[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Rick & Morty

All right, I'm totally hooked on this show, now. A friend of mine has been bugging me and bugging me and bugging me to watch it, so I finally relented.

It's hilarious. And occasionally brilliant. One person described the show as "a never-ending fart joke wrapped around a studied look into nihilism." And that's pretty spot on. There are some childish fart jokes in there, but they're done along with dedicating a whole episode to Cronenberg, or where time is split in two and there are two sets of the same characters acting just SLIGHTLY different (with appropriately overlapping dialogue).

I've already blown through the first season and started the second.
Just stay away from the fandom. For your own sake, stay far, far away from the fandom. Toxic can't even begin to describe it. It made me ashamed to watch the show. :(

That death episode of Adam Ruin's Everything...that fucked me up...it fucked me up real bad...I'm scared.
Well, if it helps, once you're dead you don't have to worry about what happens afterwards, and you'll have no say in it anyway, so don't worry about it. The Morrigan has already cast your fate, and when she comes to collect you, there's nothing to do but go with her.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
If it's possible to like and hate something at the same time, for me it's Adam Ruins Everything. And VSauce. The info's good, but the smugness is high. Some pop science presenters greet you with this excitement of a fellow voyager, but these two seem to look down their noses at you about the thing they just googled.

Let's Get Physical

Matt Jones (Badger from Breaking Bad) as a former aerobics / fitness competitor who lost a big competition to his archnemesis when they were teenagers. His girlfriend dumped him and his father kicked him out, so he went on the road with his band, "Guns Von Jovi", doing covers of popular 80s and 90s rock songs. 20 years later, his dad dies, and stipulates a ridiculous caveat to his will - that his son's $8 million prospective inheritance will go to the winner of the next annual competition. Hilarity ensues.

The truth is, it's pretty fucking funny. Unlike most loser characters, who can't get over the big loss, he's pretty much put it behind him and doesn't really want to get dragged back in until circumstances piss him off enough to pick up the gauntlet. His high school girlfriend, who married his archnemesis, is gorgeous but has some serious issues. There's a real sense of "dodged a bullet" rather than "missed out". There's a strong vibe of "Dodgeball: The Series" except it's about aerobics, rather than dodgeball.

Also? Jane Seymour, who plays his mother, is still really hot.

Let's Get Physical

Matt Jones (Badger from Breaking Bad) as a former aerobics / fitness competitor who lost a big competition to his archnemesis when they were teenagers. His girlfriend dumped him and his father kicked him out, so he went on the road with his band, "Guns Von Jovi", doing covers of popular 80s and 90s rock songs. 20 years later, his dad dies, and stipulates a ridiculous caveat to his will - that his son's $8 million prospective inheritance will go to the winner of the next annual competition. Hilarity ensues.

The truth is, it's pretty fucking funny. Unlike most loser characters, who can't get over the big loss, he's pretty much put it behind him and doesn't really want to get dragged back in until circumstances piss him off enough to pick up the gauntlet. His high school girlfriend, who married his archnemesis, is gorgeous but has some serious issues. There's a real sense of "dodged a bullet" rather than "missed out". There's a strong vibe of "Dodgeball: The Series" except it's about aerobics, rather than dodgeball.

Also? Jane Seymour, who plays his mother, is still really hot.
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story is highly underrated. You may have just sold me on this.

Dave, and other fellow oldies would hopefully appreciate this.

Re-Watching WKRP with the version that has the good tv recordings.

It was funny then when I could catch it as a youngun, It's funny now.

Also Bailey >>> Jennifer.

"I'mmmmm at WKRP innnn Cincinnaaati"

Superstore can be funny, but its also like "Who gives a shit" sometimes. OOOOOOOOOOOOOH, Jonah's girlfriend believes in angels-I don't care. People have had religion for thousands of years, its not a fucking big deal you poor man's JD from Scrubs!

Black Lighting first episode was really good. I'm kinda glad it won't be connected to the other CW superhero shows because it feels like it's aiming a little higher, much as I enjoy The Flash and Supergirl.

Is it the version with the restored music? They would instantly have my money if they were able to do a re-release that restored all of the original music.

Is it the version with the restored music? They would instantly have my money if they were able to do a re-release that restored all of the original music.
Well, the 'Official' recordings some company was selling, last I heard were around 90% original music. And they're probably better visually, but $$$$

Then, there's always ARRRGGGG, Matey's. because old TV, seems to be a PITA to try and do legitimately.

old TV, seems to be a PITA to try and do legitimately.
You can thank the stupid copyright laws for the majority of that. And I’m not saying that copyright laws themselves are stupid per se, I’m just saying the reason we can’t have old TV shows is because of the stupid ones. In 20 years, we’re probably going to see the same thing happen again with shows like Glee.

—Patrick

Saw an ep of Smallville-because I'm about to sleep and love Superman and ...uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, was Tom Welling auditioning for Super-MAN in this? Because he does not like a High School Freshman...AT ALL! Show looks all right for a Superboy story, but that's weird. I'm also going into this knowing I'll have a MAJOR problem with it in that it'll take him TEN stinking seasons to don the suit.

You can thank the stupid copyright laws for the majority of that. And I’m not saying that copyright laws themselves are stupid per se, I’m just saying the reason we can’t have old TV shows is because of the stupid ones. In 20 years, we’re probably going to see the same thing happen again with shows like Glee.

—Patrick
It's not copyright, it's licensing.

It's not copyright, it's licensing.

Right, but you have to license it because it’s copyrighted. But can we have a simple license system like, “can I use this song yes ok go ahead?” No. We have to have a license for performance, and a different license for public performance, and a license to include it in other works, and a license to create derivative works, and any of these licenses could expire or be non-transferable. Oh, and the music and the lyrics have to be licensed separately because they are two different things and then we need to talk about how the royalties will be sliced SOOOO MUCH STUPID.

—Patrick

Right, but you have to license it because it’s copyrighted. But can we have a simple license system like, “can I use this song yes ok go ahead?” No. We have to have a license for performance, and a different license for public performance, and a license to include it in other works, and a license to create derivative works, and any of these licenses could expire or be non-transferable. Oh, and the music and the lyrics have to be licensed separately because they are two different things and then we need to talk about how the royalties will be sliced SOOOO MUCH STUPID.

—Patrick
Yeah, licensing is a huge nightmare. I've looked into licensing music for just some hobbyist video projects and :Leyla:. It's easier (and much cheaper) to just throw something together in GarageBand with the pre-made loops.

IIRC, there was also a problem with some of the rights holders refusing to relicense their music for WKRP in syndication/home video. I think Pink Floyd was one of them, which is sad because in the turkey episode there was an entire scene built around Dogs. They did a decent job hacking a new scene together with different music, but it's still not as funny as the original. :(

Apparently music rights is also holding up a digital/streaming release of Northern Exposure. *sigh*

I started rewatching the Re-Imagined Battlestar Galactica. Three episodes in and I found one I have not seen yet. But it was midnight and I fell asleep... So Amazon Prime (was she an Autobot?) has started to pay off.

It just reminds me that my best friend would not watch the new one because Starbuck is a girl...

Look at what just fell off the truck.

Dave

Staff member
Bojack Horseman. I know, I know. Everyone has said for years it's a great show but I never watched it because it's a cartoon of a horse and it shows exclusively on Netflix. I have nothing against either of them, but I made the mistake early of looking at fanboy stuff before I gave it a chance...and fanboys ruin everything.

But I gave it a shot a week or so ago, and it's amazing as you guys already know. I'm on the fourth season now and I'm amazed at how good and how deep it is.