[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

While I liked Deadpool, one of my issues with it was its overuse of swearing. I don't mind swearing, but I do when it's overused to the point of meaningless. Especially in a movie that has a lot of clever writing in it. They relied far too much on the "fuck crutch" as a writing teacher I once had called it. Like, near the end of the movie, when he's getting ready to do the big rescue, there's a string of fuck-shit-cock this and cock-shit-fuck that. As I watched it, all I saw was a wasted opportunity to do a lot of really funny lines.
The movie has 84 fucks, which is twice the number of fucks used by Lewis Black at a show that was then quoted as to why he couldn't do his stand-up at the Kennedy Center. Probably a coincidence ... OR, they had to say fuck that many times to properly out-do him. Either way, that's your trivia for today.

And this:

According to Kids in Mind, Deadpool contains:

84 F-words and its derivatives
34 scatological terms
21 sexual references
19 anatomical terms
9 religious exclamations
8 mild obscenities, name calling
3 obscene hand gestures

I just love the term "fuck crutch".
Me too. :D It's the perfect term for an overreliance on a couple of words. Again, I got nothing wrong with swearing. I swear all the time. It's just when it's OVERUSED that I have a problem with it. Like using any word too many times in writing. And the writing in Deadpool was incredibly clever at times. To lean on the fuck crutch so often was a detriment to the movie when they're capable of doing so much better.

GasBandit

Staff member
While I liked Deadpool, one of my issues with it was its overuse of swearing. I don't mind swearing, but I do when it's overused to the point of meaningless. Especially in a movie that has a lot of clever writing in it. They relied far too much on the "fuck crutch" as a writing teacher I once had called it. Like, near the end of the movie, when he's getting ready to do the big rescue, there's a string of fuck-shit-cock this and cock-shit-fuck that. As I watched it, all I saw was a wasted opportunity to do a lot of really funny lines.
You should watch an HBO series called Deadwood :D

Here's just season ONE.

Everything wrong with X-Men Apocalypse in a nutshell: they filmed a scene with the younger X-Men in a mall but decided not to use it.

Dave

Staff member
Wow. I'm very glad they left that out. Talk about taking a different tone than the rest of the movie. And why would Nightcrawler suddenly know how to breakdance?

And why does nobody give a shit that they are mutants? No sideways looks at the blue guy with fangs and a devil's tail?

Wow. I'm very glad they left that out. Talk about taking a different tone than the rest of the movie. And why would Nightcrawler suddenly know how to breakdance?

And why does nobody give a shit that they are mutants? No sideways looks at the blue guy with fangs and a devil's tail?
Because mutants had been outed in the previous movie.

that wouldn't stop ignorant and stupid people from staring or saying anything. I mean, there was no reaction at all to them, which is just unrealistic. I know, I know. It's a movie.
I think it's not just the fact that mutants were outed, but the fact that the public saw a mutant save the President. That would probably help to normalize them, but you're right in that there could have probably been at least someone who'd at least be skeptical of their presence.

As for the scene itself, yeah, it's okay but definitely feels like it wouldn't have fit. I'm still a little miffed that they basically wasted Jubilee in this movie.

That's an interesting take-away from the movie. I didn't even pick up on the overuse of swearing. Then again, everyone I know uses profanity every other word.

Dave

Staff member
Which I never understood the big call for swearing in the movie. The comics don't have that kind of potty mouth.
Only because they can't.[DOUBLEPOST=1473776124,1473776043][/DOUBLEPOST]I just got to meet someone from the Deadpool movie. I didn't realize it was TJ Miller until he spoke.

fade

Staff member
Deadpool

Despite being a huge fan of the comic, I only just saw this movie. I enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely fun. A little light on plot, though. Also, maybe it's because I watched it too many times, but it felt like the "leaked" test reel footage was shoehorned in because they had it already. Didn't seem to match. Why didn't Colossus go fleshy at any point?

Deadpool

Despite being a huge fan of the comic, I only just saw this movie. I enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely fun. A little light on plot, though. Also, maybe it's because I watched it too many times, but it felt like the "leaked" test reel footage was shoehorned in because they had it already. Didn't seem to match. Why didn't Colossus go fleshy at any point?
They could only afford rights to half of the character.

GasBandit

Staff member
Deadpool

Because they made him a metal Incredible Hulk instead of, you know, a large muscular man who could make his skin metal. So they couldn't really use a live action actor, and the CGI "regular skin" probably wouldn't have been up to snuff.

I watched Kingsglaive last night and the CGI is amazing! Each SE movie gets better and better and there were a couple of times that I thought it was a live action movie. Plus it has Sean Bean and Lena Headey in it so there's that.

X

Dave

Staff member
I said this on our group chat last night when shit was broke, but I just watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople". This is made by the same people that did "What We Do In The Shadows" and it, too, is from New Zealand. I liked it quite a bit. Sam Neill is the big name in it and he is wonderful. Not as funny as Shadows, but this one is worth watching.

I watched Kingsglaive last night and the CGI is amazing! Each SE movie gets better and better and there were a couple of times that I thought it was a live action movie. Plus it has Sean Bean and Lena Headey in it so there's that.

X
Does it have an absurdly convoluted plot?