[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Made for TV movie, but I'm counting it- Regular Show the Movie

Damn good TV movie, full of references to the show that I loved. ALSO-
Mordecai saying "I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise" matching what former future Mordecai said in reference to him and Margaret. I don't care what the "Mordaret" shippers think after "Just Friends" that was basically a death sentence.

Serpico- Wow that...that sure was a movie. Don't get me wrong I liked it, but MAN was it slow. Minor criticism mind you, good story, Pacino was great, and the lack of time transitions was an interesting mechanic. One thing I wonder though, how much money did they spend on hats for this film? Because Serpico wore like- A THOUSAND!

Creed is kind of amazing. Like "there could be Oscar nods for this" amazing.
I feel like this movie had no right to be good. I mean... it has to be a shitty attempt to cash in on the already plummeting franchise, right? But it's actually pretty amazing.

Michael B Jordan is officially forgiven for Fanfourstic

I feel like this movie had no right to be good. I mean... it has to be a shitty attempt to cash in on the already plummeting franchise, right? But it's actually pretty amazing.

None of the actors should be held responsible for that legal rights extending stunt of a movie.

Apparently the writer/director of CREED approached Stallone with the idea for CREED before he made Fruitvale Station. Stallone kind of dug the idea but wasn't willing to risk the property on an unknown... then Fruitvale Station came out, Stallone really liked it, and the next time they saw each other CREED essentially started production.

GasBandit

Staff member
Boogie Nights

YOU GOT THE TOUCH! YOU GOT THE POWER!

Seriously though, fan-TAS-tic movie.
Ha ha ha... when I first heard them performing that song, a long forgotten part of me started thrashing around and it took a minute before I recognized where I'd heard the song before. It was a kick right to the childhood.

Another funny anecdote - it sounded so bad I was impressed by Wahlberg's ability to convincingly sing a song terribly.. until I learned he was actually trying his best and he really is just that awful. Now we know why his music career was in rap.

I also just find it funny because its supposed to be in 1983 at the time, so we're to assume Dirk wrote this song THREE years before the Transformers movie, and then the record producer sold it to Stan Bush who gave credit. Which...given the constraints of this industry I could believe.

Saw Mocking Jay part Deux. Never saw any of the other movies (went with a friend who begged me to go with her since no one else would).

What a pile of nonsense.

WHY MAKE YOUR SMAGICAL COMPUTER ZOMBIES KILLABLE?

WHY TURN YOUR CITY INTO AN OVERWROUGHT DEATHTRAP?

Was it worth the effort to make a bowl out of one of your city squares and set up MILLIONS OF GALLONS OF OIL to fill it? WHY?[DOUBLEPOST=1448759929,1448759569][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it's on par with Return of the King with the amount of useless false finishes it has.

I think the second one is a solid movie, but I can leave the rest.

I'll probably see the fourth eventually, if only for Donald Sutherland and Jennifer Lawrence. But I'll do it in the comfort of my own home, not trapped at the movies for 2 and a half hours.

Also saw "The Hustler" the other day and HOO BOY was it dark, great film. ALSO- I finally get when Arnoald says "Rack em again Fat man" in Hey Arnold!

Also saw "The Hustler" the other day and HOO BOY was it dark, great film. ALSO- I finally get when Arnoald says "Rack em again Fat man" in Hey Arnold!
Fun story! My dad was once a semi-professional pool player, and actually played (and beat) the real Minnesota Fats (Rudolf Wanderone) at a promotional event that Fats was at.

Though, if you're wondering, the book character came first. Wanderone changed his name from "New York Fats" to "Minnesota Fats" for publicity.

I also just find it funny because its supposed to be in 1983 at the time, so we're to assume Dirk wrote this song THREE years before the Transformers movie, and then the record producer sold it to Stan Bush who gave credit. Which...given the constraints of this industry I could believe.

out of all 155 minutes of Boogie Nights, the hangup about reality is the coincidental use of the same song from a children's movie

I didn't realize there have been 4 of them already.

--Patrick
The new thing is to take a series of books and adapt them one-for-one until the final book, then split that into two movies for additional profit.

For example, if Lord of the Rings was being made now, it would be The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King Part 1, and Return of the King Part 2.

The new thing is to take a series of books and adapt them one-for-one until the final book, then split that into two movies for additional profit.

For example, if Lord of the Rings was being made now, it would be The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King Part 1, and Return of the King Part 2.
Well... the trend started with Harry Potter, but that last book was a MONSTER of one so they sort of had to unless they wanted to make some major cuts. But pretty much everything after has been a cash grab.

Well... the trend started with Harry Potter, but that last book was a MONSTER of one so they sort of had to unless they wanted to make some major cuts. But pretty much everything after has been a cash grab.
I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but from what I'm told if they'd had to cut a bunch of stuff, then it would've been in line with some of the other movies in the series. I remember "Harry Potter and Half the Book" was a joke about Goblet of Fire.

I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but from what I'm told if they'd had to cut a bunch of stuff, then it would've been in line with some of the other movies in the series. I remember "Harry Potter and Half the Book" was a joke about Goblet of Fire.
The problem with Deathly Hallows was that each individual segment goes on for too long... but you can't cut most them. If you did, it wouldn't make sense as a story.

- You can't cut the wedding. People wanted it.
- You can't cut the forest too much more than you did (and they cut it down significantly).
- You can't cut the infighting (though it made Ron look much crazier in the book where Herminone and Harry aren't falling over each other)
- You can't cut the return to the house. They already cut most of it and you need Dobby to show up later.
- You can't cut Malfoy manor. This is where Harry beats Malfoy and it's where they figure out just where the hell to go next.
- You can't cut the bank. It has a horcrux.
- You can't cut Hogsmead.
- You can't cut any more of Hogwarts.

Compare this to Goblet of Fire, which actually cut out pretty much all the bullshit.

Kinda annoyed they made a big deal about not cutting out those things, yet Dobby was barely in the entire fucking FRANCHISE! Also Tonks, Fenrir, and Hagrid's brother who was RUINED by CGI. Oh why wouldn't they let Terry Gilliam do these?!

But with all the crazy amount of shit in these books, it would've worked a LOT better as several mini-series.

I saw Goblet of Fire once, felt like a clip show. That was when I decided to check out of the movies. They were not good adaptations.

I think the book that suffered the most from cuts was Prisoner of Azkaban. They really didn't nail how much of a dick Harry's dad actually was to Snape, which becomes super important later on. And the whole house elf subplot was left out entirely, making Dobby's reappearance in the last movies seem out of place.

Prisoner was my favorite book and my least favorite movie. But I've heard people say that about Order of the Phoenix too.

I think the book that suffered the most from cuts was Prisoner of Azkaban. They really didn't nail how much of a dick Harry's dad actually was to Snape, which becomes super important later on. And the whole house elf subplot was left out entirely, making Dobby's reappearance in the last movies seem out of place.

Prisoner was my favorite book and my least favorite movie. But I've heard people say that about Order of the Phoenix too.
To be fair, Dobby comes out of left field in the last book too. He basically shows up because he saw Krecher in Knockturn Alley (doing something for Hogwarts), found out Harry was in a tight spot, and offered to help. He comes out of nowhere, really.

Dave

Staff member
To be fair, Dobby comes out of left field in the last book too. He basically shows up because he saw Krecher in Knockturn Alley (doing something for Hogwarts), found out Harry was in a tight spot, and offered to help. He comes out of nowhere, really.
Dobby ex Machina?

Dobby ex Machina?
Yes... and no. It's not strange that Dobby would be doing errands for Hogwarts, as he's one of two free elves on staff and thus can teleport in and out of Hogwarts. It's not odd that he'd know Krecher because Krecher has been alive FOREVER and Dobby probably met him through the Malfoys. And it's not odd that he'd help Harry. Really, if the whole "destiny" thing wasn't involved, I'd have called it bullshit.