[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Saw a new episode of Family Guy. Now, people have mocked the show by saying that the cutaway gags throw away the plot. Well this episode didn't need cutaways to throw it off because the plot was just fucking awful! The sub-plot didn't so much have an ending as it just stopped, and the main plot was ripped out of a billion other bad sitcoms only LESS funny. Lesson learned, do not give McFarlane a second chance.
MacFarlane can be a really funny writer. He has written really funny stuff, and even Ted was really good. Family Guy doesn't require a lot of effort to make a ton of money, so it doesn't get a lot of effort.

I decided to check out the He-Man reboot they did for Cartoon Network a few years back. It's actually quite enjoyable. The character re-designs minimally changed the originals so every single character is recognizable to their original design. I also like that they give an origin for why Skeletor has the skull head.

I kinda like how they start the intro with the original speech from Adam and as soon as he gets to "fabulous powers", they go, "screw that shit... 'SPLOSIONS!!!!!"

I've only watched the intro storyline, but I'm liking it so far. I'll probably keep watching it.

So, I like the idea behind Diners, Drive-Thrus & Dives. It's a cool concept for a food show. Guy Fieri, however, is the world's biggest douche. He is unwatchably douchey.

I wish I had given Man vs. Food a shot before. I really dig the whole thing. I love trash, garbage pig-out food that's absolutely terrible for you. I wish I could only eat trash, garbage pig-out food that's terrible for you. The host is a lot more bearable too. The guy seems to genuinely enjoy all the food he gets to eat unlike Fieri, who is really, really easy to read when he doesn't like something but acts like he enjoys it.
As far as food shows, I love Bizarre Foods and No Reservations. I missed out on the final season of NR, though. Bourdain's just fun to watch; a laid-back dude who meets up with friends to try local food and liquor as he explores all these countries. Bizarre Foods is cool too, though the new America version isn't as interesting to me as the previous worldwide stuff (anything set in east Asia is a great episode).

Just finished season one of the Wire.
Took me a while to get into it. But the last 5 or 6 episodes got me hooked for sure. When shit hits the fan in this show, it does it in slow motion so you're not hit with one "Holy crap!" moment, but half a season of "oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap" moments. Intense, and I'm sure, from what everyone says, it only gets better.

The important thing to remember is when you started watching The Wire.

Because everything will change after that day.

fade

Staff member
I just saw some of the new Thundercats. I'm actually quite impressed. The characters have multiple dimensions, people don't always get along, and the endings aren't always neat and pretty, and the bad guys sometimes win. Those points alone make the show superior to quite a bit of high budget live action TV out there right now. Definitely watchable.

I just saw some of the new Thundercats. I'm actually quite impressed. The characters have multiple dimensions, people don't always get along, and the endings aren't always neat and pretty, and the bad guys sometimes win. Those points alone make the show superior to quite a bit of high budget live action TV out there right now. Definitely watchable.
Yep. Only we may not be getting a second season because the toys sold like shit. If we get one, it's going to be on Toonami and it's going to be MUCH shorter than Season 1 was.

I've been watching The Dick Van Dyke show lately. I'm continually surprised at how well it holds up (twin beds aside), and of course the cast is just wonderful.

There are quite a few shows that are older and still hold up well. Mary Tyler Moore and the spinoff Rhoda, The Monkeys, Monty Python (obviously), Maude, Addams Family, Bewitched, etc... There's a great backlog of TV out there for people who've never seen some of it.

My opinions about the latest Ninja Turtles episode can be said in the all-mighty words of Robot Chicken M. Night Shamylon- "WHAT A TWEEST!" Seriously, did not see that coming.

Watched the first few episodes of Ulitimate Spider-Man. I kinda dig it. Drake Bell does a good job of voicing Spider-Man. Not as good as Spectacular, but still good so far.

Watching Clone Wars. Does it get better from the first season? Because this schizophrenic mess is nearly unwatchable at times.

Watching Clone Wars. Does it get better from the first season? Because this schizophrenic mess is nearly unwatchable at times.
I tried to watch the 3D one and kind of lost interest after the first handful of episodes. I've heard it's a fantastic series but I dunno when it picks up.

The 2D series was far more schizophrenic than the 3D series. It was basically a bunch of vignettes.
I call it schizophrenic because it has more mature aspects to it (lots and lots of death, some unusually coarse language for a cartoon) but then has garbage like entire episodes devoted to the entirely for small children Jar Jar Binks accidently making stuff go boom and some writing so poor, I wouldn't have expected it in even 80's cartoons.

Yes it is all over the place. There are some real gems in there. Most of the good shows does not deal with the padawan star of the show.
Actually, the 4 part season finale for this year dealt entirely with her and was pretty great, if predictable. The show really finds it's grove starting with Season 3, though some of the Season 2 stuff is important to the overall arch of the show.

Unfortunately, Disney has just announced that the show will be ending with Season 6 and that it's no longer going to be airing on Cartoon Network. We all knew this was coming, as CN is the primary competitor for Disney XD and they did a similar move with their Marvel properties after that buy out. It'll probably be airing it's final season on Disney XD.

They are also pushing back the release of the Star Wars: Detours series till sometime after episode 7 is released because they feel it's "questionable to release a comedy series about pre-episode 7 material at this time".

Yeah, it's now slated for "unspecified consoles" and pushed to late 2014, so who knows what's going on there. I think Detours is pretty much shelved too, though that looked kind of stupid so no big loss there.

Yeah, it's now slated for "unspecified consoles" and pushed to late 2014, so who knows what's going on there. I think Detours is pretty much shelved too, though that looked kind of stupid so no big loss there.
Detours was the cast and creators of Robot Chicken doing their Star Wars stuff, but officially for Lucas Film and using CG instead of action figures. So no... from what I've seen it was actually pretty good. I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to make than an entire SERIES instead of just a yearly thing but it had all the same talents behind the ones we've seen.

Detours was the cast and creators of Robot Chicken doing their Star Wars stuff, but officially for Lucas Film and using CG instead of action figures. So no... from what I've seen it was actually pretty good. I don't understand who thought it was a good idea to make than an entire SERIES instead of just a yearly thing but it had all the same talents behind the ones we've seen.
I know who was behind it, and I haven't found Robot Chicken funny in a long time. I don't think Detours looked any good at all, personally, as it was just rehashing the Robot Chicken Star Wars schtick.