[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

GasBandit

Staff member
You left out Magnificent Seven, Seven Samurai, and Battle Beyond the Stars.

--Patrick
Well the Magnificent Seven was out-and-out said to be a direct adaptation of Seven Samurai.

So, does this mean that The Three Amigos, A Bug's Life and Galaxy Quest are all the same movie, too?
I didn't watch A Bug's Life, but Three Amigos and Galaxy Quest come pretty close. Thing is, there were WAY more differences between those. New Hope and Force Awakens were beat-for-beat.

I wasn't aware of any of those having a "they're really just a group of actors" angle.
I thought we were listing movies that were really just other movies, though I suppose Magnificent Seven could be considered a "group of actors" movie (for its time).
Well the Magnificent Seven was out-and-out said to be a direct adaptation of Seven Samurai.
And Battle Beyond the Stars was an adaptation of Magnificent Seven. Heck, Robert Vaughn even appears in BBtS reprising his role as the exact same character.

--Patrick

I understand what you’re saying, but what about this:

Obi-Wan in A New Hope serves the same purpose in the plot as Han Solo does in The Force Awakens.

Yeah?
I agree they both serve a similar function to their plot, but have entirely different personalities and serve different functions toward their movies' main characters.

And I just realized Leia and Obi Wan never actually met. I don't know why that feels weird or I would've ever assumed they had though.

Detective Pikachu was fine. If you're not into Pokemon, it will do nothing for you. It's kind of messy writing at times. It'll just seem like random CGI creatures.

If you love Pokemon, then they function in their world and it's a pretty fun movie.

Dave was right about the stay-awake test. There was a dad in our row snoring so heavy it was shaking the seats.

GasBandit

Staff member
That just seems REALLY late in the life cycle of the original Game Boy. But I guess the Color didn't come out until 98, too... and I got my Game Boy back in 89 when it first came out.

Consider that... a game console with no successor for 9 years. The Game Boy almost made it to the Dreamcast's US launch. There was a time when someone could be gaming on Playstation and the Game Boy, and be on the latest hardware of both home console and handheld.

That just seems REALLY late in the life cycle of the original Game Boy. But I guess the Color didn't come out until 98, too... and I got my Game Boy back in 89 when it first came out.

Consider that... a game console with no successor for 9 years. The Game Boy almost made it to the Dreamcast's US launch. There was a time when someone could be gaming on Playstation and the Game Boy, and be on the latest hardware of both home console and handheld.
But there was the gamegear...

Oh, ok, well the n*Gage

... No, no, you're right

figmentPez

Staff member
Pokemon stretched the life with Gameboy Color. I bought both that year in middle school with every dollar I had.

Which left nothing for batteries. :(
I know the pain of not having batteries. I got an R/C car one Christmas, which ran on AA batteries (because the NiCd models were more expensive). I loved it so much, but barely got to play with it because I didn't have batteries. And no one warned me that pushing it around when I didn't have batteries would strip the gears and keep it from working even when I did have batteries.

It's crazy how much cheaper batteries are these days. Taking inflation into account you can buy a 4-pack of NiMh AA batteries, with a charger, for cheaper than a 4-pack of alkaline AA batteries would have cost when I was a kid. That's not even considering the insane 100 packs of alkaline batteries that occasionally go on sale. Or that many toys run on built-in lithium ion batteries.

Anyways, I loved Detective Pikachu and I spent half the movie squeeing every time the Emolga popped up in the background.
The cutest thing at our screening was when Pikachu is singing the Pokemon anime theme, and little kids in the audience started singing along with him :aaah:toooo cute!

The cutest thing at our screening was when Pikachu is singing the Pokemon anime theme, and little kids in the audience started singing along with him :aaah:toooo cute!
Thankfully we were in the back row because my husband and I started dancing to it. My 13 year old daughter would have died of embarrassment had anyone seen us.

We were supposed to see Detective Pikachu this morning, but the timing didn't work out. I was going to see it by myself tomorrow morning, but judging by everyone's reviews, I'll wait until the weekend so Li'l Z can come with me.

Detective Pikachu. I both really enjoyed it, and also can't imagine someone liking it without knowing Pokemon going into it. They did a fantastic job of making Pokemon look and feel real. I'd be totally down for more movies in that setting.

John Wick 3 is fucking awesome, big surprise and picks up literally where the last film ends, like same moment. Loved the villains this time around. Mark Dacascus (spelling) (Chairman from Iron Chef America and star of the hit movie Double Dragon) is great and Asia Kate Dillon is wonderful as The Adjudicator. Halle Berry was great (and her dogs! YES), all the character actors from TV and such that show up are great. I LOVE Lawrence Fishbourne continuing to ham it the fuck up. Ian McShane kills it. Lance Reddick gets a meatier role this time too.

If you enjoyed the first two, you will also enjoy this one.

Can't wait for John Wick 4. Thought this would be the end. Nope. Poor John cannot catch a break and I for one am fucking pleased.

While never formerly introduced, they did see each other in the hangar bay of the DS, didn't they?
All the crew was booking it towards the Falcon at that point, save for Luke, who briefly joined the group of stormtroopers watching the duel, so if anything the most she likely got was a brief glimpse of a brown cloak.

Of course, Obi-Wan was present at her birth, so he had officially met her in the film canon, albeit as an infant.

Detective Pikachu

I rather liked it. It was entertaining, and it's got heart. It's also very respectful to the source material, which is a pleasant surprise for movie adaptations. And, of course, playing spot-and-name-the-background-Pokemon was both fun and rewarding.

Also, Kathryn Newton's hot.

In case you're wondering about the source, it's from Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, and Karl Pilkington (pictured), talking about metaphors and Karl's inability to understand them.