[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

My main issue with spider Man is that it almost made me cry in front of teenagers.

Also the prayer>medicine movie preview that has Luke Cage in it.

Watched that Fyre documentary on Netflix. Hoooooeeee.

As much fun as I had laughing at all the fucked over rich folk because I can't honestly give a shit about them, the amount of poor workers that that piece of shit fucked over boils my blood. That dude was a piece of work.

Noah asked me if he could watch Jaws. Aussie and Lily were away, so sure why not. I hadn't seen it in a long time. He enjoyed it. I warned him that there were bloody parts which he kind of shrugged through. He got two jump scares: 1. when Richard Dreyfuss is scuba diving and sees the floating head, then 2. one time when the shark suddenly appears behind the boat. He said he didn't think the movie was scary overall. He thought that Quint was funny (because of the cursing mostly), but hard to like at first. He thought some of it was silly (e.g. - he didn't get why anyone would go skinny-dipping). He would have also told the mayor that the island could make money if they let people come to research about the sharks. LOL

I have never been a big fan of Jaws. It's not the worst movie. I like when they're all singing "Show Me the Way to Go Home" because it reminds me of Girl Scout camp. The "islanders" are a bunch of idiots, particularly the mayor and his squad of merry men. If I had been Brody I probably would have thought about punching him more than once. The competitive bs between Quint and Hooper is dumb. How no one could hear the swimming girl screaming in the beginning with an open beach and calm water, but people can hear the woman at the "pond" screaming despite there being a panicked crowd is beyond me. It isn't a scary movie, but there is a lot of suspense. It also doesn't help that I wanted to study sharks as a career originally, so I couldn't imagine killing this shark regardless of it attacking people.

Noah: 8.5 out of 10
Me: 5 out of 10

Incredibles 2

Still good, but I JUST NOW realized Win Deavor doesn't have a mustache. THIS WHOLE TIME I remember him having a mustache, re-watching the movie-NO MUSTACHE!

Noah asked me if he could watch Jaws. Aussie and Lily were away, so sure why not. I hadn't seen it in a long time. He enjoyed it. I warned him that there were bloody parts which he kind of shrugged through. He got two jump scares: 1. when Richard Dreyfuss is scuba diving and sees the floating head, then 2. one time when the shark suddenly appears behind the boat. He said he didn't think the movie was scary overall. He thought that Quint was funny (because of the cursing mostly), but hard to like at first. He thought some of it was silly (e.g. - he didn't get why anyone would go skinny-dipping). He would have also told the mayor that the island could make money if they let people come to research about the sharks. LOL

I have never been a big fan of Jaws. It's not the worst movie. I like when they're all singing "Show Me the Way to Go Home" because it reminds me of Girl Scout camp. The "islanders" are a bunch of idiots, particularly the mayor and his squad of merry men. If I had been Brody I probably would have thought about punching him more than once. The competitive bs between Quint and Hooper is dumb. How no one could hear the swimming girl screaming in the beginning with an open beach and calm water, but people can hear the woman at the "pond" screaming despite there being a panicked crowd is beyond me. It isn't a scary movie, but there is a lot of suspense. It also doesn't help that I wanted to study sharks as a career originally, so I couldn't imagine killing this shark regardless of it attacking people.

Noah: 8.5 out of 10
Me: 5 out of 10
The Mayor and his people apparently acted the way they did because of a subplot that didn't make it out of the book. There was something about the mayor being in debt to the Mafia out of New York, and his only chance to recoup was by maximizing the tourist season. Closing the beaches would have made it impossible. That's why he refused to listen to Brody.

The book also apparently spent some time exploring the consequences of small, single-industry town economies when that industry is disrupted. Amity relies on summer tourists to fund the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the movie Searching. I am incredibly sorry I didn't see that sooner. That's one of the best movies I've seen in ages. Brilliant use of computers (all from the point of view of computer screens, social media, and other sources) and a DAMN good mystery. 10/10.

If you intend on watching it, I highly recommend going in blind. Just know that it's a mystery and the concept of the movie is that it's presented entirely through social media. And it WORKS.

Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice.

Again, I don't think it was *as* bad as I expected. There were quite a few things I liked about the movie. Overall, it failed, though. The movie's plot only works because both of our heroes are idiots. Realizing they were being played much earlier, then having to find a way you work together on exposing Lex and facing Doomsday for a much longer time would've improved the movie and done more justice to Doomsday. The ending felt rushed and unearned, and WW saving the day was practically a Deus ex Machina for how little build up she got.
Lots of pretty visuals, but they can't save the movie.

Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice.

Again, I don't think it was *as* bad as I expected. There were quite a few things I liked about the movie. Overall, it failed, though. The movie's plot only works because both of our heroes are idiots. Realizing they were being played much earlier, then having to find a way you work together on exposing Lex and facing Doomsday for a much longer time would've improved the movie and done more justice to Doomsday. The ending felt rushed and unearned, and WW saving the day was practically a Deus ex Machina for how little build up she got.
Lots of pretty visuals, but they can't save the movie.
It is one of the most stupidly aggressive and aggressively stupid movies I've ever seen.

It is one of the most stupidly aggressive and aggressively stupid movies I've ever seen.
It really feels like Zach Snyder is a one trick pony, and the complete wrong fit for what the DCU needed. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are good (at least decent) comic book movies. Once you remove Snyder’s whole style and point of view, the heroes can actually shine.

Alita Battle Angel. The story is ho-hum & won't surprise you if you've read the manga / watched the OVA, and probably won't surprise you even if you haven't. Alita's anime eyes never stop looking ridiculous. Despite this I enjoyed it. The story may be cookie cutter but it isn't bad. The visual effects are good. The fight scenes are great. The movie ends on a clear "we want to turn this into a franchise" moment & I think most people will leave the cinema willing to come back to watch a sequel. I know I will be.

Alita's eyes still look stupid though.

Happy Death Day: YouTube had the rental for 99 cents. I was really into it the first half, but the script took a turn that, while unexpected, ate up way too much time.

And it wasn't clever, more like "let's make it look like a disappointing turn of events so that the normal course of the story is bigger." The actual twist was neat, but they should have dropped the whole escaped maniac red herring. I'm surprised she never suspected Carter; his suggestion to keep getting killed to rule people out would've made sense in effort to make her weak.

I'm curious about the sequel; it sounds like audiences are divided.

Happy Death Day: YouTube had the rental for 99 cents. I was really into it the first half, but the script took a turn that, while unexpected, ate up way too much time.

And it wasn't clever, more like "let's make it look like a disappointing turn of events so that the normal course of the story is bigger." The actual twist was neat, but they should have dropped the whole escaped maniac red herring. I'm surprised she never suspected Carter; his suggestion to keep getting killed to rule people out would've made sense in effort to make her weak.

I'm curious about the sequel; it sounds like audiences are divided.
The sequel turns it into a complete farce. If you can deal with your slasher movie having some VERY comedic moments, then this is for you, but I get why some people might be turned off by the comedy.

The sequel turns it into a complete farce. If you can deal with your slasher movie having some VERY comedic moments, then this is for you, but I get why some people might be turned off by the comedy.
Oh, I thought the controversy would be whatever plot elements made the same thing be happening again. It sounds like they went Gremlins/Gremlins 2, Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2 route. I'll still watch it, but probably rental then. Thanks for the warning!

Dave

Staff member
Anna and the Apocalypse.

This is a high school Christmas zombie musical comedy set in Scotland. It’s like Glee meets Shaun of the Dead. I think this is one of those movies you’ll either like or hate. I liked it and I’m not a fan of teen angst movies or musicals in general.

The bad guy is so over the top that the very first time he speaks you go, “Oh yeah. He’s the bad guy.” It’s like a comedy melodrama with music. And zombies.

Just saw "How to Train Your Dragon 3" it's bad. Humor is forced and I think it annoyed me to the point that I didn't even really care about the climax.

Weird because the reviews I'm hearing are glowing.
I honestly don't understand giving it a glowing review. The ending is good maybe even great but everything else in it is such a nothing burger.

Probably would come down to how much the rest of the movie has ground on your love of the series when the ending comes. For me it had ground down to the point that I was actively annoyed so the ending wasn't able to save it for me/ wasn't good enough to save it for me.

Oh yeah I saw Tag the other day. Pretty good flick all around. Kind of felt like a hangover vibe but slightly watered down. The story is simple enough you can tell they ran out of stuff to do and had to fill time with a few sub plots and bits that take too long and don't really go anywhere though.

It also can't quite decide just how much disbelief I'm supposed to suspend. One guy takes fall at one point that, sure, would IRL give you a concussion at the least but we gloss over that because this is a slapstick comedy. I'm fine with that and can keep going without over thinking things. The same character gets hit with a log trap two thirds through that 10 times out of 10 kills you but he walks it off. That one was a bit more jarring and felt out of place compared to the rest of the movie. I actually thought that this was going to be a really dark twist that they threw at us.

Still though, pretty funny. 6.5/10

Dave

Staff member
I loved Tag. And I really, REALLY loved it when they showed the guys at the end it was based on...and the fact that some of the crazy shit they did was right out of real life.

I watched that little known indie title Your Name. Very beautiful and I enjoyed it greatly. Now, I know no one has heard of this barely known blip of a film, but rest assured, Frank, your boy with his thumb on the pulse of cool, can give you the go ahead to give it a shot and enjoy that tiny smudge on the radar. Go for it.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: This could've been 90 minutes if they cut down on the line-o-rama and didn't have six climaxes. It was fun, but I think if I'd seen it in theaters I would've disliked it a bit.

That mid-credits scene though ... wow.

Spider-verse might finally have taken the luster of the MCU out of my eyes. I feel like we're seeing Captain Marvel out of obligation, and I'd be more excited if I didn't feel like I had to see it to make some part of Endgame resonate. I'm more excited for Shazam and Wonder Woman 1984 at this point, and more looking forward to DC > Marvel movies isn't something I ever thought would happen. What a strange world this has become.

To me the thing about Ant-Man and Wasp is that it really doesn't progress the characters that much. Everyone is still largely who they were in the first movie but just in a different situation.

A lot of the better MCU sequels had progressed their characters more. Cap in cap 2 was struggling with living in the future. Tony in Iron Man 3 was dealing with PTSD. Starlord gets the father, home and power he's always wanted but learns the flip side of what that might mean.

Also by the time it came out we had gotten some better villains such as Vulture, killmonger and Thanos. Ghost (was that her name?) Was... sympathetic sure because she was going to die but I still feel like everyone could have just sat down and talked this all out. Also weird how OG wasp was able to heal her because of Mico magic or whatever.

Also weird how OG wasp was able to heal her because of Mico magic or whatever.
Whenever Julie questioned the science of a scene, I noted, "They said quantum so they can get away with whatever they want."
And sure enough, the movie even lampshades that halfway through with Scott going (paraphrase) "do you guys just throw the word quantum in front of anything?"

Yeah, it seems like Ant-Man And The Wasp was meant as something of a breather episode after Avengers Infinity War. Entertaining, but kind of light.

Sorry to bother you

Ok.

Okay.

So....ok...

Ok so this movie was either super stupid or super amazing and I'm just not sure. Like....there is so much I liked about it but then there's a small number of things that are huge that I didn't really like about it.

No ok fuck it this movie is amazing but it just also goes on for a little too long.

Like, did you see The Lobster? It's kind of like that in how the first half is pretty strait forward but the 2nd half takes a hard turn off the main road and takes you for a fucking trip.

$15/hour out of 10 stars. Slight pacing issues and it drags a bit in the middle.