[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I got done watching "Cherry" last night. Russo Bros directed, starring Thom Holland. Definitely a slow burn, and I'd more melancholy than depressing, a little long. but the story's good. Thom was great. I know some people here can stand to watch 'depressing' movies, but to everyone else, give it a shot.

Friday the 13th Part 7
Friday the 13th Part 8
Jason Goes to Hell
Friday the 13th (2009 remake)

I'll just lump these all together since they're all basically the same kind of movie (although Jason Goes to Hell is kind of an outlier there; it's weird).

So I've mentioned on here before that every October, I tend to do "Nicktoberfest," where I watch as many horror movies as I can in the month; usually a minimum of one per evening. I haven't been very consistent with it, but it's just a personal thing, so not a big deal. Anyway, since a lot of people start thinking about and decorating for Halloween as soon as September 1, I decided to start Nicktoberfest a month early jut for the hell of it.

Anyway, last year I got a giant box set of the Friday the 13th series. I watched most of it last year, but I think it was just a little too much to watch all in one go and never finished it. I'd jumped ahead and watched Freddy vs Jason and Jason X with some friends, so I skipped those for now, but never finished off the set until last night.

And they're...I mean, I grew up on slashers like Jason, Freddy, Chucky, etc. They're my favourite subgenre of horror. But I wouldn't rank any of the Friday the 13th's as "great" films. I wouldn't even rank any of them among my all-time favourite horror movies. The characters are rarely anything beyond two-dimensional. They're glorified bowling pins for Jason, who's looking to roll a strike.

But I still have a soft spot for them. Some of the kills are excellent, using practical effects (except the remake, which employs a CGI frigging machete at times). Although I was disappointed to learn many of those practical effects were edited down or out and copies of those scenes aren't even available anymore to be reinserted in new editions.

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I always preferred Jason as the undead juggernaut in Parts 6 through 10. In the remake, he's a beefy dude, but like a crazed survivalist. Which actually kind of works, but I always liked the undead juggernaut. It's more fun to me. Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan is my personal favourite, even though 6 is probably the best of all of them. But 8 is my personal preference because it's one of the few VHS tapes I owned when I was younger.

Rewatching Jason Goes to Hell for the first time in well over a decade was weird, especially watching it alongside all the others in a short amount of time. It has some AMAZING Cronenberg-like body horror. It also would've been a much better movie if it wasn't tied with the Jason franchise. Making Jason this weird body-swapping demon thing just doesn't work at all. And I have to wonder if there's another, better movie buried under this if it was its own original thing.

Anyway, that's my rant. I might rewatch Freddy vs Jason because that movie rocks. Not sure what I'll watch next for Nicktoberfest now that I'm done the Jason set. I spotted all four Insidious movies on Netflix, so I'll probably give those a go. Of course, there are the usual annual picks of my all-time favourites like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Trick R Treat, Tales From the Crypt Demon Knight, and Cabin in the Woods.

Just came back from seeing Malignant. I dug the hell out of it. Fantastic direction and amazing shots, as always, from James Wan and some deeply unsettling scenes. Great new monster who I hope we'll see again. They should join the iconic ranks with Freddy, Jason, Chucky, etc.

I have some minor criticisms and nitpicks. The more I think about the logistics of certain things, the less they make sense. Why the monster did this or why this happens, that sort of thing. Largely nitpicks or criticisms based on the internal logic of what the movie set up.

But they're minor at best. If you love horror movies, you should definitely go see this.

Ready or Not.

This is NOT, based on the Canadian teen drama series.

Let me iterate, NOT based on the Canadian teen drama series.

Let me REITERATE, NOT BASED ON THE CANADIAN TEEN DRAMA SERIES!!!!

:aaah: :aaah: :aaah: :hide::aaah::aaah::aaah:

Dave

Staff member
Prisoners of the Ghostland

This is the movie that Nic Cage calls "the wildest movie I've ever made". This from a guy who has done some weird shit. And now has done MORE weird shit.

PotG is a very strange movie. I wasn't overly fond of it as it's very weird and disjointed. It's a mix of Japanese and English so you have to keep your subtitles on. It looks to be retro but then people have new cell phones. It looks to be Japanese but it's also...a western? There's a lot of unexplained shit going on that makes little to no sense. People's allegiances change on a whim for no good reason. There are songs that come out of nowhere. (No, it's not a musical, but the songs are there for atmosphere.)

There are a few moments that are good that I won't get in to. But this movie - to me - is just a bad jumble of crap thrown together. It's a spectacle for the sake of being a spectacle. The plot is pretty typical and I'm not giving anything away by saying it's a "girl missing, go get girl you dirty convict and we'll set you free" kind of movie. Nothing new.

So I give this one a solid 4/10 for the spectacle. But that's about it. Some of you might REALLY like it. But not this guy.

It's a spectacle for the sake of being a spectacle.
This has been my complaint for a lot of movies' sins over the last decade or two, style being prioritized over substance because that's supposedly what gets butts in seats.
I feel like some show parodied this with something like: "Explosions!: The Movie" but I don't know which.

--Patrick

Malignant - Who cares about the plot holes? I don't remember being that excited for a third act in a horror movie in years. Like, literally sitting with my jaw dropped for ten minutes straight.

Color Out of Space - Speaking of Nic Cage, holy cow. Great horror movie. Beautiful to look at, except when it's not. He uses his crazy to great effect here, only pulling it out where it fits.

Dune.
The only downside to this movie is that the second part hasn't already been filmed. Go see it.
I'll try to post something more in depth tomorrow, but, as a long time major Herbert fan, despite quite some liberties with the material, this is the movie I was looking for.

Reactions: Far
Right. So.
This is by no means a perfect movie, nor is it a perfect rendition of the book. But most of the changes are understandable or ended up not bothering me as much as I expected.
Some of the casting choice have been criticized for stupid political reasons. Liet Keynes being a black woman instead of a white guy has zero impact on anything. The book was written in the '60s, and it shows; that both major cultures (Imperial and Fremen) are based on/heavily influenced by patriarchal societies on Earth (feudal/Christian with some Muslim influence for one, Buddhist-Muslim for the other) is a valid choice but it does mean in modern views the story suffers. Women were given power but aren't in the spotlight in the book(s) and this mostly remains true. Liet being female might make it harder to swallow for some that she would gain the influence she has etc etc, but that's only an issue if a) you include a lot more info than is presented in the movie (and book - you'd need info from the prequels and sequels) , and b) if you think patriarchal views now are the same as those in the 101th century. I personally really like Jason Momoa, though his choice for Duncan Idaho is a bit baffling - in the books he's described as slender and agile, the best fighter around because of tactics and smarts and technique, bot because of strength. He does indeed fight like that, and Momoa somehow even sells it, but I don't quite understand why you'd cast someone so muscled to then mostly hide it.
All of the major characters' actors perform really well, in my mind. Some don't get a lot to work with (Tufir Hawat and Gurney Halleck, like in the 1982 movie, are mostly there to tick off their name from the list...But their characters simply don't do much in the first book, either, they're only made ever more important looking back in later books and the prequels), but really, everyone acts well. I was hesitant about Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica but she won me over. Timotée Chalamet as Paul is a really good choice. He's presented as a slender 17-year old in the books, that most people tend to think of him as bigger and stronger is because, well, people like to think of heroes and big and strong 25 year old guys. He's not, and he really brings the character to life. Perhaps the weakest acting of the major players comes from the Duke.

Anyway, good-to-stellar performances by everyone.

Moving on....
Something that concerned me in the trailers were the still suits - open faces, just a small tube in the nose. In the movie, pretty much all Fremen consistently wear their face covers all the time, it's just the main characters who have the face mask down to talk. It's a necessity to see facial expressions and emotions, but I think it's handled fairly well. In some other versions it was presented as if everyone just had a little tube running to heir nose, now it's shown to be more in the background and we're just expected to look past it. I personally prefer it that way, others might disagree.
Some stylistic choices are a bit weird. Why an ornithopter suddenly flies like a dragonfly instead of a bird (you know, orni- and all that), don't ask me - it makes for nice visuals, but it's just as technically stupid. Why the Atreides crest has changed from a stylized eagle head to something I can barely recognize? Not a clue. Are the eyes blue enough? They're not as blue as they're described in the books, but, again, that's a choice to keep acting and facial expressions possible. These are the sort of things that might bother me...If the movie hadn't sucked me in in other ways. Which it does.
Some other choices really do work as I imagine them to. Shields, fighting styles, etc do follow the books quite closely. The Bene Gesserit portrayal as well.

The cinematography and visuals are great. Most stylistic choices really work well and show Villeneuve or the art department or whoever made the choices really understood the material they were working with. The atmosphere works and the difference between the different planets is clear (with a bit of overuse of the orange/blue filters, possibly, but...well, you've got a desert planet and a water planet, what are you going to do?).
The story isn't rushed. It's about 2h30 of movie, and still many scenes have been cut or adapted to shorten them, combined together, etc. Some characters get reduced to nearly nothing (poor Shadout Mapes...And, again, Gurney might as well not be here) but they managed not to make an incoherent mess - instead, the time is taken to allow quiet moments between action and let characters reflect and the visuals to speak. I don't think a single thing is incomprehensible to people haven't read the books.

Somehow this sounds more critical than I want it to be. The cinematography, the visuals, the soundscape, the acting, the style, the pacing, it all helped to draw me in and keep me locked into the movie. I've seen plenty of comparisons to Star Wars, of course, but it actually felt much closer to Lawrence of Arabia for me. This movie tries to find a balance between being thoughtful and visually impressive and an action spectacle...I don't think this will have the mass appeal of Star Wars (let alone modern-day SW), it's too slow and expansive for that, more "old school Star Trek" than "modern scifi", but it's easily the best movie (for my type of person) that I've seen all year.

We don’t get Dune until October 22 here in the states.
I never understood non-global releases at the best of times, and certainly not now in the digital age, but...why the crap wait that long, especially with the US behind Europe? That's just setting it up to be massively pirated and fail.

I never understood non-global releases at the best of times, and certainly not now in the digital age, but...why the crap wait that long, especially with the US behind Europe? That's just setting it up to be massively pirated and fail.
It’s a theater release and streaming on HBO Max the same day.

So I just watched The Lighthouse (2019) for the first time.

I'm...not sure if I liked it. I appreciate it for what it did or attempted. Filming in black & white, box-like ratio, extremely well acted, every shot is amazing, and I dug the Prometheus-like allegories.

But...it really drags at a snail's pace. I appreciated it from a film and artistic perspective, but I found it difficult to stay engaged with. I kept pausing to look at my phone.

It's one of those things where I can appreciate it for everything it did and can acknowledge it's a great movie, but for my own personal tastes, I don't know if it was my thing. Glad I finally watched it but probably won't watch it again.

Dave

Staff member
Free Guy

Holy fucking shit. I thought I'd like this movie but I didn't. I fucking LOVED this movie! If you are a gamer and are into the world of Twitch/YouTube/Whatever, this movie was basically made for you. It's got a very predictable ending, but I didn't care. You read that right, I didn't care that the ending was predictable. It was just an all around funny movie. There were three or four parts where I genuinely laughed out loud, something I almost never do in movies. And there's this fight scene that had me rolling and would have been worth the price of admission.

See this movie.

Free Guy

Holy fucking shit. I thought I'd like this movie but I didn't. I fucking LOVED this movie! If you are a gamer and are into the world of Twitch/YouTube/Whatever, this movie was basically made for you. It's got a very predictable ending, but I didn't care. You read that right, I didn't care that the ending was predictable. It was just an all around funny movie. There were three or four parts where I genuinely laughed out loud, something I almost never do in movies. And there's this fight scene that had me rolling and would have been worth the price of admission.

See this movie.
I enjoyed the movie. It didn't have me rolling in the aisles the way the first Ace Ventura did (by way of comparison) but it was a fun little popcorn flick with some genuine chuckles. It was fairly predictable, but these things don't generally bother me. I didn't go into it expecting a groundbreaking, trope-busting cinematic masterpiece. And unlike Wonder Woman 84, the first 10 minutes didn't have me complaining "this is cheesy and dumb as shit".

I rewatched Phantom Menace for the first time in 20 years. I wanted to keep an open mind and considered its impact and influence in the late '90s. People hadn't seen an original Star Wars movie since the Ewok Adventure films from the '80s. I remember the hype that built up for a year before release. The Weird Al music video, that podracer arcade game, the Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron 3D, and every official update and unofficial rumor. YouTube didn't exist; if you missed the special early TV spot you just hoped that one of your friends recorded it. IMDb was still in its infancy so it was extremely difficult to verify if the rumors were true or not. We didn't care. We just got swept up in the excitement. This was during the height of the Dot-Com Bubble so the dot-coms got in on the hype as well.

With that in mind, I don't hate Phantom Menace anymore. The graphics aren't bad for 1999. Jake Lloyd is annoying but it's not his fault the script was terrible. As much as I loathe Jar Jar, I understand he was put in for the kids. After all, I loved the Ewoks when I was a toddler but I can only imagine how Gen Xers felt about them.

Truth be told, I miss the late '90s and very early '00s. We never got that optimism back. The dot-coms crashed in March 2000 and then 9/11 made everything weirdly patriotic.

I rewatched Phantom Menace for the first time in 20 years. I wanted to keep an open mind and considered its impact and influence in the late '90s. People hadn't seen an original Star Wars movie since the Ewok Adventure films from the '80s. I remember the hype that built up for a year before release. The Weird Al music video, that podracer arcade game, the Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron 3D, and every official update and unofficial rumor. YouTube didn't exist; if you missed the special early TV spot you just hoped that one of your friends recorded it. IMDb was still in its infancy so it was extremely difficult to verify if the rumors were true or not. We didn't care. We just got swept up in the excitement. This was during the height of the Dot-Com Bubble so the dot-coms got in on the hype as well.

With that in mind, I don't hate Phantom Menace anymore. The graphics aren't bad for 1999. Jake Lloyd is annoying but it's not his fault the script was terrible. As much as I loathe Jar Jar, I understand he was put in for the kids. After all, I loved the Ewoks when I was a toddler but I can only imagine how Gen Xers felt about them.

Truth be told, I miss the late '90s and very early '00s. We never got that optimism back. The dot-coms crashed in March 2000 and then 9/11 made everything weirdly patriotic.
I’m a Gen Xer, I enjoyed Phantom Menace for being new Star Wars that I could share with my then 6yo daughter. I had a much different experience for my first time seeing the movie than most people had. We were a decent sized sponsor for a sci-fi/comic convention in the Dallas area, we rented out a screen in Plano and had what was effectively a private screening with many stars from the OT. Peter Mayhew, Jeremy Bulloch, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, and many others. A very special night that I was able to share with my immediate family and my convention family.

I remember going to the very first Star Wars Celebration that was held in Denver that year just before The Phantom Menace came out. We got to see a bunch of props from the film and that was very exciting for me.
My favorite story from the convention was when Anthony Daniels was told by security he needed a pass to enter the hall, and a bunch of fans had to come to his rescue and say "this is C-3PO!".

I'm a Gen X-er (twelve when RotJ came out) and I loved the Ewoks. They were so cute! And little badasses! There was a lot of satisfaction in the primitive Ewoks taking down the Empire's forces with rocks and logs.

Since I revised my opinion of Phantom Menace to something more charitable, I thought I'd try Attack of the Clones. I fondly remember the pre-release buildup, especially that Triumph sketch on Conan where he visits a line of fans who were camped outside a theater. It was around this time that the Quicktime site released trailers and TV spots online, so my dorm friends and I spent many happy evenings watching all of them. Wizards of the Coast also published a new Star Wars RPG and my D&D friends started a campaign set in the Old Republic. I associate that movie with my college buddies. Happy times.

Then I started to rewatch it tonight so I could view it without nostalgia-tinted glasses. I still love the clone troopers, and I appreciate AotC for providing the material for the Clone Wars series. I hate the rest of it.

The graphics did not age well at all. They weren't impressive even in 2002, and now they look like PS2 or Gamecube cutscenes. Now that I think about it, the first Spider-Man movie came out around the same time and it also had sub-par graphics. The tedious political discussions also drag AotC down, and the ridiculous settings like the '50s diner and sports bar just don't seem to fit. Finally, Anakin's whining gets on my nerves now.

Boss Level

Discovered this on a whim from skimming through IMDB stuff. I saw the director also did Smoking Aces, which I recall digging when it first came out.

It's another time loop movie, with a guy trying to survive assassins coming at him left, right, and center. Good comedy, good action, and a lot of fun. Nothing spectacular, but just good fun. The final loop day pays off a lot in terms of the action. Plus, it stars Frank "MCU'S Crossbones" Grillo, who really sells it. It feels like it kind of wastes some actors, though. Ken Jeong is in it, but barely does anything interesting.

Still, it's on Amazon Prime if you have that. I'm sure it'll be available elsewhere in the future. I wouldn't go out of your way to see it, but if you happen to stumble across it if you're surfing through a streaming app and can't decide what else to watch, I say give it a go.

Boss Level

Discovered this on a whim from skimming through IMDB stuff. I saw the director also did Smoking Aces, which I recall digging when it first came out.

It's another time loop movie, with a guy trying to survive assassins coming at him left, right, and center. Good comedy, good action, and a lot of fun. Nothing spectacular, but just good fun. The final loop day pays off a lot in terms of the action. Plus, it stars Frank "MCU'S Crossbones" Grillo, who really sells it. It feels like it kind of wastes some actors, though. Ken Jeong is in it, but barely does anything interesting.

Still, it's on Amazon Prime if you have that. I'm sure it'll be available elsewhere in the future. I wouldn't go out of your way to see it, but if you happen to stumble across it if you're surfing through a streaming app and can't decide what else to watch, I say give it a go.
I don't think it is available on prime in the US yet. Color me interested, though.