[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I always wonder about that sort of justification. Do these people make their own TV watching decisions on that sort of basis? "I want to watch some Jeopardy...oh, no, it's a host I haven't seen before, guess I'll go watch Temptation Island instead"? It can sort of work if you're comparing known quantities - "I'm in the mood for some wrestling...oh, no, it's Kane vs The Undertaker, I don't like them, I'll go watch ice figure skating instead". But new hosts? Wut?

I'm up to Ep 8 of Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix, it's a bit of a slow burn at the start, but crap gets weird and gory later on. I'm diggin' it.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, really. What was this tweet that got deleted? If you remember.

--Patrick
IIRC, it was a picture of the disgraced Jeopardy host with an outrageous photoshopped moustache, with the headline "New Host Found to Replace Disgraced Jeopardy Host" or something like that.

Catching up on Creepshow and Channel Zero, which leads to the obvious question: how the hell does Barbara Crampton, born in 1958, look better than me?

Holy shit, had he not had the hubris to Chenney himself into the position of host, he'd still have his incredible, privileged, amazing job.

Also, Sony not even sugar coating the corpspeak. He's not being fired because he's utterly unfit for the job, he's being fired because he got caught.

Yeah, I dug the Amazon version of the Tick, wish it had gone longer.
It really was superior to The Boys in just about every way, but was dropped in favor of that apparently. That's not a knock against The Boys, it's pretty good, but The Tick actually understood how to parody and deconstruct the concept of Super Heroes without resorting to "Everyone's an asshole, so why aren't Super Heroes just fucking monsters?".

Rewatching Daredevil season 1.

I forgot just how good this show was. It blows any of the Disney shows out of the water so far. The exchanges between Matt and Foggy when he finds out who Matt is, and between Fisk and Ben. I don’t think it could have been done better.

La Brea (series premiere)

Trailer here, if you're interested.

I'd just finished watching a movie earlier and the TV switched to live cable when I exited that app, and I stumbled across the start of this show. I think I vaguely heard something about it before, so I decided to watch it.

And it's...not very good. Aside from the flashbacks, its structure is a LOT like LOST. In fact, they go so far as to lazily namedrop it. (A character says something like "Gosh, this feels almost like that show, LOST!")

The acting is stilted because the actors are working off shoddy writing. It's riddled with clichés. And the CGI for the animals look they belong on a show from 10-15 years ago.

The hook and concept are interesting enough, but the meat of the show itself is not very good. It feels like a dated show from when every show years ago was trying to ape the success of LOST or HEROES.

Last edited:
I kept seeing ads for that last week during football (the only time I watch network tv anymore) and they only showed the same footage over and over again. Like it was the only bit of the show that wouldn't make you cringe. I still cringed.

Also been seeing a lot of trailers for a new comedy called Ghosts on CBS. It's a supernatural-themed comedy and an adaptation of a popular foreign original. ...where have I heard this before?

Currently on at my house throughout the week after kids are in bed and Mrs. Soupy and I can hit the couch:

Heels - Wrestling Drama on Starz - really enjoying it.
Downton Abbey - Netflix - on season 2 a few episodes in. My wife and I have always wanted to start it, and we're glad we finally had some time to fit it in. Really enjoying it.
What If...? -Enjoying it, makes me smile for the most part.
Star Trek: Lower Decks - Loving it. Loving all the fan service.
Ted Lasso: I'm really enjoying it. I know it's the current new hottness for a lot of people and I can see why. Characters are great, and i'm guaranteed a lot of laughs from each episode.

We're looking forward to new seasons of Expanse, Snowpiercer, and anything Star Trek or Star Wars coming out. :)

I just finished a binge of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Now I feel like I have no rudder.... Nothing to watch. I really do not want to re-watch TNG or Voyager. At least not yet.

Both are pale sad imitations.

Also, the Orville is the worst looking sci-fi hero ship since fucking Andromeda.

Even ignoring that the CW will probably CW-it up, who are they going to get for Delenn, G'Kar and Londo to even compare to the originals.