[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

This lawsuit against the Duffer brothers for Stranger Things is bullshit. Stranger Things isn't derivative of one person's unique idea (which was a vague "what if there was a town where lots of spooky things happened?"). It's derivative of lots of people's general ideas. That's what gives it that Classic feel.

This lawsuit against the Duffer brothers for Stranger Things is bullshit. Stranger Things isn't derivative of one person's unique idea (which was a vague "what if there was a town where lots of spooky things happened?"). It's derivative of lots of people's general ideas. That's what gives it that Classic feel.
There are like six Stephen King stories based around that exact premise. SyFy had a series called Haven which was basically that concept.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Tick season 2.

This is damn good television. I don't have the energy right now to do it justice. The humor is amazing, the commentary both on comics and the real world is fantastic, the acting is delightful, and I'm just having a ball.

I'm kinda curious about one thing. In s02e05 one of the heroes greets another with "You magnificent bastard, I read your book!" which is a reference to the movie Patton, but that clip is frequently used by the comic book review series Atop the Fourth Wall. I'm kinda wondering if one of the writers for The Tick is a fan of Linkara. An out of nowhere Patton reference doesn't make a lot of sense in The Tick, but a reference to AT4W does.

Okay, if you are not watching What We Do in the Shadows: The Series, you are seriously missing out. Last night had perhaps the greatest collection of guest appearances I've ever watched on a TV show.

The series continues in the vein of the movie but with a household of Staten Island vampires instead of ones from NZ. I can't recommend it enough.

Dead To Me - Netflix
It has some really dark LOL moments with serious emotional scenes. Probably Applegate's best acting I've seen. Linda Cardelini is pretty great too. It's definitely a more in the Comedy camp than Drama.

Okay, if you are not watching What We Do in the Shadows: The Series, you are seriously missing out. Last night had perhaps the greatest collection of guest appearances I've ever watched on a TV show.

The series continues in the vein of the movie but with a household of Staten Island vampires instead of ones from NZ. I can't recommend it enough.
Yup, just watched the newest episode and it was marvelous.

Matt Berry continues to be one of the funniest people put on this Earth.

Warrior

A Cinemax series based on the tv show Bruce Lee once wanted to make. It's a kung fu western, basically. It also owns bones. If you like kung fu, watch it. If you like historical dramas/westerns, watch it.

Dave

Staff member
The Tick season 2.

This is damn good television. I don't have the energy right now to do it justice. The humor is amazing, the commentary both on comics and the real world is fantastic, the acting is delightful, and I'm just having a ball.

I'm kinda curious about one thing. In s02e05 one of the heroes greets another with "You magnificent bastard, I read your book!" which is a reference to the movie Patton, but that clip is frequently used by the comic book review series Atop the Fourth Wall. I'm kinda wondering if one of the writers for The Tick is a fan of Linkara. An out of nowhere Patton reference doesn't make a lot of sense in The Tick, but a reference to AT4W does.
Guess what just got cancelled?

https://www.newsweek.com/tick-creat...ries-be-next-expanse-or-brooklyn-nine-1428465

figmentPez

Staff member
Not about a show I watched, but I saw this headline about The Big Bang Theory, and my spidey-sense went off: TBBT Showrunners Say They ‘Honored’ Penny By Making Her Pregnant

"Penny, who had expressed many times throughout the show’s run that she didn’t want children, became pregnant, a development she was very happy about."
"...it felt important to us to honor that relationship, I love them together and I wanted to know that they were ending in a happy place."

Yes, "honor" the characters by having completely out-of-character behavior, without even an attempt to justify it. I knew TBBT was bad, and that's why I've never followed it, but I didn't expect it to be this blatantly terrible.

Also, what a fucked up message to be sending out at the same time as women's reproductive rights are under attack. But it's not like they could have planned to tie in the banning of abortion, could they? Oh well, that's a discussion for the Politics sub-forum.

Not about a show I watched, but I saw this headline about The Big Bang Theory, and my spidey-sense went off: TBBT Showrunners Say They ‘Honored’ Penny By Making Her Pregnant

"Penny, who had expressed many times throughout the show’s run that she didn’t want children, became pregnant, a development she was very happy about."
"...it felt important to us to honor that relationship, I love them together and I wanted to know that they were ending in a happy place."

Yes, "honor" the characters by having completely out-of-character behavior, without even an attempt to justify it. I knew TBBT was bad, and that's why I've never followed it, but I didn't expect it to be this blatantly terrible.

Also, what a fucked up message to be sending out at the same time as women's reproductive rights are under attack. But it's not like they could have planned to tie in the banning of abortion, could they? Oh well, that's a discussion for the Politics sub-forum.
A show that has shitted on women since the pilot continues to do so all the way through in the finale? At least you can say it's been consistent.