,921 (21st)
Doubles: 544 (29th)
Triples: 66 (433rd - tied)
Home runs: 260 (188th - tied)
RBI: 1,311 (104th - tied)
Walks: 1,082 (39 intentional)
Strikeouts: 1,840 (85th)
Stolen bases: 358 (103rd)
Caught stealing: 97 (126th - tied)
On-base percentage: .377 (128th - tied)
Slugging percentage: .440 (296th - tied)
OPS: .817 (212th - tied)

His postseason numbers are hard to believe, in fact he effectively played an entire full season just in the postseason:
158 games (#1 all time)
650 at bats (#1 all time)
111 runs scored (#1st all time)
200 hits (#1 all time)
302 total bases (#1 all time)
32 doubles (#1 all time)
5 triples (tied #1 all time)
20 home runs (#3 all time)
61 RBIs (#4 all time)
66 base on balls (#5 all time)
135 strikeouts (#1 all time)
18 stolen bases (#6 all time)
143 singles (#1 all time)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wisconsin boy makes good. Auburndale Wisconsin's Jordan Zimmerman no-no's the Marlins on the final day of the season.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Altuve won the batting title! Including a couple hits on the last game of the season after convincing the GM to let him play / go down swinging, so to speak.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ross Barnes to Old Hoss Radbourn to Cy Young to Pete Alexander to Lefty Gomez to Warren Spahn to Steve Carlton to Randy Johnson to Madison Bumgarner.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Gee, it got awful quiet there at PNC Park all of a sudden.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Isn't it glorious? :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Niners have a 7-0 lead on the Steelers on Wednesday Night Football... ;)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bye, Pittsburgh, thanks for playing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Go... Royals? :(

First night in a week I was able to sleep in and that's exactly what I did.

jwhouk

jwhouk

136 days until spring training, fella. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

In case I haven't said it lately, I HATE THE CARDINALS.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Baseball rooting interests:

1) Royals
2) Nationals
3) Orioles
4) Dodgers
5) Tigers
6) Angels
7) Giants
8) Cardinals

Krisken

Krisken

In case I haven't said it lately, I HATE THE CARDINALS.
Damn right.

Tress

Tress

Baseball rooting interests:

1) Royals
2) Nationals
3) Orioles
4) Dodgers
5) Tigers
6) Angels
7) Giants
8) Cardinals
:(

Why so low for the Giants?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

They just won the WS twice really recently. Y'all spoilt. :O

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have hated the Cardinals since October of 1982. I will continue to hate them forever.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Giants take 2-0 series lead, the LONG way around!

jwhouk

jwhouk

LOL Tigers.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Mmmm, Dodger tears are delicious!
dodgers towel.jpeg

Null

Null

Go Orioles! Let's see a Cardinals v Orioles World Series, with Baltimore sweeping it!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ehhhh... that World Series sound like it would be for the birds.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Royals, Orioles, Giants, Cardinals.

And that's about the order of my rooting interests at the moment.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Royals, Orioles, Giants, Cardinals.

And that's about the order of my rooting interests at the moment.
"Image not to scale," otherwise Giants would be waaaaaay down there, and the Cards would be about 5 pages further down.

(well it is for me.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

The only thing we agree upon is our mutual hatred for the Cardinals.

Tress

Tress

Are the Giants no longer scrappy underdogs? Did we become the Evil Empire at some point, and I missed it?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Having a couple of World Series pennants flying over your ballpark does that to your cred.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I HATE THE CARDINALS.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Damn it Romo, you just had to get through ONE inning. Didn't even get past two pitches.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Cheesy loves Travis Ishikawa.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Damn straight I do! That was awesome!

jwhouk

jwhouk

The great national nightmare is over: the Cardinals' season is officially over.

Giants vs. Royals for the title.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And I really hope the Giants win again, just because it would piss off my brother's Dodger-loving friend SO much! :D

Tress

Tress

Fuck yeah!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The great national nightmare is over: the Cardinals' season is officially over.

Giants vs. Royals for the title.
And if trends continue, Royals in 4. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sorry, Cheesy, I agree with the kid from West Virginia.

Royals in 4.

jwhouk

jwhouk

For anyone who's wondering why Travis Ishikawa is Cheesy's new man crush:

https://twitter.com/MLBGIFs/status/522953838966222848/photo/1

Tress

Tress

Giants in 6.

Tress

Tress

And if trends continue, Royals in 4. :D
Sorry, Cheesy, I agree with the kid from West Virginia.

Royals in 4.
Ha! The Royals may win, but it won't be in 4.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Ha! The Royals may win, but it won't be in 4.
I'm getting a lecture from Olbermann about that at this very moment. :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Man, I wish the Giants would score like this more often, it would make things a whole lot less torturous!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Man, I wish the Giants would score like this more often, it would make things a whole lot less torturous!
But isn't their slogan "it's torture!"? :p

Piotyr

Piotyr

Several sources are reporting that 22 year old Cardinals OF Oscar Taveras has died in a car crash in the Dominican Republic tonight.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

They announced it a little bit ago during the broadcast as well. Just tragic.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, yeah, get you next year turkey. You only win the even years, anyways.

Tress

Tress

...and idiots riot in the streets. Oy.

:facepalm: