[Brazelton] Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Dave

Staff member
Obama is going to get to nominate a justice before he leaves office, removing one of the most Conservative justices for one more moderate or liberal.

Look for the Senate to drag their feet like children throwing a tantrum.

Obama is going to get to nominate a justice before he leaves office, removing one of the most Conservative justices for one more moderate or liberal.

Look for the Senate to drag their feet like children throwing a tantrum.
Dems only need 5-6 Republicans to force a vote and confirm. Now is the time to find out who is buyable because it is time to CASH IN.

Drag their feet for eleven months during an election year?

I don't think they can hold out.
Really? You don't think the Republican senators that are actually up for re-election won't use it as a rallying point for their base?

Dave

Staff member
In tomorrow's news, Scalia's Death Overshadowed By Republican Fuckwits.

edit: And Democratic fuckwits. I hadn't seen their immediate calls to nominate. Let the guy have a day or two of peace before we dance on his grave.

Zappit

Staff member
Look at the Republican field right now. Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are on top. The Republican senators up for reelection could act like angry cavemen and it will only boost their polls.

Reactions: Dei
The reaction to his death, especially the way all the hyenas immediately began fighting over his corpse, is shameful. They couldn't even pretend to have some respect. The "us vs. them, win at all costs" mentality is sickening. This goes for every politician trying to take advantage of Scalia's death.

As for the man himself, I rarely ever agreed with him on anything. However, he helped shape the court, and this country, for 30 years. It's an impressive legacy.

Really? You don't think the Republican senators that are actually up for re-election won't use it as a rallying point for their base?
I expect them to try, but the last time the Republicans tried to sit on something in order to have their way, it didn't last even one month.

Zappit

Staff member
It is pretty sick how so many of the politicians aren't waiting even a day to launch into attacks on the other side.

However, on that note, I do feel that a new justice should be appointed fairly quickly. We're hearing from certain folks that it should be left for the next president to appoint a justice. Yes, eleven months with an incomplete SC is what we need. :rolleyes:

And now the conspiracy nuts are coming out: POTUS had Scalia killed. :rolleyes:
"Government is incompetent and a waste, except when they're doing illegal and immoral stuff, when they're suddenly efficient, practical, solid, and great organizers and good at keeping secrets".

I'm not at all surprised - as a conspiracy it makes sense - but most such conspiracy theories just fail because they assume a competent yet evil government. If they could keep crap like this under wraps, there wouldn't be a Benghazi or Wikileaks.

Anyway, if POTUS did it, he waited a month or two too long; there'd have been less contention a bit before the primaries. Government contractors, always behind schedule...

And now the conspiracy nuts are coming out: POTUS had Scalia killed. :rolleyes:
Well... actually, Scalia being dead means that the Climate Change bill they were going to rule on is going to undergo a drastically different process: instead of being rejected 5-4 like they indicated, it's now 4-4 to even SEE IT so whatever the appealette court (full of Democrats) rules will stand unless the new judge is brought into the fold soon. I could see a legit conspiracy theory there... with Scalia gone, it'll pass through unchallenged. It's probably bullshit, but it's not like I couldn't see it happening ether.

I do have to say that I appreciated Trump's honesty about the nomination: that he'd appoint if he was president, and that saying it's a power grab's just hypocritical.

I wish I could remember who wrote it, but someone on my Twitter timeline wrote (re: Scalia's death) something like, "If this election was a season of West Wing, you'd be going 'Come on.'"
To be fair, didn't they actually replace an old conservative Justice during re-election on TWW? I'm not entirely sure anymore on the exact timeline, it's been a while...

To be fair, didn't they actually replace an old conservative Justice during re-election on TWW? I'm not entirely sure anymore on the exact timeline, it's been a while...
It's been a while for me too, but as far as I recall, they had three nominations for Supreme Court justices in the West Wing. The first one was Mendoza, who replaced a retiring liberal justice. The second and third were Lang and Mulready, a liberal and a conservative, who were deliberately sent to the Supreme Court at the same time in order to keep the peace between the Republicans and Democrats. I'm pretty sure none of them took place during a reelection campaign.

edit: And Democratic fuckwits. I hadn't seen their immediate calls to nominate. Let the guy have a day or two of peace before we dance on his grave.
Pretty much this. Even if you absolutely detested the man (I certainly did), respect the dead and the office and give it a couple days before making a puppet of his corpse and making it dance for whichever side suits your fancy.

I will, however, miss his dissents. The man had a great command of sarcasm, and a lot of them were gold (see #1 and 5, here: http://www.cracked.com/article_19147_5-awesomely-sarcastic-supreme-court-decisions.html ).

Fuck that old bastard.