Still here.

82? As in years old? As in born in 1934?? As in remembers WWII, the development of vaccines, color televisions, etc.??

If so, and not to be a complete jerk, but do you comprehend all the ridiculous crap we talk about on here? The reason I ask is because my grandmother is around that age and has never used a computer.

Congratulations and happy birthday! I wish you many more!

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Happy birthday! I think if anyone should do an AMA it would be you. I mean, I get crap about being old but you have me beat by 32 whole years!

My question: What did you do for a career (that is, if you are not still working) and how has that profession changed?

82? As in years old? As in born in 1934?? As in remembers WWII, the development of vaccines, color televisions, etc.??

If so, and not to be a complete jerk, but do you comprehend all the ridiculous crap we talk about on here? The reason I ask is because my grandmother is around that age and has never used a computer.

Congratulations and happy birthday! I wish you many more!
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And black and white T.V.'s

I became interested in computers when my two youngest grand daughters were given Amstrad CPC's in 1993. I even learned Basic![DOUBLEPOST=1454013444,1454013111][/DOUBLEPOST]
Happy birthday! I think if anyone should do an AMA it would be you. I mean, I get crap about being old but you have me beat by 32 whole years!

My question: What did you do for a career (that is, if you are not still working) and how has that profession changed?
Too much for a quick answer Dave. If enough people are interested I would be happy to write a short Autobiography for the forum.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Hurray!

And Dave, age isn't about years. You're this forum's dad figure so you're comparatively old. Grytpipe-thynne may have logged many years, but he's still just the oldest of the annoying kids you have to care for

Not very birthdayish I know, but it's the closest I could get when thinking stormtroopers, birthday, old..... believe it's titled "meanwhile at the stormtrooper retirement home"....

Happy day to you good sir.

I wanted to find a unique and appropriately British way to wish you a happy birthday.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate, but it is certainly unique.

Good grief, what have I done!?

Firstly, Thank You to all of you wonderful people for your kind wishes and remarks.

As for the article, I will do my best for you and post it as soon as possible.

Er, What is an AMA thread ?

A Brief History of Mine.

I was born on Sunday the twenty eighth of January Nineteen thirty four, the fifth child of what would become
a family of eight. We lived in a small village about four miles from the Port of Dover in the County of Kent. My father worked for the Water Company, and we had a Company House.
My earliest memories coincide with the start of the second world war when I was five years old. At first not much happened, but when France was occupied we were in range of not only the Luftwaffe, but also long range artillery guns. This is when things started to get interesting. Dover was obviously a prime target, as was a large Radar installation on nearby cliffs. The Battle of Britain took above our heads, which was a great spectator sport for we young lads. At that age we did not think of the Human cost of an aircraft being shot down, and of course they were not all "The Enemy". Later, daily air raids eased off, and night raids became m ore regular. For a while we were living in what was virtually a Battle Zone, with bombs, shells, the noise of the local anti aircraft guns, now mostly at night. By day we walked the mile to school in the next village where two "Schoolmarms" did their best to give us an education.
After a while things quietened down, and several camps of troops sprang up around the area. These were soldiers from many countries assembling for the invasion. We children soon found that the Americans (Or Yanks as they were collectively called!) were good for chewing gum and candy.:)
When all of camps closed after the invasion things became more or less normal. The odd "Doodle Bug" passed overhead on it's way to London, which would start the AA guns going again, but we thought nothing of this. In January 1945 my second oldest Brother, a crew member in a Lancaster Bomber failed to make it home. Now we had to face the true cost of war.
In 1949 I left school and started a job with a man repairing agricultural machinery, but I was not content with that. Years earlier I had become interested in Aircraft, which was strengthened when my brother joined the R.A.F. so, with visions of the wild blue yonder, on my Sixteenth birthday I enlisted as a Boy Entrant into the Royal Air Force. Unfortunately my rudimentary education was inadequate for Aircrew, so I started training as an aero engine fitter. Eighteen months later I entered the Real air force working on real aeroplanes that actually flew.
When I was Nineteen I met, and Married my first Wife, Betty. Betty never really took to Service life. With partings when posted, irregular hours, and such she was unsettled. However, we still managed to produce five Children over the next eleven years!
In 1964 I left the Air Force and began working for a living. Over the next Sixteen years I had several jobs. These were mainly in engineering, but I spent a couple of years lorry (Truck!) Driving. This of course put more strain on our marriage, with me sometimes away for a couple of days. We agreed to part after our youngest sons' Eighteenth birthday, when he became an adult. This we did. By then I had recently started what was to be my last job. I got a Government job at the local R.A.F. station.
I now spent Ten years alone, which was ended when in 1990 a recently widowed lady moved in next door to me. Naturally, after a while we became close, and we got married on July Fourth 1992. We now live in the small village of Sporle in the county of Norfolk, poor, but Happy!!

Well there you are. Any questions, criticism?

Dave

Staff member
I picture you telling your story as either your avatar or the old RAF rooster from Chicken Run...what what!

That's extremely interesting, actually. I'm going to formulate a question or two for ya.