[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Scrubs: We're halfway through season 8 AKA the final real season. I remember really liking this season and I still do, but I can't help noticing that characters like JD and Kelso seemed to have gone into a hyperbolic time chamber and emerged as very different people. It's not all incredible--the changing dynamic between JD and Cox is realistic and kind of sad considering when Courtney Cox came in as chief of medicine they were finally reaching a level of mutual respect, and now it's gone. But the way he is with his interns--JD was never good with them before. Now he's friggin' Morgan Freeman in Lean on Me.

I love the interns of this season. They should have just continued Scrubs as it was, not med school, and made this bunch the new main cast. I would've continued watching had that been the case. But then Sacred Heart demolished or some shit, and they only kept one out of the five or six new characters. Stupid...

fade

Staff member
Yeah, Monk's real superpower wasn't detective skills, but to hit you in the nuts when you weren't expecting it. All of a sudden, it's like, "how the hell am I crying? I need to go chop some wood and punch a guy."

My little brother said to me once "Hey Workaholics is actually pretty good!" So I watch the newest episode. Needless to say I won't be watching it again. Just a bunch of over used jokes.

I also saw the Nick Kroll sketch show. Love his stand up but...ugh. Just boring satire to me.

I think Workaholics is a fun show, guilty pleasure ish type show when they're not trying too hard. I've only seen like half the first season, so I have no clue if it's gotten really shitty in Season 3? whichever it's in now.

So this was already a week ago, but Elementary's episode M was amazing. Apart from Vinnie Jones as the eponymous villain, Johnny Lee Miller's performance was excellent. This show is otherwise a fairly mediocre procedural with pretty good leads, but M knocked it out of the park.

You do as you feel you must, Watson. I will do the same.

Wife likes Criminal Minds a lot. Sat down and watched it while browsing on the iPad.

It's horrible, really really horrible. Shemar Moore thinks he's still acting in a soap and the directors/producers have no clue how to end an episode with emotional impact. Someone dies, show shocked faces, show actor crying and quickly fade to black and run credits. No artistry at all.

My little brother said to me once "Hey Workaholics is actually pretty good!" So I watch the newest episode. Needless to say I won't be watching it again. Just a bunch of over used jokes.

I also saw the Nick Kroll sketch show. Love his stand up but...ugh. Just boring satire to me.
I like Workaholics. Charlie hit it on the head, it's just a fun show.

We have been enjoying "Foyle's War" on Netflix. We really dig "Lewis" and "Poirot"so this is the next logical step. I am starting to think that the Brits make better T.V. than we do. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
We have been enjoying "Foyle's War" on Netflix. We really dig "Lewis" and "Poirot"so this is the next logical step. I am starting to think that the Brits make better T.V. than we do. :(
It's easier to come up with better stuff when you do a whopping 6 episodes a year.

It's easier to come up with better stuff when you do a whopping 6 episodes a year.
There's some relationship between season length and quality.

Charlie Sheen's Anger Management and all the Tyler Perry dreck = 90 episode orders
Average network season = 24 episodes
Cable/HBO/Showtime season = 13 episodes
The Office, Luther, Sherlock = 3-6 episodes

fade

Staff member
At my wife's request, I've started Six Feet Under. I'm about halfway through the first season, and I cannot decide if I like it or not. I waver between thinking it's brilliant in parts to trite or forced in others. The show tries to fit every episode to a common theme like Seinfeld, except it's not nearly as subtle. It's more like the show is yelling, "HEY ALL THESE SUBPLOTS ARE CONNECTED GET IT???!?" The same with characters. All of them are at least a little grating, which I think they did on purpose to perpetuate the whole craphole world image they have going on. I'm especially not a fan of Nate's girlfriend, who is so annoying I haven't even committed her name to memory. On the other hand, the plot is somewhat interesting, and the likable sides of some of the characters are entertaining.

Did you get to the part where Hannah starts dancing in her underwear? That's when I got really sold on the show
Yup at like the end of the third or second episode? Yeah, sold. I'm like 5 episodes deep and it feels like the two thousand teen's Freaks and Geeks.[DOUBLEPOST=1358466897][/DOUBLEPOST]And Adam is a great character.

Yup at like the end of the third or second episode? Yeah, sold. I'm like 5 episodes deep and it feels like the two thousand teen's Freaks and Geeks.[DOUBLEPOST=1358466897][/DOUBLEPOST]And Adam is a great character.
ADAM OWNS

and I really like the show but am a little hesitant to call it F&G level, but we'll see how the 2nd season goes

Wow, objectification of women is pretty lame.
You misunderstand me, she was already naked in the show like, way earlier. It was an emotional climax for the show, a really great and fitting song choice, directed perfectly, and one of the most pure fun type moments on TV last year. It also took the kind of cliched "girls dancing away their troubles" stuff that is a really fine line to walk (see any bad rom-com, and half of the time Grey's is guilty of this too, even though I love it), and nailed it with an air of authenticity most other shows lack.

You misunderstand me, she was already naked in the show like, way earlier. It was an emotional climax for the show, a really great and fitting song choice, directed perfectly, and one of the most pure fun type moments on TV last year. It also took the kind of cliched "girls dancing away their troubles" stuff that is a really fine line to walk (see any bad rom-com, and half of the time Grey's is guilty of this too, even though I love it), and nailed it with an air of authenticity most other shows lack.
A woman dancing in her underwear can be a climax, but I don't think it's an emotional one for most.

Sidenote: Hannah looks* and sounds exactly like my ex from 2009 and it's doing weird things to my emotions.

*even naked, but without the tattoos.

The General and I have finished watching all of "The Supersizers...." episodes featuring Giles Coren and Sue Perkins. Now, we're on to "Giles and Sue Live the Good Life." I've already watched all of this beforehand and love living history shows. Does anyone else have advice for something from this funny genre? (I've seen all of the Channel 4 and PBS 'House' series)

The General and I have finished watching all of "The Supersizers...." episodes featuring Giles Coren and Sue Perkins. Now, we're on to "Giles and Sue Live the Good Life." I've already watched all of this beforehand and love living history shows. Does anyone else have advice for something from this funny genre? (I've seen all of the Channel 4 and PBS 'House' series)
They did stuff other than Supersizers? I must acquire this!

I taped an episode of Shipping Wars, started watching it. Fell asleep during the 1st 5 minutes. Woke up at the credits, played it again, fell asleep during the 1st 5 minutes again. Still haven't watched it conscious.