Export thread

Thanksgiving 2018: The Turkeying!

Emrys

Emrys

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American Halforumites! :heart:

And to those who aren't American, I hereby make you honourary Americans, so go eat some pie.

And remember
Donald Turkey.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

THAT turkey should never be pardoned.

Also Thanksgiving prep is going extremely stress-y.

But dinner should be fantastic.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I just got home from my local burger joint and got my Planes, Trains and Automobiles burger they do every year on American Thanksgiving.

Their freshly made turkey burger with duck confit, gravy and cranberry aoili. It's fucking delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave

Dave

Got up at 6:30 to get the turkey ready. God damn thing was perfect. Juicy and just tasty as hell. It looked like a turkey you'd see in an ad.

The wife made stuffing and potatoes and green bean casserole. The daughter brought dessert which was caramel apple crumble.

Cowboys come on in an hour. Fuck yeah.

Dei

Dei

I'm grateful for having no plans this year and just being able to have turkey with minimal sides and not stress out about shit. Other than what I mentioned in the whine thread of course. ;)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Just me and my wife for thanksgiving this year. So it was a minimum of fuss. 2.5 hours from start to finish.
20181122_114046.jpg

20181122_114055.jpg

For dessert, I went all out.

:awesome:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans!

Now where am I supposed to find a piece of pie at this time of night?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I get about 5 or 6 ounces of food before it starts coming back up. So hard to choose!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I get about 5 or 6 ounces of food before it starts coming back up. So hard to choose!
I did better this year than in prior years. Only two slices of turkey, and easily less than 1/4c of the taters and stuffing.

I still cringe at the jellied cranberry sauce in the can. I have an amazing cranberry-orange chutney recipe that I used to make at thanksgiving. But my wife likes the canned stuff. Won't even try mine. So I don't make it any more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Other than what I mentioned in the whine thread of course. ;)
And in Discord.

The stress is done, here's the result:
pieforce.jpeg

LtoR: Black-bottom pie, pumpkin/sweet potato pie, and maple pecan pie. And two puddings made with the leftover pie filling.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

I expect every last one of you to save a plate for me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I couldn't help it. Barfed. But it was good.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We picked up Boston Market last night, watched a couple new MST3k episodes while eating it today.

I couldn't help it. Barfed. But it was good.
So you also watched Mac and Me :p.

evilmike

evilmike

thanksgiving 2018.jpg

Frank

Frank

Got up at 6:30 to get the turkey ready. God damn thing was perfect. Juicy and just tasty as hell. It looked like a turkey you'd see in an ad.

The wife made stuffing and potatoes and green bean casserole. The daughter brought dessert which was caramel apple crumble.

Cowboys come on in an hour. Fuck yeah.
What time do you eat at where you have to prep the turkey at 6 AM?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Turkeys take a long time to bake properly. Low and slow is the recommended way.

Dave

Dave

What time do you eat at where you have to prep the turkey at 6 AM?
A 14 pound bird takes about 3.5-4 hours at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

I had to take out the neck & giblets and then pat it dry with paper towels, rub it down with canoil, then rub in salt, pepper, and herbs.

Emrys

Emrys

I had to... pat it dry with paper towels, rub it down with canoil, then rub in...herbs.
Go on. :popcorn:

PatrThom

PatrThom

He already said that low and slow is the way to go.

As for our Thanksgiving, nobody died, which was the preferred outcome.
There was some small concern, glad to see it was unfounded.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Turkeys take a long time to bake properly. Low and slow is the recommended way.
Now I disagree. I spatchcock the turkey and it only takes 1 1/2 hours for it to come out juicy and perfect. No basting, no fuss.

On the other hand, since I'm the only one cooking for 9 people and 3 dogs, this is the first chance I've had to sit and relax since this morning. Besides appetizers, I made the usual turkey, parsnip and leek bread pudding, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, roasted cauliflower with dates and pine nuts. MiL brought salad and wine, a few people brought dessert, and now I am very, very tired. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The last 10 or 15 years, we've deep fried the turkey. Doesn't take too long, tastes pretty good.

Gared

Gared

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Frank

Frank

Dry brining and spatchcocking is the best way 100%

J Kenji Lopez-Alt fer life.

Null

Null

Turkey breast, since it's just 4 of us. Cooked in a cast iron skillet, 2 hours at 375F. Delicious.

Dave

Dave

Never heard of spatchcocking. Sounds dirty.

Dave

Dave

And now thanks to google I know what spatchcocking is.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And now thanks to Bing I know what spatchcocking is :unibrow:.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ahhhhh...and after a good night's sleep, the best part of Thanksgiving: the post-meal breakfast. :)

20181123_081222.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

And now thanks to google I know what spatchcocking is.
Spatchcocking is the best cocking way to get chicken from fridge to mouth as quickly as possible, plus it comes with such awesome benefits.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

Ahhhhh...and after a good night's sleep, the best part of Thanksgiving: the post-meal breakfast. :)

View attachment 28059
You're so awesome.

Dei

Dei

Ever since @Celt Z first mentioned spatchcocking on this forum, it's been my husband's favorite part of Thanksgiving. I don't think he got to play enough Mortal Kombat as a child.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ever since @Celt Z first mentioned spatchcocking on this forum, it's been my husband's favorite part of Thanksgiving. I don't think he got to play enough Mortal Kombat as a child.
:rofl:

Every year when I cut out the spine, I hold it up and say "Fatality!". Please high-five him for me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Kati says it’s a great way to deal with the stress of having a husband.

—Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

I went to my besties' family Thanksgiving as the refugee/+1.

I think we were about 14 people in all. My challot and garlic/cheddar bread got devoured :D

IMG_20181122_243808535.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

We always do Thanksgiving day itself with the extended family, then the next day with just the immediate family.
My mom's sweet potatoes fresh out of the oven = heaven. :sohappy:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

("KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?")

PatrThom

PatrThom

("KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?")
You know, I've gone all year without hearing this somehow.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

You know, I've gone all year without hearing this somehow.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

And by not clicking on that, I continue my streak.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

3 Thanksgivings and not one had pumpkin pie. :mad:
I ate so much food though...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Tonight was leftover turkey tostadas. :heart:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Tonight was leftover turkey tostadas. :heart:
With or without radishes?

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Glad to see HF survived another Thanksgiving!

We made roasted lamb and other Thanksgiving staples. I made from-scratch cornbread dressing that was quite good. The Napa Valley pinot noir was a bit boring.

drifter

drifter

I had buttermilk pie for the first time. It was good.