[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I don't really care about either character. I've just always known the DC one as captain marve. It'd be like if there was some DC character named "spider-man" and now the marvel one is called "webby"

(Cross-posting this with the DCEU thread, just for the hell if it)

I'm way overdue, but I finally saw AQUAMAN this past weekend.

I had a lot of fun with it. I loved how they were like, "Screw it! Everyone rides seahorses and sharks like it's a regular thing! And there's an octopus playing the drums because of course there is!"

The special effects and action was top notch. I dug Jason Momoa in the role, even if his characterization was kind of awkwardly all over the place.

Along with Aquaman's character, I found the tone all over the place. First, it feels like an epic fantasy ala Lord of the Rings. Then it's a globe trotting Indiana Jones adventure. Then it's suddenly a monster horror movie. Then back to Lord of the Rings. Just all over the place.

But it was still a lot of fun and the kind of Aquaman movie I always kinda hoped for or expected (minus the breakneck change in tone). I'm glad I finally saw it.

I have to admit that I'm more excited for Captain Marvel than Shazam. I think it is in part due to the advertising. I feel like I've gotten most of the gist of Shazam from the ads, whereas Captain Marvel has a lot more to say yet.

To put it in terms movie executives will understand, right now Captain Marvel is "will watch" and Shazam is "might watch" for me.

More reason for me to feel self-satisfied about ducking/ignoring/tuning out every trailer for any movie I might remotely be interested in :D
I limit myself to just one if it's something I know I'll probably want to see anyway. If I don't really care I'll watch all the trailers so I can get the story without having to sit through it.

What Dreams May Come

Every time. Every frigging year, this movie leaves me a sobbing mess.
I watched that when I was in my early 20s, I think. It didn't really affect me much. I just thought it was kind of weird, but liked seeing Williams in a serious role. I watched it again about 2 years ago, and as an adult with a family, it hit me pretty hard. It's quite a movie.

I watched that when I was in my early 20s, I think. It didn't really affect me much. I just thought it was kind of weird, but liked seeing Williams in a serious role. I watched it again about 2 years ago, and as an adult with a family, it hit me pretty hard. It's quite a movie.
Robin Williams had more range than he was ever really allowed to use. I still enjoy Final Cut (Robin Williams does suspense thriller!) and One Hour Photo (Robin Williams does psychological thriller!). I've heard Insomnia is good too.

Robin Williams had more range than he was ever really allowed to use.
I would posit that this was mostly by choice on Williams' part. He was a caring and generous soul, but he was also a tortured soul. I'd be willing to bet he knew that if he showed off how dark he could really be, he would end up like Viggo Mortensen's character in A History of Violence, where people would then forever be uneasy around him, and he didn't want that.

--Patrick

Into the Spider-Verse

Yeah, yeah, I'm late. Movie deserves all the hype. But aside from all everything's said about it, I also found it an extremely satisfying movie which I don't find in a lot of movies. Miles really earned it at the end there, and it was really nice to see.

A Madea Family Funeral

Spoilers below if you really care

This was actually my first time seeing a Madea Cinematic Universe movie, but thankfully they managed to keep it self-contained enough for newcomers. It was definitely not good, but I don't think I've ever seen a movie like it. It was a poorly written but mostly serious drama, about death and infidelity, but there were also 5 old people who were only there to be wacky. There would be scenes where it's just them saying silly things for 5 minutes or so, that dont have much to do with anything followed by scenes where the story moves along and the silly old people stay mostly quiet.

Also, despite my assumptions, of all the "wacky" characters, Madea was by far the most down to earth. She was the straight woman for a lot of scenes and I really wasn't expecting that. She was also the only wacky old character that actually had a point for being there besides making jokes.

The biggest thing is that it's incredibly long. It went over about two hours and it feels it. The runningtime could've been cut a ton by trimming down the old people babbling scenes, but that's what everyone is there for so then the movie wouldn't really have a point. The weird thing is that the movie ends super-abruptly. They're all talking about what's gonna happen and then the mom who just buried her husband the day before
is like "I found a new man, I don't care about your (her kids) drama, I'm going to Vegas with him." The man ended up being Mike Tyson, which was maybe the funniest moment in the movie, just from how out of nowhere it was, but the best thing is that looking it up on IMDB it in-universe wasn't Mike Tyson, it was a character played by Mike Tyson, despite the fact that it so clearly is him and the only reason the joke works is because it's him. And then the movie ends. We don't even find out if the one brother is leaving his fiancée that cheated on him. Its implied that he is, but that was one of the main conflicts of the movie and they don't even have an on-screen conversation after he finds out.

If anyone knows more about these movies, is Madea just a ciswoman played by a man or supposed to be a drag queen/trans woman. I went into this movie assuming the former but there were quite a few jokes playing off of that, so while they could've been just a metajoke about how obious it is that Madea is played by a man, I thought it could be something that a previous movies explained.

What's more amazing is that the audience in the theater I was in LOVED IT. It might be the most laughter I've ever heard in a theater, over some pretty meh stuff. I've heard that the Madea movies strike a cord with black people in a way they don't with anyone else, but I'd say the theater I was in was still mostly white.

I can't say I'd recommend seeing this, but it was pretty interesting in hindsight. Given that my choices for the evening were that and Green Book, I feel that I made the right call.

A Madea Family Funeral

Spoilers below if you really care

This was actually my first time seeing a Madea Cinematic Universe movie, but thankfully they managed to keep it self-contained enough for newcomers. It was definitely not good, but I don't think I've ever seen a movie like it. It was a poorly written but mostly serious drama, about death and infidelity, but there were also 5 old people who were only there to be wacky. There would be scenes where it's just them saying silly things for 5 minutes or so, that dont have much to do with anything followed by scenes where the story moves along and the silly old people stay mostly quiet.

Also, despite my assumptions, of all the "wacky" characters, Madea was by far the most down to earth. She was the straight woman for a lot of scenes and I really wasn't expecting that. She was also the only wacky old character that actually had a point for being there besides making jokes.

The biggest thing is that it's incredibly long. It went over about two hours and it feels it. The runningtime could've been cut a ton by trimming down the old people babbling scenes, but that's what everyone is there for so then the movie wouldn't really have a point. The weird thing is that the movie ends super-abruptly. They're all talking about what's gonna happen and then the mom who just buried her husband the day before
is like "I found a new man, I don't care about your (her kids) drama, I'm going to Vegas with him." The man ended up being Mike Tyson, which was maybe the funniest moment in the movie, just from how out of nowhere it was, but the best thing is that looking it up on IMDB it in-universe wasn't Mike Tyson, it was a character played by Mike Tyson, despite the fact that it so clearly is him and the only reason the joke works is because it's him. And then the movie ends. We don't even find out if the one brother is leaving his fiancée that cheated on him. Its implied that he is, but that was one of the main conflicts of the movie and they don't even have an on-screen conversation after he finds out.

If anyone knows more about these movies, is Madea just a ciswoman played by a man or supposed to be a drag queen/trans woman. I went into this movie assuming the former but there were quite a few jokes playing off of that, so while they could've been just a metajoke about how obious it is that Madea is played by a man, I thought it could be something that a previous movies explained.

What's more amazing is that the audience in the theater I was in LOVED IT. It might be the most laughter I've ever heard in a theater, over some pretty meh stuff. I've heard that the Madea movies strike a cord with black people in a way they don't with anyone else, but I'd say the theater I was in was still mostly white.

I can't say I'd recommend seeing this, but it was pretty interesting in hindsight. Given that my choices for the evening were that and Green Book, I feel that I made the right call.
You know, I dipped my toe into the Madea-verse years ago with Diary of A Mad Black Woman since it was getting good buzz and I like checking out movies that where I'm not necessarily the target audience because there are a lot of underrated gems. That being said, my experience sounds a lot like yours. I've seen bits and pieces of I Can Do Bad... and Daddy's Little Girls and allI can say is Perry has a formula and sticks to it.

As far as I know, the character Madea, despite being played by Perry, is supposed to be a ciswoman, although the reasoning varies depending on who you ask, i.e. The Boondocks.

Star Trek Beyond

Finally got around to watching this. Not bad. It felt like a lengthened episode of the TV series, which was nice. Perhaps it could've done with a little less spectacle and a bit more philosophical substance, but on the whole it was entertaining enough.

Lowlife

It's kind of like a Tarintino or Guy Richie movie in that the general idea is "Here is 30 minutes of plot told from 4 different sides"

It's a little hard to watch at times, mostly at the beginning just because of how bad the bad guys are. There's also an amount of gore that might make some look away. It's not too terrible like a horror movie but just unsettling in how real it is.

I'm torn on how much I like this movie. Its intriguing enough and good enough to keep watching to see what happens but I just didn't like the overall style. Like I said above it has that "4 sides of the same story" style which I've seen before and a little bit better. I think I would have enjoyed a more linear telling instead of knowing where these people ended up first and then finding out how.

8/10

RoboCop (The remake, a rewatch).

Meh. It was fine. One thing that stuck out real early, though. What with Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and Melissa McCarthy's Ghostbusters, it seemed a little weird that the remake rewrote turned Lewis into a guy. She was a badass woman in the original and to take her out seemed out of step with the times, and was especially weird since in both RoboCop and Starship Troopers, Verhoeven was trying to casually portray a future where women fight and copped right alongside men as equals.

Dave

Staff member
Has anyone else watched "Polar" on Netflix? It is NOTHING like I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a simple tale of a retired hitman who was being hunted by his former agency. Standard. Typical. And it was. But it was so much more. Very strange and stylish and twisted as fuck.

I liked it, but it is a bit on the weird side.