[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

That's what I've been reading about the movie. In a flick that should be about robots beating the shit out of each other, it managed to be boring as hell.

You know you fail as a movie, when fucking GRIMLOCK can't make it unboring. He is a giant robot T-rex, that is three awesome things in one.

Alter Egos: Movie about a world where all the supervillains were brought to jail ten years ago, and thusly superheroes have lost their funding. It follows particularly on Fridge an ice guy who is torn up because his girlfriend is cheating on him...with his superhero identity. The film was good, but I felt it was a bit rushed and it could've used a bit more meat storywise. ALSO-
I felt the Captain Amazingness wanting Fridge dead for sleeping with his wife would've been funnier if we saw him say it was actually for that reason.

ODD THOMAS
Never read the books, but the movie looked like fun so I figured what the hell (Hailey wasn't going to sleep anyway so I needed something to do while I stayed up with her). Overall I say I enjoyed it. I was surprised to see it was Stephen Sommers film. Usually he deals in bigger films and louder films, and this seemed more indie equivalent. I'm a bit of a Sommers fan. I know his movies aren't masterpieces, but they are definitely popcorn action flicks in my opinion. Deep Rising is one of his earlier works and one of my particularly favorite films. Even GIJOE: Rise of Cobra was good times.
There were definitely elements of a Sommers film in Odd Thomas. Those "Oh Shit" moments where the camera pulls back to show some just how dire the situation is for the heroes. Anton Yelchin is perfectly cast as Odd, and William Defoe is always a pleasure to see in any role.
I wish you had read the books. I want to see the movie but the Odd Thomas books, I tihnk, are some of the few books of value Dean Koontz has written. His books are always 'fun' or 'nteresting' in some way but Odd Thomas was a character I loved. He was likable and witty and just...good in his heart.

I fear watching the movie because I don't want the ruined.

Watched Gravity.... nice effects... terrible writing.

Who sends a depressed astronaut in space? I literally watched an incompetent astronaut for 90 minutes.

Some of that stuff is scary as shit though.

I spent the entire time screaming at how bad she was .

Ok, ok, I might have been wrong about Transformers. A buddy of mine came over to enjoy some mockery of the film and we skimmed through the rest of the movie. When Lockdown kills that dude and it's the silliest string of explosions ever and it just SUPER poorly transitions from him running to silly burnt skeleton it may have been the actively funniest thing I've ever seen.

Also, did the cam I have have missed bits or did the really, really boring car chase scene (people say Michael Bay is good at action, but his car chase stuff is always fucking terrible) go from being in the middle of a corn field, to going over a bridge to being in the middle of a city in like 3 seconds?

Damn, my Google-fu has failed and I can't find a gif of that dude dying. I would paypal someone a dollar for that gif.

Last edited:
Snowpiercer - very good, although very dark. The copy we had didn't have subtitles during the Korean parts, but honestly, the visuals and story were story enough that you could (mostly) figure out what was going on without them. Great cast, great visuals.

On Thursday I watched the Rifftrax Live rebroadcast of Sharknado. Wow, it was incredible. The movie is laughable on it's own, but with the crew adding commentary it was a fun experience.

Snowpiercer - very good, although very dark. The copy we had didn't have subtitles during the Korean parts, but honestly, the visuals and story were story enough that you could (mostly) figure out what was going on without them. Great cast, great visuals.
For the most part there weren't any subtitles, either you had to listen closely to the translator bot, or you just had to guess what they meant. At least, that's how it was on the DVR version I rented.

Oh yeah. It's definitely a good sign when, at the end of both RISE and DAWN, that you're already wanting a sequel.
That got me big-time with Rise. The movie ended and my response was "Dammit, wait! I wanna see what happens next!" Dawn, less impatience, but I'm eager to see what else they'll do, and have my fingers crossed that they'll finish Caesar's story well. There have been too many disappointing trilogy conclusions in the last few years (looking at you, Dark Knight).

I just started the new Carrie on my second monitor while I work and already 2 things strike me:

1) Severe lack of bush in the opening few minutes
&
2) I don't know if I will be able to finish this. The original is such an amazing film and I can't figure out how this will do anything interesting enough to warrant watching it all the way through.

BONUS THIRD THING: I like how they don't even bother to try and make Chloe Moritz-Grace "movie ugly". I mean come on guys, put her in some overalls and pigtails and throw a pair of glasses on her. This isn't that hard.[DOUBLEPOST=1406043501,1406043424][/DOUBLEPOST]BONUS FOURTH THING: No John Travolta may be also be deal breaker. They could have brought him back to play a highschooler. He has the range.

BONUS FOURTH THING: No John Travolta may be also be deal breaker. They could have brought him back to play a highschooler. He has the range.
They should have brought him back to play Carrie's mother. I would play good money to see him shame her "durty pillows" <---Baltimore accent.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can't do it. I shut it off. I just can't get interested in it even I love Julian Moore.
It definitely didn't measure up to the amazing first one, but I love love loved Julianne Moore as the crazy mom. She was really frightening. I think the most disappointing part was the prom scene. Again, comparing to the first one, it just wasn't nearly as terrifying to watch imo.

That might be the key to enjoying this movie...don't see the first one.

--Patrick
I haven't seen the original. I did the see The Rage: Carrie 2, and the crappy TV movie that was supposed to pilot a Carrie TV series though, so I don't know if that disqualifies me from the Pigsblood challenge.

Seeing people talk about Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is often nice because it's an intelligent movie that's doing well, people are enjoying it, etc, they're often appreciating the movie that it is.

But then there's the Transformers intended audience who I see going "That was so awesome when the ape dual-wielded machine guns on horseback! That was the best part."

... way to miss the fucking point.

I haven't seen it yet, but that does sound pretty fucking awesome.

Well... this is awkward.
There's a difference between "this happened" and "this is what I've been waiting for, I was waiting for them to finally start killing each other".

I don't want to get into why I said what I said since you haven't seen it, but it is not part of a "fun" action scene.

There's a difference between "this happened" and "this is what I've been waiting for, I was waiting for them to finally start killing each other".

I don't want to get into why I said what I said since you haven't seen it, but it is not part of a "fun" action scene.
Honestly, yeah, the context is not a "fun" action scene, it's just one of those things I wasn't expecting to see.

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear
Cheese. Pure unadulterated cheese. But it's the kind of cheese that you find between two slices of hot buttered bread, fried until golden brown*. It makes a point of seriously not taking itself seriously, which is no surprise given how many of the people who did Herc/Xena/Seeker were involved. I saw this originally back when it was still just a TV movie, never realized it was released on DVD until I spotted it in my parents' collection, along with two sequels I hadn't realized were ever made. I've borrowed all three, looking to complete watching them by next week.

Rise of the Guardians
Waaay better than the trailer makes it look. It's an animated children's movie, and it plays like a children's movie, but it is crafted to appeal to adults and even somewhat to teens. I mean, this movie blatantly shows the actual, honest-to-goodness death of a principal character, but it does so in a way that neither dwells on that death, nor makes excuses for it. It takes serious stabs at ambiguity, choices, and morality, and does so without too much grade-school level spoon-feeding. On top of that, the animation and performances are top-notch. The people who made this movie cared about it enough to even get the music right**. I really appreciate it when that much thought goes into a movie.

--Patrick
*Best line: "I'm so far out of your league that, if your league were to explode, it would take three days for me to hear it."
**That tune you hear playing in the 18th century town? It's a tune that was actually popular in the 18th century. Dinosaurs show up? Music takes a moment to quote part of the Jurassic Park theme. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Terminator and Terminator 2

I watched these with my son. As Peter Griffin said, "Son come watch this movie that I loved but that won't hold up". He was pretty unimpressed with the first. I seriously don't recall the Xacto scene being such an obvious fake head. Maybe remastering isn't always a good thing. The second fared much better. He couldn't watch the T1000's killings, and the nuke bothered him. Probably a good thing that they made him squeamish. They are fairly gruesome.

Hercules

Meh. It has its enjoyable moments with some good action, with the biggest strength of this film being Dwayne Johnson. He captures not only the physical prowess needed for playing a character like Hercules, but he also conveys the anger and anguish that haunt this particular take on Hercules along with the bravery and warmth. Some of the other characters are also enjoyable, such as Ian McShane. But on the whole, when it's not on the action, it gets a bit dull.

This is a real shame, because it's honestly not a terrible idea they have here for a Hercules film. Here, they present him as a mercenary who has ran with the legends of his incredible strength and his labors, playing up the image of being the son of Zeus. It's an idea that can be interesting, but not only is the film a bit dull at times, it's not the film I was sold. I'll be honest, when I saw the trailers, I was hoping for a full-on Greek mythology adventure with Hercules, like an old-school Ray Harryhausen adventure. While this film wasn't terrible, it wasn't what I was sold and what I was hoping for.

Lucy

What a piece of shit. I hate this movie. I hate it not just because the premise relies upon the false idea of "humans only use 10% of their brains", but it is also pretentious in its methods and its preaching of its thoughts on mankind's nature and capabilities. What is even worse is that it says that mankind should push forward and learn about our existence to advance itself beyond just ignorance, which is a message I can get behind. However, that message is, to me, ruined by the film's pretentious philosophical ramblings and the fact that its very premise and foundation is rooted in false science. Now, I may have been able to tolerate just pretentiousness or just the bad science, but I cannot stand them both together. No amount of good soundtrack, stylist actions sequences, or Scarlett Johansson can improve the terrible editing, writing, or directing. The result is a film that thinks it's very smart and acts all superior about it, but is actually really stupid and doesn't seem to notice. I hate this film.

Last edited: