[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

fade

Staff member
After giving Insidious more thought, I think the ending is actually a plot hole.
Eloise established that the ghosts need time to enter into a body, and that the old woman's ghost had been severed from the dad, yet she was able to apparently easily possess him. Also, how would the mom know that the photo on Eloise's camera was of the dad? Eloise was dead, and there's no evidence in the picture that that's who the photo was of. Finally, it doesn't quite make sense that the dad, being aware that he was astral walking and having been made aware of his history with the ghost, would've fallen for the old lady's trap. Or was his body already possessed by this point? I can't tell. There's the weird stumble and tiredness he seems to exhibit when they enter the house. Since Eloise had established that life=strength, maybe that was supposed to be our visual cue that he had essentially died, since his connection to his body was severed. I don't know. It kind of falls apart there.
I read an interesting theory elsewhere. Someone was speculating that
the demon was a pawn in the old lady's plan. Josh was always the target, and the whole thing was a setup to get his body

Cabin in the Woods - King of Horror movies. Period.

Not so much due to "scary levels" but on a pure "This is too epic to believe" as you watch it.

Do not see trailers. Do not spoil the plot. Just go see it.

I will be seeing this in theatres again.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - ... Do I really need to explain? Absolutely great movie, If you've seen it you should watch it again it continues to be excellent. If you haven't seen this movie you really owe it to yourself to watch it.

I wish I hadn't seen the trailer.
In all honestly, the 'spoiler' in the trailer doesn't give away everything. In fact, that one thing that seems like a spoiler is established within the first seconds of the movie.

It's the other couple of surprises that make it awesome. Especially, as I said, the message behind the movie.

Saw the Clash of the Titans remake last night.

Eh, not half as bad as I expected. Someone took a giant page form Guillermo Del Toro design book, which is a good thing. The movie looked amazing, but it had zero character development or really any characters you cared about. The original had a lot of charm and heart and this one had only cool battles. Still way better than I expected.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - ... Do I really need to explain? Absolutely great movie, If you've seen it you should watch it again it continues to be excellent. If you haven't seen this movie you really owe it to yourself to watch it.
I rewatched that a few months ago and have come to the conclusion that Ferris Bueller is a sociopath. His only redeeming feature really is that he's charming, a trait that he proceeds to use to manipulate and control everyone around him.

Poor Cameron is definitely going to jail or military school after the movie ends, and Ferris Just gets to skip on back to school and will most likely take the money that was raised by the other students who THOUGHT HE WAS DYING to buy himself some overly elaborate gadget that helps him shirk even more responsibility.

The dude is one costume choice away from being a supervillain.

BananaHands

Staff member
The Cabin in the Woods - I thought it was very well done and completely played on the formulas you find in horror movies. The first 20 minutes was a bit hard to get through, but it completely pays off. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford were amazing together. Also... there is a huge difference between Redneck Torture Zombies and Zombies.

I know Eurotrip is a terrible movie, but damn there are a couple things that make me laugh in that movie.
1) Fred Armisan as creepy ethnic train guy
2) Matt Damon as Fiona's boyfriend
3) Mime fight.
4) David Hasslehoff.

ElJuski

Staff member
Pretty boring movie lineup this weekend, well, at least I think for you guys, as I found them absolutely fascinating:

Bad Company-- old Jeff Bridges movie about a religious Ohioan teenager that escapes conscription to the Union and joins up with a ragtag group of youngsters, including a weirdly un-Lebowskian Jeff Bridges. I thought it was going to be a kid's movie--shit, I'm pretty sure it has a PG rating--but there's blood and cussing hangin' and I think they killed a rabbit on screen for realsies. Not an amazing movie, but a pretty good western, I guess.

The Conspirator-- That's just me being all Civil War history nerd. It's about the trial of Mary Surratt, the woman who owned the boarding house where the Lincoln conspirators came up with their several ideas to kill el Presidente. Pretty neat, as usual, to see DC as it was back in the day (for those interested, the Surratt boarding house is now a Chinese restaraunt. Of course when I came in to ask about it when I made my visit, the lady had no idea what I was talking about, but the plaque on the wall was helpful!)

I know Eurotrip is a terrible movie, but damn there are a couple things that make me laugh in that movie.
1) Fred Armisan as creepy ethnic train guy
2) Matt Damon as Fiona's boyfriend
3) Mime fight.
4) David Hasslehoff.
I wouldn't go so far to say it's completely terrible. It did have a few moments that made me chuckle, including the ones you just mentioned. But over all, even as an entry in the already very predictable, very bland "Teen comedy" genre, it was extra bland. So it gets a big meh. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I can't imagine anything ever making me go "You know what movie we should watch? Eurotrip!" I don't ever need to see it again.

fade

Staff member
Ultimate Avengers: The Movie

Right off the bat, let me say I am so glad they cut out HULK STRAIGHT. That may only come after the goddamned Batman and quiet or papa spank in terms of crappy comic dialogue. Overall mediocre. They could've done so much better, even with the weak source (I'm not an Ultimates fan, can you tell?). Artistically, why did they shade with gray? It looks like a photoshop from 2001 covered with burn tool. Meh. Good thing I was only half watching it.

Yeah, I'm with you there, fade. I dug the Ultimates comics for the fun, summer blockbuster popcorn flick kind of storytelling. And the animated movie isn't all the great I agree.

Word of advice? Skip the second one. It's not even worth it.

fade

Staff member
The Hunger Games

Not a bad flick. I have not read the book, so I can't compare. My wife has, and she liked it for the most part. She complained about the protagonists not being hurt enough by the end of the movie mostly. Most of the violence is hidden by an intentionally frenetic camera.

As for the story, well, it's been done to death. We've all seen movies, read books, and read stories with this same plot. Because of that, it does feel a little tired. The characters could stand to be explored a little better. I feel like we never really knew any of them by the time it was over. I know people complain about infodumping, but this story could've actually used a little more background info.

The Hunger Games
We've all seen movies, read books, and read stories with this same plot. Because of that, it does feel a little tired.
Name at least 3 that have seen mainstream reception. Three films where children fight to the death for corporate entertainment to save their own cities from starvation.

Seriously, I'd love to read them.

fade

Staff member
That would be a carbon copy. I'm not talking about the same story with a different title. I'm talking about the whole corruption of the game show to something involving human lives at stake in a dystopian world. Geez, I'm not the only person saying this.

In fact, I may go so far as to say that a majority of dystopian novels have some sort of fatal corrupted arena/game component at some point in the story.

That would be a carbon copy. I'm not talking about the same story with a different title. I'm talking about the whole corruption of the game show to something involving human lives at stake in a dystopian world. Geez, I'm not the only person saying this.
The Running Man. It's absolutely close to being the same, especially this movie. I've spoken with my wife who has read the books (er, listened through Audible) and from what she has told me about the next 2 books it varies enough to not feel unoriginal.

Taxi Driver
For whatever reason, I had misconceptions about the content of this movie and imagined it to be more about him as a psychotic, violent vigilante. Turns out it's like 80% build up to that moment. Still a great movie, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had either known NOTHING about it, or known a little more about it. The movie I had in my head was just quite different.

Watched Kung Fu Panda 2. I didn't like it as much as the first one but I still really enjoyed it! Its fun little kiddy Kung Fu movie.

Advanced screening of Avengers last night. Great movie, stay for the entire show. There's a clip less than midway through the credits, and another at the very end.

Advanced screening of Avengers last night. Great movie, stay for the entire show. There's a clip less than midway through the credits, and another at the very end.
Thank you for the credit info. I never know when I should stay through the credits.

Yep, my pleasure, it being a Marvel movie you knew there would be one. After the first one over half the theater filed out and missed the second one.

[Edit] It's apparently a bonus scene for the US, and wasn't in the international release.