Tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

His point is that it stays relatively constant. It does not jump to 102 degrees and require you to drink a gallon of ice water to drop it down to 98, unless you're a lizard.
A good point, but it doesn't negate the fact that drinking ice water will help you cool down faster, even if you could cool down drinking tepid water as well.[/QUOTE]

NO IT WON'T! If you jump into an ice water bath it would. Don't make me bust out the Ph.D. card!

.... so you FEEL cooler but you are NOT cooler. Yes. So it's psychological.
No because it isn't in your mind. Your temperature does not fluctuate, but you do feel cooler. Like when you hold ice in your mouth. Your mouth does get cold. So will your stomach if you drink something cold and the cooler blood does circulate through your body. It's not enough to make a major effect on your core temperature, but it does help you feel cooler. If I drink hot coffee on a cold day and put my hand over my stomach, it feels warmer than, say, my legs. Drinking something hot may not save me from hypothermia, but it does take the chill off in a normal situation.[/QUOTE]

No dude... the effect lasts for seconds, literally. your body is DESIGNED to dissipate all that excess heat or cold. If you hold ice in your mouth and leave it there it will make your mouth cold, yes.. but how long does it take for it to warm back up? Seconds. And, again, that's an extreme case because your mouth is only the first step. Nothing, ever, will last cold so long in your stomach.

And your stomach will ALWAYS feel warmer than your legs, come on! Now, if you drink something ICE COLD will your stomach feel colder than your legs. No. Never. EVER.

C

Chazwozel

No because it isn't in your mind. Your temperature does not fluctuate, but you do feel cooler. Like when you hold ice in your mouth. Your mouth does get cold. So will your stomach if you drink something cold and the cooler blood does circulate through your body. It's not enough to make a major effect on your core temperature, but it does help you feel cooler. If I drink hot coffee on a cold day and put my hand over my stomach, it feels warmer than, say, my legs. Drinking something hot may not save me from hypothermia, but it does take the chill off in a normal situation.[/QUOTE]

No dude... the effect lasts for seconds, literally. your body is DESIGNED to dissipate all that excess heat or cold. If you hold ice in your mouth and leave it there it will make your mouth cold, yes.. but how long does it take for it to warm back up? Seconds. And, again, that's an extreme case because your mouth is only the first step. Nothing, ever, will last cold so long in your stomach.

And your stomach will ALWAYS feel warmer than your legs, come on! Now, if you drink something ICE COLD will your stomach feel colder than your legs. No. Never. EVER.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Because your stomach won't take the cold and keep it.. it will dissipate it. No matter what. Cause that's what one of the things it's designed for. The difference would be so infinitesimal that we'd be better going back to the realm of atoms.

W

Wasabi Poptart

And your stomach will ALWAYS feel warmer than your legs, come on! Now, if you drink something ICE COLD will your stomach feel colder than your legs. No. Never. EVER.[/QUOTE]

I must be odd because my legs, except my feet, are usually as warm as the rest of my body. But at any rate, I think we're getting to the point of arguing semantics. The major point we do agree on: drinking something hot or cold does not change your core temperature.

M

makare

when i drink ice water my stomach gets so cold that i can feel it when i touch my belly. You are making me out to be some kind of mutant freak and i resent it calleja... PISTOLS AT DAWN!

figmentPez

Staff member
Because your stomach won't take the cold and keep it.. it will dissipate it. No matter what. Cause that's what one of the things it's designed for. The difference would be so infinitesimal that we'd be better going back to the realm of atoms.
Yes, that's my exact point! It dissapates to the rest of the body (or rather, absorbs heat from the rest of the body). Two guys overheat working in the sun. Their core temperature has risen above normal because they couldn't sweat enough to cool off both the heat of the day and the heat of exertion. To cool off one drinks ice water from a thermos, the other drinks from a water bottle that's been sitting out uninsulated. You're telling me that both will cool off at the same rate, despite the extra heat energy absorbed by the ice cold water?

C

Chazwozel

It'll warm it up to body temperature actually. And even though water has a really high heat capacity, the amount of water in a glass compared to the amount of heat your body gives off is negligible. When something is cold it's endothermic, that is it's drawing heat away from the environment into itself. Due to the laws of thermodynamics, it does this until equilibrium is reached. So no, a glass of cold water won't cool you down faster than tepid water. The whole reason you get thirsty when your hot to begin with is due to water loss while your body tries to cool itself down, not because it wants ice cold water to literally cool it off.

It'll warm it up to body temperature by dissipating it through the blood vessels in your stomach, is what I meant. Again, semantics, but it's not like your stomach warms up extra when you take something extra cold to warm it up, y'know?

C

Chazwozel

Yes, that's my exact point! It dissapates to the rest of the body (or rather, absorbs heat from the rest of the body). Two guys overheat working in the sun. Their core temperature has risen above normal because they couldn't sweat enough to cool off both the heat of the day and the heat of exertion. To cool off one drinks ice water from a thermos, the other drinks from a water bottle that's been sitting out uninsulated. You're telling me that both will cool off at the same rate, despite the extra heat energy absorbed by the ice cold water?[/QUOTE]

The extra heat energy absorbed by the ice cold water is negligible to the amount of cooling both glasses of water do when that water is used in sweat. The dramatic temperature difference, however, causes the ice water to feel more 'refreshing' and makes you feel cooler as the ice water absorbs the heat in your stomach. If you said one jumps into a vat of ice water and the other into a room temp bath, I'd agree that the ice water bath cools the guy down faster. But in terms of a glass or two of water, I'd say nah.

It's like how cool or room temperatue water will defrost (not cook, just thaw) meat better than hot water will. With cool water, if I recall correctly, the frozen meat attains the temperature of the water from core to surface; with hot water, the surface gets heated but the core remains frozen.

North_Ranger

Staff member
... wait, you sayin' there's more than one type of mayo? (Light mayo doesn't count, it's still gonna do a number on your diet)

figmentPez

Staff member
... wait, you sayin' there's more than one type of mayo? (Light mayo doesn't count, it's still gonna do a number on your diet)
Yes, making mayo with different oils can result in very different results. Soybean is different than canola. Then you get into homemade vs store bought. Flavored mayos that are made partly with oils like seasame, walnut or bacon grease.... and I'm sure it gets more complicated from there.

Horseradish! You people are spreading all over the place - surely we can have an intelligent discussion without saturating the thread with heat?

I started reading and I was like 'I feel ya, man', but then I realized: 'it's coming, isn't it', and finally 'Hah! Sonovabitch! Damn you and your English philology!'

Status
Not open for further replies.