[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Also note that he thinks Robocop doesn't have a human brain, when it's explicitly said in universe they use (what's left of) Murphy's brain.
I think he means personality here, not literal brain. And that was one of the biggest changes that I hated in the remake. Original Robocop wakes up with no personality, the man in the machine only slowly comes out. The remake has him literally waking up as the same person with no changes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think he means personality here, not literal brain. And that was one of the biggest changes that I hated in the remake. Original Robocop wakes up with no personality, the man in the machine only slowly comes out. The remake has him literally waking up as the same person with no changes.
Ah, I never saw the remake because I could tell the instant I saw the new costume it was going to be shit.

I think that is one thing all of us can absolutely one hundred percent agree on in this discussion: The new Robocop is shit.

This whole discussion is practically a debate class and I LOVE IT!
I know, right? It's mostly civil and the arguments are well thought-out. I think I've spent too much reading comments on YouTube or Gamespot. I kept asking myself, "Where's the personal insults? Where are the insane leaps in logic? Why isn't anyone calling the other person a cuck or an SJW? WHAT'S GOING ON!?"

I know, right? It's mostly civil and the arguments are well thought-out. I think I've spent too much reading comments on YouTube or Gamespot. I kept asking myself, "Where's the personal insults? Where are the insane leaps in logic? Why isn't anyone calling the other person a cuck or an SJW? WHAT'S GOING ON!?"
They save that for the political section.

That was my biggest problem with the remake - in the original, Robocop can be controlled, predicted, and marketed because he's a blank slate. But the more that Murphy's memories and personality come back, the less grip OCP has on him. In short, it's very much the story of a hero being resurrected and freeing himself from the (corporate) underworld. Without that, where's the hero's story arc? It negates the necessary evolution of the protagonist and removes a lot of the compelling parts from the story.

I've mainly read the first three (plus Prelude). I think they would make great movies IF they could be distilled into 90-120min worth of script, each. I agree that the Mule was a little too deus ex machina-y, except that in this case the d-e-m is what creates the main plots of the story, and is not the means to its resolution like they usually are. Don't forget that there are also those half a dozen or so people who all were so sure they knew where F2 was.
Hmm...maybe not a movie. Independent miniseries? They're all the rage these days.

...and Leslie Nielsen was good at both.

--Patrick
Jonathan Nolan (writer/producer/brother to Christopher Nolan) has the Foundation series in his back pocket while he works on Westworld. There is a good chance it will be his next project for HBO.

fade

Staff member
That subforum is like my Ravenholm. "We don't go there anymore."
Me either (except for the funny pictures thread). Lately, I feel like political debate is almost pointless. Everyone has their mind made up, and no one is willing to bend.

Took my kids to see Power Rangers. It is very much an origin story, so the big fights don't happen until the end, but it was a decent story for what you'd expect from it.

I saw Logan.

Umm, I liked it, but I don't get the overwhelming praise for it. Maybe because standards are SO low from how shit most X-Men movies are. The ending did not hit me in the feels much. I dunno.

That's too harsh. It's a good movie. Great at parts. Mostly involving Patrick Stewart acting the shit out of everything. The little girl was pretty impressive too. She has an intense fucking stare.

Thought the villains were lame and that the corn syrup/GMO message is like 8 years too late to matter to anyone at this point.

Dave

Staff member
The ending of Logan was my ONLY bitch about the movie.

Little girl hears a line of dialogue from a movie ONCE and remembers it days later verbatim. And it just didn't make any fucking sense.

Little girl hears a line of dialogue from a movie ONCE and remembers it days later verbatim. And it just didn't make any fucking sense.
Eidetic memory is something that can occur among kids on the spectrum, which she could have easily been. Or just something she has without being so.

only the last line didn't make sense, and there's even a pause where the other kids look at her and she realizes she went too far

Ah. I read your response wrong and thought you meant the other way around. Big "doi" on my part. I really miss the quick tag option in the menu.

Okay, so, with that settled, one of the few criticisms I had with Logan:

There was zero emotional resonance with the dude that the children kill. He hunted Logan throughout the whole movie. It would've worked better if they'd killed the doctor guy who experimented on and tortured them. That would've been more appropriate.

Basically, Logan shot the wrong guy at the end.