[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Ruby Sparks

I really, really liked this movie. Though it got really dark at points, I think to fully explore the concept, it needed to explore that dark area. It might have had that whole Manic Pixie Girl thing going for it, but I think that was partly intentional.

But yeah, overall? Really interesting characters and an idea that left me unsure of where it was going. There were half a dozen teases for possible endings.

Highlander - I used to love this movie and even the franchise as a whole despite it's issues, yet for some reason after this watching I couldn't help but nitpick so many things about it. I realize now that the only reason the movie makes any kind of sense is because of all the background information I've learned over the years but as a stand alone the movie has way too many unexplained issues that I just couldn't get around. I don't know what made me look at this movie a bit deeper (lol movie about immortals doesn't make sense lol) and I wasn't overthinking it but the problems lie in the universe they set up itself. It's contridictory. I'm not going to complain about things not being realistic, obviously not because the movie is a fantasy but when you establish some rules then break them then reuse them again it tends to bug me.

Highlander 2: Renegade Edition - Better than the Quickening version but that's saying nothing. This movie makes less sense and is even worse at contracting itself than the previous one (Why'd Ramirez have to die after using his super power that opened the doors and stopped the fan but when Connor does it to destroy the shield he's cool as a cucumber? etc) I couldn't get past the movie's own mis-steps. Again it wasn't a matter of realism but a matter of destroying your own content you created in the first place.

Highlander 3 - Surprisingly I found less to complain about this one than the previous two. Did it make it a good movie? Gods no, but there's alot less -in your face contradiction- in this one than previous entrees. By this time around the line -And I can never die- leading to him having sex is just downright epic though.

Overall I'm kind of depressed that I've looked back again on the Highlander mythos because I remember being cool with alot of it for so long, but now they're s just a really bad action movies with some of the worst plot cohesion since, well itself.

Beverly Hills Cop - This one stood the test of time. Murphy at his height and it still shows. A staple of the action cop who doesn't follow the rules genre of 80s films and for good reason. If you remember liking it in the past, you may just enjoy it more this time around.

It's a Wonderful Life - Still the greatest Christmas movie of all time, and one of my all time favorite movies. Frank Capra puts a lot of little details into the backgrounds of the movie that make it very enjoyable on repeat viewings.

Continuing with my 80/90s kick:

Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Such rare moments where a sequel is better than the original, this one just does everything the first one did great but better. Characters a bit more extreme but not overbearing. Eddie Murphy hits his stride and Judge Reinhold really becomes a solid character. Lots of cliches (many of them started by this movie) from the action cop/buddy cop genre but still tons of fun to watch and holds up well again if you're in an 80s vibe kind of mood. That theme song never gets old!

Beverly Hills Cop 3 - And then the theme song got old. After reading the wiki and seeing what kind of production hell this went through and the downfall of Murphy's fame during this time it's very easy to see why this movie fails so hard. Seriously, read the wiki on this it's pretty enlightening as to how it went so wrong. Re-watching it again after all these years made the glaring issues even worse and I was pretty down after watching this one.

Finally got around to watching this semi-new flick:

Ted - Like Seth McFarlane? That'll be the deciding factor in whether you're going to like this or not. It does show he has a range outside of -flashback family animated comedy- and it's raunchy as hell. Was pretty creeped out the entire time by Wahlberg and Kunis making out all the time (he's twice her age and it shows) but man all the scenes with Ted are gold. It gets cliche -omg dramatic sad moment- at the end but damn did the Flash Gordon scenes make up for that. All in all I laughed, way more than I should have but did not like the Wahlberg/Kunis relationship also really hard not to constantly be thinking of Peter Griffin as that's the voice Seth uses for Ted, though they do poke fun of that during the film.

The Hawaiians - 1970 adaptation of James A. Michener's book "Hawaii" starring Charlton Heston. It's a very good movie, and it saddens me that it's on Hulu and not Netflix, because it was not meant to have commercial breaks. I don't know how much historical accuracy it has, though I know Michener at least tries to get a fair bit of accuracy in his books. But it's a fantastic story either way.

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Yep, it's still stupid. And yep, still hilarious. And, yep, still better than Pet Detective.

I think one of my favorite things about this movie is the amount of quotable one-liners. So many!

Rock of Ages

A musical set in the 80's using songs I love, so you'd think I'd love it. But the singing was only amusing in a karaoke sort of way, some of the performances didn't make sense, and the actual plot was snoringly bad.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I don't think he's complained enough about schlepping kreplach to his meshugah schmuck of a cousin living on a kibbutz in Haifa to count as Jewish...

I also saw Django.

Like most Tarantino movies, it was a lot of fun and violence and had a few scenes that made me profoundly uncomfortable!

Premium Rush

Regrettably, I missed this in theatres. But I really liked this. The story was fun and the car vs. bike chase scenes were stuff I don't think I've ever seen in a movie before. Mileage may vary with others, though. I'm an urban cyclist and also worked as a bike courier while living in Toronto, so I could relate with much of this.

Technically not a movie but I saw "Mighty Boosh Live at Brixton" on Youtube. Frickin' hilarious, tons of in-jokes from the show, classic songs, a genuine awesome show.

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle. I read the book about a week ago. I don't like the movie. It's beautifully done, as with all of Miyazaki's movies, but the story is very different from the book. That was disappointing.

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle. I read the book about a week ago. I don't like the movie. It's beautifully done, as with all of Miyazaki's movies, but the story is very different from the book. That was disappointing.
You should see The Secret World of Arrietty (which is based on The Borrowers). It's the same problem: they removed half the cast, put the story in Japan, and changed everything else.

I'm still baffled by not liking something from the same source material in a different medium.

The day I learned to judge each bit of material on it's own (The way the creator of Hellboy does for his creation) it's been a much less disappointing life.

The reason I didn't like it is not so much that it was different from the book. The Hobbit, for example, was a great film. And while I didn't think the addition of the White Council was that great it didn't bug me to the point where I felt I was watching something entirely different from the book. With Howl's Moving Castle, I didn't like the way the story and characters were rewritten. It was not the same story and I didn't like how it was told despite the artwork being gorgeous.