[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
Not sure what that means. Are we talking trauma triggers like Inside Out, or issues with audience members, or...?
Audience members. I know it's a racial stereotype, but it's there for a reason. Such things include showing up late, talking to each other in a normal tone of voice, yelling at the screen, etc. It's a cultural thing. There's a reason comedians talk about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Audience members. I know it's a racial stereotype, but it's there for a reason. Such things include showing up late, talking to each other in a normal tone of voice, yelling at the screen, etc. It's a cultural thing. There's a reason comedians talk about it.
I suppose that's a possibility. Didn't happen when I went, but then I live in Yeehawbutts, Texas.

The only thing that angers me more than people talking during a movie are characters in movies or tv shows talking in a theater.

Watched Lucy over the weekend. It was meh.
Lucy could have been so much better
Except that ever since scarlett got her uber-brain, she was never in any real danger. So, 80% of the movie is just masturbatory. There's no tension.

I got Kingsman weeks ago, but we never watched it because my wife hates british spy movies. So I watched it myself while she was at work. Then I made her watch it when she got home. I made us martinis and we watched on the big screen in the basement. She thought it was freaking awesome ;)

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Kingsman is amazing...until the very last, completely unnecessary ass shot. Her whole character is just there as a reward for the good guy. I mean, she goes from the leader of a country to a fuck-toy because...um...plot? Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ass, but it serves no purpose.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kingsman is amazing...until the very last, completely unnecessary ass shot. Her whole character is just there as a reward for the good guy. I mean, she goes from the leader of a country to a fuck-toy because...um...plot? Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ass, but it serves no purpose.
Spoilered just in case,

As much as I laughed at it when it happened, the whole "if you save the world we can do it in the ass" gag did seem out of place. It was entirely inconsistent. I mean, granted, who doesn't want to buttbang a nordic princess, but treating it so crassly in the movie is less James Bond and more Austin Powers... which makes for a discomfiting lurch in tone that conflicts with the rest of the movie.

To be fair, the movie's based on a comic by Mark Millar, famous for things like Kick Ass, Wanted, and this:

The guy's daughter and son were kidnapped and the main villain artificially inseminated the guy's daughter with her brother's sperm. Yes I'm serious.

How old were his kids that his daughter isn't the one making the choice. Also, weirdest villain choice ever. He didn't make them have sex, he just artificially inseminated her and then went lololol? I don't even understand the point.

How old were his kids that his daughter isn't the one making the choice. Also, weirdest villain choice ever. He didn't make them have sex, he just artificially inseminated her and then went lololol? I don't even understand the point.
They were kidnapped and drugged I think, and the son was secretly gay. The whole book is completely bonkers, it's basically what would happen if Batman were a completely villainous psycho.

There's no real point to anything the villain does outside of making the father's (the cop who's chasing him) life as absolutely miserable as possible until he dies.

I didn't like Samuel L Jackson's lisp. It didn't add anything for me. It just made him difficult to understand. I agree with Dave that the ending was not all butt obvious.

Saw The Man from UNCLE.

It seems super competent, stylish as hell, briskly paced, etc but for whatever reason it did NOTHING for me. It wasn't bad. But, I can't put my finger on what about it left me cold. Henry Cavill was fine, as was Armie Hammer and Alicia Vikander.

I can see now why Armie Hammer was passed over for Bruce Wayne in BvS, he makes Cavill look like a little dude. I don't get any of the hate the dude gets.

Spoilered just in case,

As much as I laughed at it when it happened, the whole "if you save the world we can do it in the ass" gag did seem out of place. It was entirely inconsistent. I mean, granted, who doesn't want to buttbang a nordic princess, but treating it so crassly in the movie is less James Bond and more Austin Powers... which makes for a discomfiting lurch in tone that conflicts with the rest of the movie.
http://www.avclub.com/article/kingsman-director-matthew-vaughn-says-films-final--215474
Kingsman director Matthew Vaughn says it’s actually the opposite. He says the intention was to subvert the old James Bond cliché of the hero receiving sex as a reward by having the girl offer it on her own. He says it’s actually “empowering,”
In his own words:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/1...eals-secrets-behind-church-scene-sex-joke-and

I was surprised when people are saying to me, “I loved the movie. I think it’s great, but I was offended by that.” I said, “Really? That’s more offensive than exploding heads, massacres in church, swearing, people being cut in half?” I was like, come on. It’s just a joke. It’s not even graphic.

How did the scene play out in the version without the joke?
What you do is you say, “If you save the world, I’ll give you more than a kiss.” That’s it. Then he goes back for it and shuts the door. That’s it. Then you go, “Yeah, that’s okay.” For the 20 percent who were offended by it, there are 80 percent who are rolling around laughing so hard. Those 20 percent of people just need to lighten up a little bit.
I'm in that 80% camp. I thought it was funny and fun. And honestly, if a little rear coochie and fan service offend you (and I mean "you" in the general sense here) more than exploding heads, gratuitous violence, and all of the other crazy offensive things in the movie, that's as much of a reflection of America's whacked out puritanical values as anything. When I saw it, I immediately thought it was a play on the old spy movie cliche of the super spy getting the girl in the end (in the end..hah!), just ramped up to 2015 movie standards where shock and in-your-face explicit depiction are more common than class and subtlety--which fits the style of the entire production.

Last edited:
I think if everyone knew that is was a Bond-satire then it wouldn't have felt out of place. I didn't realize that it was supposed to be satire. I thought it was some sort of Kill Bill thing. The humor fell flat for me. The problem was that I didn't read anything about it. I saw the cover, the actors, and the title, and thought it was going to be a "serious" spy movie. I honestly would have rather seen a well-done "serious" spy film with Michael Caine and Mr Darcy.

GasBandit

Staff member
http://www.avclub.com/article/kingsman-director-matthew-vaughn-says-films-final--215474

In his own words:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/1...eals-secrets-behind-church-scene-sex-joke-and

I'm in that 80% camp. I thought it was funny and fun. And honestly, if a little rear coochie and fan service offend you (and I mean "you" in the general sense here) more than exploding heads, gratuitous violence, and all of the other crazy offensive things in the movie, that's as much of a reflection of America's whacked out puritanical values as anything. When I saw it, I immediately thought it was a play on the old spy movie cliche of the super spy getting the girl in the end (in the end..hah!), just ramped up to 2015 movie standards where shock and in-your-face explicit depiction are more common than class and subtlety--which fits the style of the entire production.
Well, I laughed when it happened, but it was still a jarring shift in tone. Also, I don't buy the "subvert the trope" BS. He still "received it as a reward," it was just now explicitly stated instead of merely happening as a matter of course. Unless he's calling James Bond a rapist... Anyway, what a director says/wants isn't always right or what's best. After all, look what happened to the Star Wars original trilogy when George Lucas got to go back and redo them how he "really wanted" them.

Godzilla vs Monster Zero: Really REALLY disappointed that unlike Don Frye in Final Wars, the Japanese audio track has Nick Adams dubbed in Japanese, which means either version has a dubbed performance, and that's too bad because I would've liked the full effect of him and Akira Takarada's two characters together. So I'm kind of attached to the English version, but the Japanese cut is cleaner ... perhaps too clean, as now I can see some of Ghidorah's wires.

Wife had a good time watching this one; it's campy and fun.

Godzilla vs Hedorah/Godzilla vs the Smog Monster: Wife requested this one after me telling her how awful it was, and soon came to regret it. A lot of it is funny-awful, but at many points it devolves into slow-awful, and then disturbing-awful, like crying babies stuck in sludge, and the cartoon segments, and the people shouting at the camera, and Godzilla flying, and ripping out organs, and it's hard to believe this isn't quite the absolute worst Godzilla movie. I've seen both in English and Japanese, dubbed and subbed, and it sucks no matter what way you watch it. This is the only Godzilla film I would categorize as pretentious--many of them have a silly "moral of the story" moment at the end, but take that and blow it up to movie size plus 70s acid trip weirdness, and that's this film.

I can't believe the director still wants there to be a sequel and spin-off decades after Toho told him not to let the door hit his ass on the way out. He got a token credit in Godzilla 2014; that should be more than enough.

I understand why people hate it...but its still one of my favorites. SO damn weird, the seventies animated scenes, shoe-horned symbolism, Godzilla flying with use of his atomic breath, absolutely silly and I LOVE it. HOWEVER- I will not debate with those who don't like it, it is a love/hate kind of film.

Prefer the sub though, that "Superman beats em all!" line never sat well with me.

I understand why people hate it...but its still one of my favorites. SO damn weird, the seventies animated scenes, shoe-horned symbolism, Godzilla flying with use of his atomic breath, absolutely silly and I LOVE it. HOWEVER- I will not debate with those who don't like it, it is a love/hate kind of film.

Prefer the sub though, that "Superman beats em all!" line never sat well with me.
That line is so out of nowhere. This is really the first Superhero Godzilla film, this is the one that started that section of the Showa series, and then the dub is "how about that Superman?" So dumb. And unfortunately the dub no longer has the English version of "Save the Earth" so there's really no reason to bother with it.

And I wouldn't sweat you on it being a favorite. I think every Godzilla fan has at least one terrible Godzilla movie that for some reason they adore and rank among their favorites right alongside with the good ones. I acknowledge and agree with nearly every criticism of Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, but it's still up there as one of my favorites.

And though I'd consider vs Hedorah to be in the bottom five Godzilla movies, it's by no means the worst. Godzilla 1998 and Godzilla's Revenge are both worse. Perhaps Raids Again, but I need to see the sub to really determine that.

That line is so out of nowhere. This is really the first Superhero Godzilla film, this is the one that started that section of the Showa series, and then the dub is "how about that Superman?" So dumb. And unfortunately the dub no longer has the English version of "Save the Earth" so there's really no reason to bother with it.
Shit, really? Loved that version, it was pretty much the dub's only saving grace.

I knew Destroy All Monsters had a rights issue for a while, which is why I didn't get a VHS of it until I was a teenager, but I didn't learn until yesterday that the rights involved the old 1960s English dub, or that Toho's solution to that issue was to do their own dub--their own terrible dub.

That's the only version I'd ever fucking seen and it ruined the fucking movie. There are clips of the old dub online, but it's pretty much a lost relic now.

Only last night did I finally watch the subtitled version on Hulu free and it's so much better. Entire lines of conversation are different between the dub and sub, so that the dub not only has the telltale dub-filler, aka fill in their mouths moving shit like lots of "yes" "of course" "let's go" and "repeat the last thing said, but make it sound like a question", but there's pretty much no acting in the second dub. People just say their lines with monotone authority, regardless of the situation--playful banter, military instruction, news editorial, anything ...

Not only did the sub improve the movie--I actually like the movie now. It's not ever going to be a favorite Godzilla film, but at least I'll enjoy it.

Speaking of favorites ... Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. @Yoshimickster Like I said, we each have one :p. I just really get into it and enjoy the hell out of it. It's probably less slow to me than to other people because I used to watch it all the time on Sci-Fi channel with commercial breaks, so their absence essentially makes the movie breeze by. But I like that there's an actually sinister villain in the Heisei series, and I enjoy the characters--the whole thing. I just love this movie.

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster: I know people regard this as a pretty terrible Godzilla movie, partly because it was supposed to be a King Kong movie ... and really, it is a terrible Godzilla movie, but I don't think it's a terrible movie overall. It's pretty funny, and intentionally for a change. I have some sentiment to this one as after I got it for my 9th birthday, I'd watch it when I wasn't feeling well. I'm glad it held up as being a good pick-me-up. Funny seeing Akihiko Hirata in an eyepatch again.

Rodan: Speaking of holding up ... this is really fucking good. Suspenseful, builds well, interesting. Escalation is an important factor. Things get so big and dire by the end, it's crazy this starts with just some flooding in a mine. The Rodan suit never looked this good afterward, which is sad. They really had a great look for the face here and then went super-doofy years later when Rodan returns.

One thing that skewed for me was my memory of the English dub ... I remembered it much more fondly than it deserved, as the narrator was the same as for Godzilla Raids Again, and talks too damn much. I went with the Japanese version, but had to check on the English since there's no dialogue at the end of the subbed version. Well, they certainly added a ton, mostly poetic bullshit that my younger mind somehow interpreted as a tragic ending. Haha, nope.

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla: I've seen this twice, but couldn't seem to remember much past the beginning, and now I know why--it's just not very memorable. Will I remember that it's unmemorable next time I consider watching it? Maybe. Plays out kind of like a cliche sports movie, except the good team is Mechagodzilla and the bad team is Godzilla, and the Prime Minister is the good team's coach. In short, it felt bland and hollow once the "constructing Mechagodzilla" build-up was finished. It's unusual for the first monster might to be where the movie's entertainment value plummets.

And then its immediate sequel Godzilla: Tokyo SOS: Sometimes it takes a meh movie to set the groundwork for a really good one, and that's what happened here. This one's engaging as hell from start to finish. I'm not sure if they retconned the retcon of the original Mothra from the previous movie or if pacifying Mothra in 1960 was just covered up since it didn't take place in Tokyo then ... doesn't really matter. The main character is part of the Mechagodzilla ground crew, which is a breath of fresh air from the last few movies' military protagonists. Sci-fi clashes with mysticism, and it really works. The climax is engaging, even emotional. I love when a Godzilla movie has an honest touching moment (not a pandering one) and this had a couple.

Both movies have some issues with hokey fight shots, but I just don't like Tezuka's direction that much. I do appreciate that he came up with Tokyo SOS's story; he did good there. At the very least, both movies are a step up from vs Megaguirus.

Objectively Tokyo SOS is probably the best of the Millennium series. I need to watch those two again, it's been a few years and I remember really liking the fight scenes.

Its a little confusing being a sequel to the original Mothra...but no to the original Godzilla flicks which it crossed over with. The multiverse is a fickle fickle place. I wish we could get another solo Mothra movie again, I remember the one where Mothra Leo went AQUA MOTHRA pretty fondly. Need to see the third one some time.