[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Warcraft: The Beginning.

Review in one word: eeeeeeeehhhhhhh

Review in three words: okay-ish I guess.

This movie is completely and utterly forgettable. It does nothing really interesting with the lore, or the effects, or the characters.

Warcraft: The Beginning.

Review in one word: eeeeeeeehhhhhhh

Review in three words: okay-ish I guess.

This movie is completely and utterly forgettable. It does nothing really interesting with the lore, or the effects, or the characters.
I kind of detest the Warcraft movie, but it's for none of those reasons... it's because movie executives point to it as a proof that Americans are too "picky" about movies because it made like 8x as much internationally as it did domestically. Nevermind it was "technically" a Chinese production...

I found the WarCraft movie okay entertainment, but because I have never played WoW (just WC I-III), I'm sure I missed lots of references that would've engrossed me more.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I skipped it. I learned my lesson about video game movies with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. You'd have thought Super Mario Brothers would have done the trick, but I was too young for it to really seem so awful.

Spirits Within was a beautiful movie, it was just thin on plot (at least for Western audiences...sober ones, anyway).
WarCraft had plenty of plot, but suffered from having so many individual plot points shoehorned in that they just HAD to cover.
As for Mario Brothers, well, I haven't seen it and am not sure I ever will.

--Patrick

You'd have thought Super Mario Brothers would have done the trick, but I was too young for it to really seem so awful.
This was entirely the fault of studio mismanagement: they completely changed the original script (which was apparently actually quite good) and turned it into... what we got. Everyone making the movie HATED it, actively, while making it because it was so off the mark.

The upcoming film by Illumination apparently has Miyamoto involved actively, so it's probably going to be at least in the right wheelhouse... we'll see if it's also "good".

Imo, I think Dective Pikachu has been the best thus far. It's not deep, plot-wise, but it manages to stay true to the feeling of the game, pretty good quality effects/animation and entertaining enough for multiple viewings. We watched Sonic a while back, and while it wasn't bad, I thought it was kinda boring. It felt a little too "try-hard" with the jokes and not enough plot.
So it seems like adaptations are getting better, but not what I'd call "great" yet.

Detective Pikachu and the recent Tomb Raider movie are probably the ones I'd pick as the best video game movies. Still not great cinema, but I'd call them good films.

Also the two Angry Birds movies are guilty pleasures of mine.

Also I really appreciate Advent Children for its beautifully animated Tifa.

Detective Pikachu and the recent Tomb Raider movie are probably the ones I'd pick as the best video game movies. Still not great cinema, but I'd call them good films.

Also the two Angry Birds movies are guilty pleasures of mine.

Also I really appreciate Advent Children for its beautifully animated Tifa.
I have a soft spot for the animated Street Fighter II movie from the mid 90's. Again not what you'd call great cinema but definitely an entertaining watch.

No love for Silent Hill or Resident Evil, huh? I guess I'm the only one who loves dumb horror movies based on dumb horror games, which I also love.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen
The first was over-the-top weird. This one somehow out-did that.
It's fun. It's gory. It's a little bit much on the loony, but it probably would have been pretty bland without it.
B-

GasBandit

Staff member
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

Eh, it was ok.

If you are an ardent fan of the view askewniverse, you will like it. I did like how much self-deprecating meta humor there was at Kevin Smith's expense.

Also the meta within a meta humor about how much Kevin Smith's daughter looks like Jason Mewes.

Based on this movie alone, I'm surprised Angelina Jolie was never cast as an elf in a fantasy movie like LOTR, and/or a Vulcan in Star Trek.

figmentPez

Staff member
Pets United on Netflix

From the opening monologue I knew this was going to be bad. I made it 28 minutes in before I couldn't even stand it as background noise. This is bad. There were things to like about The Secret Life of Pets. The writing in Pets United is painful to listen to. It's stilted and awkward, and I just can't stomach any more of it. Stay away from this movie.

Enola Holmes was a great movie to watch with the family. It really did make me miss Sherlock. Hopefully this isn’t the last Enola movie to come out.

Murder Mystery (2019) (Netflix)

An Adam Sandler comedy I didn't hate? This is basically a spoof on Murder on the Orient Express, except the people investigating the crime are a shabby police Sergent (Adam Sandler) and his hair dresser wife (Jennifer Aniston), who get involved with the whole mess when they go to Europe for their anniversary. It's got a lot of Sandler's typical humor (2nd Goat actually got me laughing hard) but takes itself serious enough that the entire movie isn't a farce, as well as having a halfway decent car chase. It's not going to win any awards and fairly typical for Sandler's late career fare, but I had a good time. Solid B-.

Superman: Brainiac Attacks

Just a fun "Superman Animated" based Superman movie. GRANTED its not a FULL cast reunion as they didn't get Corey Burton or Clancy Brown to reprise their roles, but it was still fun.

Since my family is always home now, I can't watch my horror movies while working (setting a bad example and all that), but my wife suggested watching on my phone at my desk, which was a capital idea. As such:

Galaxy of Terror: Mostly bad. As I age I find a lot of horror movies are ruined by unnecessary nudity and sexual violence. This one wasn't ruined because it wasn't good, but serves as an egregious example.
The Brood: Much better. Very gross. I'm a big of Oliver Reed chewing scenery in horror.
Scanners: Somehow I've never seen this beyond the gifs, which take place almost right away. Another perfect background movie for working.

Not quite appropriate just yet as I'll be waiting for 4 to 7 business days but . . . . *does the thumb nose rub* HIIIIIYAHHH!!!!

Vampires Vs The Bronx (Netflix, 2020)

A bunch of blood sucking leeches are buying up all the buildings in the Bronx and forcing out the current residents, through ether buyouts, rent increases, or violence, and it's up to Miguel (aka Little Mayor) and his friends to protect their neighborhood from this unwanted invasion. There are also vampires in this movie. :troll:

Okay, but seriously... this is a surprisingly good low budget feature. All the actors are believable, it's not afraid to be comedic when it needs to be, but it also never becomes outright farcical. The weaknesses of vampires come up (including one I'd never heard of) and actually add some dramatic tension to the film. This has strong Attack the Block vibes (in fact, something like this was my idea for a sequel to that):

- The kids know the cops aren't going to help because the vampires are rich and white
- Tony knows that no one will care if they go missing (Because they are from the Bronx)
- The vampires are an (obvious) metaphor for outside forces affecting the neighborhood in a way that can only be combated by the community coming together.

This is just a fun little movie for anybody that likes schlocky horror/monster movies and isn't afraid to have some jokes in them, while also having some nice commentary on gentrification. I had a great time. B+, would watch again.

- The vampires are an (obvious) metaphor for outside forces affecting the neighborhood in a way that can only be combated by the community coming together.
I remember reading a story online a number of years ago that was very similar, except that the “neighborhood” the vampires were taking over was Washington, D.C. It was played more like Blade plus They Live, though.

—Patrick

Save Yourselves
A couple goes off the grid just as aliens attack the Earth.
I really enjoy the couple chemistry of lead actors Sunita Mani and John Paul Reynolds, but this is not a movie for anyone hoping for a good mix of horror in their comedy. It's mostly just a couple's comedy, but with a survival aspect to it. Not much more there. I give it a C.
It also ends kinda ambiguously depressive too.