[Brazelton] Steve Jobs Has Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappit

Staff member
Just breaking news now - no links yet - it's on the breaking news banner of the Yahoo page.

Msnbc is reporting it, too, now.

fade

Staff member
:(

Haters will hate, but the man was a visionary. The technology world is poorer for his death.

No doubt he had an impact on the computing world, I'm just wondering, in reality, how much of the "genius" was his own ideas. None the less, a man who will forever be remembered in Tech History.

fade

Staff member
That's a valid question. Most of it was likely designed by someone else, but he had the vision to push the good ideas out to the public in a way the public would consume it.

This news traveled fast through my workplace. Lots of glances, raised eyebrows, and shrugs in between helping customers.

I think what I will miss most is now never knowing what was coming *next*.

Thanks for dragging us into the Future, Steve. And thanks for not caring whether or not we were ready for it.

--Patrick

M

makare

It took me forever to remember how his last name is pronounced. God speed tech man.

Dear Mr. Jobs, thank you for doing more than your part to drag the rest of us, kicking and screaming, into the future.

RIP.

M

makare

I always wanted to pronounce it like Jobe like Job from the bible. I mean Jobs is a seriously stupid last name. I was giving him the benefit of my mispronunciation.

I don't know how much a technical innovator Steve Jobs was, but what I do know is that he helped make personal computers into a viable consumer good - he was part of what made new technology profitable. There were mp3 players before the iPod - I think Sony had one - but he made them part of the culture. There were tablet computers before the iPad, but again, he made them into a cool, desirable product instead of a tool for specific purposes.

RIP Mr Jobs.

No doubt he had an impact on the computing world, I'm just wondering, in reality, how much of the "genius" was his own ideas. None the less, a man who will forever be remembered in Tech History.
There's more to genius than pure technical skill. Wozniak would be the first to say if it wasn't for Jobs there would be no Apple Computer. The hardware design? Sure. An everything included machine like packaged and sold to users not to engineers? Probably not.

My family's first computer was a Macintosh Centris 610. I remember cursing Apple because it never seemed to be compatible with the newer games. For a while it seemed like Mac computers were only for graphic designers and professional photographers. But then the iMacs (no floppy drive) and the first iPods came out, and Apple stuff suddenly became cool.

There would not be a Pixar as we know it today without Steve Jobs.

I admire the fact that he continued working until the bitter end, and never let his illness become a major distraction.

Apple just isn't going to be the same, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.