[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

When I was in college, one of the altos in the choir was just under 6'6" (she really stands out in the choir photos). She was dating a guy who was taller than her, and I remember thinking it felt almost contrived, since it required a certain amount of actual work to find a guy taller than her.
I remember asking her once if she ever felt pushed (socially) to wear heels. She replied that she did not have any, and that there was a certain...awkwardness at play. For not wearing heels, she would get "marked down" in style points for wearing "the wrong shoes" with an outfit, but if she were to wear heels, she'd be like, 6'10" or so, which would just be trading one flavor of uncomfortable for another. I also remember that she went as Rapunzel for Hallowe'en one year, but the longest Lady Godiva blonde wig the theatre dept had still wouldn't even reach her waist.

--Patrick

The taller you are, the faster you'll go down.

I'm ...not even sure I want to know what that means.

But @PatrThom , I know how your friend feels. I own almost all flats or very small heels, partially out of deference to my husband (who says I should wear the heels anyway because he loves how I look in them), and partially because I know what horrible things heels do to your feet and legs. Doesn't stop me from wearing my favorite pair of wedges that make me 6'!...just not when I'm with Mr. Z.

Still, shouldn've had those guys fill out a questionnaire at the end of our dates. *sigh*File that under "Missed Opportunities While Single"! :D

EDIT: the @ sign ate the rest of my #$&%*! post again!

Maybe it has to do with what becomes eye level?
If you aren't [over 5'7"], then it may be due to your statistics.
I do wonder sometimes if it isn't a leftover behavioral thing, but who knows? I've seen a lot of social pressure lately (one of the big shoe shop ad posters at the mall says, "Tonight...I will be taller than my husband," and then there's stuff like this), but it would take a couple decades before we see whether height ends up being a trait which becomes dominant (like some other traits which seem to be making the news).

--Patrick

I never, ever understood the point of a boxing glove arrow. How does that even work.
It punches you out, obviously, but that's not the point. The point is that a boxing glove arrow is so utterly stupid and absurd and nonsensical that anyone knocked out by it will wake up feeling completely humiliated. It's basically the Green Arrow equivalent of pissing on his opponent.

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't somebody already post the picture of the comic where he explains that sometimes he wants to punch someone very far away?

Watched Lovelace with my wife. Through out the movie, as we watched Chuck's abuse of Linda, I would turn to my wife and say, "You know, it's a good thing I don't do stuff like that." Eventually she got annoyed and said, "Seriously? That's the standard you're setting for yourself?"

Finally watched Desolation of Smaug. Yeah okay, liberties were taken, etc etc but I don't care because I AM FIRE I AM DEATH

I loved every second of it, especially the Bilbo/Smaug stuff and the ensuing escape/fight through the mountain.

Dave

Staff member
Just got back from an advanced screening of "A Million Ways to Die in the West".

tl;dr: It was hilarious and I laughed my ass off.

Now for the spoiler free review.

It starts out amazingly like an old West movie. Towering vistas and desert with credits and the western music. It just felt like a real old-timey western. And then it starts. That's where the similarities ended.

The story was pretty predictable. There was nothing new anywhere in this movie, but then again as a comedy I wasn't looking for the twist or shocking ending. Instead, I look at the question did it make me laugh? Holy shit did it ever! Seth plays a sheep farmer who is a bit of a coward. His life is a shambles and his girlfriend doesn't much care for this. I won't go any further since it would be getting into spoiler territory, so let me just go down the list of cast members.

Seth MacFarlane is the perfect guy to play this part. He's sharp, his jokes just work and he brings a kind of "WTF" to the whole wild west motif.

Charlize Theron is also well cast as the new love interest who helps Seth find his backbone. Her character isn't very deep, but she somehow brings a lot of depth to her anyway, despite the writing that seems to make her more a window dressing than anything.

Amanda Seyfried is the girlfriend and she is mostly wasted in this movie. I mean, she's a great actress, but she has nothing much to do but be the foil. But then again it ain't her movie.

Liam Neesen just chews up the fucking screen whenever he's on it. You kind of expect this, but he's a badass and it really shines through. GREAT bad guy!

Neil Patrick Motherfucking Harris. Need I say more? Dude has a fairly minor part but every time he's onscreen it just works. He steals almost every scene he's in. Maybe I'm biased, though. Love that guy.

Giovanni Ribisi has a fairly large but unremarkable part, but he plays it with relish and a comedic timing that is awesome.

Sarah Silverman is Ribisi's prostitute girlfriend that...well, see the movie.

The jokes are centered around the west and how bad it is. Sometimes they are said like they are there and sometimes the references are obviously coming from a more 21st century perspective. But it works. And it works well. In most comedies, the funny parts are in the trailers and commercials and sometimes that's about it. In this movie, the scenes from the trailers go on longer and have more to them (with a few exceptions) and look funnier on the big screen.

Couple highlights (non-spoilered):
  • Credits. Seriously, listen to the music during the credits and watch. There is something post-credits, but it's very fast.
  • When [redacted] is in the [redacted]! Man, I couldn't believe he was there!
  • NPH trying to take a guy's hat. Once is funny. Twice is hysterical. Five times? Awesome!
  • Cameos!
If you like Family Guy you'll love this movie. If you liked Ted you'll LOVE this movie. If you didn't like Ted, you'll love this movie. I guess I'm saying this movie is better than Ted. And by better I mean by an order of magnitude.

In synopsis: Laughed long. Laughed loud. My wife stayed awake during the whole thing. (You have no idea how huge that is.) I may go see it again and I WILL be buying the DVD just to catch all the things I missed because they went by too fast.

Solid 8/10.

I get the feeling I'd be more interested in the movie if someone other than McFarlane was the star.

Also, I'm dubious about Ribisi being good considering the last few things he's done that I've seen... Dads, Ted, Gangster... he's been horrible.

Dave

Staff member
I get the feeling I'd be more interested in the movie if someone other than McFarlane was the star.

Also, I'm dubious about Ribisi being good considering the last few things he's done that I've seen... Dads, Ted, Gangster... he's been horrible.
He was very low-key in this. His character was basically a one-note joke, but he played it very well.

Watched Terminator tuesday. Still a good movie, still holds up well, especially considering the budget. Very 80s though, from the look, the music, and the pessimistic future.

The new Godzilla. It was stupid but fun. I just wish there would've been more Godzilla. Every time he did his scream, it was awesome.

Godzilla vs Monster Zero: I remember not liking this much as a kid and fast-forwarding to get to the monster bits, which are brief compared to other Godzilla movies of the time. It's got a lot of funny parts though.

Also, Godzilla acts like a total wuss in this movie. Seriously, he keeps dancing away from Ghidorah, or hiding behind rocks. The alien stuff is hilarious. Some of the fights and angles are good; I know the director was trying to make Ghidorah look imposing with some straight-on shots of him coming up over one of the other monsters.

Eh, it's still a slog though. If you've already seen the movie, it's better to skip the first ten minutes it takes the astronauts to reach Planet X.

Also, I love how within a series of still shots, Earth goes from normal to post-apocalypse alien invasion due to riots and civil war between those who want to resist the aliens and those who want to kowtow to them. It's like 90 seconds. Good job, Earth. Way to keep it together.

THE INQUISTION! What show- THE INQUISITION- whadda you know- YOU KNOW YOUR WISHIN' THAT WE'D GO AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, but the inquistion's here BABABABABA- and its here to staaaaaaaaay!