Thanksgiving 2018: The Turkeying!

THAT turkey should never be pardoned.

Also Thanksgiving prep is going extremely stress-y.

But dinner should be fantastic.

--Patrick

I just got home from my local burger joint and got my Planes, Trains and Automobiles burger they do every year on American Thanksgiving.

Their freshly made turkey burger with duck confit, gravy and cranberry aoili. It's fucking delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave

Staff member
Got up at 6:30 to get the turkey ready. God damn thing was perfect. Juicy and just tasty as hell. It looked like a turkey you'd see in an ad.

The wife made stuffing and potatoes and green bean casserole. The daughter brought dessert which was caramel apple crumble.

Cowboys come on in an hour. Fuck yeah.

I'm grateful for having no plans this year and just being able to have turkey with minimal sides and not stress out about shit. Other than what I mentioned in the whine thread of course. ;)

Just me and my wife for thanksgiving this year. So it was a minimum of fuss. 2.5 hours from start to finish.
20181122_114046.jpg

20181122_114055.jpg

For dessert, I went all out.

:awesome:

Last edited:
I get about 5 or 6 ounces of food before it starts coming back up. So hard to choose!
I did better this year than in prior years. Only two slices of turkey, and easily less than 1/4c of the taters and stuffing.

I still cringe at the jellied cranberry sauce in the can. I have an amazing cranberry-orange chutney recipe that I used to make at thanksgiving. But my wife likes the canned stuff. Won't even try mine. So I don't make it any more.

Got up at 6:30 to get the turkey ready. God damn thing was perfect. Juicy and just tasty as hell. It looked like a turkey you'd see in an ad.

The wife made stuffing and potatoes and green bean casserole. The daughter brought dessert which was caramel apple crumble.

Cowboys come on in an hour. Fuck yeah.
What time do you eat at where you have to prep the turkey at 6 AM?

Dave

Staff member
What time do you eat at where you have to prep the turkey at 6 AM?
A 14 pound bird takes about 3.5-4 hours at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

I had to take out the neck & giblets and then pat it dry with paper towels, rub it down with canoil, then rub in salt, pepper, and herbs.

Turkeys take a long time to bake properly. Low and slow is the recommended way.
Now I disagree. I spatchcock the turkey and it only takes 1 1/2 hours for it to come out juicy and perfect. No basting, no fuss.

On the other hand, since I'm the only one cooking for 9 people and 3 dogs, this is the first chance I've had to sit and relax since this morning. Besides appetizers, I made the usual turkey, parsnip and leek bread pudding, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, roasted cauliflower with dates and pine nuts. MiL brought salad and wine, a few people brought dessert, and now I am very, very tired. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Ever since @Celt Z first mentioned spatchcocking on this forum, it's been my husband's favorite part of Thanksgiving. I don't think he got to play enough Mortal Kombat as a child.

Ever since @Celt Z first mentioned spatchcocking on this forum, it's been my husband's favorite part of Thanksgiving. I don't think he got to play enough Mortal Kombat as a child.
:rofl:

Every year when I cut out the spine, I hold it up and say "Fatality!". Please high-five him for me.

We always do Thanksgiving day itself with the extended family, then the next day with just the immediate family.
My mom's sweet potatoes fresh out of the oven = heaven. :sohappy: