[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I love how they explained some little mysteries, but built on the bigger ones. I'm rewatching the first 3 episodes right now to see where things fit so far. Some thoughts and questions:

-I'm betting the "thuds" we heard in episode 2 were falling drones.

-Who is "editing" these shows? Because I don't think it's Wanda. I don't think she's controlling the rewinds or resets. They seem like they're...protecting her from reality.

-Why the broadcast signal? If the illusion is all for Wanda's benefit, why edit and broadcast it with a signal someone could watch? Why cater to an audience?

-In every good mystery, the first question I always ask is "who benefits?" In this case, who benefits from manipulating Wanda, to maybe have children? Or is this all still a broken defense mechanism by Wanda because she can't cope with losing everything in the Avengers movies?

EDIT: Oh, and also...

I heard one theory - JUST a a theory- that "Dotty," from episode 2, who ran the planning committee is secretly Mephisto. If so, that's a HELL of a casting. Because Emma Caulfield is a great actress. Haven't seen her in anything since her Buffy days.

I've really enjoyed the episodes so far, aside from how quick they seem to speed by. I have the wife pretty invested as well. :D

My theory as such:

Wandas definitely in control of the situation and we'll be led to believe she's the bad guy until the second to last episode where Baron Mordo appears. While Wanda has been certainly manipulating the Westview environment, Mordo had created a pocket dimension on her behalf to do with what she wanted, secretly causing her the trouble she's going through in an attempt to drive her evil/mad/to team Mordo. (Mordo is using magic which is what Darcy will identify as advanced science/magic soon.) new characters will pop up over the next couple episodes to really drive Wanda batty. She's not innocent necessarily, but she's certainly not the bad person otherwise we end up seeing the end of her character arc. Doctor Strange will show up right at the end to resolve the Mordo conundrum and then take her in as an apprentice to give her value in the world again, leading right into Multiverse of Madness.

The whole season is basically the prequel to that movie, setting the stage for the conflict, grounding the multiple pocket universe idea, connecting Strange and Wanda.

It's Youtube "TV" but it's high enough quality to be on something like Adult Swim. I highly recommend this series for anyone who loves adult animated WTFery.

The History of Swear Words on Netflix is very funny, and also very interesting. Nicholas Cage is the host, and there is a mix of comedians and language/social experts discussing each word. Really nicely done. Each word (fuck, shit, bitch, dick, pussy, damn) gets its own episode, plus discussion of swearing in general woven through it.

Finally got around to start watching Tin Star. I"m on the final episode for season one. Damn, what a great ride and Tim Roth always makes everything better..

Expanse season 5 continues it's track record as great sci-fi. Loved the character work this season.

The way they wrote Alex (Cas Anvar) out was a little Poochieish but other than that it was a great season, looking forward to the 6th and final.

Another crazy episode. I appreciate that they are now giving us a little of the sitcom element and some of the SWORD investigation element.
I hate that they are making Hayward kind of a villain here but I guess there needs to be some confliction to stir the pot.
There is definitely more to what is happening than just what Wanda can make happen.
I think something has created this world for her and given her the reins of it, amplifying her mind altering abilities to affect the townsfolk. Mephisto perhaps?
But no children? What happened to the ones that lived in Westview before Wanda came?
That commercial was harsh.
And DAMN! Our very first X-Men universe cross over!

WandaVision:

The Vision "baby pictures" made me laugh so hard I had to pause the episode.
I didn't expect the Evan Peters rumors to come true this quickly. Or the shout-out to Civil War. Or Monica to NOT want to talk about Carol.
I did like the speculation on the extent of Wanda's abilities, something they constantly rewrite in the comics. I love Team Monica/Darcy/Jimmy. I love that they addressed the Infinity-elephant in the room, finally (the fight against Thanos, and whether she has the Mind Stone*. It's good to see people know details besides calling it The Blip.)
Damn, I hate waiting every week!

(*Seriously, though, this has been bugging me: if Cap put the stones back, why didn't he give the stone back to Vision? If they're not destroying the Infinity Stones, wouldn't it have been safest with him?)

WandaVision:

The Vision "baby pictures" made me laugh so hard I had to pause the episode.
I didn't expect the Evan Peters rumors to come true this quickly. Or the shout-out to Civil War. Or Monica to NOT want to talk about Carol.
I did like the speculation on the extent of Wanda's abilities, something they constantly rewrite in the comics. I love Team Monica/Darcy/Jimmy. I love that they addressed the Infinity-elephant in the room, finally (the fight against Thanos, and whether she has the Mind Stone*. It's good to see people know details besides calling it The Blip.)
Damn, I hate waiting every week!

(*Seriously, though, this has been bugging me: if Cap put the stones back, why didn't he give the stone back to Vision? If they're not destroying the Infinity Stones, wouldn't it have been safest with him?)
Cap brought back to the stones to the exact time they were taken, so everything still plays out as it did. Thanos still takes the stones and snaps half the universe out of existence for 5 years and then destroys the stones.

Cap brought back to the stones to the exact time they were taken, so everything still plays out as it did. Thanos still takes the stones and snaps half the universe out of existence for 5 years and then destroys the stones.
But regardless time “doesn’t work that way” or so they said.

Yeah, Babylon 5 is a great show, but the special effects were - outside of the space scenes - not even good at the time and have aged horribly. Innovative in some ways, but good? Oof

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, they're shitty 480p cg that looked bad in the 90s. It would have taken a miracle to make them look good.
Theres plenty of models and textures already floating around (there was a flight sim game after all), they could have rendered new cgi if they had really wanted to.

So Wandavision
Didn't think they'd jump right into setting up phase 4 so quickly but looks like his return/revival/recast has set that off like a shot.

Also curious now if the missing Sword astronauts from episode 4 might be the lead up to a certain fantastic family.

Dang, from what I'm reading they didn't do a very good job with the CGI scenes :/
They lost the master files of the CGI stuff. Unfortunately, the first best use of that stuff is no longer available.

Theres plenty of models and textures already floating around (there was a flight sim game after all), they could have rendered new cgi if they had really wanted to.
$$$$$$

Yeah, Babylon 5 is a great show, but the special effects were - outside of the space scenes - not even good at the time and have aged horribly. Innovative in some ways, but good? Oof
I don't really got you guys...

To me B5's effect are the WC3 of TV. Sure, the graphics aren't high end for teh time, but the art style fits and make them work better then the high end ones that look dated.

To each their own, i guess.

I don't really got you guys...

To me B5's effect are the WC3 of TV. Sure, the graphics aren't high end for teh time, but the art style fits and make them work better then the high end ones that look dated.

To each their own, i guess.
I explicitly don't mean the space scenes. I love those. And the monorail and stuff. It's the blaster shots that look really goofy.

Three things from the latest WandaVision (ep 5):

1) I think Agnes is self aware and always has been, but just playing along.

2) I don't think that was Wanda who came out of the Hex. Her accent was miraculously back, for example. I think that was someone doing a trick to look like Wanda. An illusion, maybe.

3) I hope Quicksilver really is a literal recasting and not the exact same guy plucked from the X-Men universe as some theorize. I hope the explanation isn't that complicated to include a multiverse.[/spolier]

It's the blaster shots that look really goofy.
Where those like, prominent?

The only thing i remember gun-wise is the ep. where Garibaldi used a steam pipe as a make shift "slugthrower".

Three things from the latest WandaVision (ep 5):

1) I think Agnes is self aware and always has been, but just playing along.

2) I don't think that was Wanda who came out of the Hex. Her accent was miraculously back, for example. I think that was someone doing a trick to look like Wanda. An illusion, maybe.

3) I hope Quicksilver really is a literal recasting and not the exact same guy plucked from the X-Men universe as some theorize. I hope the explanation isn't that complicated to include a multiverse.
1) Yeah, that was pretty much implied since a few eps. ago.

2) Nah, she's obv. not against continuing the whole thing. Who's powered her up / gave her the

3) You do know what the next Dr. Strange film is called, right? And the whole "can't bring back the dead" thing before was clearly a hint that she could only "acquire" a living person...

3) You do know what the next Dr. Strange film is called, right? And the whole "can't bring back the dead" thing before was clearly a hint that she could only "acquire" a living person...
I'm well aware of what it's called. That doesn't disqualify what I said and what I hope isn't the answer. I I honestly think would be better to just start fresh with the X-Men rather than have them jump across from another universe. Especially since the amount of actual good X-Men movies is dwarfed by the number of not-so-good ones. But we don't know what's going on yet and whether this is what some theorize.

For the record, I'm also not crazy about implanting a whole bunch of multiverse stuff. I'm not a fan of it being overused in the comics and it seems like it's trending in Hollywood ever since Spider-Verse and Crisis on Infinite Earths. But now the upcoming third Spider-Man movie and Dr. Strange seem to be doing that.

Where those like, prominent?
The only thing i remember gun-wise is the ep. where Garibaldi used a steam pipe as a make shift "slugthrower".
The standard B5 sidearm was a thermal-based (I think-EDIT: it was plasma-based) weapon that made a characteristic "brrrRRRVVVFFF!!" noise when armed and whose projectiles could not accidentally puncture the hull (which is why they did not carry "slugthrower"-type weapons).

--Patrick

I'm well aware of what it's called. That doesn't disqualify what I said and what I hope isn't the answer. I I honestly think would be better to just start fresh with the X-Men rather than have them jump across from another universe. Especially since the amount of actual good X-Men movies is dwarfed by the number of not-so-good ones. But we don't know what's going on yet and whether this is what some theorize.

For the record, I'm also not crazy about implanting a whole bunch of multiverse stuff. I'm not a fan of it being overused in the comics and it seems like it's trending in Hollywood ever since Spider-Verse and Crisis on Infinite Earths. But now the upcoming third Spider-Man movie and Dr. Strange seem to be doing that.
I'm afraid you may not get your wish. If you turn on the official sight impaired prompts for the episode, it specifically says "Wanda looks at Pietro from the X-Men universe"

WandaVision
I squealed, then had to explain to my son why (he hasn't seen any of the X-Men movies). While I see what Nick is saying, he was easily the best part of the movies he was in, so I'm super stoked about this turn of events. I love this show so, so much.

The standard B5 sidearm was a thermal-based (I think-EDIT: it was plasma-based) weapon that made a characteristic "brrrRRRVVVFFF!!" noise when armed and whose projectiles could not accidentally puncture the hull (which is why they did not carry "slugthrower"-type weapons).

--Patrick
I meant i don't remember their CGI being a prominent feature of the show.

I I honestly think would be better to just start fresh with the X-Men rather than have them jump across from another universe. Especially since the amount of actual good X-Men movies is dwarfed by the number of not-so-good ones.
Well, considering the nature of a multiverse, they could do both.

Same characters/actors, but without any of the Fox backstory.

The MCU is already it's own parallel universe, Earth-199999.

Makes more sense then having mutants show up all of a sudden and being hated by a population that's already used to super beings.

I meant i don't remember their CGI being a prominent feature of the show.
Firing one would leave a trail of heat shimmer that would distort the air around it, as well as the bolt itself. You can kind of see this happening in the opening credits for season 4, right when Vir says "...the year of Great Sadness."

--Patrick