[Movies] Star Wars Ep. VIII has a name...

I'd say more like being born with a chunk of iron ore you occasionally hit someone with, and having it forged into a sword.

I get that no one is forcing them to stay. dooku is well trained. But the guys I'm specifically talking about failed their training but got enough to be more dangerous. That's why I compared it to dragon age.

Damn, i forgot to answer this...

I'd say more like being born with a chunk of iron ore you occasionally hit someone with, and having it forged into a sword.
Implying a mace is less of a weapon then a sword... for shame.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hear tell I shouldn't watch that trailer if I don't want spoilers, so I will continue to plug my ears and LA LA LA LA until I'm watching the movie in the theater.

fade

Staff member
I really really hope Luke is not Snoke. That just goes against everything in the original trilogy.

I really really hope Luke is not Snoke. That just goes against everything in the original trilogy.
I'm certain it's not.

However, it wouldn't go against the original trilogy - good becomes bad (becomes good). It would echo the second trilogy (I-III) in that a bad guy in disguise lures a good person with some darkness to the dark side.

It would just require rey to "save" snoke/luke in the third movie.

But again, I don't think that's in the cards. From various sources here's what we know of what happened immediately prior to episode 7:

Snoke had several apprentices before he became invested in the Skywalker bloodline, believing General Leia Organaand Han Solo's son, Ben Solo, the grandson of Darth Vader and nephew of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, had the right balance of the dark and light sides of the Force in him.[1]
Leia was aware of the influence Snoke could have on her son, but did not inform Han, believing he would not understand, and that, as a Force-sensitive, it was her responsibility to keep Ben away from the dark side.[1] Eventually, Snoke successfully turned Ben to the dark side, anointing him Kylo Ren, master of the Knights of Ren, and ordered him to destroy Skywalker's revived Jedi Order. Though Ren succeeded in slaughtering the entirety of the fledgling Jedi Order, Skywalker managed to escape into hiding.[2]

So there are still a lot of echos of previous storylines rolling through the current storyline, and it would fit to not have luke as snoke.

fade

Staff member
I'm certain it's not.

However, it wouldn't go against the original trilogy - good becomes bad (becomes good). It would echo the second trilogy (I-III) in that a bad guy in disguise lures a good person with some darkness to the dark side.

But again, I don't think that's in the cards. From various sources here's what we know of what happened immediately prior to episode 7:

Snoke had several apprentices before he became invested in the Skywalker bloodline, believing General Leia Organaand Han Solo's son, Ben Solo, the grandson of Darth Vader and nephew of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, had the right balance of the dark and light sides of the Force in him.[1]
Leia was aware of the influence Snoke could have on her son, but did not inform Han, believing he would not understand, and that, as a Force-sensitive, it was her responsibility to keep Ben away from the dark side.[1] Eventually, Snoke successfully turned Ben to the dark side, anointing him Kylo Ren, master of the Knights of Ren, and ordered him to destroy Skywalker's revived Jedi Order. Though Ren succeeded in slaughtering the entirety of the fledgling Jedi Order, Skywalker managed to escape into hiding.[2]

So there are still a lot of echos of previous storylines rolling through the current storyline, and it would fit to not have luke as snoke.
I actually meant to type it goes against everything Luke was in the original trilogy, not the everything in the trilogy.

Dave

Staff member
I'm certain it's not.

They really need to have a movie prequel about that spoiler. The next prequel could be the gathering of information on the second Death Star (I want to see Bothans die, damn it!) and then they could do the spoiler movie.

fade

Staff member
As pointed out in various places, the posters always have the villain as the large head in the background:

Well...that is arguably not true for the episode II.[DOUBLEPOST=1507748506,1507748436][/DOUBLEPOST]Cue people casting aspersions at the acting or pointing out that Anakin eventually becomes a villain, even though he was not in that film.

At first glance I thought this was going to be one of those "...not you" memes, and I wondered what Empire did wrong.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Well...that is arguably not true for the episode II.[DOUBLEPOST=1507748506,1507748436][/DOUBLEPOST]Cue people casting aspersions at the acting or pointing out that Anakin eventually becomes a villain, even though he was not in that film.
Clearly it's the sand. We know Ani's feelings on sand.

fade

Staff member
Also, if I was Rey, I might be a little afraid to use that saber, seeing as how the last two dudes to use it lost some body parts.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've heard several people say that it's "obvious" they're going to kill off Luke because the title is "The Last Jedi" and that for Rey to be the last, Luke will have to die.

I say they're thinking too small. Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.

Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.
Why, hello there, most obviously evil and going to betray you, and yet compelling and totally understandable why you'd keep her around even if you knew that, former Sith Lady...

fade

Staff member
The real twist is that the books they keep showing are Ash's college textbooks, and Ash pops up out of that manhole they focus on realizing that he slept too long (like the deleted alternate ending scene from army of darkness). The sith are revealed to be deadites, Ash and Luke team up as amputee buddies, and the ultimate deadite fight begins. Roll credits. Fin. That's a wrap.

I've heard several people say that it's "obvious" they're going to kill off Luke because the title is "The Last Jedi" and that for Rey to be the last, Luke will have to die.

I say they're thinking too small. Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.
In various other languages, the title translates as the plural version of "the last Jedi", not singular. (In French, for example, Les Derniers Jedi). Anyone who thinks "only" Rey or Luke can remain really hasn't done their homework.

In various other languages, the title translates as the plural version of "the last Jedi", not singular. (In French, for example, Les Derniers Jedi). Anyone who thinks "only" Rey or Luke can remain really hasn't done their homework.
Yup, i was just at the IMAX for Blade Runner 2049, and the dubbed trailer for SW was using the plural for the title.