[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Kinda obvious, its a prequel that has nothing to do with the original author. Now SEQUELS that have nothing to do with the original author-

Can be pretty damn good....weird, but good.

Kinda obvious, its a prequel that has nothing to do with the original author. Now SEQUELS that have nothing to do with the original author-

Can be pretty damn good....weird, but good.
I credit this movie with launching my koonago phase when I was younger.

("koonago" should be considered a risky search for work)

Tremors 5: Did anyone else know they'd gotten up to five? I remember watching 4 years ago, but this new fifth one went completely under the radar! Burt Gummer is back, only now there are graboids in Africa, and they're a little different because evolution. So he and his new partner gotta go hunt the graboids.

The first 45 minutes are a lot of fun. The CGI is actually good, and the new designs look creepy. There's tension and humor in the way you expect out of these movies. ... then we get to the 45 minute mark. What follows are five minutes of piss jokes, then another really stupid scene, and while I was hoping the movie could get back on track after this bizarre and fucking dumb diversion, instead it divides into two tracks that feel like completely different movies; one following Burt hunting the nest, and another following new characters being attacked at a ranch.

My problem is that it does essentially what Tremors 3 and Tremors 4 did wherein by the finale it feels like the movie gives up on any attempt at tension. It's not being funny either; it's just "yeah, we're at the end of the movie and we already know we're going to win, so none of us are going to act worried or like there's any adrenaline going on or anything." In one scene, a little girl is being menaced by a graboid's CGI snake tongues and it's clear she was given very little direction beyond "there are objects moving around you, make sure to look at them," so she just looks around with a blank expression, not like there are big snake mouths snapping at her face.

I was really into this movie for those first 45 minutes; it was a shame to see it fall apart for the rest of it. Got a bit over-referential too. Some lines from other movies is one thing, but there's a scene aping the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park. Not even a parody--you think they're just going to do the raptor breathing on the round window on the door, but no. They clearly built the set to model the kitchen from Jurassic Park, and proceed to mimic many parts of that scene.

And why did I expect otherwise? It's the fifth in the franchise, and there was a TV show at one point too. I just didn't expect to see a lion pissing on Burt Gummer's face in one of these movies. :facepalm: Way to aim for the Adam Sandler levels of quality.

I also recently watched Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, which was much much better, but I think people are tired of seeing me mention Godzilla movies on this. That said, I should've watched a Godzilla movie last night instead of Tremors 5.

fade

Staff member
The Halloween Tree

I "found" a copy of this somewhere, because it seems to be difficult to get. Anyway, I remember liking this when I was younger (though looking at the date I think I was in college), so I thought my kids would like it. Daughter did. 12 yo son couldn't stand it. Oh well. I still enjoyed it, though Nimoy hams it up too much, even for a cartoon.

The Phantom Menace

Ha. So, my daughter has never really been introduced to Star Wars. So we're watching them in preparation for VII. This is an accurate portrayal of her reactions:

IV: What is this? Oh. This is cool!
V: WOW. Awesome, when can we watch the next one.
VI: Leia is kind of badass! Cool! Ewoks are cute! Next.
I: Dad, this is boring.

The Halloween Tree

I "found" a copy of this somewhere, because it seems to be difficult to get. Anyway, I remember liking this when I was younger (though looking at the date I think I was in college), so I thought my kids would like it. Daughter did. 12 yo son couldn't stand it. Oh well. I still enjoyed it, though Nimoy hams it up too much, even for a cartoon.

The Phantom Menace

Ha. So, my daughter has never really been introduced to Star Wars. So we're watching them in preparation for VII. This is an accurate portrayal of her reactions:

IV: What is this? Oh. This is cool!
V: WOW. Awesome, when can we watch the next one.
VI: Leia is kind of badass! Cool! Ewoks are cute! Next.
I: Dad, this is boring.
And thus, a new meme was born: Fade's daughter didn't like it.[DOUBLEPOST=1444658016,1444657933][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tremors 5: Did anyone else know they'd gotten up to five? I remember watching 4 years ago, but this new fifth one went completely under the radar! Burt Gummer is back, only now there are graboids in Africa, and they're a little different because evolution. So he and his new partner gotta go hunt the graboids.

The first 45 minutes are a lot of fun. The CGI is actually good, and the new designs look creepy. There's tension and humor in the way you expect out of these movies. ... then we get to the 45 minute mark. What follows are five minutes of piss jokes, then another really stupid scene, and while I was hoping the movie could get back on track after this bizarre and fucking dumb diversion, instead it divides into two tracks that feel like completely different movies; one following Burt hunting the nest, and another following new characters being attacked at a ranch.

My problem is that it does essentially what Tremors 3 and Tremors 4 did wherein by the finale it feels like the movie gives up on any attempt at tension. It's not being funny either; it's just "yeah, we're at the end of the movie and we already know we're going to win, so none of us are going to act worried or like there's any adrenaline going on or anything." In one scene, a little girl is being menaced by a graboid's CGI snake tongues and it's clear she was given very little direction beyond "there are objects moving around you, make sure to look at them," so she just looks around with a blank expression, not like there are big snake mouths snapping at her face.

I was really into this movie for those first 45 minutes; it was a shame to see it fall apart for the rest of it. Got a bit over-referential too. Some lines from other movies is one thing, but there's a scene aping the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park. Not even a parody--you think they're just going to do the raptor breathing on the round window on the door, but no. They clearly built the set to model the kitchen from Jurassic Park, and proceed to mimic many parts of that scene.

And why did I expect otherwise? It's the fifth in the franchise, and there was a TV show at one point too. I just didn't expect to see a lion pissing on Burt Gummer's face in one of these movies. :facepalm: Way to aim for the Adam Sandler levels of quality.

I also recently watched Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, which was much much better, but I think people are tired of seeing me mention Godzilla movies on this. That said, I should've watched a Godzilla movie last night instead of Tremors 5.
For me, Tremors is kind of like Die Hard: the first one is the only one.

And thus, a new meme was born: Fade's daughter didn't like it.
I think a child disliking The Phantom Menace is a sign of good parenting.

Honestly, if I was prepping my cousins to see Episode VII, I'd just show them the original trilogy. I have a feeling Abrams is going to reference the prequels about as many times as you're going to hear the f-bomb in this particular Disney movie.

For me, Tremors is kind of like Die Hard: the first one is the only one.
I thought Tremors 2 was good, but I haven't seen it in a long time and I'm sure the CGI for the shriekers doesn't hold up. But yeah, the first one is the best.

From what I hear, Tremors 5 is supposed to be a revitalization for the franchise, so they intend to make more. Hopefully not like this. What'd really shock anyone watching is if Kevin Bacon showed up again, even just for a cameo.

I think a child disliking The Phantom Menace is a sign of good parenting.

Honestly, if I was prepping my cousins to see Episode VII, I'd just show them the original trilogy. I have a feeling Abrams is going to reference the prequels about as many times as you're going to hear the f-bomb in this particular Disney movie.
There are rumors of jar jar bones showing up in the new one.

Hahahahhaa oh my god, I was going to rant about that too, but by the time I got home I had managed to purge the song used in the scene from my head and could no longer remember which one it was. NOW IT'S BACK AND THE SCENE IS STUCK IN MY HEAD.

My feelings on Tremors...

Tremors 1 is a classic.
Tremors 2 is a pretty decent sequel.
Tremors 3 sets up the TV show, but otherwise retreads stuff.
Tremors: Back to Perfection was great! Highest rated show on the channel, no matter what time slot they stuck it in that weak. Got cancelled because the executive in charge of it hated it and wanted to do reality shows.
Tremors 4 is... a bit out there. But it does have some good scenes.
I have yet to see Tremors 5.

I've seen the original Tremors and I remember hearing there was a Tremors 2.
I had no idea they didn't let this franchise die until I recently saw an ad for Tremors 5. What the what?

It's the "making money" part I'm confused about.
There's a bizarre charm to the movies, for the most part. The movies are obviously shot with a tight budget but they make it work, by and large. Most of the cast are steadily-working character actors so they do their parts pretty well, with a few exceptions. They're not great movies but they're easy to watch.

Cajungal

Staff member
I was curious about The Visit...even though Shyamalan was involved. There's a part of me that still really wishes he could succeed, because there's potential there.

It wasn't amazing. It's wasn't overwhelming. But I still liked it. It was a claustrophobic, creepy movie that didn't take itself too seriously. I was laughing a lot, at jokes that were (surprisingly) intended. He tends to write young people a bit strangely. They all seem older or wiser somehow. This time your kid characters were a kind of pretentious aspiring filmmaker and her young brother who thinks he's a rapper. The actors who played the grandparents were extremely creepy.

There were a lot of little hints about the twist, but for some reason, I couldn't figure it out until the end. It's a pretty good one. I don't know if everyone would like this scary movie. I'm really easy to scare, so everything freaks me out. Still, I think this shows promise. Again, not amazing, but it's interesting and really kept my attention.

I had been curious about Unfriended just because I like how horror reflects more "real" fears and issues. A cyberbullying horror movie intrigued me even though it didn't look great. The idea was interesting, but it felt so tedious at times. Also, I don't know if this was intended or not, but I didn't feel scared or sorry for any of them. They were all kind of douchey and unlikable. I guess that's most teenagers in scary movies.

The big reveal that she shat her pants in the drunk video was more funny than anything. Also, the jump scare at the very end was incredibly cheap.

Actually... I could see that working in an adaptation, given the right sort of setting. Just not this one.
Yeah, it could totally work in the right setting... like, make the movie in the Modern Day, but have Peter have been a kid of the 80's and he's just kinda been stuck there because you don't get old in Neverland.

I found it weird that they decided that Venkat Kapoor being a Hindu (and Indian in general) was too much for people.

So he became Vincent Kapoor with no religion.

I found it weird that they decided that Venkat Kapoor being a Hindu (and Indian in general) was too much for people.

So he became Vincent Kapoor with no religion.
Pretty sure that's just because Irrfan Khan, their first choice, dropped out not long before shooting from what I hear, with Chiwetel Ejiofor not actually being Indian leading to diluting the character's background.

The Martian

Wow. Loved this movie. Every moment of it was great. Even though I figured how it'd end, I was still on the edge of my seat at times. Brilliant cinematography and some great acting from Matt Damon. Though he felt a little bit too Star Lord-ish at times.

Oddly enough, the movie's message at the end may have given me just the kind of inspiration I needed to fight this depression. We'll see.