[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
Drax says he used to make his daughter happy by...making monkey noises. Fucking WHAT?!? Because Drax, from another planet across the galaxy, used to make monkey noises. Because I guess this universe is made by Hello Games where all the planets have the same creatures on them. This movie is so fucking dumb.

Drax says he used to make his daughter happy by...making monkey noises. Fucking WHAT?!? Because Drax, from another planet across the galaxy, used to make monkey noises. Because I guess this universe is made by Hello Games where all the planets have the same creatures on them. This movie is so fucking dumb.
Ok, now you just sound like you are nitpicking to nitpick. Drax (and every other alien) appearing humanoid and speaking English is fine, but the idea that his planet has monkeys is too far?

Dave

Staff member
Ok, now you just sound like you are nitpicking to nitpick. Drax (and every other alien) appearing humanoid and speaking English is fine, but the idea that his planet has monkeys is too far?
Yes. It’s like every animal in the universe is exactly like those on earth and they have the same names and make the same sounds. Hence the “Hello Games” comparison. And don’t even get me started on Chekhov’s Sledgehammer which they used several times because of lazy writing.

Other than Rocket’s arc, the movie was dumb as shit and not in a fun way. The Creation of Adam scene, the shrill shrieking of Mantis and Nebula during the entire movie.

The tone of the movie was all over the place. One minute it’s a serious look at what happened to Rocket then it’s Drax making an actual poop joke because poop jokes are funny!

Nah. In my opinion not a good movie at all. And I loved the first one.

I don't think the Holiday Special is required watching at all. There's only two major plot points from that might be considered "important," and they're established in some exposition within the first 20-30 minutes of the Guardians 3. Neither one of them are vastly important in the grand scheme of things.

Spoilers for those two plot points, just in case.

1) That Mantis is Peter's half-sister.
2) That they own and run Knowhere now.

That's it. Anything else, you can fill in the blanks.

Dave

Staff member
That would be like putting information in Return of the Jedi that you only understood if you watched the Christmas episode. It’s a dumb move. They referenced #1 repeatedly and #2 is quite jarring if you don’t know what’s going on. Guess what? I didn’t see the Christmas special because Christmas specials are always lame cash grabs. To make it canon and necessary information is not smart. Sorry, I’m running out of ways to say it’s dumb with repeating myself.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can't watch it yet, not yet available on my platform of choice.
Neither is the Christmas special, I think. *hinthint*.
Man, it just came out yesterday! You have to give me until at least midnight (US Central) the DAY it comes out!

Incidentally, yes, it got there at 12:12 am this morning :p

Oh and the Holiday special should be there now too.

That would be like putting information in Return of the Jedi that you only understood if you watched the Christmas episode. It’s a dumb move. They referenced #1 repeatedly and #2 is quite jarring if you don’t know what’s going on. Guess what? I didn’t see the Christmas special because Christmas specials are always lame cash grabs. To make it canon and necessary information is not smart. Sorry, I’m running out of ways to say it’s dumb with repeating myself.
Remember when Luke shows up in return of the Jedi and he has a green lightsaber? Wtf is that, they didn't establish that at all! How are we supposed to know where it came from? I've got to read some comic book to get the background on how he made it? That's fucking dumb.

I don't actually care that you don't like the movie, marvel movies are all kinds plastic now anyway, but I can't pass up the chance to tease an old man

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember how disappointed I was at Spider Man 3 in the theater. It basically made me skip the Andrew Garfield reboots. Now I like it, warts and all.

Man, it just came out yesterday! You have to give me until at least midnight (US Central) the DAY it comes out!

Incidentally, yes, it got there at 12:12 am this morning :p

Oh and the Holiday special should be there now too.
Hey, I'm not asking for Eternals or Secret Invasion or anything :-P Or the newest Disneys!
Though, btw, I don't know if it's something on your end or mine or some backend server or whatever, but I'm getting a lot of subtitle errors or just none being found for things where they used to be present.

Sorry, wife is home recovering so she has a lot of time so suddenly wants to watch a bunch of stuff :aaah:

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, I'm not asking for Eternals or Secret Invasion or anything :-P Or the newest Disneys!
Though, btw, I don't know if it's something on your end or mine or some backend server or whatever, but I'm getting a lot of subtitle errors or just none being found for things where they used to be present.

Sorry, wife is home recovering so she has a lot of time so suddenly wants to watch a bunch of stuff :aaah:
Secret invasion is there. I didn't bother with Eternals because I heard it was so bad.

If the subtitles aren't there it means nobody's done them yet. Plex pulls subtitles from an online database now.

If the subtitles aren't there it means nobody's done them yet. Plex pulls subtitles from an online database now.
Yeah, I know, but we're currently somewhere halfway through the Tick and e.g. episode 3 had subtitles first time we started, and second time; nothing to be found. It's a bit weird, and I know there's been an issue before where it just returned errors for any search done and it was resolved a few days/weeks later.

Hadn't seen SI there yet, but I hadn't really looked - that and SNW we're waiting 'till more of the season is out :)

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I know, but we're currently somewhere halfway through the Tick and e.g. episode 3 had subtitles first time we started, and second time; nothing to be found. It's a bit weird, and I know there's been an issue before where it just returned errors for any search done and it was resolved a few days/weeks later.

Hadn't seen SI there yet, but I hadn't really looked - that and SNW we're waiting 'till more of the season is out :)
Just do what I do when you have a backlog, and re-watch Babylon 5 for the 30th time :thumbsup:

To go back on topic:
We watched the latest Indiana Jones movie, and I thought it was quite OK. I'm not a huge fan of Phoebe Waller, but other than that.... I'd definitely rate it above the 4th movie. It's a fine popcorn flick. Don't know why the internet seems to have a hate boner over Kathleen desecrating and destroying another franchise or whatever.

Also watched Turning Red. I get that I'm not the target audience, but still. I've seen other modern Disneys with more heart. Also not a huge fan of the animation style for the faces, but that's strictly personal preference.

Lastly, also watched Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantummania. Besides the typical "We don't have time to explain now! Just trust me!" followed by 25 minutes of nothing that's so prevalent in all movies everywhere, I liked it. if you want to complain about set-ups from other places, this does qualify though. Loki, Dr Strange and the MoM, perhaps What If...? are all kind of needed to understand Kang's backstory properly.
Post automatically merged:

Just do what I do when you have a backlog, and re-watch Babylon 5 for the 30th time :thumbsup:
I've tried to convince my wife to start DS9 which she hasn't seen yet, but she's not in the mood for long-form scifi at the moment.

Remember when Luke shows up in return of the Jedi and he has a green lightsaber? Wtf is that, they didn't establish that at all! How are we supposed to know where it came from? I've got to read some comic book to get the background on how he made it? That's fucking dumb.

I don't actually care that you don't like the movie, marvel movies are all kinds plastic now anyway, but I can't pass up the chance to tease an old man
That's exactly it. Stuff happened between each Star Wars movie. Same here. They're not huge, sweeping changes that you're really missing anything. One is a character connection that's mentioned a few times, but is largely not important to the whole story. The other is just a new base of operations. It's like getting angry they got a new ship but didn't show how they got it (they've had three so far by my count). Because it doesn't really matter.

If anything, Endgame is more required viewing. But even then, the only important thing there was Gamora died and another version of herself replaced her. And they mostly explain that we'll enough in this, so it's not entirely required, either.

figmentPez

Staff member
You're complaining that a universe where almost every intelligent species is humanoid, and speak languages that humans can learn and understand, also have species that resemble monkeys and that make similar noises? Because it kinda follows that if other species look almost exactly like humans, then they're going to have closely related species that resemble the species that are closely related to humans.

"But they wouldn't be called monkeys!" They're space monkeys. Are you not aware of the old science fiction trope? (Space Australia!) See also related tropes of: Translation Convention, Call A Smeerp a Rabbit, Fantastic Fauna Counterpart, and many more.

Also, even on earth humans do this thing where we call new animals a variation of old animals, even if they're not actually related. Bearcats are neither bears, nor cats. Red pandas are not pandas. Mountain goats are from a different genus than true goats. Etc. Etc. Not to mention sea cucumber, sea cow, sea horse, sea lion, etc. Imagine what we'll do if we ever get to another planet with life and have to start communicating about alien creatures.

So, rather than spend several minutes explaining convergent evolution, Peter's infectious personality and how everyone starts using his Earth references, whatever universal translator bullshit is going on in the MCU to let almost everyone speak English, etc. The movie just gets right to the character moment, and skips all the unimportant fluff. Because it is possible to explain that Drax once told Peter about the creatures on his home planet that are a different branch of the evolutionary tree that produced Kylosians, and Peter immediately said "those are monkeys, you're describing monkeys", so Drax now calls them monkeys, even though they had another name on his home planet. Or maybe the universal translator just uses the word monkey when Drax says f&$ghl because that's the closest equivalent word.

Personally, I prefer it when my science fiction just gets right to the point and avoids over explaining everything. I'll give a movie (game, book, etc.) the benefit of the doubt when it comes to shit like this if the pace keeps up, and the characters/story are interesting. I'd rather quickly have Drax make monkey noises and be instantly recognized as a dad doing silly dad things, than spend several minutes explaining why a space dad can do silly space dad things because there's a space lore space explanation of how made-up-species-name makes made-up-species-sounds on made-up-planet-name, and that's considered funny by Kylosian children (and not terrifying because made-up-species-sounds can't sound familiar and funny, it has to sound alien and thus not comfortingly familiar).

Have I over-explained everything enough to absolutely kill the joke? Or would you still like the movie to over-explain everything as well?

As much as I would love to be able to explain why a movie is actually good to someone who didn’t like it in a way that makes them actually agree, has that ever been successful for anyone?
I showed my girlfriend Everything, Everywhere all at Once today. She didn’t like it. I thanked her for giving it a try with me and agreed it might not be for everyone as it can be a very weird and crass at times.

Last edited:
Nah dude, that's just another hint that his comic origin applies, and he's actually a transformed earthling, made to kill Thanos by Thanos' dad...

Or maybe not, since they totally punk'd out with High Evolutionary being from earth, and just had him visiting...

Eelemental is a beautifully animated B+ Pixney movie! Felt the romantic subplot while cute was a bit heavy handed at times, but it's a fine film for a watch or two.

Eelemental is a beautifully animated B+ Pixney movie! Felt the romantic subplot while cute was a bit heavy handed at times, but it's a fine film for a watch or two.
Here's the big question I want to know. How do you (or anyone else who has seen it) feel this movie will play to t(w)eens? I know many adults are "meh"-ing it, but is that because it's actually aimed/tuned more to appeal to people who are brand new to the experience of hormones?

--Patrick

Here's the big question I want to know. How do you (or anyone else who has seen it) feel this movie will play to t(w)eens? I know many adults are "meh"-ing it, but is that because it's actually aimed/tuned more to appeal to people who are brand new to the experience of hormones?

--Patrick
Probably yeah, it's definitely got mature themes of racism , emotional honesty, and familial expectations, but it's VERY much a romance film.

Barbie
Barbie was really funny. Weird-funny most of the time. It definitely doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages to be very feminist (something Barbie in real life gets accused of not being, but they address that!). The movie goes over-the-top sometimes, which, if that's not your thing, you might not be into it. I found myself laughing pretty hard at a lot of it, and so did the rest of the theater. I may have also been making a mental checklist of all the Barbies I had or recognized. :oops:

Ryan Gosling's Ken is too much, in a good way. And Michael Cera fits Alan so well. I really want to rewatch the Kens scenes.

Barbie
Barbie was really funny. Weird-funny most of the time. It definitely doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages to be very feminist (something Barbie in real life gets accused of not being, but they address that!). The movie goes over-the-top sometimes, which, if that's not your thing, you might not be into it. I found myself laughing pretty hard at a lot of it, and so did the rest of the theater. I may have also been making a mental checklist of all the Barbies I had or recognized. :oops:

Ryan Gosling's Ken is too much, in a good way. And Michael Cera fits Alan so well. I really want to rewatch the Kens scenes.
Hailey wants to see it. Is it appropriate for a 10 year old?

Hailey wants to see it. Is it appropriate for a 10 year old?
I would say, that depends on how well-informed she is on gender politics? Without spoiling anything, the movie isn't rated PG-13 for the usual reasons. There's no graphic violence, no borderline nudity, and no profanity (except for one that gets bleeped out). However, it is a deeply feminist film, in the true definition of feminism being equality for both sexes, and what happens when they're imbalanced. It also talks about patriarchy, relationships between mothers and daughters, sexism, autonomy, capitalism...but all in a very silly way. It's very meta. So it's really your call on whether she'd understand the jokes at 10.

My main issue with Barbie, is that while I enjoyed it, it felt like it failed to stick the landing.
There was a whole story sitting there that role reversed the state of gender equality, and instead of taking it all the way, they stopped at a straight up dunking on the patriarchy, and it left me feeling unsatisfied. The Kens were basically still relegated to being accessories, Mattel's board is still all men, but hey, Barbie has a vagina!

Dave

Staff member
I watched Flash the other night. Aside from Ezra being a piece of shit it wasn’t a bad movie. It relied a bit too much on nostalgia and not so great CGI, but it was an okay movie. Glad I didn’t pay for it.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Visually this movie looks weird. It has a very different visual language from the past Guardian movies, and I don't really have the vocabulary to be able to articulate what is different, it just definitely looks different.

The first half of this movie, despite having a pressing issue and goal for the group presented right at the very start of the movie, still feels a little lost and meandering. Maybe I was also just getting used to the new visual style. But by the second half I feel like it definitely finds its footing, and finds its heart. Solid movie, I loved it as the ending to the previous movies, and yes I cried over the emotional abuse of a raccoon.

Though, there's a scene towards the end that literally broke me. Peter goes back to earth and tracks down his grandfather, who he discovers is still alive. My grandfather literally just died like three weeks ago, so this reunion immediately hit me and had me openly sobbing.

not so great CGI
The thing is that they said the CGI for the time travel parts was intentionally like that, and i kind of believe them... since there's other GCI that didn't look bad.

But it's really baffling why they use it like that instead of just slapping some cel-shading or some other stylised filter on it, to make the low-rez look better to the human eye.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Machine

Ehhh, it was ok. Seemed a bit stretched thin, and like Dave said, you need your brain COMPLETELY disengaged and spinning in neutral to fully enjoy it. Glad I didn't pay for it, but not mad about losing the time I spent watching it.