[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Twas after New Years, and I twas drunk...that is the only reason to see more than one episode of Bordertown. I mean there's failing the Bechdel test, and then there's THAT, and there were FOUR recurring female characters!

So thanks a lot @evilmike because of you talking it up and recommending it to @Yoshimickster I just got done with Person of Interest, now I’m sad because there’s no more.

What a fantastic show! Probably the best super hero show of the 21st century.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is certainly one of my favorite shows.

And, yeah, I wish there was more, but I'm glad they got to go out on their own terms (and I still marvel on how this show survived for 5 seasons on CBS.)

Out of curiosity, @Yoshimickster , have you made any progress with the series?

AND-I'm back at "Person of Interest" so good, and its toss-up on whether Reese or Finch is the better Batman because HOLY CRAP! Seriously, how has Jim Caviezel NEVER been Batman?! That needs to happen, that needs to fucking happen.

AND-I'm back at "Person of Interest" so good, and its toss-up on whether Reese or Finch is the better Batman because HOLY CRAP! Seriously, how has Jim Caviezel NEVER been Batman?! That needs to happen, that needs to fucking happen.
Right?!

Have you met Catwoman yet?

So, after being harangued about it, I've given more episodes of The Orville a chance.

I can't do this show.

1) They're just recycling TOS and TNG stories, almost literally whole. I'm a God damn Star Trek nerd and have been watching it my whole life. I can't separate that part. All I see in Orville is, oh this is like The Menagerie, oh, this is exactly like that TOS episode where they have to try to save that civilization inside the asteroid that doesn't know it's inside the asteroid from dying.

2) Seth MacFarlane sucks and I hate him onscreen. Anyone would have been better in his role.

3) The crass humour is always tacked on and feels out of place.

Probably why I'm digging Discovery. It's at least a little different.

I wouldn't mind the preachyness, if it weren't for the fact that it was just BARELY funny, as well as having a basic ass sitcom premise that's been done to DEATH.

Who would do it? Rev. Camden? Matt? do we change it each episode? Not going to lie, I'm intrigued by this concept.

Lucy?!
Well, I really was thinking of simply giving 7th Heaven a preachy black narrator.

So, the token black guy. Was there even a token black guy?

Sergeant/Detective/Cpt/Chief Michaels?

There was Matt's roommate in one season who had a starring role, but that's about it. It was a white congregation.

I haven't laughed as hard at a TV show as I have at the Phillipe scenes in Jean Claude Van Johnson. It's worth two hours of your life to watch the show.

Phillipe is the greatest character in the history of television.

GasBandit

Staff member
I keep thinking I know the actress who plays Kelly in ash vs. evil dead, but IMDB tells me I haven't watched anything else she's been in.

Is she just that generic a trope?

No, definitely not. It's her voice more than anything, but I can't place it.
Well that explains it. I've seen her pictures, but never heard her voice (since I haven't seen the series yet). Lemme listen and...
Hm. Well all she reminds me of is Fran Drescher. The person she reminds you of is probably someone from the myriad of things you've seen but I haven't. Unless it's Amy Poehler.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well that explains it. I've seen her pictures, but never heard her voice (since I haven't seen the series yet). Lemme listen and...
Hm. Well all she reminds me of is Fran Drescher. The person she reminds you of is probably someone from the myriad of things you've seen but I haven't. Unless it's Amy Poehler.

--Patrick
She's nowhere near as nasal as Fran Drescher. I can't put my finger on where I've heard her before, though. I want to say it was animated. Not that that narrows down my choices.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I was getting the same feeling, though I thought it was just me. And now that I've thought about it, I'm gonna say that in this scene, her voice reminds me most of the voice Tress MacNeille uses when she does people like the Simpsons' cat lady, or when Futurama's Mom yells at her kids.

--Patrick
I think I figured it out, she's half "Fun Shaundi" from Saints Row 4, and half "Anne Perkins" from Parks and Rec. Same accents, same voice crack patterns under stress, same vocal burns.

And she kinda looks like she might be sister to Diaz from Brooklyn 99.

Black Mirror, Season 4

Just binged 4 episodes in a row tonight to finish this off. And it's still a very good show. As a fan of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, I really appreciate the anthology style storytelling. They're like little mini-movies. And as a sci-fi nerd, I love seeing the exploration of technology that's just on the cusp of reality. Or tweaks things that already exist.

Of course, like Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, I find the quality is really hit and miss. When it hits, like last season's San Junipero (the absolutely best of Black Mirror to date)? It really hits. But then there are some real misfires. For example, this season's Archangel explores taking helicopter parenting to the extreme with an implant that lets you not only track your child's location or diet, but turns their eyes into a webcam. And some of the lengths it takes is particularly interesting, but it just didn't hit home for me. There were many missed opportunities in that. I find that with a lot of episodes, really. I love the idea, I enjoy most of the episode, but something about it just doesn't fully click as a whole. Usually it's working out the logistics of how this society operates. Or little tweaks that I think would've made the episode stronger (like Archangel's ending).

One minor disappointment was one episode - I won't say which one - felt like they were shooting for another San Junipero. And I was invested right until the big finish, when it went a little too crazy. I got what they were trying for, but it just didn't work for me. Which is a shame because I really liked the episode up until that. It wasn't the home run like San Junipero was.

There was also this REALLY intense post-apocalyptic style episode all in black and white. It had a surprisingly short running time for Black Mirror (38 minutes), but it worked. Really intense. I kind of wanted a little more information on that world and how it got there.

I don't think the show is as brilliantly smart as people say, but I don't think I'd say that about Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, either. They, too, had some brilliant episodes, but they had plenty of stinkers, too. But I'll never say no to clever sci-fi concepts, even if the execution falters at times.[DOUBLEPOST=1516088651,1516088107][/DOUBLEPOST]Ugh. Just saw this article and REALLY hope they're not hinting at a shared universe for Black Mirror. I hope they're just fun little Easter eggs, like Pixar movies throwing a fun little reference to another film.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/black-mirror/feature/a838584/black-mirror-easter-eggs-shared-universe/

Rick & Morty

All right, I'm totally hooked on this show, now. A friend of mine has been bugging me and bugging me and bugging me to watch it, so I finally relented.

It's hilarious. And occasionally brilliant. One person described the show as "a never-ending fart joke wrapped around a studied look into nihilism." And that's pretty spot on. There are some childish fart jokes in there, but they're done along with dedicating a whole episode to Cronenberg, or where time is split in two and there are two sets of the same characters acting just SLIGHTLY different (with appropriately overlapping dialogue).

I've already blown through the first season and started the second.