[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Well, I think The Road was a masterpiece. The Grey was great but it wasn't quite as good if I compared the two. In my opinion.
If you want something that Grey did better than The Road for comparison sake, was pacing. Not saying that The Road wasn't amazing, just saying they're both equally amazing for what they each were.

Then again, this is all opinion so one may view the films differently.

I need to watch The Road again to compare, but I think you are probably right. The pacing in The Grey was great. I think The Road was just a better film overall, but I don't say that to denigrate The Grey. Like I said, it's a phenomanal film. It caused Roger Ebert to walk out of the next movie he was supposed to watch, he said he was just so emotionally devastated that he couldn't do the next movie any justice.

For opinions sake, I actually prefer The Road as well. Overall I would pick it a better option, but much like Taken, The Grey was a phenomenal action/thriller piece with little competition for such a high spot.

You know, I think The Grey could have just been another action/thriller but Neeson's performance took it way above that. If he hadn't been in it I don't know if it would have had half the emotional power it did.

You know, I think The Grey could have just been another action/thriller but Neeson's performance took it way above that. If he hadn't been in it I don't know if it would have had half the emotional power it did.
Every time I saw the trailer I was like -This is just a pure film showcase for Neeson's badassery- and while I was right, as usual his intense emotional performance made it -just that much more-.

Like I said, it was so emotionally devastating that Ebert walked out of another movie. He's only done that 1 other time in his life he said.

Personally, I'm not to proud to admit that I had tears rolling down my face at the end.

Personally I didn't find The Grey anything to write home about. I liked Neeson's performance, but the movie as a whole was largely predictable and overall forgettable. I don't regret watching it, but I doubt it'd see it twice.[DOUBLEPOST=1348762186][/DOUBLEPOST]But perhaps, it's simply China sucking out my emotions.

Damn communists.

Personally I didn't find The Grey anything to write home about. I liked Neeson's performance, but the movie as a whole was largely predictable and overall forgettable. I don't regret watching it, but I doubt it'd see it twice.[DOUBLEPOST=1348762186][/DOUBLEPOST]But perhaps, it's simply China sucking out my emotions.

Damn communists.
By that definition, Taken wasn't anything to write home about. It was predictable too, simplistic in plot, a storyline even Steven Segal has done once or twice, am i right? ;)

By that definition, Taken wasn't anything to write home about. It was predictable too, simplistic in plot, a storyline even Steven Segal has done once or twice, am i right? ;)
yeah, you're right, Taken is actually a really shitty movie with a cherry on top of being really offensive

The Grey, however, is completely fantastic and I echo all the effusive praise in this thread previously. It bowled me over, I had pretty much zero expectations.

Taken wasn't shitty, but it was a pretty by the books hollywood action/thriller elevated by Neeson's gravitas. I've never heard anyone call it offensive though. I can only imagine...

Looper went in a much different direction than I thought it was going to, but came out much better than expected and I had pretty high hopes going into it.

Time travel is tricky but I think it was handled here very well.

I always feel so alone in my opinion that Taken was garbage, thanks Charlie. :)
np

Also, The Master. Wow. After I went to RottenTomatoes, not because they are relevant at all, but as a shorthand to read a couple of reviewers I like. And I saw that The Avengers has a higher tomato score. lmao

The Grey wasn't terrible but it suffered the same problem as Taken, a flimsy plot held together purely by Liam Neeson badassery. Parts of The Grey were utterly painful (crossing the ravine, that was their plan?) and others were remarkable (first death after the plane crash). Also having dire wolves stalking them didn't help the realism factor of the movie one bit.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Welcome to the Jungle
Not as bad as people claim. Certainly not Oscar material, but there's always room for certain things. Christopher Walken chewing the scenery. A tiny guy weighing buck fifty beating the living crap out of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Jokes about the candiru swimming inside your John Thomas. Strange Scotsmen with completely unintelligible accents. Worth a watch.[DOUBLEPOST=1348924530][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Grey wasn't terrible but it suffered the same problem as Taken, a flimsy plot held together purely by Liam Neeson badassery. Parts of The Grey were utterly painful (crossing the ravine, that was their plan?) and others were remarkable (first death after the plane crash). Also having dire wolves stalking them didn't help the realism factor of the movie one bit.
Bloody hell, when did you get back? Nice to see ya.