1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Tech minor victory thread

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DarkAudit, Nov 15, 2015.

1. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    To be fair, that might just be due to disk caching. Modern OSes sure do like to cache their disk reads.

--Patrick

2. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:

As much as I love the Vive, I honestly would recommend anyone looking to get into it to wait for second gen anyway.

3. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Phone rings:

Me: "Yah."

Salesweasel: "Is marketron down?"

Me: (checks) "Nope."

Salesweasel: "Then why can't I get in to it?"

Me: (without thinking) "User error."

Salesweasel: "... oh. You're right, I just saw what I was doing wrong. It's working now."

And that was my natural 20 roll for the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! x 1
  4. PatrThom

Books:
    Bluff check: Successful.

--Patrick

• Like Like x 2
  5. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Oh, it wasn't a bluff, it was a failed diplomacy check covered by a critical charisma check :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
  7. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
  8. PatrThom

Books:
  9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Back to Back Champion

Books:
    I wish I'd found out about university surplus stores long before the last week ever of our business, but I found a stack of Optiplex 790s for $50 each. Way better than the Vista-era Lenovo Core 2s the front desk is using now. Something to keep in mind in case a miraculous comeback happens.

10. DarkAudit

Books:
    Had 2 old iPads, one a wifi only, the other on AT&T. Deleted the AT&T one from that account (and switched to a cheaper plan), got the okay from mom to ditch them (we'd tried to see if she could use them when the PCs were no longer an option. Didn't really work out.) Sold them for $80 via the eco ATM. Got a 1TB HDD and a displayport to HDMI adapter.

So now this $50 Optiplex is hooked up to the 43" TV and the SA-600 receiver and the great big Technics speakers in the living room. The Windows 10 creators update is installing on it now. Next step will be a new low profile video card and a bigger power supply..

11. PatrThom

Books:
    Can get a 1050 Ti LP to fill that role.

--Patrick

12. DarkAudit

Books:
    Not really. There's only two slots available, and the 710 or 730 would leave room for a wifi card in case I struggle getting the ethernet working during the hackintosh project.

13. PatrThom

Books:
    Plus the 1050 is not natively supported in macOS. I assumed you were skipping the project since you were installing WinX.

--Patrick

14. DarkAudit

Books:
    I was installing Win 10 so I could update the BIOS and have at least something running. The video card and PSU have to wait for payday

15. PatrThom

Books:
    Seems that HH GT730's can be had for $70.

--Patrick

16. DarkAudit

Books:
    I cheated a bit this morning. Found this site, installed VMWare Player, and did their Sierra install instructions. Running as a 4-core and just 4GB RAM, but it's working and it has sound. Posting this from Safari in the virtual Mac. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. DarkAudit

Books:
    I woke up this morning all ready to order the video card and power supply for the Optiplex 790. Until I started reading reviews on the power supply. How it wouldn't fit the case, and how the fan had only one speed, full blast and LOUD.

So another check of the Pitt surplus store showed some other candidates that were more compatible out of the box. I found an Optiplex 7010 with an i7-3770 CPU and intel HD 4000 graphics. It came with a Radeon card that had a broken fan, but no matter. The HD 4000 is supported natively in Sierra.

I stopped to pick up a 2TB HDD at Best Buy on the way home, and set to work. Or not. Short version, the PSU in the 7010 was dead. Fortunately, the PSU in the 790 is identical. A quick swap, and I was back in business. Updated the BIOS and prepared my install stick per Tonymacx86. Time to hackintosh!

Install was a breeze. Nothing hung up to interrupt the process. The system boots from the HDD just fine. The only glitch was the sound. The ALC269 codec is a bear to get configured for novices. So much of the jargon on the mackintosh sites was way over my head. I found a video tutorial that got me familiar with kexts, but still no sound. Finally I got pointed to the VoodooHDA package that fixed the sound. I have a full working Hackintosh. I haven't tried out iMessage yet. That's the next big trick to get working.

When I think about it, even though my i5-2500K is overclocked to 4.6Ghz, I think this system with the i7 is the better box. Sandy bridge vs Ivy bridge and all that.

So I'm posting this from a native mackintosh. No more VMware box. :D

• Like Like x 3
  18. DarkAudit

Books:
    This whole setup I'm using is repurposed. The surplus dell with keyboard and mouse from another spare pc, hooked up to the late 1970s era stereo and speakers. And the living room TV. Only thing bought new is the HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. DarkAudit

Books:
    A big issue with hackintoshes is updating the system after Apple releases a software update to the App Store. Sierra updated to 10.12.6 yesterday. After checking tonymacx86, I updated mine. No noticeable problems. Everything seems to be working fine. Even iMessage.

• Like Like x 1