[MLB] The 2014 MLB Season Thread

I feel like the Giants did nothing to improve this year. And they still have one of the worst farm systems in the league. When your plan for the season is "let's just pray no one gets injured, ever," then you are not going to go anywhere.

I don't even know how the Mariners did this off-season except for the fact that we kept King Felix and we got Cano. Will that be enough? Well, no, because Felix and Kuma can't pitch every other day. But it will be nice to have at least one good hitter. Maybe we'll lose a few less games by a score of 1 - 0.

I appreciate the normal name for this season. WTF was honkbal?

And if you change it to spite me then fuck you.

"Honkbal" is the name of the game in Dutch. I named it that last year because of the Netherlands' success in the World Baseball Classic.

I feel like the Giants did nothing to improve this year. And they still have one of the worst farm systems in the league. When your plan for the season is "let's just pray no one gets injured, ever," then you are not going to go anywhere.
Morse I think is a nice addition, he's looked good at the plate during Spring training. Panda has lost a ton of weight, and the last time he did that he was better at the plate too. Yeah, we need to hope everyone stays healthy, but I think we have all the tools to make another run at the championship again.

Hopefully The Astros get out of the Comcast agreement this year, and maybe I can see some games this year. I've followed this team for nearly 20 years, and I don't think I can name a single player now. That comes from them trading off all their players and the terrible cable deal that keeps over half of their fan base with no way to watch their games.

Morse I think is a nice addition, he's looked good at the plate during Spring training. Panda has lost a ton of weight, and the last time he did that he was better at the plate too. Yeah, we need to hope everyone stays healthy, but I think we have all the tools to make another run at the championship again.
That lack of depth worries me so much. There is no one in AAA if they need a replacement for any reason. If they don't make a deep run at the playoffs, they need to consider trading everyone not named Cain, Bumgarner, and Posey to start reloading for the coming years.

Hopefully The Astros get out of the Comcast agreement this year, and maybe I can see some games this year. I've followed this team for nearly 20 years, and I don't think I can name a single player now. That comes from them trading off all their players and the terrible cable deal that keeps over half of their fan base with no way to watch their games.
MLB.tv + VPN. I did that with NHL GameCenter Live and it worked great.

Yankees lost Cano, and Jeter is retiring after this season, but new arms on the mound and I think they'll be able to make a better run of it then last year.

Bought MLB.tv Premium this year. It continues to be the best digital sports offering out there. I'm kind of kicking myself for not spending the extra $25 to include MiLB.tv. My only annoyance is that the only 2 games on right now feature the two "local" teams so the video is blacked out (not the radio broadcasts strangely). Local is in quotes, as both the Nationals and the Orioles are 4 and 5 hours away from me.[DOUBLEPOST=1396635809,1396635318][/DOUBLEPOST]Cubs Phillies just started, so I have something to watch while working. :)

I love the Cubs, they remind me that as bad as things seem for my sports teams, it could always be much, much worse.

If we're taking about the Yanks...eh, this might not be the season high you want to go out on Jeter.

But in MLB related news, I think the Mets' Daniel Murphy is a class act and has his priorities straight. Can't say the same for certain sports radio commentators...:mad:

And that explains everything about Charlie.

See, he's an ASTROS fan.

Anyone who's had to put up with the #### he has over the last several years since the Killer B's retired would have the same attitude.

And that explains everything about Charlie.

See, he's an ASTROS fan.

Anyone who's had to put up with the #### he has over the last several years since the Killer B's retired would have the same attitude.
Ahem.

Try TWENTY years. And most of the 80s as well. :p

The best hit of the Cub's 2014 season.

That's...not actually the mascot. That's some creepy guy who dresses up as a bear and pretends to be the mascot, and then acts like an asshole to people around the park before and after the game. The Cubs have instructed him to stop several times, and actually created their own mascot just so they could legally make him stop pretending to be one.

Jacoby Ellsbury has been doing a fine job in pinstripes, and Tanaka is living up to his reputation so far. Jeter seems like he's working his way back, if he can keep healthy (which, at 40, is a big if).

Teixiera is well on his way to becoming Bruce Willis' supervillain nemesis, the way he's going.

I hope the Yankees can make it to the world series this year, but it's too early to tell.