Talk about the last movie you saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lumax

Monsters VS Aliens in Real3D

First off, the movie was "ok". Not great, but certainly not bad either. I think with a little more character development it could have been a much better movie. As it was, they didn't spend enough time on the characters so everything felt packed in between the action sequences.

Where this movie really worked was with its use of 3D. Every other 3D movie I've ever seen has always made it seem like the 3D component was just tacked on for effect (ooh look at my sticking the spear at you through the screen.. ooooh) but for this movie it worked so well that I have to recommend that people see the 3D version. The main thing that it helped convey was a sense of scale and porportion, especially with the very large Monsters and the big space craft. The sweeping vistas during the flight scenes looked AMAZING in 3D. I really would go back to see it again, just for the 3D side of it, and its got me really excited for the 3D version of UP.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Just watched The Hunt for the Red October. I dunno... maybe because it's such a household name, I kinda expected more than what was delivered. I don't think I'll save it on my digital recorder, but it's one of those movies that is worth seeing at least once.

Sadly it also reminded me that at one time Sean Connery used to be one helluva badass actor. :(

A

Alucard

Dude he was still a good actor in that movie. His career was winding down a bit.

That will always be my favorite Tom Clancy movie ever made. Sum of All Fears should have been produced at all :p

North_Ranger

Staff member
That's what I meant. I could not imagine that the person who played Marko Ramius was the same one who played Alan Qu... Q... Q... that white hunter guy in the Leag... Lea... Llll... in that horrible movie THAT DID NOT EXIST!

C

cvgurau

Shegokigo said:
Watched Let The Right One In last night. Gonna say this.

I was dissapointed.

Now why? It was marketed to me in the wrong way. How? Right on the cover it said: "Best. Vampire. Movie. Ever."

No. It wasn't. Was a fantastic movie? Oh most definitly. It was well written, well paced, well acted. Best vampire movie ever though? No, sadly. No.

Few things bothered me too:
[spoiler:2511lxhf]The whole no genitelia. Was it a boy with a removed fireman? Hence the scar and the "I'm not a girl", and if so? Why? Was it just that they don't have genetelia after they're "turned", I mean, wtf?[/spoiler:2511lxhf]

And I could have done without the "cat scene". Seriously pointless.

Also, some shitty news: The director of Cloverfield, Matt Reeves, has aquired the rights to a "remake". This is what the first movie director had to say about it:
Alfredson has stated that he is not happy that the film is being remade, saying that "Remakes should be made of movies that aren’t very good, that gives you the chance to fix whatever has gone wrong"

The genitalia thing: In the book the movie is based upon, Eli was boy who was castrated and turned into a vampire as part of a satanic ritual. This was hinted at in the movie, but was (quite understandably, I think), not fully explored.

From what I understand, the director briefly wanted to castrate a young pig for this scene, but decided to forgo it altogether. :confused:

And I'm looking forward to the remake, if only to see how badly they fuck it up. It's a bit of schadenfreude that I fear I'm developing a taste for, courtesy of you fuckers. :eek:rly:

As for "best vampire movie ever"? I don't know. I just can't think of any better ones, ATM.

cvgurau said:
As for "best vampire movie ever"? I don't know. I just can't think of any better ones, ATM.
Nosferatu
Dusk Till Dawn
Bram Stoker's
The Lost Boys

Keep in mind, I said better "vampire" movies, not better film.

Shegokigo said:
cvgurau said:
Nosferatu
Dusk Till Dawn
Bram Stoker's
The Lost Boys

Keep in mind, I said better "vampire" movies, not better film.
What was the one with James Woods, where he got stuck in some mid-Texas/Mexican town?

I'm a bit drunk and can't Google-fu it. But it was a good Vamp-slayer movie.

R

redapples

CynicismKills said:

Ummmm imdb? Vampires was the name and it certainly was better than Ghosts of Mars which has to be a Carpenter low point.

redapples said:
CynicismKills said:

Ummmm imdb? Vampires was the name and it certainly was better than Ghosts of Mars which has to be a Carpenter low point.
Again, drunk and can't depend on my search-fu. :p

However that's the one I meant. A good Carpenter flick, one of my favorites of his.

Just give me a vampire movie that doesn't have one scene where a friend or family member is turned and someone else dies because they delay pulling the trigger.

"30 Days of Night" Is the only one I can think of. At least everyone was smart enough to know the difference between a loved one and someone who wants to bite your @#$%ing head off.

Oh yeah. And last movie I saw was Radio Land Murders.
I finally just picked up a copy for pretty cheap. It's one of those rare comedies that has G. Lucas' name on it but isn't a complete waste of time. I still think it's pretty damn funny and well paced. There is a lot of Marx Bros and 3-stooges style humor: witty word-play with a good amount of slapstick. While it's not on the same awesome level as "Clue" it still remains one of my favorite who-dunnits to date. My favorite element of the movie is how the music, shows, and commercials being played live over the station match the actions and moods of the main characters.

Shawnacy said:
"30 Days of Night" Is the only one I can think of. At least everyone was smart enough to know the difference between a loved one and someone who wants to bite your @#$%ing head off.
That would have made my list if not for the retarded ending.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I just watched Schindler's List for the first time in a decade. I remember loving that movie when I first saw it - I must have been thirteen or fourteen at the time, if memory serves. But now when I watched it... I broke in tears during the scene where the Schindlerjuden and the actors who played them were bringing stones to Oskar Schindler's grave. It may have been the music, it may have been that these people were actually there, or it may have been the fact that I've had my first stress-free day today in six months... but I cried like a baby.

I usually don't cry... I didn't cry even at my grandmother's funeral... but now I just couldn't help it.

L

Lumax

North_Ranger said:
I just watched Schindler's List for the first time in a decade. I remember loving that movie when I first saw it - I must have been thirteen or fourteen at the time, if memory serves. But now when I watched it... I broke in tears during the scene where the Schindlerjuden and the actors who played them were bringing stones to Oskar Schindler's grave. It may have been the music, it may have been that these people were actually there, or it may have been the fact that I've had my first stress-free day today in six months... but I cried like a baby.

I usually don't cry... I didn't cry even at my grandmother's funeral... but now I just couldn't help it.
For me the opposite happened. Over the years of seeing Spielberg's very heavy handed method of getting his point across in his movies, I've grown less and less fond of Schindlers list and even feel its slipping onto my "worst movies" list.

It does deliver a powerful message, but its just beat into you over and over and over again to the point where you become numb to the impact after a while. Same goes for Saving Private Ryan and Munich.

North_Ranger

Staff member
That's why I don't watch many Spielberg movies. Only Schindler's List.

Plus, as morbid as it may sound, I'm interested in watching movies about the Holocaust. For that you can blame Schindler's List and reading Maus.

Bon Cop, Bad Cop

A hugely successful Canadian film (budget of $8 mil, made $12 in box office) that is entirely bilingual. Meaning, unless you're bilingual, yourself, you pretty much need the subtitles just to follow along. It was confusing at some points, because the switch between English and French is like when you have two friends who are bilingual and switch between English and French without any warning during their conversation.

Still, it was a great buddy cop movie and hilarious. Though, I think you'd have to be Canadian to fully appreciate it and a lot of the Canadian jokes. Plus, the finale with the bad guy and how they stop him is probably THE best beating of a villain I've ever seen. Great stuff.

Watchmen, Wolverine, Fanboys, Taken.

Watchmen was well made, but, as usual, all the really groundbreaking and innovative stuff that was done in the comics was washed right out. I had high hopes, but Alan Moore was right; it sucked as a movie, largely because many of the literary devices he used were unsuitable or impossible to carry over to cinema.

Wolverine.. well, you prolly already know how bad that pile of shit was.

I loved Fanboys, as will almost any fanboy. And Taken was surprisingly good, although I would have preferred less combat and more ... um... smartness? Like Michael Weston in the 1st season of Burn Notice or something. Still awesome, though.

Cajungal

Staff member
MisterSteve said:
And Taken was surprisingly good, although I would have preferred less combat and more ... um... smartness? Like Michael Weston in the 1st season of Burn Notice or something. Still awesome, though.
But wasn't it fun to hear Liam Neeson say, "Damnit man, this is no time for a dick-measuring contest!

yay Liam ^_^ I loved that movie. It was exciting!

Cajungal said:
MisterSteve said:
And Taken was surprisingly good, although I would have preferred less combat and more ... um... smartness? Like Michael Weston in the 1st season of Burn Notice or something. Still awesome, though.
But wasn't it fun to hear Liam Neeson say, "Damnit man, this is no time for a *-measuring contest!

yay Liam ^_^ I loved that movie. It was exciting!

Neeson is easily one of the greatest actors of our time, if not one of the greatest actors ever. [spoiler:2f5xuqmg]My favorite line was the thing with Marco in the house (brothel?).

''You don't remember me. We spoke on the phone.'' (Clueless look from bad guy followed by slowly dawning horror.) ''I told you I would find you.'' And the torture scene, well, yeah, totally worth the price of admission.[/spoiler:2f5xuqmg]

But the problem I had was... I would never risk my own life when failure meant losing my daughter. Yeah, he's a badass, but there is always someone tougher than the toughest tough guy you ever met. I was hoping for more Bourne/Westonesque (I just invented a word :p) planning and execution. What if he got shot, putting himself out there in high risk situations?

For all my complaints, Qui-Gonn was just off the chain fantastic as former operative on a mission. Hope for a good sequel and hope for more badass roles for Mr Neeson.

I think I lean towards old dudes for some reason (as favorite actor, not, you know, man crush. Okay, just a little man crush). But Neeson is truly the consummate actor, he makes me believe he can do this stuff, the action, the intrigue, the righteous muthafuckin fury, the whole nine yards. MOAR PLZ!

A

Alucard

Just saw Curious Case of Benjamin something not too bad even though i dont like Brad Pitt.

And 30 Days of Night which was cool even though I'm familiar with the novel

S

Soliloquy

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Taken was such a pleasant surprise, even if the first 1/3 was unwatchable.
Ugh, yeah, the beginning was horrible, cliched "character development" that was predictable, added nothing to the story, and seemed to be trying to get across the message "never go anywhere. Ever. Or you will be made into a sex slave."

The beginning of Taken was awful but by the time I stopped laughing at the daughter's retarded run the action was starting.

Cajungal

Staff member
Yeah I admit the beginning was goofy. I was surprised how much time they took with the setup. Still good. :D And if I get the DVD I can forward to the good parts.

Cat said:
The beginning of Taken was awful but by the time I stopped laughing at the daughter's retarded run the action was starting.
If it had gone 5 minutes longer, I would have been cheering for her to be brutally murdered.

I watched Grave of the Fireflies and was sorely underwhelmed. I guess it was built up too much for me because I don't know what I was expecting, but I found it heavy-handed, manipulative, and frustrating. The animation was exquisite but the firefly imagery was repetitively unsubtle. As I mentioned elsewhere, I cry at Kodak commercials and was to that end warned about this movie, but I barely got choked up.

Watched Highlander (the original) for the first time in many, many years. I don't remember it being as goofy as it was. Clancy Brown was pure awesome though. He needs to be in more things, all the time, not just voice acting stingy crabs.

"Rogue" About a giant killer croc in Australia.
Suspenseful movie, but doesn't live up to expectations (which in a horror movie is a high body count).

Seven Pounds.

Honestly, I thought it was overly sentimental crap. They don't get into his reasoning as to why he chose those 7 people to "save" or "fix" and the sacrifice was just ridiculously over the top. I don't know why people thought this movie was so great.

ThatNickGuy said:
Bon Cop, Bad Cop

A hugely successful Canadian film (budget of $8 mil, made $12 in box office) that is entirely bilingual. Meaning, unless you're bilingual, yourself, you pretty much need the subtitles just to follow along. It was confusing at some points, because the switch between English and French is like when you have two friends who are bilingual and switch between English and French without any warning during their conversation.

Still, it was a great buddy cop movie and hilarious. Though, I think you'd have to be Canadian to fully appreciate it and a lot of the Canadian jokes. Plus, the finale with the bad guy and how they stop him is probably THE best beating of a villain I've ever seen. Great stuff.
I watched that movie with my father a while back. It sparked a conversation about how a lot of Canadian movies seem to be incredibly crass.

Now, I would renege on that today, but it seemed like (at the time) that most of the Canadian films I had seen up unto that point, in an effort to be edgy, were just really, really, really crass.

-- Sat May 09, 2009 12:05 pm --

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Cat said:
If it had gone 5 minutes longer, I would have been cheering for her to be brutally murdered.
I didn't think Taken was a terribly good movie. It was, however, a terribly good watch-Liam-Neeson-romp-through-Paris.

My love for Liam Neeson, my approval of violence, and my dislike for Paris, all in a neat package, that was conveniently lacking any concern for plot.

ThatNickGuy said:
Seven Pounds.

Honestly, I thought it was overly sentimental crap. They don't get into his reasoning as to why he chose those 7 people to "save" or "fix" and the sacrifice was just ridiculously over the top. I don't know why people thought this movie was so great.
I don't think I've heard of one person actually liking this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.