[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I really liked it. I've read some criticisms that the Predator in the movie is inconsistent with it's hunter code whatever, but I mean, c'mon....these guys are sport hunters that use thermoptic camo. They're not here for a fair fight.

GasBandit

Staff member
Plus, I'm sure values are not homogenous to an entire species. Even among humans, we have hunters that adhere to rules and hunters that are assholes bent on killing shit regardless of any other consideration.

My own headcanon for Predator movies is that we're only seeing the dregs of Predator hunter society, the ones that lose. I just imagine the other hunters laughing about the dude in Prey losing.

"He died? There? Really? Jesus Christ. I guess I owe you three xenomorph skulls."

Bullet Train

It was fun! I know nothing about the source material, so I can’t say if it stays true to the original. But it was a fun flick, in a turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy kind of way.

• Informative
Reactions: Far
Half of Lightyear

Don't have work tomorrow, USUALLY that means I stay up to finish a film...but OOF, this...DESPERATELY trying to be a not-Star Wars Star Wars film and its ALMOST there. That and we spend THIRTY MINUTES having Buzz do the damn space warp thing, THIRTY god damn minutes until the actual conflict of the fucking film with the Zurg-bots! You didn't NEED to have him go through fifty million failed space flights, at MOST you needed only TWO! You have him go to space, come back, get the cat, try it again without permission, time warp to the future where his friend is dead-BAM-that's a movie.

Probs gonna finish it tomorrow, but while everyone's doing an admirable job in it, the plot just leaves you wanting more.

Edit: FINISHED it... man that was the okayest thing I've ever seen,plus the Zurg twist felt ripped off from Lego Movie 2.

Last edited:
Day Shift
It's really just exactly what you should realistically expect and nothing more. The concept of a group that dedicates themselves to hunting LA vampires is a great idea but when this group turns out to be huge and lucrative you have to question exactly how the vampire population isn't already out of control to require such a large society of vampire hunters. Jaime Fox isn't even initially part of the large group (having been kicked out for being too badass I guess?) and is part of an entirely different group of freelance hunters. The rules of different levels of vampires is terribly explained and feels like they were making up most of it as they went along. Apparently there are different age ranges that grant them status and power but older vampires can basically give their "offspring" their powers thereby skipping the aging part which is basically just a cop out of "we need this character to be able to do this right away". There is also the narrative point made in the film that all vampires are driven by their blood lust and they are supernaturally compelled to follow the orders of their superiors. Except when they are not of course. In fact a character can easily decide "yeah. I don't like working for the bad guys anymore. I'm on your side now", and they can even just ignore their bloodlust entirely. Villains do the cliche thing of leaving the good guy alone and even unrestrained in a dangerous situation that wasn't even potentially dangerous if you consider that "switching sides" is apparently an option. Worse, the villains go off to do something that is in no way time-sensitive and they could literally have done it on the car ride home instead of going to the location of a final epic battle and explaining their plan for so damn long that the good guys had enough time to compose themselves, get armed, and battle their way to said location. Oh. And Snoop Dog has a more than just a cameo in this film, showcasing his cringeworthy "look I'm a stoner" acting in full force.

After I got my PS5, I decided to test out playing a 4K movie on it. Some of the Blu-rays I've bought in recent years were, in fact, 4K copies that included a Blu-ray with them. So I started with....

Aladdin (1992)

One of my all-time favourites for classic Disney animated movies and naturally, it holds up. The animation is gorgeous, the songs are infectious, and Robin Williams is constantly hilarious. Though Genie perhaps a little too joke-heavy at time to the detriment of pacing, but Disney at the time clearly saw how marketable his Genie would be and went all in on it. Plus, they had literal hours of footage with Williams ad-libbing lines, so they had to go somewhere.

Still, it's a classic and remains a classic for all the right reasons.

Since I also owned them on Blu-ray, I decided to continue on the Aladdin train with...

Aladdin: The Return of Jafar

I can't remember the last time I saw this, but I'm guessing it's been at least 15-20 years. And it's...okay. It's funny going straight from Aladdin to this straight-to-video spin-off because the budgets were clearly not equal. The animation is sloppier, less consistent, less refined, and less interesting compared to its bigger budget counterpart. It's clearly working on something more akin to a TV budget than a big theatrical release. On its own, it's not BAD.

This felt very Iago-centered, which makes sense since this puts him in with Aladdin's gang by the end, in time for the spin-off show. Gilbert Gottfried is always a treat and hilarious and gets not just one, but TWO musical numbers. One of which is surprisingly a banger ("I'm Looking Out For Me"). Gottfried himself...wasn't a great singer, but I think that kind of adds to the hilarity of it

Dan Castelleneta replacing Robin Williams is...noticeable. He doesn't handle Genie's frenetic energy the same way. And his delivery feels more like reading lines from the script than improvising like most of Williams' were. Again, not bad.

Aladdin & the King of Thieves

This felt almost like a thematic conclusion to the animated TV show. Aside from "Welcome to the 40 Thieves," most of the songs are...not great. Williams is back, though he feels more reigned in by comparison, and more like he's reading from the script. I could be wrong there, but that's just the energy it feels like. It's a solid story, though, with Aladdin reuniting with his father. And a good, imposing, if kind of bland villain. All solid stuff. Definitely a step up in budget for the animation, compared to Return of Jafar.

And finally, I decided to cap off this Aladdinthon with...

Aladdin (2019)

Yes, the live-action remake. I've avoided the live-action remakes because none of them looked appealing compared to their animated counterparts. The Lion King, especially, looked terrible where they tried to make the animals as photorealistic as possible, but losing all the emotiveness in the trade-off.

To say I went into this with low expectations is an understatement.

And yet...I came out of it surprised. I really dug it. Of the two, I will always prefer the original, but there was a lot to like about this. The costumes are extraordinary, for starters. There were times I was just in awe of what someone was wearing. I love the entire reimagining of Agrabah. I don't know if it is, but it felt more accurate to the area and period they were emulating.

I liked how they combined Aladdin's "One Jump" song with meeting Jasmine, merging two guard chases together. I liked how they leaned more into Aladdin being a thief, showing off his skills AND making it a key ingredient in seeing Jasmine again.

They make a lot of little tweaks to the original story that works really well. Making Jafar a former thief was a great addition, especially in implementing how he gets the lamp from Aladdin. In the balcony kiss scene after "Whole New World," Carpet doesn't push Aladdin completely into Jasmine, but just bumps him closer, which gives Aladdin the agency to "seal the deal." I also like that rather than just meeting Carpet, he "rescues" it. Little touches to the story like that really add to it. They're not so much "fixes" as "tweaking."

Jafar isn't as gleefully, moustache-twirling evil or over the top, which is a shame, but I do like they added to his motivations here with some political reasoning. And his inferiority complex ties in nicely with his defeat in the end. The way Aladdin tricks him in the end is slightly tweaked, but it works incredibly well within what they set up.

The actor that plays Aladdin is...okay. He's rigid at times and isn't as wide-eyed, boyishly playful as his animated counterpart, but he has his own charms. I found I liked him more as the movie went on.

The actress that plays Jasmine, though, is phenomenal and owns every single damn scene she's in. She has more agency beyond a glorified damsel in distress and it works really well. Her musical numbers are great, though they feel a little out of place with the rest of the songs.

Will Smith is...different. He's no Robin Williams and can't hit that same manic energy, which is obvious when they TRY to give him lines that were originally way more energetic in Williams' hands. But he still has amazing charm and screen presence. I like the tweak that he's kind of Aladdin's personal vizier. The love story he gets with another character is cute, but doesn't really add much to the overall story.

So yeah, TL;DR, this movie surprised me and won me over. It's not the original animated movie, but it does a lot of things, especially little tweaks, that I really liked. There were a few times I'd watch one of those tweaks and say out loud "Ooh, that's good!"

Just got out of seeing 3000 YEARS OF LONGING.

Go see it. Just go see it. It's a damn shame it's not successful at the box office because George Miller once again proves why he's a master filmmaker.

Go. See. It.

EDIT: So I wrote that just after I got out and wanted to wait until I got home to give more thoughts.

As I said, Miller is a master filmmaker, as we've seen in several of his films. It's gorgeous with amazing camera work. There are multiple breathtaking shots. Several times through watching this, there were shots or compositions that made me go "Whoa."

A large chunk of the film is kind of like an anthology, with Idris Elba's character - a djinn - telling stories of previous masters. I found those stories more interesting than the one in the modern era, but Tilda Swinton's character, his current master, makes it interesting. She's an interesting character in that she's not immediately drawn by glory, power, greed, or anything, really. So you get some fantastic banter between two of Hollywood's finest. Seriously, if you're a fan of either actor, go see this movie.

I think I'll need to read some articles or watch some video essays to appreciate her story more because I think there's things I'm missing. Particularly, there's some set up at the beginning with elements that appear, but don't seem to factor in the rest of the story. I spotted those elements later in the film, but they seem to be background more than anything, so I'm not sure how they connect. Again, something I think I'll appreciate more with more rewatches.

It's very much a modern fantasy movie but it's so damn good. When people complain that Hollywood never makes anything original? THIS. This is exactly the kind of thing they should see.

Plus, bonus, Idris Elba is topless for two thirds of the film. I'm comfortably and firmly heterosexual, but I can appreciate that he is a very aesthetically pleasing-looking dude.

Last edited:
Just got out of seeing 3000 YEARS OF LONGING.

Go see it. Just go see it. It's a damn shame it's not successful at the box office because George Miller once again proves why he's a master filmmaker.

Go. See. It.

EDIT: So I wrote that just after I got out and wanted to wait until I got home to give more thoughts.

As I said, Miller is a master filmmaker, as we've seen in several of his films. It's gorgeous with amazing camera work. There are multiple breathtaking shots. Several times through watching this, there were shots or compositions that made me go "Whoa."

A large chunk of the film is kind of like an anthology, with Idris Elba's character - a djinn - telling stories of previous masters. I found those stories more interesting than the one in the modern era, but Tilda Swinton's character, his current master, makes it interesting. She's an interesting character in that she's not immediately drawn by glory, power, greed, or anything, really. So you get some fantastic banter between two of Hollywood's finest. Seriously, if you're a fan of either actor, go see this movie.

I think I'll need to read some articles or watch some video essays to appreciate her story more because I think there's things I'm missing. Particularly, there's some set up at the beginning with elements that appear, but don't seem to factor in the rest of the story. I spotted those elements later in the film, but they seem to be background more than anything, so I'm not sure how they connect. Again, something I think I'll appreciate more with more rewatches.

It's very much a modern fantasy movie but it's so damn good. When people complain that Hollywood never makes anything original? THIS. This is exactly the kind of thing they should see.

Plus, bonus, Idris Elba is topless for two thirds of the film. I'm comfortably and firmly heterosexual, but I can appreciate that he is a very aesthetically pleasing-looking dude.
I really loved this film, though my date and I agreed that the film they showed wasn't really the film that seemed promised by the trailers. But neither of us minded at all.

Yesterday I went and saw The Woman King, a historical drama. This one was also amazing, and I don't know that I saw a dry eye in the place when the lights came up.

See How They Run
Strong start but very weak finish. It’s not a clever mystery, and when you start to realize that during the film it suddenly dawns on you who the killer is because there is only one way a not-so-clever mystery can go.

Jurassic World Dominion
I was warned that it was a bad movie but I didn't believe.

It felt excessively long (I watched the extended cut) and boring.
I didn't have big issues with the original cast coming back but the nostalgia bait was largely ineffective and throwing a few Jurassic Park strings over the top wasn't enough to make it work. If anything I think having the two casts just fragmented the movie in a negative way.

I tried to watch Jay and Silent Bob Reboot with my buddy after we found out we couldn't watch Clerks 3 on VOD.

It's literally, and I make this statement with no sarcasm or hyperbole, the worst comedy I've ever watched. It was loathsome to a degree I didn't know was possible. How the fuck Kevin Smith has managed to get to keep making movies after whatever the fuck that was is some sort of statement on the ability of mediocre dudes to be successful.

Charming: Or what it should really be called "Badly written Genderbent Shrek with Mulan accents that somehow got John Cleese and a bunch of random popular singers!"

You know when your drunk, put on a movie, finish it half way, fall asleep, and THEN pick it up a day later sober? This is one of those movies.

Bullet Train was fun. Did not expect some of the cameos. Similar to Smokin' Aces. Even though I know Aaron Taylor-Johnson is English it weirds me out hearing him speak with the accent after so many American roles.

Just watched Hocus Pocus 2. It's a mediocre kids movie carried by how fun the Witches are at mugging. If you think that sounds like the first one, you'll like it. If you've tricked yourself into thinking the original is a great movie just because of nostaliga, you'll probably be let down.

Took the kids to see DC Super Pets. I didn't want to see it at all. The kids haven't been to a theater in 2.5 yes. So I indulged. Yuck. I am glad my kids had fun, but now I question if we can hang out anymore.

Missing Link

BEAUTIFUL animation...just okay story. It honestly felt too episodic throughout, doing that thing where other characters learn about the adventurer's progress, than going back to the story.

I don't regret watching it mind you, but if you've seen a movie about someone wanting to belong, you've seen it before.

League of Superpets

Its alright, not the best animated film I've ever seen, probably wouldn't have payed to see it, but I still enjoyed it enough and liked the villain ESPECIALLY their final form.

Halloween Ends

Honestly I feel the critics are either too harsh on this one, or just more harsh than they were on the last one. This film at least tried to do something different, Halloween Kills was just your average everyday bodycount film.

Wendell and Wild

Damn good film, beautiful animation evocative of Tim Schaefer, and a great message about urban decay and the evils of big business.

It is a LITTLE busy though, with an episodic structure that makes me feel it would've made more sense as a mini-series or something. Hell the film itself feels pilotesque, and I'd honestly be down for a sequel or series!

Barbarian (2022)

...wow. That was an insane rollercoaster ride. Or to use another analogy, it's a bottomless rabbit hole.

And it's a HELL of a thing. If I didn't know what was going on, then I had NO CLUE where it was going.

I don't know how well it will hold up on rewatches once you're aware of all the batshit crazy things, but it's a heck of a ride for the first time.

If you're intending on watching it, go in blind and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
A Quiet Place Part II

My wife and I really wanted to watch this in theaters but we couldn't find any place showing it before the pandemic hit, and then she banned us from all public places for around the next two years, so when it popped up on TV last night we were finally able to watch it.

All in all I liked it. I enjoyed the first one, and the second one wasn't quite in the same mold (a bit more action-oriented, sort of like how Alien was a horror movie and Aliens had more action), but it was still a welcome extension of the story and universe. A lot of the themes from the first film were explored further, such as family, sacrifice, adversity, and finding hope. I also liked that while post-apocalyptic fiction's favorite trope "humans are the real monsters" was given some screen time, the movie didn't go down the obvious route of having Cillian Murphy's character be a monster. Instead, his character's journey is regaining his hope after losing his entire family. There were some nicely tense scenes, a few heartwarming ones, and the action sequences were suitably exciting. The visuals were also good.

All in all, a good movie and a worthy sequel.

Also Emily Blunt is so hot.

The Night House

I liked it. Didn't love it. It's an exploration of grief and depression, with a woman dealing with the sudden death of her husband, only with a supernatural twist. And...I don't often say this, but I wish it left out the supernatural.

The movie does a fantastic job of building tension and can be deeply unsettling at times. Rebecca Hall puts on a HELL of a performance, especially in the scenes where it's just her for long periods. She owns this movie.

But where the movie is INCREDIBLE strong in portraying a woman's grief and depression, I feel like the supernatural elements get in the way of it. The mystery behind her husbands death mostly makes sense, but it's not really well executed.

If someone were to rewrite this and ditch all the supernatural elements altogether, I think it could have been an even stronger story. Even keep most of the elements and make it more vague, to make you think it's all in her head. Most of the allusions to depression could stay.

I feel like I'm being harder on it than I really am. I liked it a lot. But I really think making it a straight drama, without the supernatural elements, would have worked better here.

Last edited: