[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

If I'm going to be honest, I've always viewed Jackass as the non-nihilistic response to Fight Club's "destruction of the self." In Fight Club, everyone's kicking each other's ass because they view both each other's and their own life as meaningless, so the only act of any meaning is to reduce each other to nothing. Jackass flips that: everyone has inherent worth and your friends are there with you, so when you debase or reduce yourself to nothing for the mere act of amusing yourself and others, it's a celebration of life and simply being alive. We cheer because it's the stupidest shit and that's funny, but also because we admire the sheer lengths and creativity they will go to in order to deliver a mere dick joke... and because we all realize none of this would be funny if someone died doing it.

To put it simply, Jackass is life affirming. It's something I watch when I'm having an especially dark day and need a reminder that sometimes just enduring is a victory.

I have literally never enjoyed a single Jackass episode or movie.
"People unintentionally getting hurt because of a dumb move", sure. "People getting hurt as karma for trying to be a jackass to others"? Sure, the more the merrier. "People deliberately hurting themselves in the most stupid ways possible"? Just not my idea of a good time.
I mean, obviously I'm not going to be watching this movie, and to each their own, happy you enjoyed it.
It's just a type of...humor? I guess? that just does not click with me at all.
If you don't like that stuff you won't like the films. No question. This film can only be enjoyed by people who find that kind of thing funny.

GasBandit

Staff member
I generally found the public prank parts the most enjoyable Jackass bits (like the dude chasing the midget down the street, both naked, screaming "GET BACK HERE"). The pain stuff was sometimes good, sometimes couldn't watch... but the moment anything involving excrement came up, I was OUT.

Like that one where they locked Johnny in a full-to-overflowing outhouse and then turned it upside down with him still inside?

:puke:

I generally found the public prank parts the most enjoyable Jackass bits (like the dude chasing the midget down the street, both naked, screaming "GET BACK HERE"). The pain stuff was sometimes good, sometimes couldn't watch... but the moment anything involving excrement came up, I was OUT.

Like that one where they locked Johnny in a full-to-overflowing outhouse and then turned it upside down with him still inside?

:puke:
The new outhouse was fake poop for the intro.

I really enjoyed the movie. I went with the two friends that I've seen every Jackass in theaters with and it might not be as gut bustingly funny as older stuff, but it still felt nice to me. Very comfortable.

Gulping pig semen made me gag though, that was the too far moment for my stomach.

I hope Johnny Knoxville never takes another bump of any type for the rest of his life. Go relax Johnny. It was nice that Chris Raab got himself cleaned up and out of the Bammosphere of ruined people. I love the joke he made in the credits about not being stupid enough to be in front of the camera anymore.

Ok I understand it holds a lot of nostalgia being the home planet of both Anakin and Luke, but does EVERY new Star Wars show have to have Tatooine?

There are rumors that instead of the Rangers of the New Republic, they are instead going to give Cobb Vanth his own show setup off the Book of Boba Fett. However, we know a lot of the next show, Obi-Wan Kenobi, is going to take place on Tatooine too, for obvious reasons. Hoping the next season of Mandalorian and the upcoming Ahsoka show can travel to other places around the galaxy more often.

Ok I understand it holds a lot of nostalgia being the home planet of both Anakin and Luke, but does EVERY new Star Wars show have to have Tatooine?

There are rumors that instead of the Rangers of the New Republic, they are instead going to give Cobb Vanth his own show setup off the Book of Boba Fett. However, we know a lot of the next show, Obi-Wan Kenobi, is going to take place on Tatooine too, for obvious reasons. Hoping the next season of Mandalorian and the upcoming Ahsoka show can travel to other places around the galaxy more often.
Considering the Ahsoka show is supposed to be dealing with the fallout of the finale of Rebels, it's unlikely she's going to Tatooine any time soon.

Watching Vivarium for the 2nd time. This movie really gives me the feel of 50's rea sci-fi. Not in the production values, which are great, but in the fact that it's kind of experimental outside of the box storytelling that doesn't hew to the blockbuster formula. It's dark, messy, and makes you think about it long after you've watched it. It tells a whole story but doesn't try to wrap everything up, leaving plenty of mystery and questions for your brain to chew on.

Last edited:
Watching Viarium for the 2nd time. This movie really gives me the feel of 50's rea sci-fi. Not in the production values, which are great, but in the fact that it's kind of experimental outside of the box storytelling that doesn't hew to the blockbuster formula. It's dark, messy, and makes you think about it long after you've watched it. It tells a whole story but doesn't try to wrap everything up, leaving plenty of mystery and questions for your brain to chew on.
Vivarium?

Raya and the Last Dragon

Yeah I stopped this forty minutes in, some of the worst pacing I've ever seen, the characters feel really static with no interesting dialogue, and the plot seems basic as all hell.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Emrys and I finally got around to seeing Encanto this past weekend. Eh, it was ok. But I felt more kindly toward it for the meta reasons that Luisa merch is flying off the shelf while Isabella merch goes stale.

Raya and the Last Dragon

Yeah I stopped this forty minutes in, some of the worst pacing I've ever seen, the characters feel really static with no interesting dialogue, and the plot seems basic as all hell.
We watched it completely, and weren't exactly overwhelmed either. It doesn't really get any better on the aspects you mention.

Just finished it because I'm obsessive and need to finish things(that and the animation was gorgeous) and MAN-
the part where Namaari said Raya was just as responsible for Sisu's death without even a HINT of an apology pissed me off. Like...no, you were the one pointing the crossbow in the first place, Raya made a hasty judgement call sure, but MAYBE she shouldn't have pointed a LITERAL gun in the first place.

Honestly I didn't mind Raya that much, but it did have two big issues.

The pacing is just breakneck, they throw a new character(s) at you every region with only enough time to get a general idea of them. When they reached Spine and recruit the old warrior dude, they go right from him threatening to torture them to one of the gang to dashing right into the climax. It's exhausting.

The second issue was the moral, Trust. Namaari, at the very beginning while they were kids, TOOK ADVANTAGE of Raya's trust to try and steal the Dragon Gem, leading to the total destruction of her home and the loss of her father. Sorry, but that isn't something you just chalk up to a little trust issue. You have a trusting little girl lose everything she cared about because she tried trusting another little girl, and then spend the rest of the movie beating us over the head that Raya has trust issues and needs to lighten up. What? What infuriated me, is it would have taken a SINGLE change to actually reflect the moral they were going for. Namaari didn't want the gem, and honestly just wanted to geek out about dragons with Raya, only for the mother to send her goons to follow them. When the goons attack, Raya assumes Namaari was at fault and won't listen to her pleas of innocence, leading to the falling out and all the events of the movie. This can then actually come full circle to Raya realizing her own fault in her assumptions and give her trust to Namaari. Yes, it's cliché, but at least it WORKS as a narrative better then what we got in the end.

Dave

Staff member
Emrys and I finally got around to seeing Encanto this past weekend. Eh, it was ok. But I felt more kindly toward it for the meta reasons that Luisa merch is flying off the shelf while Isabella merch goes stale.
I can’t get over how catchy but CRUEL “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is. And at one point in the background Bruno is dancing with them in the shadows.

I can’t get over how catchy but CRUEL “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is. And at one point in the background Bruno is dancing with them in the shadows.
I saw someone say that the real villain is the cousin who clearly knows he's still there because she hears everything but doesn't tell anyone.

GasBandit

Staff member
I saw someone say that the real villain is the cousin who clearly knows he's still there because she hears everything but doesn't tell anyone.
I kind of had that thought as well, but then I remembered until the end of the movie he didn't want to be found. Maybe she heard him talking to the rats and saying so, so she kept it to herself, thinking it was well enough that he was safe at home.

In a lot of ways, Dolores' "gift" feels like more curse than blessing. This poor girl hears pretty much everything since she was 5, even stuff she may never have wanted to know, but had to learn about when to respect privacy, when to share, and filtering out things that may hurt her feelings, or other people's. She seems pretty well-adjusted, in spite of it.

I kind of had that thought as well, but then I remembered until the end of the movie he didn't want to be found. Maybe she heard him talking to the rats and saying so, so she kept it to herself, thinking it was well enough that he was safe at home.
Someone on Twitter suggested she listened in on his Telenova stories performed by his rats and didn't want him to stop because she became invested in the characters.

And that's my head canon now.

Edit: Ah ha, here we are:

GasBandit

Staff member
She mentions at the end of the last song that she heard him and was trying to tell people. But she whispers and everyone ignores her.
Eh, to me it came off as more of a "I knew it all along, it's no big deal, didn't even seem like worth mentioning until now" type thing.

I didn't know where else to put this video essay, but I loved The Matrix Resurrections, and I felt Inside on a spiritual level that I can't describe to people without getting a wellness check called on me, so an essay covering both of them is always going to interest me.

And I posted my thoughts on both in this thread, so here is where I post this.

Batman: Soul of the Dragon

Caught this animated film on TV. It's not bad. The animation is passable, the storyline is interesting, and the voice acting is pretty good. It's a showcase of the greatest martial artists of the DC universe, and it does a good job at that. Though it also feels like it craps all over canon, and despite having Batman in the title it seems like he's just a passenger in someone else's story at times. Still, it was entertaining.

Also, Lady Shiva is hot in both appearance and voice.

Batman: Soul of the Dragon

Caught this animated film on TV. It's not bad. The animation is passable, the storyline is interesting, and the voice acting is pretty good. It's a showcase of the greatest martial artists of the DC universe, and it does a good job at that. Though it also feels like it craps all over canon, and despite having Batman in the title it seems like he's just a passenger in someone else's story at times. Still, it was entertaining.

Also, Lady Shiva is hot in both appearance and voice.
If you want to see an awesome animated Batman film you should see Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Finally actually FINISHED Eternals.
It was definitely one of the weaker Marvel movies, and I think part of that was it tried too hard to have too much, like too many flashbacks, one "villain" too many, too many heroes in general, etc.

Like, I didn't see any point to the modern Deviants. While the first like ten minutes are about finding and stopping the Deviants, it very quickly goes into saving Earth from the Emergence and the Deviants just kind of become a side problem. When Ikarus betrayed them it felt like the Deviants were entirely supplanted, so much so that I actually laughed when the one alpha Deviant kind of wanders onto the beach during the climax to just sort of be like "Hey I was supposed to be the bad guy! No fair!" and promptly dies.

In the end, I enjoyed the movie, but only as I enjoy all movies, for some brain dead spectacle, but it won't be anything I go out of my way to watch a second time.

Finally actually FINISHED Eternals.
It was definitely one of the weaker Marvel movies, and I think part of that was it tried too hard to have too much, like too many flashbacks, one "villain" too many, too many heroes in general, etc.

Like, I didn't see any point to the modern Deviants. While the first like ten minutes are about finding and stopping the Deviants, it very quickly goes into saving Earth from the Emergence and the Deviants just kind of become a side problem. When Ikarus betrayed them it felt like the Deviants were entirely supplanted, so much so that I actually laughed when the one alpha Deviant kind of wanders onto the beach during the climax to just sort of be like "Hey I was supposed to be the bad guy! No fair!" and promptly dies.

In the end, I enjoyed the movie, but only as I enjoy all movies, for some brain dead spectacle, but it won't be anything I go out of my way to watch a second time.
I kind of feel like if we got one episode per an Eternal, this would have been fine as a series on Disney+.