[Movies] Star Wars Ep. VIII has a name...

Man, you guys are harsh on Lucas.
I agree. He certainly dropped the ball on the prequels and the remakes, up to a point, and I do think part of that is a lack of a good sounding board/people who can help with constructive critizism. But he definitely does have talented and managed to create some great things.

Man, you guys are harsh on Lucas.
I really disliked the prequels and have only seen them once, but I still think he is/was a visionary and has inspired innovations in filmmaking. I was upset with him after the prequels, but I have chilled out a bit since then. My childhood wasn't raped; just offered some candy and a ride.

At this point I feel kinda glad I've never watched Community, it sounds like their cast members keep popping up elsewhere and destroying immersion.

GasBandit

Staff member
At this point I feel kinda glad I've never watched Community, it sounds like their cast members keep popping up elsewhere and destroying immersion.
Eh, mostly just Danny Pudi and Don Glover.

Occasionally Allison Brie.

But the reason is because Community was so gosh darn enjoyable.

I thought Glover overacted in the The Martian too. And, yes, should have been Abed.

And, the directors are comedy/cartoon directors. So, is this going to be a "funny" SW movie? Ugh. I sure hope not.
So, I am not exactly thrilled about this movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought Glover overacted in the The Martian too. And, yes, should have been Abed.
It was made all the more impossible to ignore because it so directly reminded me of the "Freaky Friday" community episode where Troy and Abed pretended to be each other for the whole episode.

Hmm...

Rey's reaction at the start of the trailer makes me think she also had a vision of something she didn't like. There's also Luke training Rey, Rey rushing off somewhere to do something lightsabery, Finn and Poe in peril, the good guys' base getting hit... all in all, it feels like they're aiming for the same story beats as Empire Strikes Back.

I'm probably wrong. I hope I'm wrong. After the criticism of how TFA was too similar to A New Hope, there's no way they'd make the same mistake again, right? Right?

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm...

Rey's reaction at the start of the trailer makes me think she also had a vision of something she didn't like. There's also Luke training Rey, Rey rushing off somewhere to do something lightsabery, Finn and Poe in peril, the good guys' base getting hit... all in all, it feels like they're aiming for the same story beats as Empire Strikes Back.

I'm probably wrong. I hope I'm wrong. After the criticism of how TFA was too similar to A New Hope, there's no way they'd make the same mistake again, right? Right?
I just made a coworker flabbergasted by saying "This is Empire Strikes Back again, just like the last one was A New Hope again. Calling it now, the big reveal will be that Luke is Rei's father... and is also Snoke."

I just threw that last bit in to tease him a little bit and BOY did it hit a nerve.

Dave

Staff member
Ever thought that this is on purpose? That last line about how the Jedi have to end might be alluding to the fact that as long as there are Jedi & Sith running around, history will continue to repeat itself over and over. Once the balance is struck there's no need for either any longer and the cycle will be broken.

I still like my idea that she is a "force reincarnation" of Anakin. Given how Kylo Ren worships Anakin, it'd add a lot to their dynamic IMO.

Meh.

I mean, I'll still eventually see it (not opening weekend or anything), but...meh?

I find it harder and harder to get excited for these movies anymore.

I'm pretty sure Rei is a palpatine. There has always been a Skywalker and a Palpatine!
That'd be crazy, but I kinda love it.

I take the critiques of sameness of TFA same as with Marvel; it's populist buzzword buzzard shit. TFA hits beats, but it's like calling two breeds of dog the same because they have fur and piss on your lawn. Both a Labrador and a schnauzer may have those attributes, but they're not the same thing. Be my guest to all who want Youtubers to ruin your moviegoing experience; whether Channel Awesome whines "saaame" or not, I'm gonna absorb the joy I can get out of it. We're all gonna die some day; it's each our own choice how we handle getting good Star Wars movies after 30 years of drought.[DOUBLEPOST=1492210068,1492209956][/DOUBLEPOST]
I find it harder and harder to get excited for these movies anymore.

I swear I typed that before you posted, but no one will ever believe me :p. You're feeling this way about things from your past; maybe there are new things you'd like better than old things that no longer do it for you. Things that were never scored by John Williams.

I swear I typed that before you posted, but no one will ever believe me :p. You're feeling this way about things from your past; maybe there are new things you'd like better than old things that no longer do it for you. Things that were never scored by John Williams.
Honestly, I was never really huge into Star Wars. I liked it well enough and enjoyed watching them, but I never went absolutely apeshit for them like many of my friends. Same as the two new ones. I liked them, but that's about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, I was never really huge into Star Wars. I liked it well enough and enjoyed watching them, but I never went absolutely apeshit for them like many of my friends. Same as the two new ones. I liked them, but that's about it.
I *was* absolutely apeshit over all things Star Wars, in the 90s. You know, back when there were only 3 movies and every single one of the video games were awesome.

The first nail in the coffin was Phantom Menace.

The last nail in the coffin was Force Unleashed.

But yeah, I'll pay my nerd tax and still go see it.

Reactions: Jay