[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

The Americans: A really solid TV show. It makes me all nostalgic for good 80's music. There was a song played during the first action set piece that I knew as a kid, but I can't recall who preformed the song or its title.

It is a bit of a shame that Kerry Russel is playing a woman 10 years older than she is, cause they made her look a little too haggard during the scenes in the 80's but thank goodness for all the scenes set in the 60's...

Quality series, I recommend watching the live at Brixton show on Youtube it is AWESOME!

Okay so I watched an episode of Ultimate Spider-man... so many reasons to hat this show. The jokes were absolutely abhorrent even for kids show standards, the asides to the audience felt needlessly outdated, the anti-bullying message on the episode I watched was insanely forced...and he has a spider-cycle. A SPIDER-CYCLE?! WHAT?! WHAT?!! WHAT?!!!!!! Of all the asinine, forced, toy-commecials I've seen...well this isn't the worst- BUT ITS STILL IRKSOME! I. Do. Not. Like. This. SHOW!

the asides to the audience felt needlessly outdated, the anti-bullying message on the episode I watched was insanely forced
Please tell me there was an 80s style PSA at the end of the episode where some random kids are having bully problems, and Spider-man comes to offer sagely advice to the kids (and we viewers) about the dangers of bullying.

No but you could tell they desperately wanted to.

On the complete opposite spectrum I saw that Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes show. From the ep I saw, nothing too special but I still liked it. And yet that show is cancelled while Ultimate Spider-man lives. UGH!

Started House of Cards, see other thread, it's good stuff so far.

Really looking forward to tonight's How I Met Your Mother, "it's Robin Sparkles IV y'all!"

Started House of Cards, see other thread, it's good stuff so far.

Really looking forward to tonight's How I Met Your Mother, "it's Robin Sparkles IV y'all!"
With Geddy Lee from Rush! and lots of other people too. Like possibly even famous music artists even.

Fringe

So, I'm early into the fifth and final season. I really dug the flash forward episode last season, but...I don't know, I'm not digging it as a full season arc. It's still enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but there's something about it that just feels forced. I'll put the rest behind a spoiler cut.

Basically, I guess it's the sudden change of the Observers from enigmatic watchers to Nazi-like occupiers. There was so little build up with the Observers save for "spot the bald dude in the background!" in every episode. There was little indication that they were a threat, basically until the flash forward episode.

Honestly, my enjoyment of the show has lowered considerably since the beginning of last season. When they did the whole altered timeline thing, it felt like they did it as an excuse to hit the reset button, bring back characters or concepts that had been very dramatically concluded. Col. Broyles' death on Earth 2 is a key example. Not to mention Walter's bits of brain that were very conclusively destroyed, but now magically back in this fifth season because...altered timeline, I guess? There's also William Bell's sudden heel turn which didn't make sense with everything we'd known of him before. Not to mention that the reset button basically shot away all character development that had been built up for three seasons.

Still, I'm enjoying the show, but at this point, I just want to finish it off just to finish it off. It probably didn't help that I've breezed through the whole show in two weeks.

Right, I take that back. Just watched the fourth and fifth episodes, which included a pretty big and fatal surprise.

In the meantime, however...

How I Met Your Mother

Very seldomly, I've had to pause something because I was laughing so hard. This week's episode was it. I spent a good minute laughing hysterically when...

Dave Coulier appeared during the Robin Sparkles "documentary." Given that the whole thing was a send off to Alanis Morrisette's huge change in musical style from early 90s pop to mid-90s grunge, Coulier's appearance just came out of nowhere. I was already giggling at the Morrisette parody, but that was the clincher.

Dave Coulier appeared during the Robin Sparkles "documentary." Given that the whole thing was a send off to Alanis Morrisette's huge change in musical style from early 90s pop to mid-90s grunge, Coulier's appearance just came out of nowhere. I was already giggling at the Morrisette parody, but that was the clincher.
"I always liked that joke"
:rofl:

So I saw the recent episode of "The Office" ...why is Andy such an ass-hole again? I don't care for it.

Edit: Also Do not harm is fucking stupid and cliche. Don't watch it.

Just finished Battlestar Galactica season 4. Some reactions:

Season 1 beginning: This is awesome.
Season 1 finale: Woooaaahhh...
Season 2 finale: Oh shit.
Season 3 beginning: Daaaaamn!
Season 3 finale: Oh my god, oh my god, I have to plow through season 4 in a week.
Most of season 4: Shit is going down!
Mid-to-late season 4: Adama is a badass.
Near-end of season 4: NOOOOOO! NO NO NO NO NOOOOOO!
First two parts of finale: YES!
Ending: ....what.

So yeah, I was :sohappy: until I was :mad:

It's like they had smart people writing the show throughout. There were some filler episodes now and then, but largely there was a strong plot, strong character development, interesting subplots, and a creepy ethereal element to what was going on. But then near the end those smart people got tired or lost the notes for how they wanted to tie all of it together, so they asked some random dumbass off the street how he would explain things and finish up the series. "It really was God all along and there's no reason for the angels shit or Starbuck coming back or any of it. God! Derp. And better warn everybody about them damn Japanese robots, I tell you."

Fuck. Just ... goddamn.

I have a friend who's never watched the second half of season 4 and keeps saying how she needs to get it sometime. I tell her it's for the best she stopped where she did.

I don't know about that because
them just reaching a dead planet
isn't too satisfying. But then, I don't know what would be a good stopping point. There are some really tense episodes late in the season.

I somewhat wish they'd just nixed the elements that led to dissatisfaction, because with the angle they went, those elements weren't too important. Though more I'd rather someone had used them properly. As it is, I kind of wish someone had told me not to expect a decent resolution to that stuff. I wouldn't have blasted through the last couple seasons like I did.

But really, TV show writers need to understand you CANNOT just throw things into the story because the visuals are cool and expect to figure it out later. Writing that way only works when you can do revisions, and you cannot revise a TV show to better hone those ideas. You're stuck with what you threw in. So you'd better know what the hell you're doing with it before someone grabs your script for filming.

Also
Why didn't Tigh and Adama get a final scene together after their badassery earlier in the season?
And plothole
If new Earth is our Earth, how come it was the 13th colony's Earth that had the matching constellations? Fucking idiots.

I've been watching about 2 -3 hours of the fireplace channel every night this past week.
Not gonna lie...that sounds awesome.

Saw the latest Ninja Turtles, and I'll admit at first I wasn't sold on Fishface. And then he got super robot legs and started jumping around like some crazy capoeira poison-biting fish monster! It was AWESOME!

So, I like the idea behind Diners, Drive-Thrus & Dives. It's a cool concept for a food show. Guy Fieri, however, is the world's biggest douche. He is unwatchably douchey.

I wish I had given Man vs. Food a shot before. I really dig the whole thing. I love trash, garbage pig-out food that's absolutely terrible for you. I wish I could only eat trash, garbage pig-out food that's terrible for you. The host is a lot more bearable too. The guy seems to genuinely enjoy all the food he gets to eat unlike Fieri, who is really, really easy to read when he doesn't like something but acts like he enjoys it.

Saw a new episode of Family Guy. Now, people have mocked the show by saying that the cutaway gags throw away the plot. Well this episode didn't need cutaways to throw it off because the plot was just fucking awful! The sub-plot didn't so much have an ending as it just stopped, and the main plot was ripped out of a billion other bad sitcoms only LESS funny. Lesson learned, do not give McFarlane a second chance.

Just finished House of Cards. Really excellent, a bit slow in the middle, but things ramped up just in time to leave things hanging in a good place for season 2. If there's one big complaint (or maybe a good thing, we will have to wait and see) it's that the show was written with at least a season 2 in mind, so there's very little resolution.