[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

GasBandit

Staff member
I wasn't familiar with that source material.
Basically, the proper perspective to have for the MCU is that it is its own, separate continuity with only a passing resemblance to any other stories you've heard. Any resemblance to any "source material" you may be familiar with should just be taken as homage or an in-joke and accepted as such, and then let go.

Neither have I, and after seeing Endgame, I don't feel like I missed all that much.
Yeah, I'm more inclined to watch reruns of Supergirl . . . which reminds me of a question I've had since I first heard of Captain Marvel: Why do these two superladies share a last name?

figmentPez

Staff member
Supergirl's last name is Danvers?
Depending on which version of the character, yes. I think all current versions have their secret identity as Kara Danvers, and older versions were Linda Danvers. (There was also a Linda Lang in there for a while, as if Superman comics needed more LL initials.)

Okay. So that's 3 answers to Poe's question. Can we get 10 more so that we can match the US superladies' trouncing of Thailand?

(Should I want to be Thailand in that metaphor?)

Okay. So that's 3 answers to Poe's question. Can we get 10 more so that we can match the US superladies' trouncing of Thailand?

(Should I want to be Thailand in that metaphor?)
Well, getting beat down by 11 US athletes in prime condition is probably not a bad thing.

Did you know I can't eat Rat Toes...?
It's probably because you're really, really old. Like, old, man. Like, woah, so old!

Here's the thing: These comics are great for what they are. Just like books are. And trying to make a movie almost exactly like the comic doesn't typically work (see Watchmen, sans weird brain alien, which I still say made way more sense than the original). So they take the sources and make them into something new. I'll admit I haven't read Planet Hulk, but Ragnarok was a terrific movie. Hating on it because it's not something else feels a little unfair.

Dave

Staff member
Hating on it because it completely changes the characters and their motivations, and takes serious fighters and situations and turns them into literal jokes. As in, used for nothing more than a joke.

Hating on it because it completely changes the characters and their motivations, and takes serious fighters and situations and turns them into literal jokes. As in, used for nothing more than a joke.
I wonder if they went the serious route with the movie, would it just get called a Gladiator rip-off? I agree that a lot of the comedy was silly. I, personally, had more fun watching Ragnarok than the GotG movies. Well, it might be tied with GotG 1 for fun. I also liked it b/c I like seeing the Hulk on screen. I'd rather see Hulk than Ruffalo.

I understand why you don't like it though. I've had movies that I felt were too silly and messed up source material.

I think it's a little unfair to really even compare the two. If you take out the Arena bit, it's basically an original Thor story that guest stars the Hulk, as opposed to the defining Hulk story that guest stars an (admittedly cool) 3rd-string character with connections to Thor... and that's entirely on the Marvel writing team and their complete unwillingness to explore the pathos of The Hulk side of the Hulk/Banner combo.

I'm hoping we get some of what The Hulk's been missing in the upcoming Shehulk show.

I think it's a little unfair to really even compare the two. If you take out the Arena bit, it's basically an original Thor story that guest stars the Hulk, as opposed to the defining Hulk story that guest stars an (admittedly cool) 3rd-string character with connections to Thor... and that's entirely on the Marvel writing team and their complete unwillingness to explore the pathos of The Hulk side of the Hulk/Banner combo.

I'm hoping we get some of what The Hulk's been missing in the upcoming Shehulk show.
They couldn't do a full on Hulk story because they don't own the movie rights. Or so I was let to believe.

Wait, wait, wait...

We're getting a She-Hulk show? Sweet!

They couldn't do a full on Hulk story because they don't own the movie rights. Or so I was let to believe.
Oh, they can make a Hulk movie all they want, no problem there. But as soon as it’s filmed Universal legally gets to distribute it and take a chunk of the profits.

The She-Hulk thing is still just a rumor, nothing has been confirmed yet. D23 is coming up soon, and we should get lots of announcements at that time.