Thank you note to my professor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wasabi Poptart

It's the end of the semester. I have loved my developmental psychology class. I was thinking about sending my professor a thank you note so he knows how much I enjoyed the course and having him as the instructor. I don't know if people actually do this or if it would be weird. It's not like he's giving me a letter of recommendation or anything along those lines. He was simply a great teacher. Should I go ahead and do it?

Yes! Just make sure it is well after he's reported grades so he doesn't get the impression you're trying to affect his judgment.

(needs image macro)
I'mma send a note.
Professors love notes.

I sent a thank-you note to my History prof, going so far as to tell him he may have inspired me to make it my major. I also prefaced the note with "Now that marks are in, and this will seem less obsequious..." but that's mostly my sense of humour. Also I like the word 'obsequious'.

Cajungal

Staff member
So many people only report the negative. I don't think we should ever hesitate to give positive feedback when it's due--and not just to teachers. I'm sure your professor will appreciate the kind words.

After the grades, indeed.

I don't know if you have a website like RateMyProf, but reviews tend to be very 2 sided there, the good and the bad.

It was life and death for me in University, you'd sign up for a class, then a few days later find out the professor and find out they are either terrible or good.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I hadn't thought about after the grades mostly because I am getting an A in the course as it is. How much more influence could I have on him? I've been nice to you. Give me those extra 20 points for my perfect score, pleeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!! lol
I hadn't thought about writing to the department head either. I think it is an excellent idea and I will do that once the grades are in.

Thanks everyone!

Necronic

Staff member
I'm definitely doing this as well for my stats professor. Really enjoyed his class, also he liked showing comic strips in class to get his point across so I plan on sending him some XKCD episodes.

But yeah wait till after the grades. Only thing I'm waiting on. I seriously doubt that it would have an influence (hope not) but its simply an impression you don't want to give.

Dave

Staff member
Do it. They need to know when they have a positive effect. God knows they hear about the negative.

I hadn't thought about after the grades mostly because I am getting an A in the course as it is. How much more influence could I have on him? I've been nice to you. Give me those extra 20 points for my perfect score, pleeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!! lol
I hadn't thought about writing to the department head either. I think it is an excellent idea and I will do that once the grades are in.

Thanks everyone!
it's not about affecting the score, it's about sending the appearance that your scores may have been influenced.

Perception is everything.

fade

Staff member
I like them. I get a few every semester from my big classes. They definitely give me that push to keep teaching those otherwise soul-draining freshman lecture hall courses.
Added at: 15:22
Just be sure you rank him/her highly on his/her evaluations if you can. Universities really do put a lot of stock in those.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I like them. I get a few every semester from my big classes. They definitely give me that push to keep teaching those otherwise soul-draining freshman lecture hall courses.
Added at: 15:22
Just be sure you rank him/her highly on his/her evaluations if you can. Universities really do put a lot of stock in those.
Thanks Fade! I did give him high marks on the evaluation and added positive comments about his performance at the end of it. I sent the note out to him last week. He emailed me to tell me how much he appreciated it. :)

I've never even considered if it was bad form or not to send thank you notes. I've sent them to any professor who's class I really enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.