[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Alright, since I was able to sleep through the night, a question about The Boys-
Did season 2 get a bigger budget? Because it felt much more gory than season 1. I mean, gory for shock value at times. And I was familiar enough with the comic, though I haven't read it, and Garth Ennis, to know it would go to dark places, but ...geez.

Although the 3 supe-ladies kicking Nazi ass was pretty cathartic. I'm still having issues that Kimiko is Glimmer from She-Ra. Thank goodness she doesn't talk.

Alright, since I was able to sleep through the night, a question about The Boys-
Did season 2 get a bigger budget? Because it felt much more gory than season 1. I mean, gory for shock value at times. And I was familiar enough with the comic, though I haven't read it, and Garth Ennis, to know it would go to dark places, but ...geez.

Although the 3 supe-ladies kicking Nazi ass was pretty cathartic. I'm still having issues that Kimiko is Glimmer from She-Ra. Thank goodness she doesn't talk.
" In light of that, the studio is doubling down on the series by expanding the show's budget and cast for its upcoming second season. "

The worst part is it's creating self fulfilling prophecy. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a casual interest in catching a Netflix show but don't want to invest the time into something that's going to get pulled after 2 seasons with an incomplete story. This leads to low initial viewing numbers which then leads them to canceling early. And the cycle continues.

And, as the article mentioned, Schitt's Creek is a great example of show that needed at least the first two seasons to hit it's stride. I really nearly gave up after the first but there was something there, something egging me to keep watching , if it had just ended unceremoniously after 2 we never would have got what it finally blossomed into. And look where that ended up, even just awards wise.

I get that at some point, if it's just not clicking or meshing that it's a lot of faith, and money and time, to just continue based on the hope that it will one day but it always makes me wonder what might have been. Especially in the cases where the shows had definitive endings set but weren't allowed to reach them.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Cheers was #74 out of 77 during its first season. Everyone wanted it cancelled except Brandon Tartikoff. He kept it afloat and then it took off.

Sometimes you just gotta let things run a bit.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just finished Season 2 of The Boys myself, tonight.

I think my only real disappointment in it is how much of the plot was driven by stupidity. X happened because Y did a dumb thing, and also because if X didn't happen, the plot wouldn't move along.

Also, while I remember finishing Season 1 and thinking "holy shit!" this time it was more a feeling of "aw, fuck."

But hey, I hear Jenson Ackles is going to be in season 3...

I just finished Season 2 of The Boys myself, tonight.

I think my only real disappointment in it is how much of the plot was driven by stupidity. X happened because Y did a dumb thing, and also because if X didn't happen, the plot wouldn't move along.

Also, while I remember finishing Season 1 and thinking "holy shit!" this time it was more a feeling of "aw, fuck."

But hey, I hear Jenson Ackles is going to be in season 3...
And if he's playing Soldier Boy he's gonna get "ah fuck"ed!

The Dexter finale was the worst hour of dramatic TV I've ever watched. None of the spoilers were right, they would have been hilarious. This finale was a nonsensical cowardly mess. It was so terrible, it made every previous episode of Dexter, right back to the beginning, complete trash by association. If you can watch the finale of Dexter and still call yourself a fan of the show, you objectively have bad taste and should probably have your kids taken away.

It was the worst finale to an hourly dramatic series ever. I fucking dare someone to find worse.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the equivalent of having your eyes pried open Clockwork Orange style and being forced to watch unending Kardashian shows and 10 being the tv equivalent of representations (of your sex or gender of choice) of All Good Things (the Star Trek TNG finale) and The Shield finale doing all the filthy things you've ever wanted to you, the last episode of Dexter gets negative 129 quadrillion. I swear to God there is no hyperbole in this last sentence.

Seriously, you know what's even worse than the lazy God awful writing, acting and everything else? They couldn't even keep details from the previous 2 episodes straight. 2 episodes before this, Dexter's son (the worst child actor to ever live) had stitches on his chin in one of the silliest scenes ever filmed (there's a gif of it 1 or 2 pages back in this thread, it's hilarious). In the previous episode and in the finale, they didn't even fucking bother to put a bandage on his chin. He Wolverine healed. I'm kidding, this isn't actually worse than how bad the finale was.

I went and found the gif for you. It's still hilarious.

Holy fuck, the finale has defender.

I'd have an easier time empathizing with a pedophile than understanding these people.

COHESIVE?

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT WORD MEANS!

cue Inigo Montoya gif
I'm glad Dexter existed. I watched season 2 and enjoyed it but never really watched more. And now I'm getting these entertaining posts from frank. I hope they decide to tack on another season.
At long last, my wish has been granted.

Jesus, that was quite the rant.

Also, ha ha ha ha, no. Not ever. I won't watch that and no one with more than half a functioning brain will either.

I am thinking of getting Disney+, is Hulu and ESPN worth getting for the extra $6?
We use all 3 on a near-daily basis in our house, but YMMV. If you're thinking of cutting the cord, Hulu's pretty good for keeping up with network shows and ESPN seems to have a lot of past content as well. (Li'l Z likes to watch old F1 and Indy car races every chance we will let him.)

I find Disney to be kinda meh. Hulu is pretty rocking IMHO.
I'll echo this, with the cavet that The Mandalorian starts back up in a week or two and it'll have Soul, the new release from Pixar, on the service come Christmas.

Disney+'s biggest issue is that it doesn't have recent shows on it's service. If they started uploading new episodes of Ducktales, Miraculous, Owlhouse, etc... the day they hit Disney/Disney XD? It'd be more than worth the price.

Dave

Staff member
The joke at the end of the second one was funny and poked fun at the "very special episode" of the original. Other than that....meh.