Talk about the last movie you saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
fade said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
fade said:
I always thought it was kind of funny that they gave that movie (Departed) a title that is absolutely slaughtered by the Boston accent.
I don't recall the title being spoken by anyone in the movie so this uh, is a complete non-issue?
Maybe to you. I just thought it was funny, given that the movie takes place in Boston.
Indeed. Great movie, but it is hard to not say the title "De-pah-ted".

Charlie Dont Surf said:
fade said:
I always thought it was kind of funny that they gave that movie (Departed) a title that is absolutely slaughtered by the Boston accent.
I don't recall the title being spoken by anyone in the movie so this uh, is a complete non-issue?
Actually, Matt Damon's character does speak it once, when, during a briefing regarding a dead body he asks what "the departed's" name was.

Still a non-issue, really.

Finally sat down and watched The Clone Wars (the Star Wars CGI movie that came out...last year? Year before?). It wasn't original trilogy great but it also wasn't Phantom Menace bad, either. Story was pretty basic, but the actual animation was quite good looking. So, you know, a typical Star Wars movie. :p

Also thought the chemistry between Anakin and whatshername (his padawan) was really well written and fun. Enough for me to check out the ongoing series, at least.

I still don't understand why they felt the need to return to Clone Wars, when they've already told them (and finished the next part of the story previously, with Revenge of the Sith). I mean, the only reason I can think of is so thy put out yet another new line of toys and make stupid amounts of money because Wars fans will buy anything and...

...oh. Never mind, I just answered my own question.

fade

Staff member
Simfers said:
Still a non-issue, really.

Since when is anything spoken on this board an "issue"? Really, I fail to see the point of both of you saying that. What does that even mean? I never said "The movie fails because of this" if that's what you're getting at (but I'm not sure because I don't know what "a non-issue" means). I said it was funny. Good grief. If you mean it was inconsequential, then you're going to get awfully tired of typing "non-issue" on a lot of posts here.

I just got back from I Love You, Man. Pretty good movie, I laughed a lot, lots of great bit players/performances from some decent big names. Had a really tight script too. I suddenly have to listen to some Rush as well.

S

SeraRelm

Dragonball: Evolution.

Absolutely horrible. It was actually worse than I was expecting. I would rate it as bad as Twilight except I think they actually tried to put a plot to this one.

Spoiler, but not a spoiler. I think they should have called it Dragonball: The Last Airbender.
(Seriously, they call it air-bending. I shit you not)

I watched a movie. I really enjoyed it. Great performances (except for one), looked beautiful, interesting story. Kind of a let-down of an ending but overall I'd recommend it.

SeraRelm said:

Absolutely horrible. It was actually worse than I was expecting. I would rate it as bad as Twilight except I think they actually tried to put a plot to this one.

Spoiler, but not a spoiler. I think they should have called it Dragonball: The Last Airbender.
did it come out this weekend in some limited release, or are all you people talking about it just horrible

ZenMonkey said:
I watched a movie. I really enjoyed it. Great performances (except for one), looked beautiful, interesting story. Kind of a let-down of an ending but overall I'd recommend it.
Twilight sucked and you know it. :humph:

I watched Imagine the Lennon home-movies. I was a little ticked that I did not watch it in the theater 20 years ago. Nicely done I was surprised how even handed the director/producer was in handling the ex-wife and widow.

Shegokigo said:
ZenMonkey said:
Twilight sucked and you know it. :humph:
:rofl: :thumbsup:

A good sign that I'm old is I don't even have any voyeuristic desire to read or watch Twilight just to see what the fuss is all about. Actually that's kind of sad.

S

SeraRelm

Charlie Dont Surf said:
SeraRelm said:

did it come out this weekend in some limited release, or are all you people talking about it just horrible
Connections.

SeraRelm said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Connections.
Oh please, limited release or piracy are the only ways anyone ever gets to see a movie before the rest of the country and you know it.

S

SeraRelm

Connections...

to the internet. :p
Though to be fair, I do pay to go see good movies.

J

JCM

30 days of night.

Pretty good movie about a bunch of people in Alaska trying to survive when some vampires go there for sport (its night for 30 days there), removed the bad taste of pacing the comic

This weekend I saw Watchmen, Duplicity, and Monsters vs Aliens(in 3D!)

Watchmen was... it was alright I guess. Zach Snyder still is not a good director, most of his personal touches on the story were both obvious and retarded. My initial reaction was pretty positive, but I'm pretty sure that's because of my love of the book. Another friend of mine put it good saying that the movie was really effective in making you want to read the book again.

Duplicity didn't really engage me until the last act or so, but even then it was difficult for me to care about it. Julia Roberts' performance was also terrible. I wanted to like it a lot, since Tony Gilroy is good, and his last movie was so great. But it just never really caught my interest. Giamatti and Wilkinson were pretty criminally underused.

Monsters and Aliens 3D was really fun. I love 3D technology, the movie basically made me feel 5 years old. There were a handful of really lame gags that didn't work, which is basically the dreamworks signature at this point.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Monsters and Aliens 3D was really fun. I love 3D technology, the movie basically made me feel 5 years old. There were a handful of really lame gags that didn't work, which is basically the dreamworks signature at this point.
Saw Monsters Vs. Aliens as well yesterday and this was pretty much my reaction as well.

Saw Knowing last weekend, I liked it, except for the end. I could have been much more powerful if they had taken it in a different direction.

[spoiler:1voayysf]Kinda suffers from the aliens at the end, I kept expecting to hear "Come Sail Away" by Styx playing on the soundtrack.[/spoiler:1voayysf]

Citizen Kane.

First time I've watched it. I really enjoyed it but something with nearly seventy years of hype surrounding it is bound to disappoint on some level.

Saw Slumdog Millionaire.

Was feeling totally let down by it until the last 20 minutes or so, when the ending came together to make me go "Whoa, I love this feeling!" I guess maybe the director deliberately made the first parts of the movie so depressing and boring so the climax would feel even better.

(I should try this method for sex)

S

SeraRelm

Knowing.

Not bad. It took a much different direction than I was expecting at about 2/3s into the movie. I can't say it's a great film, but it's worth watching. The visual effects alone made it worthwhile if nothing else.

I watched The Reader a few hours ago. Decent film. Interesting plot, tons of Kate Winslet's Nazi tits (not an official count, but I think they were on screen 100 times). Then I watched Frost/Nixon, which was easily the best movie derived from a play based on an interview of a former US president that I've seen.

K

Koko

JCM said:
30 days of night.

Pretty good movie about a bunch of people in Alaska trying to survive when some vampires go there for sport (its night for 30 days there), removed the bad taste of pacing the comic
The inaccuracies ruined it for me, would have been fine if they made up some city in Alaska...but it was kinda ridiculous.
it's actually dark there for 67 days
population is 4x the depicted size
it's 60% eskimo pop, where they're all white in the film
the 'darkness' is actually bright twilight
has daily 737 flights

Twilight was the last movie I watched (because my wife and her friend were watching it via On Demand). It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Seems like an interesting world the author has created. I'd love to be cool and say it totally sucked, but I'd be lying.

KCWM said:
Twilight was the last movie I watched (because my wife and her friend were watching it via On Demand). It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Seems like an interesting world the author has created. I'd love to be cool and say it totally sucked, but I'd be lying.
Your wife was standing over your shoulder as you typed that. It's the only explanation for your defending of sparkly vampires.

Koko said:
The inaccuracies ruined it for me, would have been fine if they made up some city in Alaska...but it was kinda ridiculous.
it's actually dark there for 67 days
population is 4x the depicted size
it's 60% eskimo pop, where they're all white in the film
the 'darkness' is actually bright twilight
has daily 737 flights

No.... No.... a movie changed facts for a better dramatic effect... no... my god... the horror......

Cajungal

Staff member
I saw Mamma Mia with my mom, sister, grandma, and aunts this past weekend. It was......... not good.

I don't like most of the songs, and the little chick who played the girl getting married was cute but annoying. I didn't like the way Meryl Streep danced and the way she Celine Dion'ed out during "The Winner Takes it All." Just..... I know it was supposed to be a funny and sweet movie, but it mostly just dragged on. Argh. They all loved it.

Parts I liked: Colin Firth (m'augh *bites fist a la Calleja* he's STILL gorgeous), the dance with the guys on the dock before the bachelor party, the chick who called herself a "lone wolf", and guy with the boat who was always going on about adventure.

Not terrible, but loads of meh.

L

LordRavage

Monsters vs. Aliens.

Fun movie! The 3D was good and you couldnt help but love the monsters. Seth Rogan was great as Bob. :D

Shegokigo said:
KCWM said:
Your wife was standing over your shoulder as you typed that. It's the only explanation for your defending of sparkly vampires.
Check the time. I was at work.

Don't mistake my meaning. It wasn't a bad movie, but it's not one that I sought out to watch at the theater. I watched it because it was on...and I'd just wiped for the 10th time in Heroic Nexus because some spare tank couldn't hold aggro. Maybe it was the rum I was drinking, but, when I went on auto-pilot, sat back, and just watched the movie without thinking...it wasn't bad.

T

Twitch

Quantum of Solace was fun, you can see every "twist" coming from a mile away but, cmon, it's a James Bond movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.