[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Did anyone see Toy Story 4 yet?

I'm super on the fence because I thought 3 ended the series so well but it's been getting stellar reviews.

Did anyone see Toy Story 4 yet?

I'm super on the fence because I thought 3 ended the series so well but it's been getting stellar reviews.
Li'l Z and I saw it opening day. He loved it, and I had a really good time. I wouldn't say it's as perfect as Toy Story 3, but it was a strong chapter in the series. It's funny, it's poignant and it doesn't drag.

I didn't care for Toy Story 3. I think it's b/c I didn't have an emotional attachment to the characters. I still think part 1 is pretty amazing though. I had colleagues and professors tell me that they cried during part 3. I can wait for DVD for pt 4, but we might take the kids after all the hoopla.

I didn't care for Toy Story 3. I think it's b/c I didn't have an emotional attachment to the characters. I still think part 1 is pretty amazing though. I had colleagues and professors tell me that they cried during part 3. I can wait for DVD for pt 4, but we might take the kids after all the hoopla.
Are you... turning into Fade?

I saw Yesterday earlier, uh, today. It was a funny rom-com and good tribute to the Beatles. It’s a bit trite, but the cast is charming and the film is fun. I really enjoyed it.

Spider-Man: Far from Home was great. It needed to be lighter after Endgame I think and was just a lot of fun.

Mysterio should have indirectly killed Ned with the fire elemental in Prague and been there for Peter afterward. Then have everything play out as it did. Granted, make the bar scene less celebratory and more remorseful instead but otherwise the same overall from there.

It ties Mysterio pumping him up on the rooftop before that better. I absolutely think it works as is but I just wanted more punch. As I said, I totally get the tone following Endgame though.

The illusion stuff, when Beck really starts getting into it in Berlin and London, was stunning. I was worried because the elementals in the trailers, and even to a certain extent in the movie, felt a little cheap but they really nailed the hallucinatory, reality-bending possibilities of Beck's "powers" with those scenes and made them super polished.

As for post-credits, I'm interested in seeing how having his identity revealed plays out, as well as being framed for causing the attacks. Tying this credit scene to the first one was well done, with Peter taking May's place with the reveal. The nod to Jameson having propped up Mysterio in the comics was nice and no one can play him except JK Simmons so I loved that they got him back for the cameo.

I loved the Skrulls in Captain Marvel and Ben Mendelsohn is great as Talos. Him beating himself up over not recognizing the illusion was so well done. Having him cloaked as Fury the whole time makes a very oddly out of place and a suddenly out of character line about Captain Marvel and "Don't invoke that name." make so much more sense.

Can't wait to see where they go from here. I thought I was done after Endgame but I'll be honest, this pulled me right back in.

Last edited:
Spider-Man was great. I loved me the Spidered-Man.

Mysterio is my favourite villain and I'm glad he got a good treatment.

I had a great time seeing Far From Home last night, and it helped that the audience was really into it. Especially when the first end credits scene played. The crowd went nuts for both things! And they enjoyed the 2nd one as well, but that was more of a slow burn.

@Far :
I'm honestly glad they didn't kill Ned, since 1)like you said, we needed something lighter after Endgame, and 2) Peter was already dealing with so much after the loss of Tony and all the new responsibility dropped on him. I know traditionally Spider-Man is known for never catching a break, but like the movie reminds us, he's only 16 and already has so much on his plate. To me, it would have been too much for this movie.

Far From Home
Maybe it's just me, but I felt like Nick Fury was wildly out of character the way he was treating Peter Parker, so I was pretty glad when the second end credit scene popped up and it made me feel vindicated. :p

I had a great time seeing Far From Home last night, and it helped that the audience was really into it. Especially when the first end credits scene played. The crowd went nuts for both things! And they enjoyed the 2nd one as well, but that was more of a slow burn.

@Far :
I'm honestly glad they didn't kill Ned, since 1)like you said, we needed something lighter after Endgame, and 2) Peter was already dealing with so much after the loss of Tony and all the new responsibility dropped on him. I know traditionally Spider-Man is known for never catching a break, but like the movie reminds us, he's only 16 and already has so much on his plate. To me, it would have been too much for this movie.
I said as much to Sarah as we were leaving. If this was the comics Spider-Man, there is no question they'd have gone my route.

As is, it played out exactly as it needed to given where it sits in the timeline of the movies and their is nothing wrong with that.

It is still among my top 3 Marvel films, even with how it came together.

Far From Home
Maybe it's just me, but I felt like Nick Fury was wildly out of character the way he was treating Peter Parker, so I was pretty glad when the second end credit scene popped up and it made me feel vindicated. :p
Don't you invoke her name.

GasBandit

Staff member
Emrys and I saw Far From Home yesterday. It was really good. Though, I didn't know until afterwards that this was the first MCU movie she's seen. So uh... welp, Endgame spoiled, I guess!

So, like, how much Stark-Tech is in Spidey's suit this time?

(I'd really like the answer to be none at all; I fucking hated the suit in Homecoming)

Dave

Staff member
So, like, how much Stark-Tech is in Spidey's suit this time?

(I'd really like the answer to be none at all; I fucking hated the suit in Homecoming)
On the other hand,
Spider-man won a fight all on his own without Stark. First time in the MCU.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
Went into this unspoilt. Worth it.
First order of business: If you have not yet seen this movie, you should know ahead of time that you should probably NOT watch it if you are not sober. There are sad/emotional scenes unfit for weepy drunks, and there are spectacular image sequences that may be more than an unfolded mind should try to envelop in one go. Also be careful if you're epileptic.

Second order of business: THERE ARE SOOooOOO MANY EASTER EGGS. Seriously. And I'm not just talking about things like the movie posters in the background (From Dusk Til Shaun? Ha!), or the headlines on the papers, or the obligatory Stan Lee cameo (which is completely appropriate, btw). I'm talking about stuff you wouldn't even notice unless you happen to be a Spider-Fan all the way back to the early 70's. They even make an Electric Company reference, fer cryin' out loud!

On to the movie itself, then. It's a cartoon, and so it does cartoony things (playing fast and loose with reality/continuity at times in order to serve the plot) which is not unexpected. The movie style is very Borderlands-meets-Cloudy-With-a-Chance-of-Meatballs*, and is stylized yet kinetic. The different universes have different styles that contrast just enough against the mainstream 30fps-ness that they maintain their own identity without being too distracting. And they open with an ending that sets up just how different the rest of the movie is going to be from what you are probably expecting. Not to spoil things too much, but even though there are many Spider-Men(Mans?) in the movie, this is a movie about Miles and so tells Miles' story. His coming of age. His insecurities. His particular family spider-drama that inspires his career... Parker had his Uncle Ben moment, Miles has his...well, you'll see. His overall development is... rushed, but that's to be expected in order to fit it all into a 2hr movie. There's also a Dad/Mom/Miles/Uncle story being told which is surprisingly handled with respect and which adds more dimension (heh) to the film. I thought the casting choice for Aunt May was inspired (and not just because I guessed it right, either). My wife also loved the character design for Professor Trelockney.

A lot of tropes get subverted in this movie, and wonderfully so (The stair climb! OMG!). The cinematography is top-notch, the littlest things have meaning, and there are more than a few boomerangs. The narration/onomatopoeia bubbles really work (Bagel!). The music is new, but pulls enough from older stuff (either through sampling or outright quote) to bring some common ground between tweens and 40-somethings. The dialog is believable, as in I can see the characters saying these things, and I can see them saying them the way that they said them.

As a complete aside, I saw this right after seeing Detective Pikachu, which means, according to my wife, that I've now seen two movies in a row each featuring one of the main stars of The Get Down.

--Patrick
I wrote that before discovering that the machine from CWaCoM actually appears in the movie.

Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Holy hell what a crazy movie. I didn't know the director or his other movies. We started it thinking it was going to be a typical thriller. We were way wrong. Having seen all of Kubrick's stuff, it felt very Kubrick-eque. It certainly held my attention though I am not sure that I would recommend it unless you dig weird movies.

I'm not gonna use as many words as pat, but spiderverse was fantastic.

The one Easter egg I noticed that really made me happy was the clone high shoutout. That's so random I have to assume some people that made this worked on that show.

Transformers: The Last Knight

Objectively? This is a shit movie. Way too long and bloated, the plot doesn't make sense, there's very little continuity with the earlier films, there were a whole bunch of extraneous characters and plot threads, and some of the cast were clearly phoning it in.

Subjectively? I actually found it rather entertaining, in the same way I found the earlier Transformers films entertaining to watch, in that brainless guilty-pleasure sort of manner.

Also, Laura Haddock and Quintessa are both really hot.

I watched several movies on my flights.

1. Captain Marvel - I thought it was really good. I liked seeing the younger Coulson and Fury. I'm glad Carol's story was not as cheesy as I had imagined (I never read the comics). I had a hard time keeping the Kree and Skrull straight. Also Goose was awesome.

2. Bohemian Rhapsody - I like Queen a lot more as an adult than I did when I was growing up. So I was excited to see this. Happy that it didn't focus on Freddie's battle with HIV/AIDs (as in it didn't show his condition deteriorating as the virus progressed for dramatic affect) because that wasn't his whole story. Disappointed that the debauchery was skimmed over. Plus there was no mention of doing the Flash Gordon soundtrack. It felt like the movie needed to be longer, but they cut it down so it wouldn't feel like a PBS documentary.

3. Five Feet Apart - Young people with CF fall in love. Drama ensues. Tear Jerker! I knew this going in. Every time I'd see commercials for this movie I would say I couldn't go see it because it would make me cry. Nothing like being 32000 ft in the air and trying not to sob on the person in the seat next to you.

4. Aquaman - Um. I only saw bits and pieces of this one because I kept falling asleep. I will say this: it was not the vanilla Aquaman from Super Friends! What I was conscious for was good.

5. Mary Queen of Scots - Meh. I like period dramas. This one was a bit boring. Elizabeth was portrayed well by Margot Robbie, especially her paranoia over losing the throne. Saoirse Ronan reminded me too much of Merida from Brave for some reason.
Mary Stuart's story is portrayed so her downfall is brought about by other people plotting against her rather than as a result of her own failed machinations. I liked how the two women were contrasted in the film: Elizabeth has vibrant colors and sunshine while Mary has darker colors and clouds/rain. It definitely added to the understanding that Mary was always trying to get out from Elizabeth's shadow. I should have rewatched Aquaman, tbh.

Shazam. Most fun DC movie yet. I liked WW slightly better, but not by much. It had some lame moments, but for the most part I had fun and was entertained.
My biggest complaint is that this is the perfect superhero for kids, but it was too violent. I think they should have toned back the violence to PG. I wouldn't let my kids watch it due to the boardroom scene. There's still the animated film which is also fun.

...Whaaaat?! Do they at least mention Highlander?

—Patrick
Nope. Not at all. That was disappointing, too, given how the movie kept stressing Freddie and Queen's larger-than-life image. I think those soundtracks added to the fact that they were far from a cookie cutter rock band of the 70s and 80s.