[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

This honestly surprises me with some of your responses on the "Things that are intended to be sexy" thread. This movie has feminists up in arms.
I don't see how the two posts are related. My only disparaging posts in the 'intended to be sexy' thread talks about noodle spine. I don't see anything noodl-y about the SuckerPunch girls' spines. And maybe your mistake comes from thinking I'm a feminist, cause I'm not. At all.

Suckerpunch entertained me, I thought it was a beautifully made movie, adore the soundtrack. End of story. I never watch a movie looking for 'messages' or that it's supposed to make me feel something specific. I go to movies to be entertained, which is probably why I'm so lax about them...It's hard to get me to hate a movie.

And personally, I think those girls are sexy as all get out and they're fighting back. Which is awesome, despite the crazy, they're taking their own destinies into their own hands and giving the world hell.

So, yeah, there you go.

Dredd

Good adaptation of the British comic series. Unlike the last time Judge Dredd hit the big screen, this captures the bleak feelings and world given in the original comic book, along with keeping Dredd simple and clear in his devotion to the law. It's well-shot with some good action and a solid script. Interestingly, it's an action movie that moves at a slower pace than most, but it works.

Throw Charlie From the Train.
I love that movie.

I'm just saying there are as many different flavors of feminism as geek. Some geeks are furries and I hate them, the same way some feminists think all sex is rape and I hate them too.

(since I love sex)
(and don't like being called a rapist)

I love that movie.

I'm just saying there are as many different flavors of feminism as geek. Some geeks are furries and I hate them, the same way some feminists think all sex is rape and I hate them too.

(since I love sex)
(and don't like being called a rapist)
Woah woah woah... furries love sex.

In fursuits...

Like a sexy Chewbacca......

Ok, now I hate furries too.

Dredd

Good adaptation of the British comic series. Unlike the last time Judge Dredd hit the big screen, this captures the bleak feelings and world given in the original comic book, along with keeping Dredd simple and clear in his devotion to the law. It's well-shot with some good action and a solid script. Interestingly, it's an action movie that moves at a slower pace than most, but it works.
Agreed. I thought that the whole thing had a kind of 70's or early 80's feel to it - nuclear Armageddon, overpopulation, crime insanely out of control, all those fears that were reflected in films like Escape From New York, The Warriors, even Assault on Precinct 13, were on display in this flick. Since that's the same era that Judge Dredd was created in, I felt that was a rather good tack to take.

Just watched the Star Trek documentary The Captain. This was very well done. It was...soft and subtle. Shatner could have hammed it up and made this really cheesy but what I got was something insightful.

I really like it.

Just watched the Star Trek documentary The Captain. This was very well done. It was...soft and subtle. Shatner could have hammed it up and made this really cheesy but what I got was something insightful.

I really like it.
I really liked it too but I had no idea what to make of Avery Brooks.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Avengers
Watched it last night on DVD with some friends. I still think this is an awesome film, with the right combination of drama, humor and excellent effects. I was a little worried that the big names (Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Downey Jr. in particular) would steal the show, but every hero and villain gets their hour, and kick some major ass. Also, it is fun to watch movies with these particular guys because of the down-right silly discussions we end up having. This movie included:
- Is Nick Fury played by Samuel L. Jackson or Morgan Freeman?
- Why the Black Widow's breasts and ass count as a superpower in the sense of a low-yield mind-control device.
- Stretch pants are a wonderful thing.
- Why Stark Tower and the Helicarrier could potentially be built in the future.
- Did Agent Coulson really bite the dust.
- Was my ex a bilge snipe?

I thought there was nothing I wanted to see out in the theaters, then WHAM, out of nowhere comes Dredd. I hadn't even know this was coming down the pike until Film Brain posted his review of it.

Dredd was far better than I expected it to be. Great movie, second favorite movie based on a comic I've seen this year (Avengers).

My friends and I are doing an 'Octoberfest' wherein we watch Halloween movies all of October - we were so excited we started early. We've watched a bunch so far, but I think I'll just mention the ones I haven't seen before.

Cabin in the Woods
Ok, for real, I LOVE this movie!! I actually generally hate Halloween type movies because...I'm very easily scared, I can't watch scary movies at all without having nightmares attached to it. I'm trying to get over that and I'm glad I didn't judge this movie based on what I thought it was going to be. Because it was nothing like what I expected. It's hilarious!! The over the top fun it has with itself is just great. I love all of the cliches/paying homage to other scary films. And dat ending. Yes!! I'm definately purchasing this.

House on Haunted Hill
We watched the original, not the remake. It was made in 1959 it was pretty awesomely old. The acting was over the top and all of the 'scary' moments were so laughable. Vincent Price was fantastic, though and my friends and I had a good time watching it.
This pretty much sums it up:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Milk
Definitely one to watch if you're into biopics. A nice combination of humor and drama, victory and tragedy, and the stellar work of the actors in the lead roles certainly doesn't hurt. The usage of actual news footage involving Anita Bryant and the political climate of the time help in the characterization, which could have easily gone horribly, horribly wrong and black-and-white.

Dark Knight Returns.

It's funny when a 5 minute segment in a children's cartoon is a more faithful and all around better adaptation of the source material than a full on animated feature. Peter Weller is rad as hell and Robocop will forever be one of my favorite movies but he is not a good choice for older Batman. Michael Ironside (who was used in the Batman:TAS segment) was a much, much, much better choice. The old TAS segment even looks more like the graphic novel.

Original

Batman: The Animated Series Segment

Dark Knight Returns

I just saw someone raving about how awesome this was. Sigh. I hope it's better than you say. I'd like to like it despite Wellers voice.

I just watched "The Grey" and now I'm very depressed.

It's not terrible, just........I dunno, not great. It's good. For sure, it's better than most animated offerings even. But I dunno, they did very little to capture the atmosphere of the comic. It feels like present day.

The music however is fantastic.

Went to this last night

and it was awesome.

There was a singalong (with lyrics on screen) to the theme song, and they even had small prizes for the lunatics who arrived in costume "you win... a copy of The Wiz!"

and as it should be, BRIAN BLESSED got the loudest cheers.

'squadron 40? DDIIIIIIIVE!"

I'm still thinking about The Grey days after I watched it. It's not as powerful as The Road but it's still hanging on in my head... Neeson really amazed me in this.