[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I loved Wreck-It Ralph, probably my third favorite movie of the year.

About Ralph's journey to become a hero by traversing the gaming worlds and growing as a person. Instead it was about how he grew a heart, which is odd because it seemed he was already a pretty sensitive guy.
Yoshi already kind of mentioned it, but...

The movie was not about him growing to be a "hero", or even growing a heart. He obviously already had a bit of hero in him and a whole lot of heart (like when he gave the fruit to Qbert). The story basically broke down to exactly what was said at the meeting in the beginning.

"I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

It's about accepting who he was, the "bad" guy that made the video game work. Even Zangief touched on it, when he pointed out "If I don't, then who would crush heroes head between his thigh?" Ralph grew to accept the fact he was an integral part of his game, the bad guy that the "hero" has to defeat.

As he saw when he returned, him leaving almost meant destruction for his game world. Without him, the game can't work. He came to accept that about him, and in turn, the other members of his game came to respect his role and his own desires. I thought it was a perfect way to end the story, rather then just having him become the "hero" in the video game sense of the word (he obviously was the hero in the real sense of the word, he did save pretty much the whole arcade.)

Life of Pi was fantastic, visually beautiful and a welcome, and justified, use of 3D. I cannot get over how engrossing so many of the scenes were, and how dazzling everything was. But in addition to it's beauty, there is so much substance there, so many thought provoking moments, even for someone like me who isn't particularly religious or spiritual.

Life of Pi was fantastic, visually beautiful and a welcome, and justified, use of 3D. I cannot get over how engrossing so many of the scenes were, and how dazzling everything was. But in addition to it's beauty, there is so much substance there, so many thought provoking moments, even for someone like me who isn't particularly religious or spiritual.
This. Saw it with Jun a couple days ago. Totally enthralled by the movie. I don't even think I touched my soda. After it was over, we looked at the time and couldn't believe two hours had already passed. I read the book a couple years ago and I was amazed how well it had been translated to film. Definitely recommended.

Have you read the book? Did they keep a lot of the religious context in place? I'm really excited to see the movie but kind of apprehensive, I WANT that religious stuff.

Have you read the book? Did they keep a lot of the religious context in place? I'm really excited to see the movie but kind of apprehensive, I WANT that religious stuff.
I hadn't read it before seeing it, unfortunately. They delve pretty heavily into Pi's religious views, and how he came to find each of those he follows.

Chronicle

This was only my second time watching this since seeing it theatres. And honestly, I forgot how damn good this movie is. I'd forgotten how much focus there was on the building relationship among the three guys in the story and how it turns horrible wrong.

Chronicle

This was only my second time watching this since seeing it theatres. And honestly, I forgot how damn good this movie is. I'd forgotten how much focus there was on the building relationship among the three guys in the story and how it turns horrible wrong.
I really liked this movie. It was a cliche, but done really well, and the interaction between the main characters was great.

Brave: I thought it was okay. The characters were well-written, I liked this different approach to a certain type of princess dilemma, and the animation was gorgeous, particularly the motion. Objects and characters flowed smoothly and fluidly through the landscape or indoor environments, which made the action a lot more frantic and wild than I've seen in other CGI animated films. It was very refreshing to see. There was also some good humor in every family member but the mom.

But the plot and direction were all over the place. When they get to the river midway through the film, the music and montage nature make it seem like a big transition scene, but nothing's really happened between "Calamity strikes!" and that point. Then we get an admittedly interesting subplot/backstory popping up, and then back to the castle... You can tell that they switched directors midway through. The story feels like it needed another work through to smooth it out. Events connect to each other logically, but not in atmosphere or emotion.

That said, I'm sure I'll be wishing for a Pixar movie that was only this good when the Monsters Inc prequel comes out next year. Ugh.

The original Monsters Inc. was great and the Toy Story sequels were excellent. I have full faith that Monsters High will at least be watchable.

I'm probably alone, but I didn't hate Cars 2. Was it Pixar-level great? No. But like Brave, it also wasn't even remotely as bad as even some decent non-Pixar movies out there. As I've always said, even a bad Pixar film is still good in comparison.

I'm probably alone, but I didn't hate Cars 2. Was it Pixar-level great? No. But like Brave, it also wasn't even remotely as bad as even some decent non-Pixar movies out there. As I've always said, even a bad Pixar film is still good in comparison.
I enjoyed Cars 2 about as much as Cars. Neither are bad movies, just not the absolutely amazing movies that preceded them.

I don't really give a shit about cars so I don't really want to watch movies about anthropomorphized ones. And I'm not a big Owen Wilson fan.

Rewatched Zebraman, awesome ass movie. Its a good tribute to the Tokusatus genre, and full of wonderfully cheesy moments. Though I will admit the English dub could've been better, especially Asano San. Izzy's Saban voice sounds weird coming out of non-cartoons, thats just my opinion.

Rewatched Zebraman, awesome ass movie. Its a good tribute to the Tokusatus genre, and full of wonderfully cheesy moments. Though I will admit the English dub could've been better, especially Asano San. Izzy's Saban voice sounds weird coming out of non-cartoons, thats just my opinion.
There's supposed to be a sequel in the works.

Night of the Hunter: Robert Mitchum playing a serial killer thief that poses as a preacher, with LOVE/HATE knuckle tattoos. With Shelly Winters and an aging Lilian Gish. pretty good film I'd give it a B+. Michum is just chilling when he begins to manipulate people, or when an attractive woman/girl pays him too much attention and he starts fondling and opening his switch-blade....

Just saw Savages, directed by Oliver Stone. Total mess of an action-thriller, with one rather impressive story feature:

This is a completely generic action-thriller where the girl gets kidnapped and the guy has to save her. Except that in this movie, it's two guy. And the three of them live together in a convincing 100% stable polyamorous relationship.

That doesn't make it a good movie. But just for that aspect alone, I have to give some credit. Action movies tend not to push traditional social conventions at all.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hotel Transylvania

A lot better than I expected, to be honest. I was afraid Genndy Tartakovsky had sold out by making a cookie-cutter children's movie, but this was actually a damn lot of fun. The characters were memorable, a lot of mileage was gotten out of each main monster, and the obligatory love story was actually pretty sweet. I might actually get this on DVD.

Hotel Transylvania

A lot better than I expected, to be honest. I was afraid Genndy Tartakovsky had sold out by making a cookie-cutter children's movie, but this was actually a damn lot of fun. The characters were memorable, a lot of mileage was gotten out of each main monster, and the obligatory love story was actually pretty sweet. I might actually get this on DVD.
I really enjoyed this movie. :) Jet seemed to like it as well.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Legend of the Guardians

I had such high hopes for this movie. It just seemed to have this epic quality about it, making childhood imaginary figures look like badass motherfuckers. It holds up pretty well in the first half of the film, but then it just kinda peters out once the story re-focuses on Jack Frost's discovery of his center, the core belief he upholds as a Guardian of the world's children. Still, the yetis and the elves are fun, as is the Ozzie Easter Bunny voiced by Hugh Jackman and the quasi-Russian, tattooed Santa. Jack Frost... well, he's an okay character, and a nice heroic foil to the villainous Boogieman.

First, I am idiot because I was on the third page of searching for this thread before I noticed it was sticky-ed. Second, I just watched the 2010 remake of Piranha and loved the hell out of it. It managed to have the right mix of elements I like in a horror film - humor, tension, gore, and a healthy dose of self-awareness - in order to be great. Now I will promptly never watch the sequel, which is supposed to suck.

Incidentally, just about every time I have taken a movie recommendation from The Nerdist podcast - Piranha, Trick 'r Treat, Black Dynamite, Wet Hot American Summer, Mystery Team, Looper -I have not been disappointed. Just about the only time I have been is when they recommended Creepshow, which I just could not get in to.

Cabin in the Woods - very ... Whedony. Not a bad thing. Also it's the end of Buffy Season 4 done with a budget. That made me smile.