[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Finally got to see District 9, with my four week Blockbuster direct trial. My sister had seen it in theaters and was expecting a movie with aliens to be more... I dunno, fun? But I loved it. It was a brilliant film, I thought. If there is one, I can't wait for the sequel.

The only thing I disliked about it was... the disc. As is way too typical with rentals, there was a part that apparently had been corrupted by disc scratches/damage, about three minutes... It was when

Wikus and Christopher had just stopped the stolen vehicle and are making their way to the dropship hidden under Christopher's shack. I think it was around 1 hour, 15 minutes into the movie, around there. It started up again when Wikus and Christopher's son were inside the ship, starting it up -- it was just rising out of the ground -- and Christopher had somehow ended up outside. Does anyone remember how this went down?

Also I found this analysis of the alien language. Pretty interesting.

Next comes The Godfather and 2001: A Space Odyssey. All of the movies on my queue are classics that I haven't got to see yet (like Ghostbusters and Rambo: First Blood), with a few exceptions being Changeling, District 9, and Ocean's Eleven.

EDIT: What's up with this indent after the spoiler tags? A little glitch?
Wikus and Christopher get to his house. Christopher tells Wikus it's going to take 3 years to fix him because he's going to go home and get help first. Wikus gets upset and knocks Christopher out. Wikus goes into the command pod, locks out Christopher and starts it up.

Cajungal

Staff member
"It's Complicated" was cute, and I liked the way it ended. The dialogue was obnoxious after a while, though. It felt like they were repeating the same things over... and over... and OVER. A lot of really entertaining moments, though. I'm glad I went.

Y

YAOMTC

Wikus and Christopher get to his house. Christopher tells Wikus it's going to take 3 years to fix him because he's going to go home and get help first. Wikus gets upset and knocks Christopher out. Wikus goes into the command pod, locks out Christopher and starts it up.
Oh... wow. I missed a major plot point 'cause Blockbuster doesn't know how to check their friggin' discs and resurface them if needed... Well, fortunately they provided a link on the queue to report damaged discs (among other problems) so hopefully that one will be taken care of now.

Thanks for filling me in! :)

A

Alucard

Daybreakers. Decent vampire film. Cheesy but good old fashioned blood suckers

Hurt Locker.

I really enjoyed the first 1/3 of the movie, then it dragged a bit the second third, and kind of felt like it was getting lost the last third. The ending really hit me. I thought it was totally bad ass after the end scene.

I didn't care for:
the sniper scene in the desert. If someone is shooting at you, you don't lay in the same position just waiting for them to pick you off. The other guys couldn't do anything? Kind of an odd scene. I also thought the dude going after Becham's killer was really odd.

P

Philosopher B.

The Shining

I'm probably committing some sort of terrible movie blasphemy by saying this, but I found this film to be highly overrated. The cinematography and sense of place was absolutely amazing; the hotel was like a character in its own right. Unfortunately, I did not feel so enthusiastic about the human characters. Thanks to the casting of Nicholson, Jack appeared mad off his tits from the very start. Watching his 'decent into madness' was more a case of sitting back and waiting for the longtime-in-coming yet inevitable rampage scene. I didn't get a great sense of why I should care for this family, nor that there had been any kind of bond that would be interesting to see break later on. Duvall was just whiny and annoying (not to mention she looked like an alien fish-person and went around dressed in the worst clothes the decade had to offer). I had to laugh during the stairs scene, while Nicholson hammed it up with his tongue-flicking and Duvall blubbered and flailed the baseball bat about drunkenly while clutching it around the middle.

They were as nothing, however, compared to the child actor. From his idiotic finger-act to his hilariously over-done reaction shots to his grating croak of 'Red rum', I wanted to slap him from in front of the camera every time he entered the shot. I know that good child actors are hard to find, but that doesn't make them grate on my nerves any less when I see one.

The soundtrack was both the best thing and the worst thing about the movie; while the creepiest thing about the film aside from the cinematography's feeling of isolation (the nude hag and gratuitous blowjob-furry were just gross), it went way overboard trying to sell many of the film's moments. For instance, at one point Jack tells Wendy to check the radio and the snowcat out. We already know what she's going to see, and then she goes in and sees, and rather than just employing a subtle musical cue or allowing us to feel some terrified silence, the soundtrack leaps up as if to say 'Wee! I'm still here! Don't forget me!'

My favorite actor in the movie was definitely Crothers, though his character ultimately didn't seem to play that important a part post telling the kid about the Shining stuff. The ending rampage was definitely the best part, but aside from already having seen most of the best moments, there were parts about it that purplexed me. Such as why Danny went back inside, and how the hell Jack got on the loose again. I also felt oddly gipped about the ending. While it's a personal choice, I almost felt it would have been more powerful had everyone died, thereby upping the horror of how completely the hotel's history repeated itself. That could've just been me being sick of Duvall and that kid, though.

I feel a little bad for bagging on this movie because I felt it had potential, and I was able to unironically admire some of the craftsmanship that didn't involve acting while ironically enjoying some of it that did. Ultimately, however, I think the beginning of the script could have used some wok, some of the middle could have been paced better, and some alternate casting choices would have been nice. I have a feeling that I should seek out the book in order that I might witness the narrative unfold properly.

A

Alex B.

Saw Book of Eli and thought it was great. There were a few things I would have changed, but overall I really liked it.

Also had to go see Spy Next Door, which I don't think I'd even heard of before my nephew said he wanted to see it. It was...meh. Too much Next Door and not enough Spy, and they really wasted Jackie Chan. When we were leaving I informed my nephew that I'd rent some real Jackie Chan movies some time so he could see how awesome they can be.

I just saw World's Greatest Dad. Wow. This is a dark, dark comedy. Robin Williams is fantastic as a failed writer/ teacher.

Plot- Failed writer/ teacher has a teenage son who is a dick. His life is pretty miserable, but things look up when he finds his son dead.

There, I didn't give anything away Netflix didn't already tell me before watching it. It really is interesting to see a character go through the steps of fame only to discover that being with people he is comfortable with is better than being with the in crowd.

A

Alex B.

Finally saw (500) Days of Summer and thought it was pretty great. It was a little painful, actually, as it mirrored some events from my own life way too closely.

P

Philosopher B.

Gimmie Shelter

Fan-fucking-tastic. All the little moments they captured and edited together ... awesome work. Loved the bit near the end when the Stones are on stage playing, and a dog walks by. Shit was whacked-out in the 60's. Only thing I would've done different, is maybe shoot some more of the other people in the band on stage, especially during the solos. You got a better sense of Jagger the frontman than you did of the Stones as a whole. But that's a minor nitpick.

Also, lol @ George Lucas in the credits. Apparently his footage wasn't even used.

Legion: as I said in the 2010 thread, AVOID. hideously boring. I was checking the time frequently, and I never do that.

Book of Eli: Actually, really good. Very competent action sequences, the whole thing was gorgeous and incredibly well-shot.

Gary Whitta, the guy who wrote Book of Eli, served as EIC for PC Gamer UK and then as the founder and EIC for PC Gamer US for God knows how many years. If anyone can guess his favorite game series, you win a cookie. The man wears his influences on his sleeve.

I enjoyed Book of Eli. WHATATWEEST moment was pretty predictable, but whatever. It was competent, pretty, and had great music. Gary Oldman was, as always, a treat. I dunno, it wasn't a fantastic movie, but I don't regret seeing it at all.

Legion: It's a complete rip off of the Demon Knight formula but that's not the major reason I walked away disappointed. I think that the idea of an army of angels turning on mankind is fantastic, but the movie doesn't succeed at pulling it off. My biggest issue is the ending, which is quite literally a Deus Ex Machina ending.
Michael comes back from the dead to save Baby Jesus 2 because God changes his mind about the whole apocalypse thing. The appearance of Michael's tattoos on Jeep is never explained or utilized in anyway. Jeep, Charlie and Baby Jesus 2 are driving down a highway with a van full of guns even though supposedly God called off the whole "kill all humans" ordeal. I mean WHAT?

Finally sat down and watched Naked Gun and Ghostbusters this weekend. (yeah I know I should have watched them ages ago)

A

Alex B.

I don't expect to ever see Legion, but it bothers me that they're clearly using the same monster effects for the angels (the greyish skin and distended faces, etc) that were used in I Am Legend. They weren't scary there, why would they use them again? Just terrible.

Watched Downfall and thought it was excellent. And by weird coincidence, we have Wings of Desire next on our queue, which stars the same guy that plays Hitler in Downfall.

Due to the Disney Song thread, I rewatched Mulan. That movie is still good. :) And it's (not surprisingly) my girlfriend's favourite Disney movie.

Mulan is easily my favorite animated Disney film as well. I could do without the Eddie Murphy dragon but otherwise top notch.

A fucking travesty the sequel was (as all Disney animated films tend to do)

Moon. Completely awesome. More like reading a sci-fi story than most sci-fi movies that rely on special effects and whatnot.

Mulan is easily my favorite animated Disney film as well. I could do without the Eddie Murphy dragon but otherwise top notch.
The movie could've done without him too. Mulan barely interacts with him, and the very few aspects of the movie he's supposed to assist with, such as observation of males, Mulan could've figured out on her own.

S

Soliloquy

I watched the original Star Wars again last night. It's been years since I've actually watched it, and even longer since I paid attention instead of sitting around with friends and joking around about the economic viability of moisture farming (and the potential for a moisture black market).

I had forgotten just how good of a movie it actually is. It made me wonder at what point Lucas thought it was a good idea to drain all of the humanity out of the acting in the prequels.

I watched the original Star Wars again last night. It's been years since I've actually watched it, and even longer since I paid attention instead of sitting around with friends and joking around about the economic viability of moisture farming (and the potential for a moisture black market).

I had forgotten just how good of a movie it actually is. It made me wonder at what point Lucas thought it was a good idea to drain all of the humanity out of the acting in the prequels.
It's because Lucas is a great "idea man""/producer, but sucks at being a director. Even in Star Wars you get a lot of the stilted dialogue that is found in the prequels. It wasn't until two other directors got involved with Empire and Jedi that the characters really took on life of their own because they weren't tied down with Lucas' inability to write believable conversations.

S

Soliloquy

It's because Lucas is a great "idea man""/producer, but sucks at being a director. Even in Star Wars you get a lot of the stilted dialogue that is found in the prequels. It wasn't until two other directors got involved with Empire and Jedi that the characters really took on life of their own because they weren't tied down with Lucas' inability to write believable conversations.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's true to an extent (I just watched Empire Strikes Back, and it's much better than A New Hope), but for all their stilted dialogue, there's a ton more humanity and believability in Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in the original film than there is in the entire Prequel Trilogy.

Favorite Scene:

Luke: So, what do you think of her, Han?
Han Solo: I'm trying not to, kid.
Luke: Good.
[beat]
Han Solo: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, what do you think? You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke: No.
[awkward silence]

A

Alex B.

Attempted to watch Wings of Desire last night. It's pretty, but after waiting an hour for something to happen we turned it off. Sorry Wim Wenders, I got the point of the character forty minutes ago. Now have him do something.

Finally got around to seeing Finding Neverland and Donnie Darko.

Neverland was quite good. Then I read a little on the backstory, and I wonder why they bothered to change from the historical truth. Like he knew the family before the tragedies started to pile up.

Donnie Darko, I nearly turned off the movie, but gave it a few more minutes. I was well rewarded. Only minor complaints about the sound mixing. It turned out to be a good film.