[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I'm so bummed about One Day at a Time being cancelled. I tend not to like sitcoms anymore, but the live studio audience and the cultural differences made it a breath of fresh air. Netflix keeps cancelling the shows I like.

Ha! This Amazon xbox lady is the most well rounded person on the show,. That wheelchair woman is such a bitch!
They're a couple now? How are any of these people able to afford the basic nessessities of life? WTF Walowitz is the GM? Is this some BBT spin off? Still better than Young Sheldon.

They're a couple now? How are any of these people able to afford the basic nessessities of life? WTF Walowitz is the GM? Is this some BBT spin off? Still better than Young Sheldon.
No, it's just that Simon Helberg is good friends with Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton, so he did a spot on The Guild for fun. He also did Dr. Horrible with Felicia Day as Moist.

From what the trailer shows, I love that they're not splitting the kids up this time, and that Eleven and Max are getting to bond. I hate when they do the trope that if there's more than 1 girl in a group, they have to see each other as competition.

Dave

Staff member
It's a trope because it's largely true. In almost every group I've ever been in where there was only two women they invariably hated each other.

edit: When there was more than two everything was fine. Just two is a terrible number to have in a group.

It's a trope because it's largely true. In almost every group I've ever been in where there was only two women they invariably hated each other.

edit: When there was more than two everything was fine. Just two is a terrible number to have in a group.
@bhamv3 This is mansplaining :p

I just finished season 3 of Stan Against Evil, and it makes me sad that it's over. The style is clearly based on shows from before my time, but goddamned if it didn't make me laugh out loud at least once every single episode.

This one ruined me:

Dave

Staff member
Stan Against Evil? Never heard of it. But wait! Who's that as the lead?!? John C. McGinley?!? Yes, please!

You and I must hang out in very different groups, then. Usually it was not a problem for me.

It's why there are three people in the Blue Man Group shows. With two, you pick sides. With three, there's enough dynamic that the same person doesn't end up being "the other one" all the time.

--Patrick

I don't want to be the guy that says patriarchy, but... Patriarchy. It's a form of misogynism that some women internalize, where women are expected to compete with each other.
There's a lot of truth in this. So much of women's "value" is tied up in how they look, or how attractive they look to men, specifically. I have know girls many times in my life that if they weren't automatically the center of guys' dirty jokes or catcalls, they'd just be besides themselves, even though it really didn't matter. I have an ex-friend who I was close to in a co-ed group (we weren't the only girls), and sometime around her junior/senior year, she would literally complain if our friends weren't sexualizing her. And these were people she had been friends with for 4-5 years or longer. Somehow their liking what she had to say and who she was wasn't enough.

Now, I say I'm tired of that trope because while it can happen, more times then not we, especially one-on-one, tend to bond. But encouraging that stereotype that we need to be "top girl" rather than a friend needs to go.

Supergirl - Weird as it is to day, I like Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor so far. I thought he was just going to come off as Evil Duckie. He seems like a blend of some of the cinematic Luthors we've seen in the past. Maybe all those years near Charlie Sheen gave him inspiration?

Supergirl - Weird as it is to day, I like Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor so far. I thought he was just going to come off as Evil Duckie. He seems like a blend of some of the cinematic Luthors we've seen in the past. Maybe all those years near Charlie Sheen gave him inspiration?
To be technical, Jon Cryer is actually a cinematic Luthor.